Discontent #8 food, energy, transport, cost of living, society etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The huge inflation was so obviously coming even before Ukraine. Yet the Bank of England earlier this year was saying it's nothing to worry about and it'll just be transitional and fall quickly so they didn't need to raise rates. They've fallen way behind the fed and it's caused more damage.

The BoE is often portrayed as a white knight coming in to save 🤦‍♀️, rather than an institution that shares much of the blame for today's issues.

Their forecasts are terrible, they present the best possible situation that has next to no chance of happening as if it's the most likely and expected scenario. I get they need to talk up the market, but the extent they do it to is absurd and dangerous.

Reactions: 6
It's been hovering around the 1.85 up north where I am. Petrol has crept up again to the 1.65 mark too.

Just had mum on the phone worrying that the pension triple lock isn't going to be honoured after all. She's on basic pension with a little bit of pension credit too, and the news of that along with the possible energy increase in April terrifies her.
She's 74, she should not be stressing like this about money and whether she can afford to heat her home. Unfortunately we're not in a position to help her financially (the energy change for April will tip us over to be honest), but it might just be a case of us all pooling into one house so we're only heating one rather than two.
Are not all pensioners getting the cost of living and warm home payments?

Reactions: 2
This feels like a kick In the teeth for the self employed who were excluded during furlough so many millions with their feet up given free money whether it be their choice or not got it!!!!! Make them pay it back …people like me and my husband got £0, we have employees we had to take care of! And in a job whilst our income dropped!!!!

and yet our business bills continue to rise out of control!
So all these people who cried for lockdown I hope your all happy !!!

Reactions: 7
One thing bleeping me off is influencers and there ‘Please support my many upcoming ADs as we approach a busy time of year!’ duck right off.

Reactions: 31
and yet our business bills continue to rise out of control!
So all these people who cried for lockdown I hope your all happy !!!
May I ask what has the lockdown to do with your high bills?

I live in Ireland and our high bills are linked to greedy electric and oil companies. As a person whose job is to guide businesses to increase their profit, the lockdowns were the best financial period for them since they transitioned online.

Reactions: 3
May I ask what has the lockdown to do with your high bills?

I live in Ireland and our high bills are linked to greedy electric and oil companies. As a person whose job is to guide businesses to increase their profit, the lockdowns were the best financial period for them since they transitioned online.
Construction can’t be done online though can it 😆

and inflation due to endless money printing has caused materials to go up!!!! 👍🏼

Reactions: 1

and inflation due to endless money printing has caused materials to go up!!!! 👍🏼
We're in the Joinery trade, some materials have more than doubled in cost! Most clients understand but some still question our quotes, they obviously haven’t watched any news for a while 🙄🤐

Reactions: 3

This is interesting, thank you.

In ireland, construction costs went up as China closed their cities to crush the virus. So, the usual goods are almost impossible to find. When companies have them, the prices are extortionate. I can't blame China for stopping a virus when they have such an old population.

Also, tons of workers left the island a decade ago as our housing sector went down. Since no one wants to send their kids into trades these days, it is nearly impossible to find highly trained and qualified tradesmen.

Reactions: 1
Does anyone use a meal planner they can recommend I am think of trying one to maximise what I can get and not waste food.

My neighbours recently commented about my food bin going out mainly coffee grinds to be honest, as I have never seen theirs out. My composter is full and I was like what do you do with veg peelings? They alway have frozen veg. Not keen on some frozen veggies. Although I may get some tinned as son is limited with what he eats and no point buying bags just for myself.

Reactions: 2
Does anyone use a meal planner they can recommend I am think of trying one to maximise what I can get and not waste food.

My neighbours recently commented about my food bin going out mainly coffee grinds to be honest, as I have never seen theirs out. My composter is full and I was like what do you do with veg peelings? They alway have frozen veg. Not keen on some frozen veggies. Although I may get some tinned as son is limited with what he eats and no point buying bags just for myself.
Sounds like your neighbours need a hobby! Even if there isn't a lot in the food bin, it should still be going out so it doesn't rot and stink the place out. Everyone has some form of food waste - I wonder if they just chuck their in general waste then.

