Does anyone hate their job? #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I had a first stage interview this week and it went well, job sounds good, the lady was really nice. But then at the end she said it was actually across two offices and I’d have to commute to the other one (an hour and a half away) once a week 😒 I feel like this should have been in the job advert surely

• Sad
Reactions: 7
I had a first stage interview this week and it went well, job sounds good, the lady was really nice. But then at the end she said it was actually across two offices and I’d have to commute to the other one (an hour and a half away) once a week 😒 I feel like this should have been in the job advert surely
that is so sneaky. defo should’ve been in the advert as I imagine it’s put a lot of people off (rightly so).

Reactions: 6
I thankfully got some good news this week. I got a new position in the same company that I work in, but a different department. Last week I received the devastating news that a boy who bullied me on my last role got a promotion to my department. I was ready to hand in my notice, when I got the good news that I got a new role too. Its mad how things can change so quickly.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I’m looking for a new job. Any interview tips? I work in the NHS, I’m a band 7and I’ve applied for another post in a different Trust, I’m desperate for a change but I can get tongue tied in interviews

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I’m looking for a new job. Any interview tips? I work in the NHS, I’m a band 7and I’ve applied for another post in a different Trust, I’m desperate for a change but I can get tongue tied in interviews
I haven't interviewed in years but know how you feel. I interviewed REALLY badly despite actually being a nice person and extremely good at my job 😆

My advice would be to take a relaxant. That's what I would do if I needed to interview now. From what I've heard the interview process has become a bit absurd with people asking weird questions to "test" you etc
When did having to explain you need money to live on become a thing

Reactions: 4
I haven't interviewed in years but know how you feel. I interviewed REALLY badly despite actually being a nice person and extremely good at my job 😆

My advice would be to take a relaxant. That's what I would do if I needed to interview now. From what I've heard the interview process has become a bit absurd with people asking weird questions to "test" you etc
When did having to explain you need money to live on become a thing
This is a very good point
Q: Why do you want this job?
A: Because I’m passionate about being shouted at on the phone??
Course bloody not. We want MONEY. I like food and drink and clothes and they ain’t free that’s why I want the job😂
Of course some careers are different. But ultimately even if we love our jobs I highly doubt anyone would do them full time for free.

Interviews are HARD. It’s not really fair judging someone on how they answer questions about their skills in a high pressure environment. People can talk the talk but when it comes to it and doing the job well I bet those people aren’t always the best for the role.

Reactions: 6

I don't know much about the NHS and the band system (not in the UK), but I've sat at the interviewer side of the table plenty of times. Try to get someone who can do a mock interview with you. It feels a bit weird at first, but I promise you this is very common and really helpful, especially if you can get someone from that field or a related field. Some people even offer interview training for free as part of volunteering.
Google for the position and company/trust you're applying for - often you can get a very good idea about the questions you'll be asked upfront already and prep prep for that. Make a plan about what you want to get address, even if you don't have all the questions already, it often helps to simply have keywords written down (and most employers, even in an in-person interview will let you use notes, they like it if you come prepared!).
A good interviewer should make you feel relaxed, knowing that this is a stressful and uncommon situation. At the same time, I am, when interviewing, trying to assess how people work when situations aren't perfect. So I'm not out to test someone, but doing a job when conditions are perfect is different from doing is well when conditions aren't. If you work in an environment where conditions can get wonky fast, I need to make sure that I'm assessing that in the interview. You can usually rule out people who can talk well but can't do the job quite well after such an interview (it's called STAR technique / behavioral interviewing). But even if you're in a field where that isn't used, I'd still try to get someone to mock the interview with, prep some points why you'd like to move there, etc. Money is one point, but since everybody needs to have some, it's also not a great distinguishing point....

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I've a lot going on in my life at the mo - health, love (or lackthereof), work- it all seems in flux. I work in an industry which is thankless and stressful AF. I've started coaching with a wonderful career coach who has made me really think about things in a very positive yet practical way and I have, for the first time in a long time, started to put myself first again. I started out thinking my job was ok, but then had some health and bereavement issues which floored me. Work were not supportive and have just treated me like yet another work horse. I was meant to be signed off sick and they asked me to come back early. It is also expected that people will work through their annual leave.

