Does anyone hate their job? #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I find out my fate today. I need a handhold really as I feel sick. I'm too anxious to even switch on my work laptop.
I'm so frustrated/upset that my boss thinks it's acceptable to leave me hanging like this. I feel awful mentally.
HR have been no help whatsoever unfortunately.

...the only good thing is I have an interview tomorrow for a job which pays more and has better flexibility alongside a much better commute. I personally believe in the whole "sometimes things happen for a reason" and I'm really hoping this is the case.

Still...handhold needed šŸ˜•

• Heart
Reactions: 17
I find out my fate today. I need a handhold really as I feel sick. I'm too anxious to even switch on my work laptop.
I'm so frustrated/upset that my boss thinks it's acceptable to leave me hanging like this. I feel awful mentally.
HR have been no help whatsoever unfortunately.

...the only good thing is I have an interview tomorrow for a job which pays more and has better flexibility alongside a much better commute. I personally believe in the whole "sometimes things happen for a reason" and I'm really hoping this is the case.

Still...handhold needed šŸ˜•
What a shite situation to have that hanging over you for the whole weekend ā¤ Wishing you all the luck for the interview tomorrow and that they're nice, because honestly, do you want to stick out in the current job? While it's a huge privilege to say to walk away from a job, the way they're treating you there seems awful. (although admittedly always also a bit scary to put yourself through the interviews and being the new one.)

• Heart
Reactions: 1
What a shite situation to have that hanging over you for the whole weekend ā¤ Wishing you all the luck for the interview tomorrow and that they're nice, because honestly, do you want to stick out in the current job? While it's a huge privilege to say to walk away from a job, the way they're treating you there seems awful. (although admittedly always also a bit scary to put yourself through the interviews and being the new one.)
Thank you ā¤
I've just come in to an email saying he has no time for the meeting today and he'll let me know later this week.
So in his mind he's going to "let me know" if I still have a job later this week šŸ˜³ and I have to just sit tight and wait and see.

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 7
Thank you ā¤
I've just come in to an email saying he has no time for the meeting today and he'll let me know later this week.
So in his mind he's going to "let me know" if I still have a job later this week šŸ˜³ and I have to just sit tight and wait and see.
I'm not sure if I had the balls for this, but I would advise asking him to make the time after having this hanging over you. And one more round to HR, maybe you get better help there this time. I'm pretty sure that that's not acceptable to hint that some bad news may be coming only to defer and defer the actual meeting.

Reactions: 5
I'm not sure if I had the balls for this, but I would advise asking him to make the time after having this hanging over you. And one more round to HR, maybe you get better help there this time. I'm pretty sure that that's not acceptable to hint that some bad news may be coming only to defer and defer the actual meeting.
Agree, confrontation-averse as I am I think this might just be the step too far for me. It's one thing and one example of poor practice to have you hanging on and worrying so far, but to cancel on you with short notice, no reschedule, no reason and no idea of when you might meet is just absolutely too much.

I wish you the very best with your interview - it sounds great. Even if nothing comes of it this time, I hope its good practice, gets you in the momentum of applications and thinking positively about your next move, and you can feel more hopeful. My fingers are crossed for you tomorrow!

Reactions: 4
I'm going to be honest I've been in bits all weekend and my anxiety has been through the roof. If I'm gonna be let go I'd rather just know now. My partner thinks he's done it on purpose šŸ˜„

I've sent manager a message asking if there's a reason it has been rearranged

Agree, confrontation-averse as I am I think this might just be the step too far for me. It's one thing and one example of poor practice to have you hanging on and worrying so far, but to cancel on you with short notice, no reschedule, no reason and no idea of when you might meet is just absolutely too much.

I wish you the very best with your interview - it sounds great. Even if nothing comes of it this time, I hope its good practice, gets you in the momentum of applications and thinking positively about your next move, and you can feel more hopeful. My fingers are crossed for you tomorrow!
Thank you.
Bit nervous for the interview but I'm going to prepare tonight thoroughly. Fingers crossed!

