Discontent #8 food, energy, transport, cost of living, society etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Slightly on topic…

In order to make cheaper lunches to take to work, I’ve been trying to take leftover pasta in sauce to work, in a tupperware, to eat cold (no microwave at work). However, by the time i get to eat it the pasta seems to expand and soak up all the tomato sauce and sticks to itself into one big unappetising blob. Does anyone have any budget friendly tips on how to keep leftover pasta edible? I used to buy the pasta pots from the lunch grab and go section at Tesco but I can’t justify the cost anymore, however, that pasta never stuck to itself. I’m just wondering if there is a hack to stop the pasta congealing in the tupperware, overnight.
I mix in a teaspoon of olive oil or cheap pesto (vegan one is about £1) once cooled to stop it sticking.

Reactions: 6
The problem is people say this about everything - schools should teach kids about cooking, schools should teach kids about personal finance, schools should teach kids basic household repairs, schools should get kids to do an hour of PE every day, schools should teach kids first aid... I once heard someone say, in all earnestness, that schools should teach girls how to apply make up and walk in high heels because they're essential skills for women 🤣 We do already do cover a bit of this stuff (not the high heels tho!), but if we tried to fit in everything that people say should be taught in school there'd be no time for the academic subjects.

At some point these things have to be parents' responsibility, and for kids whose parents can't or won't teach them basic life skills they eventually have to take responsibility for teaching themselves - I don't mean necessarily while they're still kids, but we live in a time where any adult with an internet connection and no learning disabilities can search 'how to cook pasta' on youtube and get free step-by-step video tutorials on everything from boiling a plain pot of penne, to making Malaysian noodle soup with seven different spices and vegetables you can only find in an Asian supermarket. I do sympathise with adults learning to cook for the first time because learning any skill when you're starting from zero is daunting, but there comes a point where you have to ask, how much more help we can actually give people?

It's the same reason I thought the scrapped government campaign mentioned earlier in the thread was stupid. It's not on the government to tell people to turn their central heating off when no-one's in the house, nor is it a good use of public funds - sometimes people have to use a bit of their own initiative and not expect someone else to teach them how to do everything. And if they can't manage that, well, they can leave their radiators on for eight hours while everyone's at work and complain about their astronomical gas bills, I guess 🤷‍♀️
i agree but I don’t. The issue we have in society is that not all parents WILL teach their kids but we have a problem in this country with obesity and crappy diets. We’re now seeing prediabetic children. So surely a universal approach is the best option even if it means scrapping something to replace it.

i appreciate what you’re saying about adults as that’s exactly what I did. what I will say though, is that when I started cooking I knew nothing about nutrition. Diddly squat. Many parents have kids knowing nothing about nutrition which means kids grow up knowing nothing about nutrition. There needs to be an intervention somewhere because this will cost us in the long run with health and social care.
i really understand personal responsibility but you could argue that about anything. Seatbelts could be personal responsibility, smoking, drugs etc. At some point we need to acknowledge that we’ve got a problem and fix the problem and if that borders on nanny state then it does 🤷🏻‍♀️

I’m not saying weekly lessons. I’m saying a PSHE style lesson every term on nutrition and budgeting and all that life stuff. I did pshe in school for 5 years and learnt about Guantanamo bay. Important but not really useful. Better even start teaching it in primary school. Reception kids can totally learn the basics about vegetables and vitamins.

that said, I don’t think the responsibility should fall completely on schools. The food industry needs to take responsibility for the tit they’ve caused and the government needs to grow a backbone.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Sad state of affairs if fresh, healthy berries are seen as a 'treat'. Why is a 5 year old less entitled to nutritious food? Arguably even more important saying as they are still developing. Nurture a child loving berries, that's a great thing.
They can have a few berries (when it's the season, unless they're frozen, it's important to teach kids seasonality) and other fruits too. Kids can understand certain food is more "rare".
A friend grows up few strawberries and cherry tomatoes in the balcony. It shows her townie little daughter how it grows and when there is a little fruit, the girl gathers and eats it and appreciates it more.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
I'm surprised anyone still buys heinz. They're a total rip off. Baked beans are haricot beans in tomato sauce, how can they possibly justify charging up to 5 times as much as a basic supermarket brand when they're basically the same thing?
And re. spending pounds on berries for a 5 year old, I personally wouldn't be doing that. My kids have always understood that we live on a budget, and some things are just for treats and other things are for every day.
Fruit isn't a treat in our house. I'm not going to deny my 5 year old healthy food shes asking for. Sweets and chocolate are a treat for us. Plus she has just turned 5, budgets kind of go over her head 🤣 id rather her be asking for fruit and hummus than anything else really 🤷🏼‍♀️ ill go without my own treat so she can have her fruit but each family is different

