Does anyone hate their job? #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Is this a generational thing? 21 yr old at work is messaging all day on her phone at work. Turn to ask her to do something and she’s messaging. She comes back from 1hr lunch break, sits down and starts messaging. Do some frigging work!
100%. About half the people I work with are aged 20-30 and from different cultures, and by far the worst are British people who live "extremely online" lives and haven't known life without. They don't even know there's anything wrong with doing stuff on their phone at work and they certainly aren't aware that it is *literally* constant. Some watch videos at their desks while they work. They're not just listening either, they've got an eye on their phones watching some really trivial tit (yesterday it was unboxing/hauls/makeup tutorials) as they're working, phone propped up next to their monitor.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 6
100%. About half the people I work with are aged 20-30 and from different cultures, and by far the worst are British people who live "extremely online" lives and haven't known life without. They don't even know there's anything wrong with doing stuff on their phone at work and they certainly aren't aware that it is *literally* constant. Some watch videos at their desks while they work. They're not just listening either, they've got an eye on their phones watching some really trivial tit (yesterday it was unboxing/hauls/makeup tutorials) as they're working, phone propped up next to their monitor.
I can’t even say anything because it’s my boss’s daughter 🙄
She was on the Zara website shopping one day the other week as soon as her dad left the office.

• Angry
  • Wow
I know I'm leaving but my boss still wants 1-2-1s with me. He spends the entire time just berating me and being patronising. It's got to the point that I just cry after (privately) because my morale and confidence are so low. It's really affecting my job search as I just hear constant negativity from him so my brain is starting to think that I'm just crap at it all.

Sorry for the moan but just had another cry. Leaving soon but I just wish it would hurry up!

• Sad
  • Heart
  • Angry
I know I'm leaving but my boss still wants 1-2-1s with me. He spends the entire time just berating me and being patronising. It's got to the point that I just cry after (privately) because my morale and confidence are so low. It's really affecting my job search as I just hear constant negativity from him so my brain is starting to think that I'm just crap at it all.

Sorry for the moan but just had another cry. Leaving soon but I just wish it would hurry up!
How much longer is your notice period? You could always ask to be signed off with work related stress.. it’s not ideal I know, but he’s being so horrible and making you miserable it’s definitely warranted!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
How much longer is your notice period? You could always ask to be signed off with work related stress.. it’s not ideal I know, but he’s being so horrible and making you miserable it’s definitely warranted!
I leave end of December.

It is a really awful atmosphere at the moment and I'm feeling really bad mentally so I think a chat with the GP is needed anyway.

What's kept me going is that I get some time off for Xmas so I'm not in work as much this month thankfully. Once Xmas is done then it'll be my last day so only two more weeks to go.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I leave end of December.

It is a really awful atmosphere at the moment and I'm feeling really bad mentally so I think a chat with the GP is needed anyway.

What's kept me going is that I get some time off for Xmas so I'm not in work as much this month thankfully. Once Xmas is done then it'll be my last day so only two more weeks to go.
Decline those 1-2-1, he did the same to you with not much notice. Two can play that game and it can’t get worse if he’s berating you in those meetings! Sod him and crappy managers, I really have had enough of him just from reading your experience here.

• Heart
Wow reading this thread is so interesting. It reminds me of an absolute diabolical place I once worked. Husband and wife owned the company together, but often dragged their personal lives into work. We were all employed as admin/order processors for their service which they were both qualified in. More often than not they’d have to send us admin staff out to collect their kids from school. They thought they were justified in this due to the fact they provided company cars. They clearly hated eachother and would witch about one another to us staff. Then it came around that they were getting a divorce and would have personal phone calls in the office about lawyers and custody of their kids, shouting at eachother and fighting and police having to be called to the office. Their house was quite close to the office so they’d often call us over to their house to collect stuff, deal with letters, let the dog out etc. The final straw for my colleague was when the man was just moving out and the woman had been away on holiday, anyway he had left the house an absolute tip whilst she was away and done no housework. He called the office and asked my colleague to nip over and help him tidy up before she got home 🤣 He was going on at my colleague asking her to do the hoovering quicker as she’d be due back any minute. It was all very ODD. Then another occasion the man had trod in glass and he asked us to help him get it out. We all left shortly after and the business went under. It was fantastic comedy at the time.