• Heart
I'm going to be honest I've been in bits all weekend and my anxiety has been through the roof. If I'm gonna be let go I'd rather just know now. My partner thinks he's done it on purpose šŸ˜„

I've sent manager a message asking if there's a reason it has been rearranged

Thank you.
Bit nervous for the interview but I'm going to prepare tonight thoroughly. Fingers crossed!
Good Luck for your interview!

I think it's more than reasonable to request an appointment (date/time) for this one to one with your manager, even if it is later in the week. No matter how busy your manager is, one of his duties is to manage the team and he should make time.

Gads Iā€™m so fed up with my manager.

Sheā€™s started checking up on my timesheet for no reason. Said she was ā€œcrossā€ with me today because I hadnā€™t done my timesheet on Friday (doesnā€™t need to be submitted until 12pm today..). Iā€™m not 5 years old, Iā€™m 30 and Iā€™ve done this job 7 years, I know how to do a timesheet.

Sheā€™s meant to do a top level review of work I review before it goes to client. Except she does a whole review again and without fail will have a question on a non issue and change half the wording in the cover letter. Today she said I had missed something because the client had made a typo - errr no it wasnā€™t a typo it related to last year. All the clients I am manager on used to be ā€œhersā€ and she wonā€™t let go.

I might just stop putting any effort in. I want to change team but canā€™t really until after February.

Also. I spent all weekend painting my bedroom and I sent pics to the team because it looks really good. She says it would look better with coving!! And why donā€™t I have a light shade? Just duck off and retire already.

Another also. She really babies her husband and 2 adult sons, itā€™s honestly unbelievable. Re this weekends painting she says to me on Friday ā€œwell Iā€™ve never had to do any painting because Iā€™ve got a husbandā€ like ok great I wouldnā€™t exactly boast about that? Then today she told me that the last time she and her husband visited her 30 year old son in London (from Edinburgh), her husband painted the whole flat because her son isnā€™t able to paint it himself! I mean wtf.

Sorry this is so long šŸ˜‚ I donā€™t have anyone IRL to vent to.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
I don't know if I hate my job or I like it. I donā€™t know if Iā€™m ignoring red flags, Im so confused.

Iā€™ll start by saying I really really like the company, the benefits and ethos are great. For a corporate company itā€™s quite relaxed, itā€™s relatively small and itā€™s friendly

The manager role Im in I ended up in by accident. -iā€™m experienced in the subject matter but not as a manager, more as an analyst-

I was approached by a head of dept who convinced me it would be a great stepping stone to climb the ladder within the company. However this head of dept has since been replaced and the replacement is a bit of a nightmare

Im starting to think that there wonā€™t be the same career opportunities for me now due to various little things that have happened/been said

Furthermore Iā€™m not loving my current position (which I thought would have been more short term) Iā€™ve been doing it almost 12 months but I really donā€™t think I can take another 12 months of it.

The new head of dept has shaken things up and implementing new rules and strategies which is making managing the team really difficult. People who have been there for years are leaving and his attitude is ā€˜fine we are leading people towards the edge who donā€™t want to be team playersā€™. I agree the department did need tightening up but I feel really conflicted about some of the changes. Plus operationally Iā€™m running a team on low numbers and he still wants results. For the first time Iā€™m my professional life I think Iā€™m suffering from work related stress.

I feel like Iā€™ve given my all to this role and to get the impression that it isnā€™t good enough really hurts. I donā€™t think the new head of dept would have ever approached me for this role

I suppose Iā€™m just annoyed that the old head of dept has left and the goal posts have changed. They really encouraged me however the replacement has me doubting my abilities

Sorry for the rant so early in the morning i just need to get my thoughts out

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Gads Iā€™m so fed up with my manager.

Sheā€™s started checking up on my timesheet for no reason. Said she was ā€œcrossā€ with me today because I hadnā€™t done my timesheet on Friday (doesnā€™t need to be submitted until 12pm today..). Iā€™m not 5 years old, Iā€™m 30 and Iā€™ve done this job 7 years, I know how to do a timesheet.

