Doctor Who

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Ncuti Gatwa is the only thing I liked about the first two episodes (his performance, not his arse) šŸ˜‚

• Haha
Reactions: 5
I haven't watched the second one but did anyone think the first one kept the same obvious 'message of the week' that plagued the previous series

Reactions: 2
Ncuti Gatwa is the only thing I liked about the first two episodes (his performance, not his arse) šŸ˜‚
The Space Babies episode was just weird and stupid.

The Devil's Chord, really good concept, music dying etc. Could've been amazing. Jinx Monsoon was brilliantly camp villain. But the actual story execution was naff.

And why oh why can't the companion not just be a normal person ala rose/Martha/Donna/bill? I don't want the big mystery bollocks again, it pissed me off enough with Clara.
---
I haven't watched the second one but did anyone think the first one kept the same obvious 'message of the week' that plagued the previous series
It's all a bit heavy handed.

Such a shame. Doctor Who has always had messages and been "woke", but it's just written it better in the past. Rather than shoving it down your throat.

RTD is a good showrunner for Doctor Who, but I fear his writing style now is not right for the show. And he needed to write less for this series, and let others do more, which is what is happening in future.

Reactions: 3
The Space Babies episode was just weird and stupid.

The Devil's Chord, really good concept, music dying etc. Could've been amazing. Jinx Monsoon was brilliantly camp villain. But the actual story execution was naff.

And why oh why can't the companion not just be a normal person ala rose/Martha/Donna/bill? I don't want the big mystery bollocks again, it pissed me off enough with Clara.
---

It's all a bit heavy handed.

Such a shame. Doctor Who has always had messages and been "woke", but it's just written it better in the past. Rather than shoving it down your throat.

RTD is a good showrunner for Doctor Who, but I fear his writing style now is not right for the show. And he needed to write less for this series, and let others do more, which is what is happening in future.
Exactly, if your story is good you don't need to literally explain the message like a lecture. It takes you out of the story.

Yeah I'm sick of the big overarching mystery too. It doesn't sound like much has changed overall.

Also, surprisingly I thought some of the cgi was quite dodgy. Surprising as Disney should have increased the budget

I miss the Eccleston & Tennant years so much, I know we all have ā€œourā€ doctors but it just hasnā€™t felt like the same show for years & thatā€™s nothing to do with JW being female or NG being black etc.

Always give the first episode a go and just never got it. Shite.

Reactions: 7
I miss the Eccleston & Tennant years so much, I know we all have ā€œourā€ doctors but it just hasnā€™t felt like the same show for years & thatā€™s nothing to do with JW being female or NG being black etc.

Yeah the stories stopped being good after Tennant left. I liked Matt Smith but his stories were crap

I agree. I love the show in general. But when Moffat replaced RTD, the stories just got too weird and too complicated. And they've never managed to pull it back into a simple monster of the week, baddie, doctor jumps in and saves the day nice tidy resolution format. And that is what it desperately needs. Just take it back to basics.

Because JW could've been a good Doctor, she just got the biggest pile of shite scripts imaginable.

Ncuti is already a good doctor to me, his charisma is the saving grace on screen. Space Babies was just weird. And the musical number was pointless filler that would've been better used for a better way of resolving the story in the devil's chord.

And I really dislike how Ruby has started as a fully formed companion, too confident etc. Not having that fear, or uncertainty, too quickly just having that confidence of a long term companion.

Reactions: 5
Space babies was bonkers and clearly weaker of the two. I'm surprised they decided on it for the opening episode - I wonder if that's why they aired it as a double episode? I suspect a lot of people wouldn't have tuned in the following week after...
...ending it with the doctor moving a space station by ejecting baby poo into space like a giant fart (surely if that was even possible, they wouldn't have got to the planet anyway and drifted off into space as they had no way of steering or stopping? :LOL:) plus he said himself he could take them in the tardis once the bogeyman was out the way

On a plus note, I really like Ncuti as the Doctor, and Ruby as his companion. It feels like Doctor Who again. Ruby reminds me so much of Clara, which is a good thing for me as I really liked her in it, though that seems to be unpopular opinion.

I quite like the singing scenes that were in the Christmas episode and devil's chord, it makes it feel more like lighthearted family viewing again. Some of the plot lines in the last few series have been so complicated, I struggled following them as an adult, I don't know how kids managed to understand what was going on!

Last edited:
I agree. I love the show in general. But when Moffat replaced RTD, the stories just got too weird and too complicated. And they've never managed to pull it back into a simple monster of the week, baddie, doctor jumps in and saves the day nice tidy resolution format. And that is what it desperately needs. Just take it back to basics.
This is exactly what made me stop watching a while back! Felt like it was always so heavy with convoluted storylines and the companions somehow being the centre of the universe and the stakes being ridiculously high all the time. The Eccleston series is still my favourite and would love it to go back to basics again. That said, I'm a bit late to the party but since I love Ncuti I'm gonna give it another go!

