Discontent #8 food, energy, transport, cost of living, society etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
@Y0H0 to answer your question on knock off oodies:

I have just bought a primark one to keep at my nannies house and it’s lovely and soft (got the Disney ones paid €16 in Ireland) but as I’ve just bought it I can’t say if it holds up well.

I had a real one in 2020 which was lovely but I left it in australia when I left. BUT I got the Dunnes one in Ireland last year and it was just as good if not warmer than the real thing tbh. They ship to the UK and have kids ones too. It’s also bigger than the oodie - I’m 5’11 and it was down to my knees. i will probably buy the Dunnes one again this year. They ship to the UK and it’s £17

• Heart
Reactions: 9
@Y0H0 to answer your question on knock off oodies:

I have just bought a primark one to keep at my nannies house and it’s lovely and soft (got the Disney ones paid €16 in Ireland) but as I’ve just bought it I can’t say if it holds up well.

I had a real one in 2020 which was lovely but I left it in australia when I left. BUT I got the Dunnes one in Ireland last year and it was just as good if not warmer than the real thing tbh. They ship to the UK and have kids ones too. It’s also bigger than the oodie - I’m 5’11 and it was down to my knees. i will probably buy the Dunnes one again this year. They ship to the UK and it’s £17

Ah perfect thank you ❤ I'll get some ordered. Got my daughter one for Xmas from amazon and its too thin. Im not one for being tight with the heating but I think everyone is going to be this year 😬 just need some nice slippers and teddy bedding for the youngest and were all set. Thanks again x

Ah perfect thank you ❤ I'll get some ordered. Got my daughter one for Xmas from amazon and its too thin. Im not one for being tight with the heating but I think everyone is going to be this year 😬 just need some nice slippers and teddy bedding for the youngest and were all set. Thanks again x
The primark one is definitely thin! But the Dunnes one is teddy material inside so it’s super warm!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Apparently primark do different ones. The double layered fabric are better
I’ll have a look. The Disney one I got there was so soft I love it , but I’d use it more for being cozy than warm if that makes sense.

I didnt realise there was a new thread.

Re oodie chat, I have a fake amazon one and a real one. Id say the real one is thinner and less bulky but still very warm. Its also a lot longer. Im about 5ft 7 and its past my knees 🤣

Also noticed the previous thread discussed PT workers and UC in. If you do need wraparound childcare for school aged kids its such a long day for them. Thankfully due to hybrid working its not required for us now but both my kids did 8-6 nursery days prior to school which they managed ok as they could nap there etc. 8-6 days with school 9-3 is much longer for them. Theyre exhausted when they come in, still need to get dinner and home work done. Some of the kids are just turned 4. This sort of childcare isnt always easily accessible either even if UC pay a huge chunk of it.

Reactions: 8
I'm not getting the 300€ energy help from the government, as I wasn't employed on September 1st, I joined my new work on September 4th, so I get nothing :(. With taxes, it would have been closer to 150€, but still would have been nice to get that.

Edit: a coworker told me that I should be able to claim it with my taxes, so around autumn next year I might get it :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO: that is, if I remember to claim it and figure out how to do it, I'm tit at taxes and really should get a consultant to do it for me.

• Sad
Reactions: 4
I've been paid this morning, after transferring my bill money to the joint account, and my usual direct debits going out I've about £300 to last me the month - and with that I've got to get food shops as well so really I've closer to £0. It just makes me feel really sad as it feels like there's no room for enjoyment anymore :( I used to look forward to pay day and now I just feel deflated and depressed when it arrives because it's getting tougher and tougher each month to make it stretch.

I don't want to sound ungrateful because I know that I'm lucky enough to be employed with regular wages coming in, some people don't even have that and I do understand that from that perspective I'm in a better position but it still feels like an awful situation :(

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 48
I've been paid this morning, after transferring my bill money to the joint account, and my usual direct debits going out I've about £300 to last me the month - and with that I've got to get food shops as well so really I've closer to £0. It just makes me feel really sad as it feels like there's no room for enjoyment anymore :( I used to look forward to pay day and now I just feel deflated and depressed when it arrives because it's getting tougher and tougher each month to make it stretch.