Sheā€™s meant to do a top level review of work I review before it goes to client. Except she does a whole review again and without fail will have a question on a non issue and change half the wording in the cover letter. Today she said I had missed something because the client had made a typo - errr no it wasnā€™t a typo it related to last year. All the clients I am manager on used to be ā€œhersā€ and she wonā€™t let go.

I might just stop putting any effort in. I want to change team but canā€™t really until after February.

Also. I spent all weekend painting my bedroom and I sent pics to the team because it looks really good. She says it would look better with coving!! And why donā€™t I have a light shade? Just duck off and retire already.

Another also. She really babies her husband and 2 adult sons, itā€™s honestly unbelievable. Re this weekends painting she says to me on Friday ā€œwell Iā€™ve never had to do any painting because Iā€™ve got a husbandā€ like ok great I wouldnā€™t exactly boast about that? Then today she told me that the last time she and her husband visited her 30 year old son in London (from Edinburgh), her husband painted the whole flat because her son isnā€™t able to paint it himself! I mean wtf.

Sorry this is so long šŸ˜‚ I donā€™t have anyone IRL to vent to.
vent away!

Reactions: 1
@pandysbox, would you feel more comfortable if you were not managing, but again be more of an individual contributor? Not sure of course if you could switch to such a role, but I've seen people thrown into management roles and it's really not for everyone, especially not people management.

• Heart
@pandysbox, would you feel more comfortable if you were not managing, but again be more of an individual contributor? Not sure of course if you could switch to such a role, but I've seen people thrown into management roles and it's really not for everyone, especially not people management.
I agree, i've zero management skills and would end up STRESSED if ever found myself in that position

• Heart
Yeah, people always assume being management is the end goal but itā€™s not for everybody. Sometimes you have to make some bloody difficult decisions and you canā€™t be pally with people you manage ad this just leads to trouble.
Look at the company as a whole and then rethink where in the whole organisation youā€™d like to be and what your goals are for the future.
If you feel you need to take a step down, do it!

• Heart
It was something that I went into with my eyes wide open but I thought it would be for the short term and a stepping stone to better things
Itā€™s not looking that way though and I think Iā€™m feeling a bit trapped

I think I would like to stay in the company though but not in this role and as such Iā€™ll have to see whatā€™s available in other departments. Some decisions to be made in the new year I think

• Heart
Me and boss are in the office today. I asked him if we could talk about concerns etc today seeing as it would be face to face and if he wants me gone then a face to face meeting is what I deserve. I even suggested a time we'd both be free and offered to book a meeting room etc. The answer was "no I'll call you tomorrow"... You couldn't make it up.

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 7
Me and boss are in the office today. I asked him if we could talk about concerns etc today seeing as it would be face to face and if he wants me gone then a face to face meeting is what I deserve. I even suggested a time we'd both be free and offered to book a meeting room etc. The answer was "no I'll call you tomorrow"... You couldn't make it up.
As the one potentially receiving the bad news, it was mature of you to approach him and propose a one to one meeting. I think if he was free and still refused, the only reason is he's a coward.

Reactions: 9
As the one potentially receiving the bad news, it was mature of you to approach him and propose a one to one meeting. I think if he was free and still refused, the only reason is he's a coward.
Thanks.
I've decided if I'm gone then I'm going with dignity.
Inside I'd love to tell him he's being a d**khead but obviously I need to keep it professional..!

Some managers are cowards and shy away from difficult conversations. I get that, I would hate such conversations as well and I've heard that in the recent Tech layoffs some managers were actually relieved to simply let things run forward, because they weren't the bad guy delivering the news, it came from much higher up. Maybe your manager is someone like that that refuses to have such talks and simply waits out a nasty situation until the employee decides to act on it.
HR should be the place for these concerns, but it sounds like the also mightn't be the most helpful here :rolleyes:

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.