Discontent #8 food, energy, transport, cost of living, society etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The food bill is stressing me out !!!
I can’t get over the constant price increases that seem like they are going up week on week. I bought toilet roll yesterday and it was over £10. Sure it lasts ages but I’m sure last time I bought it, it was £7.

ETA I know toilet roll isn’t food but I was thinking of the grocery bill😆

Reactions: 11
After my £30 top up shop barely getting anything earlier in the week, I've done an Asda online shop (ideally I would have gone in but I have no transport currently and I've done a "big" shop)

I've chosen some of the "just essentials" range to give them a try so baked beans, mushy peas, spaghetti and tomatoes in tins, some of the battered fish packs and meaty ready meals as a back up for my partner and some plant based bits and 2 lots of frozen veg for me to go in the freezer (I'm a veggie) and some bread

I've also got some tin foil as my chap likes it to use on the grill with sausages and I've gotten a big pack of toilet rolls to hopefully make them last and they were also the cheapest per roll - I'm not sure my partner will like it but giving it a go!

It came to about £60 - I did buy a couple of each tins and not listed everything I purchased but should last us around 2 weeks I expect as I already have potatoes and fresh fruit and veg in (as well as some I've already frozen) as well as staples like butter

I'm really interested to see how our bills go as we are actually in credit now but they still want almost double our previous direct debit 😩 it seems mad to be in credit and just keep building it - especially as I'm actively trying to not use that much energy as what I usually would 😟

Everyone I speak to is nervous or already struggling.
I feel it's going to be tough all round and it's so disheartening. I'm going to be keeping an eye on my neighbours also as I know a few live alone and are already saying they are cold yet not willing to put the heating on or cook a hot meal 😔

I can’t get over the constant price increases that seem like they are going up week on week. I bought toilet roll yesterday and it was over £10. Sure it lasts ages but I’m sure last time I bought it, it was £7.

ETA I know toilet roll isn’t food but I was thinking of the grocery bill😆
Yes I paid £10 for 24 rolls! I've never paid that much for toilet roll! (Controversial but I've switched to reusable for number 1s but my partner goes through loo roll like there's no tomorrow so I feel I've got to find a way to ration it 😆) he's not knowing I've got 24 or they won't last a week!!

Reactions: 7
I miss my kids being younger and going to the park was a good day out.

I think it cost me £40 the last time we went to a trampoline/inflatables type place for a 90 minute slot. I find the cinema a fairly inexpensive day out if you pre book the tickets (£3.99 at vue) and take snacks with you.
Yes it's about £30 just to enter the trampoline type places and some of them try to stop you bringing any of your own food/drink in. I do always sneak our own water in because I can buy a 12 pack of £1.79 v over £1 per bottle in these places.

I was trying to explain to my kids that when I was younger these types of places didn't exist and I had to entertain myself. 🤣

Reactions: 4
Yes it's about £30 just to enter the trampoline type places and some of them try to stop you bringing any of your own food/drink in. I do always sneak our own water in because I can buy a 12 pack of £1.79 v over £1 per bottle in these places.

I was trying to explain to my kids that when I was younger these types of places didn't exist and I had to entertain myself. 🤣
Its really hard especially when it seems like everyone is doing constant activities. 😭 my eldest in particular really knows how to guilt trip and make me feel awful. I really try my best but everything is so bloody expensive.

Swimming lessons cost me £45 per month (1 child) have a football season ticket which costs a fair bit annually, dress down days at school. It all adds up and they get so much more than I ever got as a child.

It seems easier in the summer as my eldest will spend hours outside with friends now the weather is mince its much harder as I dont want these kids in my house 24/7 😂

Well that’s another Prime Minister down after her mess of a budget. Does anyone else think we’ll have another election by Christmas?

Reactions: 8
Hope it didn't sound picky, I'm only suggesting it because we earn similar and have a very easy lifestyle even after tax, stupidly high childcare costs and a high mortgage (as want to get rid of it ASAP!). I do love a good spreadsheet though, plugging everything in might help identify where you could make some savings?

Have you looked at the switching bonuses some banks are offering? I think I've maxed those out and it's so easy, with your household earnings you should be accepted for them all 😊 a little Christmas bonus!
I love a spreadsheet! I've set mine up so in a separate table it deducts my outgoings from my income so I can see what's left over. Our household income is low £17k so have to really watch where it's going and plan ahead for when netball/dance/gymnastics fees are due

Is there anyway to share an example spreadsheet that we may download - or anywhere online we could find a similar set up (I imagine so but just wondered if anyone has any quick links before I go looking as this sounds super helpful!) Xx

• Heart
Is there anyway to share an example spreadsheet that we may download - or anywhere online we could find a similar set up (I imagine so but just wondered if anyone has any quick links before I go looking as this sounds super helpful!) Xx
Think I might have a copy of mine on sheets. I'm just about to leave for school pick up but I'll have a look later

Reactions: 2
it's about £30 just to enter the trampoline type places
My 8ft trampoline cost £30! Was a few years ago and doesn't have a safety net, but the children have certainly got their moneys worth over the years from it.

My 8ft trampoline cost £30! Was a few years ago and doesn't have a safety net, but the children have certainly got their moneys worth over the years from it.

We have a trampoline too. 10ft and I think it was about £100 2 years ago.

