Discontent #8 food, energy, transport, cost of living, society etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've heard it's going to be 23 degrees by Halloween. Thought they were taking the piss but they seemed to be serious. Said they'd seen it on the news. Time will tell....🥴😂🤣
In Paris, we expect 23°C on Wednesday.
It's crazy.

Reactions: 2
I tried the extra spin cycle thing today and weighed it :D

On a really full load a second spin cycle dropped the weight 400g, this is a new washing machine with a 1400 rpm spin. Definitely worth doing if using the tumble drier, although I missed out on 20 mins extra in the sun today that might have had the same effect.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
I tried the extra spin cycle thing today and weighed it :D

On a really full load a second spin cycle dropped the weight 400g, this is a new washing machine with a 1400 rpm spin. Definitely worth doing if using the tumble drier, although I missed out on 20 mins extra in the sun today that might have had the same effect.
I always give an extra spin but mine takes less than 10 minutes but it’s worth it.

Im still here hanging my clothes out on dry days. It hss been really rainy here recently so they are few and far between but I am trying. I really detest having the airers up. It depresses me so much looking at them. I have no choice but to have them in my small lounge and it just feels oppressive when Im sat watching tv in the evening.

Reactions: 11
I've had the clothes on the airer since yesterday and some still aren't dry despite being out in the sun now - I'm hoping they will be dry this evening but I may try the spin to help it along a little next time!

I've also done a lot of batch freezing today. Stuff I'd normally (eek) throw out when gone bad if I hadn't chance to use it so I've frozen some tomatoes, grapes, strawberries and spinach and I picked up 2 ready meals for 80p each and a nice bread loaf for 30p (all reduced section) that have gone straight in the freezer. I do prefer to home cook food when I can and very rarely use the freezer but with prices going as they are i figured it's time to put it to use!

I also got some blueberries on reduced that were a £1 - this used to be the usual price where I am so it's a bit of a shock to now be paying that in the reduced section but I can definitely see quite a big increase in the prices here recently 😟

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I've had the clothes on the airer since yesterday and some still aren't dry despite being out in the sun now - I'm hoping they will be dry this evening but I may try the spin to help it along a little next time!

I've also done a lot of batch freezing today. Stuff I'd normally (eek) throw out when gone bad if I hadn't chance to use it so I've frozen some tomatoes, grapes, strawberries and spinach and I picked up 2 ready meals for 80p each and a nice bread loaf for 30p (all reduced section) that have gone straight in the freezer. I do prefer to home cook food when I can and very rarely use the freezer but with prices going as they are i figured it's time to put it to use!

I also got some blueberries on reduced that were a £1 - this used to be the usual price where I am so it's a bit of a shock to now be paying that in the reduced section but I can definitely see quite a big increase in the prices here recently 😟
Have you thought about buying frozen berries? Farmfoods have frozen blueberries. I am sure other supermarkets do too. frozen veg and fruit is equally as nutritious. Just a thought.

Reactions: 3
Have you thought about buying frozen berries? Farmfoods have frozen blueberries. I am sure other supermarkets do too. frozen veg and fruit is equally as nutritious. Just a thought.
Thank you - yes I used to buy frozen fruits and veggies so I will look to again now. The tomatoes and spinach were from our family members allotment so we have a lot currently so thought it wise to try and make it stretch now! I will definitely be looking to purchase more frozen items and even long life such as milks etc x

Thank you - yes I used to buy frozen fruits and veggies so I will look to again now. The tomatoes and spinach were from our family members allotment so we have a lot currently so thought it wise to try and make it stretch now! I will definitely be looking to purchase more frozen items and even long life such as milks etc x
Actually, to be fair Asda also do affordable frozen berries and veg. I normally go for frozen fruit and veg simply to waste less and also it's more convenient too. Tinned tomatoes are my go to lol.

Reactions: 1
Actually, to be fair Asda also do affordable frozen berries and veg. I normally go for frozen fruit and veg simply to waste less and also it's more convenient too. Tinned tomatoes are my go to lol.
To be honest I feel I am re evaluating my shopping as I've been spoiled with allotment goodies, farm shop shopping and picking bits up from the local convenience in recent years and I've never really been one to have a lot of food in the freezer / tins in cupboards - I've always been quite frivolous with spending but I am definitely becoming more aware and feeling the pinch on things now - my little top up convenience shop came to just over £30 this morning 😱 so thank you for recommending Asda and farmfoods - I feel I will take a good look through the supermarkets and do a proper stock up! I do remember liking tinned toms on toast 😄

Also - I think the washing is almost dry 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 lovely sunny day here today but rain tomorrow I think!

Im still here hanging my clothes out on dry days. It hss been really rainy here recently so they are few and far between but I am trying. I really detest having the airers up. It depresses me so much looking at them. I have no choice but to have them in my small lounge and it just feels oppressive when Im sat watching tv in the evening.
Ooh! You've just jogged my memory. A tip from a magazine reader - When you have washing hanging out and it starts to rain, throw a thin plastic decorating sheet over your washing and peg it to the clothes line. Then unpeg it when the rain stops.

This has me wondering - if you're going out for the day and you peg the plastic sheet over your washing will it still dry?

Has the price of diesel jumped up again? I just paid 1.91!! I'm sure I paid 1.79 ish the other day

Reactions: 4
Has the price of diesel jumped up again? I just paid 1.91!! I'm sure I paid 1.79 ish the other day
It's been hovering around the 1.85 up north where I am. Petrol has crept up again to the 1.65 mark too.

Just had mum on the phone worrying that the pension triple lock isn't going to be honoured after all. She's on basic pension with a little bit of pension credit too, and the news of that along with the possible energy increase in April terrifies her.
She's 74, she should not be stressing like this about money and whether she can afford to heat her home. Unfortunately we're not in a position to help her financially (the energy change for April will tip us over to be honest), but it might just be a case of us all pooling into one house so we're only heating one rather than two.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Check Aldi for frozen fruit, their mixed Berry kg bags are far cheaper than Asda. M and S canned foods like tomatoes, beans and soups are on par with other supermarkets and brilliant quality especially tomatoes.

UK:
It is really noticeable that prices have gone up, especially the basics like bread, milks, eggs, cheese , cereal. I haven't noticed the veg/salad section go up too much for me yet but I've definitely noticed all the cupboard stuff and household stuff go up.

Have been watching youtube videos on one pan meals and will try to plan meals better.

Basically cost of living has gone up 10% but that's before we all need to rely on heating this winter.

Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.