• Heart
Reactions: 20
The problem is people say this about everything - schools should teach kids about cooking, schools should teach kids about personal finance, schools should teach kids basic household repairs, schools should get kids to do an hour of PE every day, schools should teach kids first aid... I once heard someone say, in all earnestness, that schools should teach girls how to apply make up and walk in high heels because they're essential skills for women 🤣 We do already do cover a bit of this stuff (not the high heels tho!), but if we tried to fit in everything that people say should be taught in school there'd be no time for the academic subjects.

At some point these things have to be parents' responsibility, and for kids whose parents can't or won't teach them basic life skills they eventually have to take responsibility for teaching themselves - I don't mean necessarily while they're still kids, but we live in a time where any adult with an internet connection and no learning disabilities can search 'how to cook pasta' on youtube and get free step-by-step video tutorials on everything from boiling a plain pot of penne, to making Malaysian noodle soup with seven different spices and vegetables you can only find in an Asian supermarket. I do sympathise with adults learning to cook for the first time because learning any skill when you're starting from zero is daunting, but there comes a point where you have to ask, how much more help we can actually give people?

It's the same reason I thought the scrapped government campaign mentioned earlier in the thread was stupid. It's not on the government to tell people to turn their central heating off when no-one's in the house, nor is it a good use of public funds - sometimes people have to use a bit of their own initiative and not expect someone else to teach them how to do everything. And if they can't manage that, well, they can leave their radiators on for eight hours while everyone's at work and complain about their astronomical gas bills, I guess 🤷‍♀️
Couldn’t agree with this more 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻 I struggle to understand how anyone can complain of “lack of education” regarding diet and nutrition when the internet is at your fingertips.

Reactions: 4
I'm surprised anyone still buys heinz. They're a total rip off. Baked beans are haricot beans in tomato sauce, how can they possibly justify charging up to 5 times as much as a basic supermarket brand when they're basically the same thing?
And re. spending pounds on berries for a 5 year old, I personally wouldn't be doing that. My kids have always understood that we live on a budget, and some things are just for treats and other things are for every day.
I've just seen 9 Andrex quilted toilet rolls for £6.75 :eek:, that's nearly double own brand price.

• Wow
Reactions: 5
Couldn’t agree with this more 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻 I struggle to understand how anyone can complain of “lack of education” regarding diet and nutrition when the internet is at your fingertips.
I think the issue is more that we often think is healthy isn't. For example, pasta is seen as healthy, but normal pasta, in all honesty, isn't. Wholemeal is. Smoothies are seen as really healthy and they are to a degree as they have vitamins in it but there is unthinkable amount of sugar in it cause once you blend a fruit the sugars become free sugars. It's basically the equivalent to a can of coke.
Also, a lot of foods have hidden added sugars that the general public maybe wouldn't know about.
It's easy to say 'look it up' but the information we get isn't always accurate. It's not as simple as Mcdonalds = bad, Vegetables = good. Of course everyone knows that but the situation is so much more nuanced

Reactions: 8
I've just seen 9 Andrex quilted toilet rolls for £6.75 :eek:, that's nearly double own brand price.
I do often wonder who buys the fancy loo roll at the crazy price it is now. The one I buy is like prison issue 😂. Although I do have an aunt who does buy Andrex religiously, I admire the dogs on it every time I see the roll but then think my goodness money down the actual toilet…

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Food has gone up so much. Some of the prices look like a joke, Heinz soup is £1.40 a tin! The chunky soup is £1.70, for one tin. I buy unbranded as it is much cheaper but even that is going up loads.

If you have space in your fridge, I find bread lasts longer in there so you could buy more and it might help cut down the top up shops?
I freeze mine and get it out as I need it. It defrosts quickly.