Reactions: 4
I gave up half way through the second episode

Love Ncuti, but the stories are still poor, the cgi is poor and Ruby is a bit one dimensional

Reactions: 1
I really hoped Iā€™d warm to the character Ruby, but it feels Iā€™m just watching Millie Gibson on screen. I donā€™t enjoy their friendship as it seems so forced so quickly, 9th Doctor and Rose built their relationship slowly through episodes, they wernt instantly giggling and acting as if best friends. I really do want to like Ruby, but for now Iā€™m not so keen.

Ncuti is doing well though, the show even though Russell has taken back over, just still feels itā€™s missing something. Icompletely agree tennants series were last of the best, but thatā€™s where I hope Russellā€™s got secret plot thatā€™ll build in the series as thatā€™s what he was amazing for. But so far those two I wonā€™t be rewatching!

I really hoped Iā€™d warm to the character Ruby, but it feels Iā€™m just watching Millie Gibson on screen. I donā€™t enjoy their friendship as it seems so forced so quickly, 9th Doctor and Rose built their relationship slowly through episodes, they wernt instantly giggling and acting as if best friends. I really do want to like Ruby, but for now Iā€™m not so keen.

Ncuti is doing well though, the show even though Russell has taken back over, just still feels itā€™s missing something. Icompletely agree tennants series were last of the best, but thatā€™s where I hope Russellā€™s got secret plot thatā€™ll build in the series as thatā€™s what he was amazing for. But so far those two I wonā€™t be rewatching!
Thereā€™s definitely some secret plot afootā€¦ the dinner lady in the abbey road studios also was in the scene with Newton and the apple (the mavity but with Tennantā€™s doctor) plus another one which I annoyingly canā€™t remember now šŸ¤Ŗ Thereā€™s also the Anita Dobson bit from the Christmas special. Oh and with mention of the Doctorā€™s granddaughter in the last episode I feel something is brewing!!
Edited to add: the dinner lady is Susan Twist. She is also credited as one of the baby station space staff who abandoned it and in the next episode!

Last edited:
Thereā€™s definitely some secret plot afootā€¦ the dinner lady in the abbey road studios also was in the scene with Newton and the apple (the mavity but with Tennantā€™s doctor) plus another one which I annoyingly canā€™t remember now šŸ¤Ŗ Thereā€™s also the Anita Dobson bit from the Christmas special. Oh and with mention of the Doctorā€™s granddaughter in the last episode I feel something is brewing!!
Edited to add: the dinner lady is Susan Twist. She is also credited as one of the baby station space staff who abandoned it and in the next episode!
Yesss, I spotted her in the two episodes on Saturday, both in the video in the baby episode, and as a dinner lady in Abbey Road. I'm intrigued where this part is going.

I'm not sure how I feel about the actual show and actors yet. I don't hate them but I feel like they are currently just shouting all their lines. Hopefully it gets better as the series goes on.

Wow I didnā€™t notice thanks guys!! Got me thinking now, I hope it isnā€™t as obvious as the Anita character or Ruby are the granddaughter, if so that feels so obvious straight away

I've just watched the first 2 episodes and they were both bonkers. I quite like weird but there was so many holes in the stories that I hardly know where to start. The Maestro was a decent baddie but the plot made no sense at all. If he was taking music away - how come there was still a recording studio where people recorded bad music šŸŽ¶ šŸ˜– and couldn't they have found some actors that at least resembled the Beatles šŸ¤”

The space babies episodešŸ‘¶ was just very odd and was all to make a point about refugees šŸ™„They babies were very cute but the story was pants.

Ncuti is OK but he lacks gravitas and keeps running away like a wimp which is not the usual approach of the doctor. His diction is poor and his accent keeps changing so he's not as easy to understand as Tennant or Smith who have 'trained actor' voices. Ruby has a northern accent (even though she grew up in London) and I really don't care who her parents were.

The best part so far was when they went back to prehistoric times, Ruby stood on a butterfly and was momentarily a weird alien. That was actually intriguing.

As for the awful musical number, least said the better šŸ˜—

I liked the Maestro episode

Kinda eery when everything was silent like I hear everything and nothing

yay! never knew there was a dr who thread

im so old I have memories of 7 and ace! and I've seen tonnes of classic

loving ncuti so far and, mmph, he's the prettiest since matt šŸ˜

the babies were more weird than the maestro for me tbh

really, really looking forward to boom, it looks amazing šŸ’œšŸ’œ

Todays episode was the best episode in this series so far. I really like Stephen Moffats writing. My favourite Dr Who was Matt Smith and I loved the era with him and Amy.

Moffat has raised the bar here and Ncuti was very good. He must have great balance to be able to stand on one foot for so long.
I wish Moffat was back running the show.

Reactions: 4
Todays episode was the best episode in this series so far. I really like Stephen Moffats writing. My favourite Dr Who was Matt Smith and I loved the era with him and Amy.

Moffat has raised the bar here and Ncuti was very good. He must have great balance to be able to stand on one foot for so long.
I wish Moffat was back running the show.
No Moffat running the show is a bad thing imo. He gets too caught up in his plots.

Writing under an EP is Moffat at his best. Like in this episode. Like in all the RTD1 era stuff he did.