Doctor Who

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
RTD can never be accused of trying to be subtle.

This is not just an issue for Doctor Who, but something I have seen in a lot of recent shows and films. The writers are obviously trying to be good people and represent minority groups and social issues in their work, but they go about it in a really clunky and shallow way. It is sometimes like they are writing for Child who have never heard these things before. I often find it really patronising.

Some of the lines he gave Rose in the Meep episode were just absolutely cringe. I saw one reviewer on YouTube describing as being very ' how to you do, fellow teenagers'.

I did like the joke that The Meep wants to be called ' The', leading to a scene of people chanting 'All Hail The Meep!'. Also the fact it pointed out that people often refer to timelords as The, eg The Doctor, The Master, The Rani etc and no one gives that a second thought.

Reactions: 5
I know we'd all got bored of the Daleks every season...but...bring back the Daleks!
For me, apart from Space Babies and TLORS the writing is noticably stronger than anything from Chibnall's era but then Chibnall set the bar so hopelessly low that might not be much of a compliment after all!

Reactions: 2
For me, apart from Space Babies and TLORS the writing is noticably stronger than anything from Chibnall's era but then Chibnall set the bar so hopelessly low that might not be much of a compliment after all!
Oh it's definitely stronger than Chibnall era.

But still not great for me generally.

Reactions: 1
RTD can never be accused of trying to be subtle.

This is not just an issue for Doctor Who, but something I have seen in a lot of recent shows and films. The writers are obviously trying to be good people and represent minority groups and social issues in their work, but they go about it in a really clunky and shallow way. It is sometimes like they are writing for Child who have never heard these things before. I often find it really patronising.

Some of the lines he gave Rose in the Meep episode were just absolutely cringe. I saw one reviewer on YouTube describing as being very ' how to you do, fellow teenagers'.

I did like the joke that The Meep wants to be called ' The', leading to a scene of people chanting 'All Hail The Meep!'. Also the fact it pointed out that people often refer to timelords as The, eg The Doctor, The Master, The Rani etc and no one gives that a second thought.
It's an issue in advertising and has been for a long time, IMO. I feel like a complete boomer typing this (I'm now, I swear) but...

How many adverts can you think of now that are one straight, white couple with a male/female presenting child set that look like their parents? They all seem to be Dad of one ethnic origin, Mum of a second ethnic origin, one kid of a third and a fourth kid of another one, one of the kids will be ambiguously clothed as well. One of them will have a visable disability too just to make sure that box is checked.

Couples of all races and genders exist, but in the UK, we are an overwhelmingly white and straight population. Diversity and visibility absolutely matters but when you deliberately only include the minorities you're being equitable at all.

• Heart
Problem is it doesn't feel organic or authentic. It always smacks of people sat in a boardroom saying ' we need to be diverse' , 'we need to be inclusive' 'we need to change the world' etc.

It's like when companies drown themselves in the pride flag

I wasn't even expecting much when it came to the finale after last week but what the duck was that?

Think I'm ready to say goodbye to the show now, Doctor Who as it really was I do believe did die in 2017 didn't it?

I think I am alone in having enjoyed it all... watched it with son who bounced down at midnight to watch it every Friday - we loved it - he's a massive nerd who gave up dr who half way through Chibnall (couldn't get over the timeless child stuff) and he has been loving it (though think he has a crush on Ncuti). babies not the best and the song at the end of the Beatles one could have been skipped - but we've enjoyed all the rest of them.

I think it's not as good as it has been but it still fun and better than it has been too.

Reactions: 4
The finale episode was such a disappointment for me. It just lost all of its tensions and pacing for me. Got very slow and just lost all of its energy in the middle when it all got very maudlin and self deprecating. And the resolution, once again, paper thin ending from Russell.

But, hey, at least Skaro is back to explain away the inevitable future return of the Daleks again.

Reactions: 3
The last episode was a massive disappointment. As if sukthet the god of death would care because he couldn't see who Ruby's mother was 😆 it made absolutely no sense at all and then we got the inevitable time reset and rollback.

It's very poor writing. RTDs strengths are with the human emotional stuff but he's not a good fantasy writer.

Is it bad writing or have I misunderstood (which is possible) but didn't Ruby prevent Ap williams becoming prime minister?
When Ruby's mum pointed to the street sign so dramatically who was she signalling to?

Is it bad writing or have I misunderstood (which is possible) but didn't Ruby prevent Ap williams becoming prime minister?
When Ruby's mum pointed to the street sign so dramatically who was she signalling to?
Exactly, it was garbage. Any normal person would have written a note and left it with the baby saying 'please look after Ruby' 😃

The scene where Ruby met her mum was the high point of the series for me and was very touching and well acted.

The rest made no sense at all.

I'm pretty sure when we've seen her cloaked mother pointing before the hand has looked aged and rough etc like not a 15 year old girl.

I'm just not buying it being a random person with no significance.