Slightly on topic…

In order to make cheaper lunches to take to work, I’ve been trying to take leftover pasta in sauce to work, in a tupperware, to eat cold (no microwave at work). However, by the time i get to eat it the pasta seems to expand and soak up all the tomato sauce and sticks to itself into one big unappetising blob. Does anyone have any budget friendly tips on how to keep leftover pasta edible? I used to buy the pasta pots from the lunch grab and go section at Tesco but I can’t justify the cost anymore, however, that pasta never stuck to itself. I’m just wondering if there is a hack to stop the pasta congealing in the tupperware, overnight.
I've never tested it but I have read about people taking hot rolls in an insulated lunch bag with a flask of hot soup, ergo I would think you could therefore microwave the pasta before leaving to go to work and the insulated bag would keep it warm and stop it congealing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
I do often wonder who buys the fancy loo roll at the crazy price it is now. The one I buy is like prison issue 😂. Although I do have an aunt who does buy Andrex religiously, I admire the dogs on it every time I see the roll but then think my goodness money down the actual toilet…
Toilet paper is one of the things we spend more on.... We get it from Costco though so you get loads

I think the issue is more that we often think is healthy isn't. For example, pasta is seen as healthy, but normal pasta, in all honesty, isn't. Wholemeal is. Smoothies are seen as really healthy and they are to a degree as they have vitamins in it but there is unthinkable amount of sugar in it cause once you blend a fruit the sugars become free sugars. It's basically the equivalent to a can of coke.
Also, a lot of foods have hidden added sugars that the general public maybe wouldn't know about.
It's easy to say 'look it up' but the information we get isn't always accurate. It's not as simple as Mcdonalds = bad, Vegetables = good. Of course everyone knows that but the situation is so much more nuanced
This is so true. When you look at a McD burger and compare to their salad with dressing, the burger has less calories! I know it's not just calories but all the other nutrition and that the salad is healthier in that respect. Those dressings are the killer. You think you are being good having a salad but what is being smeared on it?

This is so true. When you look at a McD burger and compare to their salad with dressing, the burger has less calories! I know it's not just calories but all the other nutrition and that the salad is healthier in that respect. Those dressings are the killer. You think you are being good having a salad but what is being smeared on it?
Exactly! There's less sugar in happy meal fanta than there is in the tropicana orange juice. Yet one is deemed heathier than the other! ETA: Obviously orange juice is 'healthier' as it's got vitamins and fanta is processed. However sugar is still sugar 🤷‍♀️
I actually made a thread to talk about it cause health and nutrition really fascinates me.

You do have to wonder, it's crazy expensive. 6 tins of Heinz beans and 9 Andrex loo rolls is £11.25 :eek:.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 5
I agree the added sugar (salt and other things) is an issue with industrial products, especially prep meals but not only. It's just how capitalism works. Better use mostly untransformed simple products.

Food is life and highly cultural. Certain people don't have the basic knowledge anymore. It's not about calories counting. Sugar and fat shouldn't be demonised. You can eat EVERYTHING, it's just a question of balance. Italians eat pasta everyday and they are one of the "thinnest" country in Europe. My thin colleagues in France always end their meal with a pastry, the sugary touch lol
I am not thin myself but if I eat a big meal at lunch, I'm just not able to have something big at dinner (my body can't take it).
Also, a lot of traditional meals in Europe are quite rich, but people were much less sedentary before.

Reactions: 7
I agree the added sugar (salt and other things) is an issue with industrial products, especially prep meals but not only. It's just how capitalism works. Better use mostly untransformed simple products.

Food is life and highly cultural. Certain people don't have the basic knowledge anymore. It's not about calories counting. Sugar and fat shouldn't be demonised. You can eat EVERYTHING, it's just a question of balance. Italians eat pasta everyday and they are one of the "thinnest" country in Europe. My thin colleagues in France always end their meal with a pastry, the sugary touch lol
I am not thin myself but if I eat a big meal at lunch, I'm just not able to have something big at dinner (my body can't take it).
Also, a lot of traditional meals in Europe are quite rich, but people were much less sedentary before.
I agree that you can eat anything and I’m not saying that no one should eat pasta or sugar or cut out anything. What I’m saying is that our knowledge of nutrition isn’t always accurate. So we get told fruit juice is healthy when reality is, it’s a sugary drink. Having a glass of juice a day is obviously fine and perfectly healthy but there are people who will think “well this is healthy” and drink it all day.

I echo about Europeans. Germans eat a lot of processed meats and are still slim and healthy 🤷🏻‍♀️

In my hometown in the UK, I can get to 5 McDonald’s within 15 minutes.

Right, it's very much the drinks too. We drink water basically and the other drinks are just occasional.

• Sad
Reactions: 3
thats around what we used to spend on the supreme quilted, I know some say theres barely a diff to own brand but imo there def is.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.