This is all kind of by the by - my path to happiness is working for myself again (I used to be self employed and loved it, but had my confidence knocked a bit.) I'm feeling so much more confident in myself again, and have a couple of other opportunities lined up that are much more 'me'. I have realised that repeating the same old patterns with the same old job just isn't working or serving me any longer and I plan to quit my job tomorrow with immediate effect.

I think I just need some encouragement that I'm making the right decision. If I carry on working at this place I will make myself (more) ill. It's so toxic and I can't do it anymore.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I've a lot going on in my life at the mo - health, love (or lackthereof), work- it all seems in flux. I work in an industry which is thankless and stressful AF. I've started coaching with a wonderful career coach who has made me really think about things in a very positive yet practical way and I have, for the first time in a long time, started to put myself first again. I started out thinking my job was ok, but then had some health and bereavement issues which floored me. Work were not supportive and have just treated me like yet another work horse. I was meant to be signed off sick and they asked me to come back early. It is also expected that people will work through their annual leave.

This is all kind of by the by - my path to happiness is working for myself again (I used to be self employed and loved it, but had my confidence knocked a bit.) I'm feeling so much more confident in myself again, and have a couple of other opportunities lined up that are much more 'me'. I have realised that repeating the same old patterns with the same old job just isn't working or serving me any longer and I plan to quit my job tomorrow with immediate effect.

I think I just need some encouragement that I'm making the right decision. If I carry on working at this place I will make myself (more) ill. It's so toxic and I can't do it anymore.
Sorry to hear that your current place haven't been supportive. However, good on you for realising the negative affect the environment there has on you and being brave enough to make changes.

You saying that you have noticed the same old job patterns aren't serving you anymore has resonated with me so much. Wishing you all the best!

• Heart
Sorry to hear that your current place haven't been supportive. However, good on you for realising the negative affect the place has on you and being brave enough to make changes. You saying that you have noticed the same old job patterns aren't serving you anymore have resonated with me so much. Wishing you all the best!
Thank you so much fellow Libra!!!

It sounds like such a cliche to say, but life is too short to spend any more time in an environment that isn't making you happy. I'm scared they won't let me leave with immediate effect but at the same time, I genuinely am not in a fit state to work at the moment.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I agree life is far too short! I just always think if I were to die tomorrow, nobody would be at my funeral saying “wow wasn’t it great she did all that overtime”! What is the point, it’s just work and we are all replaceable to our employers anyway.

All the best tomorrow! ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I agree life is far too short! I just always think if I were to die tomorrow, nobody would be at my funeral saying “wow wasn’t it great she did all that overtime”! What is the point, it’s just work and we are all replaceable to our employers anyway.

All the best tomorrow! ❤
You're really kind! Thank you 💗

Funnily enough my friend said the same about us all being replaceable to our employers...

I've called in sick... I genuinely think I need to be signed off so am going to speak to the doc.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 5
I've called in sick... I genuinely think I need to be signed off so am going to speak to the doc.
The main issue, which I think is causing me such burnout, is that taking a sick day is the only time I genuinely get a break. Due to permanent chronic staffing issues, I'm expected to work on at least one of the projects I manage while I'm on annual leave. It doesn't necessarily amount to a lot of work, but it's so draining to have to be always on...

• Wow
@Catnmouse, I honestly think walking out of that job is the only way. The do not treat you fairly and potentially even disregard some laws in making you work on days off. It's shite and a scary decision, but ultimately you give them your time and if you decide that your time is much better spent elsewhere, that's your prerogative.

• Heart
@Catnmouse, I honestly think walking out of that job is the only way. The do not treat you fairly and potentially even disregard some laws in making you work on days off. It's shite and a scary decision, but ultimately you give them your time and if you decide that your time is much better spent elsewhere, that's your prerogative.
Luckily it's a temporary contract so there will be a natural break in a couple of months. I think I have post viral fatigue after that nasty not-Covid-Covid-like virus that was knocking around before Christmas so I'm really not feeling up to working and certainly not going into the office at the moment anyway.

I just don't want to think about things at all for today

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.