• Wow
Decline those 1-2-1, he did the same to you with not much notice. Two can play that game and it can’t get worse if he’s berating you in those meetings! Sod him and crappy managers, I really have had enough of him just from reading your experience here.
I really wish I had the confidence to do things like this, but thank you.

I honestly don't know if this is a game for him or not now. He sent an email this morning asking for screenshots of how many emails I have in my inbox. It's just ridiculous and has no rhyme or reason to it. He'll get his bleeping screenshot once I've done everything else on my to-do list (if I don't do it he'll just use it as a stick to beat me with next time).

I told him that I didn't have the time to do everything in my inbox when he wanted it done by. The reason for this? I have to deal with other department work too so I don't have enough hours in the day. I even worked early and through my lunch yesterday and I got a "if you don't have time then I want proof that you have no time" response from him.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 4
My partner asked me what I was up to. My response:
"Oh just taking screenshots of my email inbox and every folder as my boss wants to know the exact number of emails I have".

His face was like wtf..lol!

I know I need to laugh else I'll cry.

• Haha
  • Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
Wow reading this thread is so interesting. It reminds me of an absolute diabolical place I once worked. Husband and wife owned the company together, but often dragged their personal lives into work. We were all employed as admin/order processors for their service which they were both qualified in. More often than not they’d have to send us admin staff out to collect their kids from school. They thought they were justified in this due to the fact they provided company cars. They clearly hated eachother and would witch about one another to us staff. Then it came around that they were getting a divorce and would have personal phone calls in the office about lawyers and custody of their kids, shouting at eachother and fighting and police having to be called to the office. Their house was quite close to the office so they’d often call us over to their house to collect stuff, deal with letters, let the dog out etc. The final straw for my colleague was when the man was just moving out and the woman had been away on holiday, anyway he had left the house an absolute tip whilst she was away and done no housework. He called the office and asked my colleague to nip over and help him tidy up before she got home 🤣 He was going on at my colleague asking her to do the hoovering quicker as she’d be due back any minute. It was all very ODD. Then another occasion the man had trod in glass and he asked us to help him get it out. We all left shortly after and the business went under. It was fantastic comedy at the time.
WHAT :oops: As if being asked to pick their kids up and clean their house wasn't bad enough - you were subjected to all their domestics and break down of their marriage. I feel for you!

"Oh just taking screenshots of my email inbox and every folder as my boss wants to know the exact number of emails I have".

It's bullying at this point, surely. Can you speak with HR?

Reactions: 1
I really wish I had the confidence to do things like this, but thank you.

I honestly don't know if this is a game for him or not now. He sent an email this morning asking for screenshots of how many emails I have in my inbox. It's just ridiculous and has no rhyme or reason to it. He'll get his bleeping screenshot once I've done everything else on my to-do list (if I don't do it he'll just use it as a stick to beat me with next time).

I told him that I didn't have the time to do everything in my inbox when he wanted it done by. The reason for this? I have to deal with other department work too so I don't have enough hours in the day. I even worked early and through my lunch yesterday and I got a "if you don't have time then I want proof that you have no time" response from him.
Can you get a note from the doctor to get out fast? This is first-class bullying and even if it's "only" three weeks or so left, this is a horrible situation to be in.

• Heart

what is his relationship like with your colleagues??! is it just you he torments like this? and are any of them even aware any of this is going on??

• Heart
what is his relationship like with your colleagues??! is it just you he torments like this? and are any of them even aware any of this is going on??
I'm going to be honest some people in my team seem to be really good pals with him so I'm worried if I say something it'll get back to him. It's a small team in my department so I've kept myself to myself regarding this. I know maybe I shouldn't have, and everyone else in my team are OK with me, but I am a bit nervous what could potentially get back to him.

