Discontent #8 food, energy, transport, cost of living, society etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The wholesale gas price is almost back to pre war levels.

Screenshot_20221025_191646.jpg

They were quick to report that yearly prices would be £6000 when it spiked! Why do they not do the same when it's falling?

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
We've got a 62 reg Astra that's tipping over the 100,000 miles mark, that we've had for 2 years now. Does us alright to be fair and it's last service/MOT only cost £250. The mechanic (we've been going to him ever since owning cars as he's good friends with my father in law!) said it's a good little car and we should be grateful as they've got a history of reliability apparently.

We only have one car. I never learnt to drive (38yrs old now!), and it's just too expensive to learn now.

Besides my monthly bus pass for work is only £50 and I could never run a car that cheap, so what's the point? I get 2 buses each way to work in my new job and whilst I'm not looking forward to the dark mornings/nights, it still takes less than 45mins each way in total so I'm good. I just pop my headphones in and switch off to the other passengers 🤣
Mines a 55 plate astra, it's done about 120k now. It doesn't usually cost much a year (usually something coil/suspension related 🙄) I think the last mot was £150ish. But I've not really looked after it well so I'm worried it'll start getting unreliable/costly. Apparently the injectors are leaky

I like Gary Stevenson. Used to be a trader and made a lot of money from it, but he also cares about the average person and wants to make a change. Some interesting info on his channel.

This is a good video on how money saving tips can't help us. We all need to come together and demand change otherwise we continue to be fucked over. very frustrating.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I'd still be in my 56 plate Toyota if the power steering hadn't gone and proved too costly to fix. Mr F doesn't approve of bangernomics, and to be fair where we live now you do need a reliable car because public transport is virtually non-existent, so he bought me a 3-year-old 14 plate Kia rather than the much cheaper 10-year-old one I was looking at, which I've now had for 5 years and am up to nearly 90,000 miles in. I fully expect to have it for at least another 5 years. Other than a new set of brake pads and discs a couple of years ago and a wheel bearing getting replaced in a couple of weeks' time, it's been trouble-free, but boy is it boring to drive. Mr F drives a small van now after several years of mid-life crisis cars, so probably my turn to have something a bit more fun when the Kia starts to struggle.

Reactions: 4
I work with people who are always going on about their cars and silly things like a stone scratching the alloys and how it cost him £90 to get it buffed out. Another one pays a fortune for a car to rent but can only do X miles a year and then has to use his partners old car as he's out of miles. It all gets a bit silly to me.

I'm happy if mine starts and doesn't cost much each year to pass the MOT test. I would never get one that I'm precious about, life is too short.
I have a white little 1 litre car that I've had for years. A family member nearly fainted when they saw I have a scratch on one door ("tis but a scratch!"). I was like, oh that's nothing, don't worry and he was trying to shame me into getting it to a garage to have sorted. I stood my ground and said, sorry, it's a superficial paint scrape, no dent, I'm not paying someone £100 to clean it with a cloth and touch it up with a tippex pen 🙄 who has the money for that?! Maybe if I sell it I'll get it sorted but I am not going to prioritize 100 quid now for a scratch...

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I have a white little 1 litre car that I've had for years. A family member nearly fainted when they saw I have a scratch on one door ("tis but a scratch!"). I was like, oh that's nothing, don't worry and he was trying to shame me into getting it to a garage to have sorted. I stood my ground and said, sorry, it's a superficial paint scrape, no dent, I'm not paying someone £100 to clean it with a cloth and touch it up with a tippex pen 🙄 who has the money for that?! Maybe if I sell it I'll get it sorted but I am not going to prioritize 100 quid now for a scratch...
I don’t think they look for small scratches in all honesty. I sold my car 6ish months ago & they bit my hand off for it, they offered £4k above what we thought we’d get for it without so much as seeing it, I thought they’d be going round it with a microscope trying to knock me down because the original floor mats had mud on or some tit. There were some minor cosmetic issues with it but it had done under 3k miles (cos of the pandemic) in two years they didn’t care. I just bought a new one (ex demo, also under 3k miles) and there’s an issue with a front sensor which makes me think they can’t have properly checked this out :/ On the shop floor my toddler was running around with biscuity hands so I had to baby wipe a headlight where I noticed one of their display models had a huge chip in the door, I can’t imagine they’ll be repainting that before it’s sold on 🤷🏻‍♀️

A few years back when my husband bought his car they’d messed up majorly so ended up giving us a courtesy car to tide us over/make sure the sale went through and he’d scratched it quite badly on a concrete wall and they charged us something very minor for it, like around £100 tops, and that was bad damage. Similarly my in laws lease & they had a roof tile hit their car boot and they just traded their car back in, the bloke said he doesn’t care it’ll come out easily and they weren’t charged a thing.

