Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

StephenTJackson

VIP Member
I am so, so glad RTD is returning. He seemed to have a knack for what chibnall doesn’t which was to give characters dimension and also show diversity or education without grinding the plot to a halt to do so. It’s a shame that Jodie didn’t get to have a run under RTD as I think she would have shone
People say Chibnall has made the show too political, what they actually mean is too blatantly political. Because RTD era was also political, just far less in your face, and more natural.

Also, hoping for more family characters like Jackie Tyler and Martha's mum, and Donna's mum/grandad. Nobody does Doctor Who companion families like Russell did.

Reactions: 9

Mark81

VIP Member
As someone mentioned previously, nothing wrong with political or 'woke', but so few writers (in general, not just dr who) can do it without it being heavy handed and so blindingly obvious.

I enjoyed Eccleston and loved Tennant. Really liked Matt Smith but his run was when the stories started to decline and it just got worse and worse. The need for big overarching ideas and stories swamped it. The Ecclestone and Tennant eras that focused on more quality self contained episodes were far stronger.

Dr who just vanished up it's own asshole of self importance.

Reactions: 6

StephenTJackson

VIP Member
Also, The Master as Rasputin dancing to Boney M, that actually is more iconic John Simm's here come the drums moment with Voodoo Child.

Reactions: 5

StephenTJackson

VIP Member
So you can tell Disney own Dr Who now 🤣

As a one off I enjoyed it but I hope this isn't the direction the show will take completely.

Ncuti Gatwa is brilliant though, and quite like the new assistant too
Ncuti Gatwa is gonna be a brilliant Doctor, but definitely need to make sure the tone doesn't go too child-appeal and still goes dark and scary enough.

I do love the way RTD always grounds it on Earth, with families etc. Something Moffatt/Chibnall didn't do as well IMO.

I have high hopes still for this era. I do worry that they are spending the bigger budget on CGI for the sake of it and because they have the budget rather than because it adds anything to the episodes in places.

AshMay

VIP Member
Ncuti is gorgeous, adore him! I stopped keeping up with the show but this will make me start watching again I think.

duskwithoutdawn

Chatty Member
Oh I absolutely love Ncuti, he’s fabulous in Sex Education. Really excited to see what him and RTD do with the show, hoping they can revive it!

StephenTJackson

VIP Member
Chris Chibnall has been nothing but a major disappointment. And he has let Jodie down. The flaws with her Doctor are entirely down to the poor scripts she has had to deal with.

I want a return to the vibes of early New Who. Russell T. Davies just gave the show a real magic. Even side characters had an arc and development. People like Jackie Tyler, Martha's family, Donna's family. Those vibes haven't been there since.

Everything felt more natural, the jokes felt more natural (and I will forever Stan Jackie Tyler for thinking the Doctor was asking about the Eastenders storyline in Army of Ghosts in series 2) , the stories were generally better.

Reactions: 4

lozza96

VIP Member
I didnt realise at first until i saw a tiktok but at the end with the old companions there was a empy chair with a picture on and it would have been for sarah jane 😭as she was the other classic one

• Sad
Guys are you excited about the upcoming specials? Just seen RTD insta post announcing the dates. First special is 25th nov! Then Dec 2nd and 9th. I’m honestly chuffed to see David and Catherine back, along with RTD it feels so nostalgic.

• Heart

Sideboard Bob

VIP Member
I ddn’t mind the romantic arcs (but I can understand why some fans didn’t like them), but Donna was a breath of fresh air.

The Doctor, (very sincerely and emotionally) - “I just want a mate”

Donna - “ Well you ain’t mating with me sunshine!”

• Haha

StephenTJackson

VIP Member
David Tennant and Catherine Tate coming back for 60th Anniversary! Genuinely cried when I read this.

Now, Peter Capaldi as well please Russell!

bowtiesarecool

Chatty Member
Guys are you excited about the upcoming specials? Just seen RTD insta post announcing the dates. First special is 25th nov! Then Dec 2nd and 9th. I’m honestly chuffed to see David and Catherine back, along with RTD it feels so nostalgic.
Cannot wait ❤ Tennant and Tate work so brilliantly together because they're mates! That and Donna is just pure kick-ass and I love her!!! (plus her style is more mine than rose/Martha/Amy because I'm old!)

Reactions: 3

Mark81

VIP Member
So you can tell Disney own Dr Who now 🤣

As a one off I enjoyed it but I hope this isn't the direction the show will take completely.

Ncuti Gatwa is brilliant though, and quite like the new assistant too

groovygirl229

VIP Member
Also, The Master as Rasputin dancing to Boney M, that actually is more iconic John Simm's here come the drums moment with Voodoo Child.
Sasha is an incredible actor and love him as the master and that scene but does feel Chris just copied and pasted that scene with John Simm now you mentioned it! Can’t wait for new episodes