I don't want to sound ungrateful because I know that I'm lucky enough to be employed with regular wages coming in, some people don't even have that and I do understand that from that perspective I'm in a better position but it still feels like an awful situation :(
I'm exactly the same and being left with a similar budget and feel exactly the same about it.
I do count my blessings, as you say, but... Meh.
Can't afford a payday splurge because the dread of having no money left at the end of the month is looming over me.
It's surviving, it's not living and it's sad.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 22
Can’t have an oodie as they just wouldn’t work for me. However I did get the children in need onesie from Asda at £14, it’s very thick an cosy. A good cheap option for anyone who can’t do an oodie!

Can't see that this does much for normal people earning normal wages. A penny off basic rate income tax, wooohoo! Good news if you are lucky enough to earn over £150,000 though, but neither cut till next April; or if you're in the process of buying a cheap or first house.

Reactions: 5
I didnt realise there was a new thread.

Re oodie chat, I have a fake amazon one and a real one. Id say the real one is thinner and less bulky but still very warm. Its also a lot longer. Im about 5ft 7 and its past my knees 🤣

Also noticed the previous thread discussed PT workers and UC in. If you do need wraparound childcare for school aged kids its such a long day for them. Thankfully due to hybrid working its not required for us now but both my kids did 8-6 nursery days prior to school which they managed ok as they could nap there etc. 8-6 days with school 9-3 is much longer for them. Theyre exhausted when they come in, still need to get dinner and home work done. Some of the kids are just turned 4. This sort of childcare isnt always easily accessible either even if UC pay a huge chunk of it.
Just to add, this is my current set up
Can’t have an oodie as they just wouldn’t work for me. However I did get the children in need onesie from Asda at £14, it’s very thick an cosy. A good cheap option for anyone who can’t do an oodie!
I've bought something similar for my 2yo who is too short for an Oodie. My eldest loves a onesie too so guess I've saved money in that respect (OH has no interest in one and usually wears T-shirts all year round, regardless of the cold).

No big surprises with the budget, it does make sense to have a conservative style budget. Least it seems like a bit more direction than the Johnson and Sunak mess.

Out of my own selfishness one thing I dont see mentioned is the mileage rate, so guess it's still at 45p then 25p over 10'000 miles.

Income tax
  • Cut in basic rate of income tax to 19% from April 2023
  • Government estimates 31 million people getting £170 a year more
  • Currently, people in England, Wales and Northern Ireland pay 20% on any annual earning between £12,571 to £50,270 - rates in Scotland are different
  • 45% higher rate of income tax abolished for England, Wales and Northern Ireland taxpayers
  • One single higher rate of income tax of 40% from April next year
National Insurance
What is national insurance?
Corporation tax
Does cutting corporation tax always raise more money?
Benefits
  • Rules around universal credit tightened, by reducing benefits if people don't fulfil job search commitments
  • Around 120,000 more people on Universal Credit to be asked to take steps to seek more work, or face having their benefits reduced
  • Jobseekers over 50 to be given extra time with work coaches to help them return to job market
What is universal credit?
Work and investment
  • IR35 rules - the rules which govern off-payroll working - to be simplified
  • Annual investment allowance, the amount companies can invest tax free, remains at £1m indefinitely
  • Regulations change so pensions funds can increase UK investments
  • New and start-up companies able to raise up to £250,000 under scheme giving tax relief to investors
  • Share options for employees doubled from £30,000 to £60,000
Stamp duty
  • Cut to stamp duty which is paid when people buy a property in England and Northern Ireland
  • No stamp duty on first £250,000 and for first time buyers that rises to £425,000 - comes into operation today
  • 200,000 more people will be taken out of paying stamp duty altogether, government claims
What are the new stamp duty rates?
Energy
  • Freeze on energy bills, which the government claims will reduce inflation by 5 percentage points
  • Total cost for the energy package expected to be around £60bn for the six months from October
Bankers' bonuses
  • Rules which limit bankers' bonuses scrapped
  • Package of regulatory reforms to be set out later in the autumn
Shopping
  • VAT-free shopping for overseas visitors
  • Planned increases in the duties on beer, for cider, for wine, and for spirits cancelled
Infrastructure and investment zones
  • Government discussing setting up investment zones with 38 local areas in England
  • Tax cuts and liberalised planning rules to be offered to release land for housing and commercial use
  • Investment zones offered measures such as no business rates and stamp duty waived
  • New legislation to cut planning rules, get rid of EU regulations and environmental assessments in an effort to speed up building

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 5
No big surprises with the budget, it does make sense to have a conservative style budget. Least it seems like a bit more direction than the Johnson and Sunak mess.