Sorry for essay but tl;dr I really don’t think scratches are a big deal to anyone anymore? I wouldn’t bother paying anyone to repair them unless they were baddddd.

Reactions: 5
I took out a loan to get my car 5 years ago (it's all paid off now so I own the car) and whilst it's nice having a newer car with all the mod cons, it is so thirsty on fuel it's costing me a small fortune to do my work commute and back, and replacing things like tyres etc on it is expensive! My boyfriend has just bought me a cheaper 2008 plate car for about £1k (I know I'm extemely lucky that he was able to do that for me!) which will be a lot cheaper to run. I'm going to pay him back when I sell mine then hopefully use the rest of the money to pay off a small debt I have and save the rest. Would I rather have a nicer, newer car? Yeah probably. But times are hard at the moment and I can't see things improving any time soon so I'm happy to drive an older, cheaper car tbh.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
That's another good thing about old cars, you care less when you dunch them because they are usually just going to scrap when you are done with them anyway, my car is about 25% scratch at this point :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 8
A few years back when my husband bought his car they’d messed up majorly so ended up giving us a courtesy car to tide us over/make sure the sale went through and he’d scratched it quite badly on a concrete wall and they charged us something very minor for it, like around £100 tops, and that was bad damage. Similarly my in laws lease & they had a roof tile hit their car boot and they just traded their car back in, the bloke said he doesn’t care it’ll come out easily and they weren’t charged a thing.
Pretty sure that would be just your excess? A van driver accidentally scratched my bumper, sort of tapped into it. I sent it to the garage to get repaired - I wouldn't have bothered as it was so minor, not even that deep, very superficial, however the van driver pissed me off, the way it happened... he tried to undercut me at a busy junction and was so rude and dismissive so I went ahead with the claim, the company that literally just buffed it out charged the van drivers insurance £350. It was in and out in 2 hours. But that could also be the garage taking the biscuit (it was the van drivers insurance company that picked the garage) but I remember very clearly because even though it wasn't our fault we asked the cost because you have to mention these things whether at fault or not for at least 5 years when your insurance comes up for renewal.

• Wow
Reactions: 4
Pretty sure that would be just your excess? A van driver accidentally scratched my bumper, sort of tapped into it. I sent it to the garage to get repaired - I wouldn't have bothered as it was so minor, not even that deep, very superficial, however the van driver pissed me off, the way it happened... he tried to undercut me at a busy junction and was so rude and dismissive so I went ahead with the claim, the company that literally just buffed it out charged the van drivers insurance £350. It was in and out in 2 hours. But that could also be the garage taking the biscuit (it was the van drivers insurance company that picked the garage) but I remember very clearly because even though it wasn't our fault we asked the cost because you have to mention these things whether at fault or not for at least 5 years when your insurance comes up for renewal.
Nope it wasn’t, I believe it was pretty much at cost but we had the leverage of them being worried we’d walk away from the car purchase because they’d messed it up hence us having their courtesy. We’ve always had larger excesses of £250-500 because we were new drivers/it was a big car and I’d rather pay a lower monthly but higher excess / also know we’ve never claimed on any insurances 🤞🙏🏻

Reactions: 2
I hate this new trend of developers who build houses made of tissue.

A new development is being built in my neighbourhood with a starting price of 450k but you barely have any garden and parking for 1 car.

People are spending close to half a million to hear their neighbours next door. It is ridiculous.
I lived (rented) in several mid terrace victorian houses prior to this one, including when I was an undergrad and lived in the middle of a whole terrace of student rentals, and couldn't hear a damn thing from any of my neighbours. It was a bit of a surprise when I moved here and could hear everything! Luckily my neighbours are pretty chill.

My parents income put together never reached what I earn solo now, but I'll never be able to buy a house as nice as theirs! Although I feel lucky just to be able to own something these days.

On the car talk: bought an old audi 8 years ago as a cheap run around for £1600, damn thing is still going and I've never had an MOT above £150. I'm gonna be super sad when it finally does die.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.