Discontent #8 food, energy, transport, cost of living, society etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Some pensioners must be doing all right. Those are the ones with a trolley full or they’ve got 8 bottles of wine at the till, jumping into their 4x4 cars. It’s people with kids or working households that are struggling and getting no help but all people seem to care about is giving maximum help to old people.

Reactions: 7
There is no point in us turning on each other.

In every demographic across the nation there will be families struggling and families doing ok, pensioners struggling to turn the heating on and other pensioners who are spending half the year at a holiday home.

We need to band together and demand better for everyone. There is not one group of people who you can point to and say theyre the worst off they need help.

My household are the squeezed middle, we would typically be the type funding restaurants, local coffee shops, kids recreational clubs. If things get worse we will cut back and if everyone in our circumstances has to cut back on similar things its disastrous for the local economy.

• Heart
Reactions: 54
Some pensioners must be doing all right. Those are the ones with a trolley full or they’ve got 8 bottles of wine at the till, jumping into their 4x4 cars. It’s people with kids or working households that are struggling and getting no help but all people seem to care about is giving maximum help to old people.
And some families will be doing just fine. There is no need to demonise one side in order to publicise the other.

Both need help. All those struggling need help

• Heart
Reactions: 22
I have no skin in the game of either pensioners or families, or couples who struggle. I see them all, two days a week at the Foodbank. What we all need to realise is that even if some pensioners and families have been fortunate and can manage, a great many people are one or two paychecks away from real hardship, mostly because of circumstances wholly out of their control. Young or old, this crisis is going to hit some very hard, and not affect others. ‘‘Twas ever thus. We need compassion for anyone who has little now and will have even less soon enough. All this ‘Be Kind’ stuff soon goes to 💩 when there’s a bit of a challenge, eh?

• Heart
Reactions: 20
I couldn't disagree more. Sure there are some pensioners extremely well off, but they have usually worked for it.

Remember most of us will be old some day.

Couldn't you find some other group to pick on.

Reactions: 9
I don’t know anyone who isn’t concerned or trying to cut back, including my own siblings who have been really comfortable for most of their lives, good jobs, 2 cars, holidays abroad etc. I’m disabled and cannot work at the moment, I live in a council property and that’s covered by housing benefit etc, I am worried about gas, electric and food, and despite being financially poorer than my siblings, I’m actually more secure in that my income is what it is, my home is covered etc, they don’t have that security and that I know is terrifying them. I don’t think this a easy time for anyone right now, and the worst thing of all that it isn’t any individuals fault.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I couldn't disagree more. Sure there are some pensioners extremely well off, but they have usually worked for it.

Remember most of us will be old some day.

Couldn't you find some other group to pick on.
Yeah I don't understand this way of thinking. It's like saying students aren't poor because there are loads of students who go out all the time and have nice clothes. Which was the case when I was at uni but i and a lot of others were barely able to pay rent etc. Similarly a lot of families with kids are well off and not struggling. Not sure why pensioners would be this one homogeneous group all doing well.

Reactions: 9
I'm really struggling. The kids are off school this week (scottish holidays) and they just don't stop eating. I go to Aldi every other day for snacks things like grapes, sausage rolls and cold meat. It's constant. I can't afford to do anything with them because days out and expensive. It's also chucking it down here. I'm so fed up of them moaning they are bored.

They could also do with new trainers that I simply can't afford atm and they keep asking for things that again I can't afford. 😑

I'm on 26k. Hubby is on 48k. We pay 850 per month mortgage, 280 council tax, 420 on cars, 315 gas and electric and all the other bills good, fuel, virgin media etc. We are the squeezed middle.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 25
My friend whom I was helping last night actually said ‘it’d be better if I was disabled or sick, not just old and useless’. I wanted to cry. 😢

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 27
I'm really struggling. The kids are off school this week (scottish holidays) and they just don't stop eating. I go to Aldi every other day for snacks things like grapes, sausage rolls and cold meat. It's constant. I can't afford to do anything with them because days out and expensive. It's also chucking it down here. I'm so fed up of them moaning they are bored.