Some pensioners must be doing all right. Those are the ones with a trolley full or they’ve got 8 bottles of wine at the till, jumping into their 4x4 cars. It’s people with kids or working households that are struggling and getting no help but all people seem to care about is giving maximum help to old people.
I am especially glad during times like this that I have never had the feeling of wanting kids. I am at the age many do have children. Husband and I are content without and don't feel like we are missing out. It certainly makes these precarious times a little easier, financially. I know there are always bad times in the world but I couldn't imagine bringing a child into this utter mess... What will the world be like in 20 years time? I do feel bad for people that really want children but would suffer financially so are having to choose what to do. I know for some, it will hurt to choose not to have a child.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Having my Covid jab today in a town I don’t usually visit for shopping etc. shocked by the number of empty shops - the high street looks like a mouth full of missing teeth. All that’s left is phone shops, vape shops, tat shops. Oh dear, oh dear.

• Sad
Reactions: 13
Having my Covid jab today in a town I don’t usually visit for shopping etc. shocked by the number of empty shops - the high street looks like a mouth full of missing teeth. All that’s left is phone shops, vape shops, tat shops. Oh dear, oh dear.
On the flip side of this I’d really like to see how the out of town places like B&M, The Range, Poundland and Home Bargains are doing in this climate as they always seem absolutely packed near me despite their increased prices. Huge trolleys full at the checkout and I live in a very deprived area. Some of the trolley loads people had in the supermarket toy events the past 2 weeks have looked like something out of Supermarket Sweep 😂 I like to live vicariously through what other people have in their trolleys as we are trying not to spend anything unnecessarily for the time being 😔

Reactions: 9
On the flip side of this I’d really like to see how the out of town places like B&M, The Range, Poundland and Home Bargains are doing in this climate as they always seem absolutely packed near me despite their increased prices. Huge trolleys full at the checkout and I live in a very deprived area. Some of the trolley loads people had in the supermarket toy events the past 2 weeks have looked like something out of Supermarket Sweep 😂 I like to live vicariously through what other people have in their trolleys as we are trying not to spend anything unnecessarily for the time being 😔
I was shocked to find on a visit to Superdrug that the hair colourant I had just bought in Home Bargains for 99p was £5.50 in Superdrug!!! I don't know how HB does it. They always have what I want at a decent price.

Reactions: 9
Its really hard especially when it seems like everyone is doing constant activities. 😭 my eldest in particular really knows how to guilt trip and make me feel awful. I really try my best but everything is so bloody expensive.

Swimming lessons cost me £45 per month (1 child) have a football season ticket which costs a fair bit annually, dress down days at school. It all adds up and they get so much more than I ever got as a child.

It seems easier in the summer as my eldest will spend hours outside with friends now the weather is mince its much harder as I dont want these kids in my house 24/7 😂
Don't forget, a lot of people live life on tick, credit cards and loans etc. So it may be that they have a lot of debt you don't know about

Reactions: 14
After my £30 top up shop barely getting anything earlier in the week, I've done an Asda online shop (ideally I would have gone in but I have no transport currently and I've done a "big" shop)

I've chosen some of the "just essentials" range to give them a try so baked beans, mushy peas, spaghetti and tomatoes in tins, some of the battered fish packs and meaty ready meals as a back up for my partner and some plant based bits and 2 lots of frozen veg for me to go in the freezer (I'm a veggie) and some bread

I've also got some tin foil as my chap likes it to use on the grill with sausages and I've gotten a big pack of toilet rolls to hopefully make them last and they were also the cheapest per roll - I'm not sure my partner will like it but giving it a go!

It came to about £60 - I did buy a couple of each tins and not listed everything I purchased but should last us around 2 weeks I expect as I already have potatoes and fresh fruit and veg in (as well as some I've already frozen) as well as staples like butter

I'm really interested to see how our bills go as we are actually in credit now but they still want almost double our previous direct debit 😩 it seems mad to be in credit and just keep building it - especially as I'm actively trying to not use that much energy as what I usually would 😟

Everyone I speak to is nervous or already struggling.
I feel it's going to be tough all round and it's so disheartening. I'm going to be keeping an eye on my neighbours also as I know a few live alone and are already saying they are cold yet not willing to put the heating on or cook a hot meal 😔

Yes I paid £10 for 24 rolls! I've never paid that much for toilet roll! (Controversial but I've switched to reusable for number 1s but my partner goes through loo roll like there's no tomorrow so I feel I've got to find a way to ration it 😆) he's not knowing I've got 24 or they won't last a week!!
If you are close to a Home Bargains you could try Nicky? It’s £8.79 for 32 rolls 🧻

Reactions: 7
If you are close to a Home Bargains you could try Nicky? It’s £8.79 for 32 rolls 🧻
Thank you - i am not too close to a home bargains - I think the nearest is about 25 minutes away but it is near my parents and there's an Aldi and Lidl nearby so I'll definitely go in when I'm over that way next!

• Heart
I was shocked to find on a visit to Superdrug that the hair colourant I had just bought in Home Bargains for 99p was £5.50 in Superdrug!!! I don't know how HB does it. They always have what I want at a decent price.
I think they buy in huge masses from discounted places. I remember a couple of years back there was a scandal because B&M were selling fake head and shoulders shampoo from dodgy suppliers. They did tests on it on BBC Watchdog I think it was and it contained chemicals that affect how your body is formed if taken as a child and all sorts. There was a child on there being interviewed that used it and had a massive reaction to it. I think they also sold fake Pantene at one point. But apart from seeing it on watchdog I’d have never known. Not saying all products they have are like as i use them all the time for brands but I think they just get things anywhere they can.

• Wow
Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.