I've called my GP surgery to speak to a GP and awaiting a call back. I think I'm going to ask to be signed off, although never been signed off before so not sure of the process. I received a couple of crappy emails from boss this morning and I had a panic attack at home. Bloody awful.

I honestly will never understand why people can be like this. Thankfully I'm having counselling (about general issues) which is helping in terms of being able to talk through this.

Thanks everyone ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I'm going to be honest some people in my team seem to be really good pals with him so I'm worried if I say something it'll get back to him. It's a small team in my department so I've kept myself to myself regarding this. I know maybe I shouldn't have, and everyone else in my team are OK with me, but I am a bit nervous what could potentially get back to him.

I've called my GP surgery to speak to a GP and awaiting a call back. I think I'm going to ask to be signed off, although never been signed off before so not sure of the process. I received a couple of crappy emails from boss this morning and I had a panic attack at home. Bloody awful.

I honestly will never understand why people can be like this. Thankfully I'm having counselling (about general issues) which is helping in terms of being able to talk through this.

Thanks everyone ❤
You don't deserve to be experiencing this, your manager has a responsibility for the wellbeing of staff and if you're signed off I hope he feels guilty for the way he's treating you.
I'm so sorry.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
You don't deserve to be experiencing this, your manager has a responsibility for the wellbeing of staff and if you're signed off I hope he feels guilty for the way he's treating you.
I'm so sorry.
Thank you.

I've always had poor mental health (although I've had long periods where I've been OK). This whole situation has really affected me and I can feel myself spiralling.

With the high(ish) turnover in my department I have a gut feeling this has happened before with previous members of staff. My boss seems to be the 'gatekeeper' of my department and I have a feeling if he feels your face doesn't fit then he doesn't want you there.

• Angry
Thank you.

I've always had poor mental health (although I've had long periods where I've been OK). This whole situation has really affected me and I can feel myself spiralling.

With the high(ish) turnover in my department I have a gut feeling this has happened before with previous members of staff. My boss seems to be the 'gatekeeper' of my department and I have a feeling if he feels your face doesn't fit then he doesn't want you there.
My ex boss was the same, she always had a target and bullied them out of the business. She turned on me and I stood it for over a year, before I escalated it above her - I had evidence and other colleagues backed me, so she was threatened to be fired and found a new job before they did, but it could have easily been my word against her's and I'd of been in a similar position mentally.

• Heart
I feel like I may have someone like that on my team - not my boss, but the boss of most of the people in my team (I'm separate, part of the team but different reporting line). I'm still new, so I get a bit of a fresh look on everything while trying to find my way around and integrate with my team. I fear that the boss has a tendency to have some drama in the team centered around one person. There's one right now (admittedly, this one seems somewhat justified as we seem to have someone doing zero work), but there was also a huge drama before I joined.

• Sad
I feel like I may have someone like that on my team - not my boss, but the boss of most of the people in my team (I'm separate, part of the team but different reporting line). I'm still new, so I get a bit of a fresh look on everything while trying to find my way around and integrate with my team. I fear that the boss has a tendency to have some drama in the team centered around one person. There's one right now (admittedly, this one seems somewhat justified as we seem to have someone doing zero work), but there was also a huge drama before I joined.
Can't make for a nice working environment, especially if you're quite new :oops:

I like my new job (I think) but I don't have a clue about anything and I'm finding that really hard, having come from a place where I knew quite a lot and was the go-to.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I like my new job (I think) but I don't have a clue about anything and I'm finding that really hard, having come from a place where I knew quite a lot and was the go-to.
Be kind to yourself - treat yourself with the same grace you would of someone new who joined your previous company, where you knew lots and wouldn't expect a newbie to! (y)
I hope you find your feet soon!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.