They could also do with new trainers that I simply can't afford atm and they keep asking for things that again I can't afford. 😑

I'm on 26k. Hubby is on 48k. We pay 850 per month mortgage, 280 council tax, 420 on cars, 315 gas and electric and all the other bills good, fuel, virgin media etc. We are the squeezed middle.
We've been the same. It really has been a rotten week. We're all unwell and in some ways its made things easier because we cant go out anyway but its non stop eating. Ive made some nice soups etc for lunch but it is non stop when the weather is miserable. I see folk down south are still in shorts 😔

Reactions: 10

Without wanting to sound harsh, It might be worth doing a spreadsheet to see where your money is really going. You are earning comfortably and it's hard to see how you are struggling so much on the amounts provided.

Reactions: 23
Without wanting to sound harsh, It might be worth doing a spreadsheet to see where your money is really going. You are earning comfortably and it's hard to see how you are struggling so much on the amounts provided.

Over 30% of both our earnings go on tax, NI and pension contributions. I know we are decent earners but we do have pretty high outgoings. We have considered getting a cheaper car though in the past when we've done this it's been a false economy because we end up spending to fix older cars every other month.

I'm by no means moaning thay we can't pay our bills. We do cover those. I just mean days out, new trainers, holidays, dinners out etc. We never seem to be able to comfortably stretch to those. I also don't but anything on credit either though where as alot of my friends think nothing of booking holidays on a credit card.

Reactions: 8
Suppose it depends on your outgoings, childcare costs, petrol costs (if you have long commutes) for 2 cars you could be looking at £400 a month in fuel now. Insurances, animals if you have them.

Lots of things people have they cant give up.

My animals cost me about £200 per month. I didnt budget for things like gas and electric tripling when I got my dogs 🙈

Over 30% of both our earnings go on tax, NI and pension contributions. I know we are decent earners but we do have pretty high outgoings. We have considered getting a cheaper car though in the past when we've done this it's been a false economy because we end up spending to fix older cars every other month.

I'm by no means moaning thay we can't pay our bills. We do cover those. I just mean days out, new trainers, holidays, dinners out etc. We never seem to be able to comfortably stretch to those. I also don't but anything on credit either though where as alot of my friends think nothing of booking holidays on a credit card.
Hope it didn't sound picky, I'm only suggesting it because we earn similar and have a very easy lifestyle even after tax, stupidly high childcare costs and a high mortgage (as want to get rid of it ASAP!). I do love a good spreadsheet though, plugging everything in might help identify where you could make some savings?

Have you looked at the switching bonuses some banks are offering? I think I've maxed those out and it's so easy, with your household earnings you should be accepted for them all 😊 a little Christmas bonus!

Reactions: 5
Hope it didn't sound picky, I'm only suggesting it because we earn similar and have a very easy lifestyle even after tax, stupidly high childcare costs and a high mortgage (as want to get rid of it ASAP!). I do love a good spreadsheet though, plugging everything in might help identify where you could make some savings?

Have you looked at the switching bonuses some banks are offering? I think I've maxed those out and it's so easy, with your household earnings you should be accepted for them all 😊 a little Christmas bonus!
Thanks. No not picky at all. I think I'm just feeling it this week because the food shopping just seems endless and I'm trying to hold the kids off on new things until Christmas.

No I haven't heard of the bank bonuses thing. I'll look in to it. X

Reactions: 2
Weird, me and my partner have higher incomes and similar bills, but no kids and we don't have a crazy amount of spare cash. Can't actually imaging having kids, nor sure how it can be the case of dping a spreadsheet and seeing where the money is going. It's clearly going on bills and normal living costs

Weird, me and my partner have higher incomes and similar bills, but no kids and we don't have a crazy amount of spare cash. Can't actually imaging having kids, nor sure how it can be the case of dping a spreadsheet and seeing where the money is going. It's clearly going on bills and normal living costs
I forgot to mention we pay just over £300 per month to a personal loan so not exactly true when I say we have no debt. This was a loan taken out to do an extension though which was needed to prevent us having to move house. Taken out over 5 years and there's 2 years left. Will be so glad when it's cleared.

Reactions: 4

We are similar income and outgoings to you, with nursery fees of £800 a month as well 😩 it is hard, we are lucky we can pay our bills, to be fair we don’t ever really go out for dinner as we have young kids but family days out are expensive. We won’t be going on any holidays abroad until my youngest gets her nursery funding I imagine

Reactions: 4
I miss my kids being younger and going to the park was a good day out.

I think it cost me £40 the last time we went to a trampoline/inflatables type place for a 90 minute slot. I find the cinema a fairly inexpensive day out if you pre book the tickets (£3.99 at vue) and take snacks with you.

Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.