• Haha
Reactions: 19

Your neighbors need to mind their business!

• Haha
Reactions: 17
Air fryers have been one of the most sought after kitchen appliances in recent weeks. The cost of energy has caused people to seek alternatives to putting on their ovens.

People have found them to cost less in energy and generally be healthier than deep frying. The problem is many air fryers are out of stock with people snapping them up from retailers.

However, shoppers are now raving over another alternative that's cheaper and in stock at most stores, reports the Echo.

Shoppers are now swearing by halogen ovens as an "amazing" alternative to the air fryer, and at a fraction of the price. One selling at Argos for £56 has hundreds of reviews, with one woman saying it's the "best buy ever".
birminghammail.co.uk/news/uk-news/shoppers-ditching-air-fryers-much-25292387?int_source=amp_continue_reading&int_medium=amp&int_campaign=continue_reading_button#amp-readmore-target
Is this true or a scam?

I’ve spent this evening helping a 61 year old single woman with no family who has been ‘let go’ by her hospitality employer (oh, sorry, but don’t worry, because there are plenty of vacancies in hospitality - just not if you’re 61) to complete a benefit claim online, as she has no computer, no computer skills, no broadband. (She’s a brilliant cook, though!). I am honestly bloody furious. Could they MAKE it any more difficult or bureaucratic or hard to understand? We should be marching on Westminster in our millions. Good, honest, hardworking people will die of poverty this winter while corporates guzzle away at the trough. It’s absolutely disgusting. First it’ll be ‘warm hubs’ - next it’ll make sense to reinstate the workhouse. FFS let’s wake up and feel the RAGE.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 33
I’ve spent this evening helping a 61 year old single woman with no family who has been ‘let go’ by her hospitality employer (oh, sorry, but don’t worry, because there are plenty of vacancies in hospitality - just not if you’re 61) to complete a benefit claim online, as she has no computer, no computer skills, no broadband. (She’s a brilliant cook, though!). I am honestly bloody furious. Could they MAKE it any more difficult or bureaucratic or hard to understand? We should be marching on Westminster in our millions. Good, honest, hardworking people will die of poverty this winter while corporates guzzle away at the trough. It’s absolutely disgusting. First it’ll be ‘warm hubs’ - next it’ll make sense to reinstate the workhouse. FFS let’s wake up and feel the RAGE.
Heartbreaking isn’t it. Your comment reminds me of the film ‘I, Daniel Blake’ - a must watch for anyone I think.

Reactions: 8
The most annoying thing is that under previous benefit regimes, at almost 62 she’d be receiving a state pension with none of this b*llocks, making her feel like an unentitled thief when she’s worked and paid taxes all her life. I’ve honestly not slept because of the fury bubbling inside. There, but for the grace of God, and all that.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
The most annoying thing is that under previous benefit regimes, at almost 62 she’d be receiving a state pension with none of this b*llocks, making her feel like an unentitled thief when she’s worked and paid taxes all her life. I’ve honestly not slept because of the fury bubbling inside. There, but for the grace of God, and all that.
We are creeping to a point where soon you'll have to be much older before you can draw a pension, but people stop employing you in your 60s so people would struggle to get work, but unable to draw pension for years. I swear the pension age goes up by a year every couple of years ☹

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
You’re quite right. I wanted a year off to write so I saved hard during lockdown and drew down my smallest pension, took a 12 hour a week job because I knew I wouldn’t qualify for any help. My timing was poor and I’m kind of regretting that now. Older people who have supported themselves and ‘just about managed’ on lower wages and don’t have the ‘luxury’ of an earning spouse are up the proverbial creek during a cost of living crisis. No savings, at the mercy of greedy landlords, usurious fuel companies, made to feel small by the State process that should be supporting them. I’m certain this rabid championing of private pensions was to fill the expected gap between having to give up work for age or health reasons, and qualifying for State Pension.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.