Out of my own selfishness one thing I dont see mentioned is the mileage rate, so guess it's still at 45p then 25p over 10'000 miles.

Income tax
  • Currently, people in England, Wales and Northern Ireland pay 20% on any annual earning between £12,571 to £50,270 - rates in Scotland are different
  • 45% higher rate of income tax abolished for England, Wales and Northern Ireland taxpayers
National Insurance
Corporation tax
Benefits
  • Rules around universal credit tightened, by reducing benefits if people don't fulfil job search commitments
  • Around 120,000 more people on Universal Credit to be asked to take steps to seek more work, or face having their benefits reduced
  • Jobseekers over 50 to be given extra time with work coaches to help them return to job market
Work and investment
  • Annual investment allowance, the amount companies can invest tax free, remains at £1m indefinitely
  • New and start-up companies able to raise up to £250,000 under scheme giving tax relief to investors
Stamp duty
  • Cut to stamp duty which is paid when people buy a property in England and Northern Ireland
  • No stamp duty on first £250,000 and for first time buyers that rises to £425,000 - comes into operation today
  • 200,000 more people will be taken out of paying stamp duty altogether, government claims
Energy
  • Freeze on energy bills, which the government claims will reduce inflation by 5 percentage points
  • Total cost for the energy package expected to be around £60bn for the six months from October
Bankers' bonuses
Shopping
  • Planned increases in the duties on beer, for cider, for wine, and for spirits cancelled
  • Government discussing setting up investment zones with 38 local areas in England
  • Tax cuts and liberalised planning rules to be offered to release land for housing and commercial use
  • Investment zones offered measures such as no business rates and stamp duty waived
  • New legislation to cut planning rules, get rid of EU regulations and environmental assessments in an effort to speed up building
It will certainly be interesting to see if they increase the higher rate tax rate. Especially as they have removed the additional rate.

I'm in a similar situation expect I'm in the last few couple months of maternity leave and not being paid at all. I've saved enough to give myself a little wage for these months but when I saved it things weren't so bad costs wise and our food bill has gone up alot since then. Not to mention energy aswell of course! It will be a very tough couple of months with no luxuries like meat (what a time to be alive I'm calling a bit of bloody beef mince a luxury) or buying anything that isn't totally nessesary.

• Heart
Reactions: 3

Income tax
National Insurance
Corporation tax
Benefits
Work and investment
Stamp duty
Energy
Bankers' bonuses
Shopping
Really worrying to hear the last few bullet points re dropping environmental assessments for new build homes & “liberalised planning rules”. Firstly no one should be forced to live in a home that hasn’t had adequate environmental checks on it, but secondly we shouldn’t be developing on sites of scientific/environmental or heritage significance! Appalling.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
Really worrying to hear the last few bullet points re dropping environmental assessments for new build homes & “liberalised planning rules”. Firstly no one should be forced to live in a home that hasn’t had adequate environmental checks on it, but secondly we shouldn’t be developing on sites of scientific/environmental or heritage significance! Appalling.
I would like to know the details behind some of these planning changes when announced. I'm not sure I trust either the government or environmental groups with what they say it'll lead to.

I know from around here they've been building on green land for several new developments over the recent years and other disused concrete sites that you'd assume are areas ripe for development they've not been permitted to build on as supposedly they're protected. 🤷‍♀️

I'm not sure what will happen with house builders with the mess that is the housing market. In similar conditions they stopped building and sat on their landbanks which helps no one. They should be forced to use it or lose it. That's some regulation I'd support.

• Sad
Reactions: 4
I would like to know the details behind some of these planning changes when announced. I'm not sure I trust either the government or environmental groups with what they say it'll lead to.

I know from around here they've been building on green land for several new developments over the recent years and other sites disused concrete sites that you'd assume are grea areas rope for development they've not been permitted to build on as supposedly they're green. 🤷‍♀️

I'm not sure what will happen with house builders with the mess that is the housing market. In similar conditions they stopped building and sat on their landbanks.
I know development has always been a contentious subject full of NIMBYism but I worry we’ll get into a situation like in the US with environmental racism where the poorest communities with v little social capital have no choice but to live in inappropriate accommodation with unsafe water, or tit air quality, or all the other bad things that these environmental regs ensure no one need endure. I worry they’d be shoved in those shitholes then the government turn around and shrug a bit like the cladding scandal. I just don’t trust them to do right by people or planet.

Reactions: 12
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.