Discontent #8 food, energy, transport, cost of living, society etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It’s quite frightening how things haven’t really changed. Accept we have food banks now and I guess a bit more financial help for families. It seems no one in charge has learnt anything in 40+ years.

Reactions: 6
I've probably asked about this before, so apologies if I'm repeating myself, has anyone heard anything about the warm home discount this year? I'm with eon next and nothing on their website but I'm sure it's usually before now/around now I've applied in previous years

Also, worrying because the second cost of living payment date hasn't been confirmed yet
In England and Wales you no longer need to apply if you are in the broader group (basically not a pensioner) and the DWP will tell providers who is entitled. But they have changed the rules so it's not just about having a low income like before but also having high bills due to illness or size of home etc

It's meant to increase people entitled but it just means poor single parents like me who live in tiny homes and use little energy cos they can't afford it will lose out sadly. The Scottish system seems more similar to previous schemes.

Reactions: 2
In England and Wales you no longer need to apply if you are in the broader group (basically not a pensioner) and the DWP will tell providers who is entitled. But they have changed the rules so it's not just about having a low income like before but also having high bills due to illness or size of home etc

It's meant to increase people entitled but it just means poor single parents like me who live in tiny homes and use little energy cos they can't afford it will lose out sadly. The Scottish system seems more similar to previous schemes.

Eon.next didn't seem to be aware of this! From that link I don’t think I will get it as I'm in a new build so fairly efficient

Reactions: 1
Iv just caved and ordered a tumble dryer. I've been doing this for weeks and its taking over 24hrs to dry my clothes. I did a wash yesterday around 10am. Put the dehumidifier on which was on all day and night till about 10pm. Woke up this morning, clothes were still damp. And that was on a 1600 spin washing machine. It was stressing me out that I was literally doing washing over 2 days whereas with a tumble, i can get them washed, dried, ironed & put away in a day.
I do think sometimes it is worth spending money on electricity for convenience.

Reactions: 6
I'm "only" 29 and freely admit I know very little about politics, so I'm aware this is probably very close-minded of me, but in my opinion, never has a General Election been more appropriate.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the public cannot trust ANY political party and ANY politician to deliver on their words, given we've been told time and again what it is they think we want to hear, only to have that conveniently forgotten about the second the election cycle is over. And using the absolute tit show that is British politics in 2022 as an example, I think this observation is true of most of us.

We deserve to have our say, and we deserve to be listened to. We don't deserve to be expected to be grateful for scraps, or who gamble with our futures and very nearly lose us the pensions we have spent our entire working lives accumulating all so their hedge-fund banker friends can profit from our misery. We deserve a Government we can trust - and right now, it doesn't appear we can trust any one of them.

• Heart
Reactions: 24
I'm "only" 29 and freely admit I know very little about politics, so I'm aware this is probably very close-minded of me, but in my opinion, never has a General Election been more appropriate.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the public cannot trust ANY political party and ANY politician to deliver on their words, given we've been told time and again what it is they think we want to hear, only to have that conveniently forgotten about the second the election cycle is over. And using the absolute tit show that is British politics in 2022 as an example, I think this observation is true of most of us.

We deserve to have our say, and we deserve to be listened to. We don't deserve to be expected to be grateful for scraps, or who gamble with our futures and very nearly lose us the pensions we have spent our entire working lives accumulating all so their hedge-fund banker friends can profit from our misery. We deserve a Government we can trust - and right now, it doesn't appear we can trust any one of them.
I wouldn’t fully trust any of the political parties, but i would trust labour, Lib Dem, green etc way more than conservatives.
Im sick of our country being ruined by policies we didn’t even vote for. What is the point of manifestos if you don’t stick to them?

Reactions: 23
When I listen to people who have been around politicians they say they're all as bad as each other, and once they get on the gravy train, they forget what they stood for before, and what we elected them for.
They usually advise me to vote for an independent, as if you vote for someone in the main parties they have to toe the party line.
An independent stands and falls on what they say alone.

Reactions: 7
When I listen to people who have been around politicians they say they're all as bad as each other, and once they get on the gravy train, they forget what they stood for before, and what we elected them for.
They usually advise me to vote for an independent, as if you vote for someone in the main parties they have to toe the party line.
An independent stands and falls on what they say alone.
The problem is there are many financial gate keeping measures which lowers how many independents can stand. I get why that's in place (after seeing a local affluent nutter try and get elected) but it is depressing when you remember that they have to toe the party line.

Reactions: 4
I think I've buried my head in the sand a little. I didn't realise quite how much the prices where going up in my area as it seems to be a lot higher than the average! Electric has gone from 27.06p a unit to 51.7p plus the 53p standing charges

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I think I've buried my head in the sand a little. I didn't realise quite how much the prices where going up in my area as it seems to be a lot higher than the average! Electric has gone from 27.06p a unit to 51.7p plus the 53p standing charges
Are you sure? No energy company should be charging more than 34p per kw of electricity. That is the cap. Standing charges do vary though.

Not trying to be pedantic btw. Some energy companies dont seem to have updated their rates yet.

My son still lives at home. Lucky because he is on a zero hour contract and has now had 5 weeks with no work. How someone living away from home is meant to survive on these type of contracts is beyond me.

He has just come ask asked if he needs to pay more rent due to all the stuff going on despite not having earned! I love my baby ❤
I thought they had made zero hours illegal? I have been thier before having my daugther, it was the reason i left my old job, no way was i going to not know what i was earning with a child and rent even with my husband working full time.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Are you sure? No energy company should be charging more than 34p per kw of electricity. That is the cap. Standing charges do vary though.

Not trying to be pedantic btw. Some energy companies dont seem to have updated their rates yet.
Maybe it's an errorr, wouldn't surprise me. I'm sure when I did the mse calculator it was only a 19% raise for south west

Had a look on twitter and it was an issue with eon.next, it's all back to the prices it should be...phew!

Last edited:
  • Heart
I thought they had made zero hours illegal? I have been thier before having my daugther, it was the reason i left my old job, no way was i going to not know what i was earning with a child and rent even with my husband working full time.
They are not illegal and are appropriate in some areas, though a lot of employers still use them so they don't have to give guaranteed contracts. It's not illegal though as far as I know

Reactions: 4
They are not illegal and are appropriate in some areas, though a lot of employers still use them so they don't have to give guaranteed contracts. It's not illegal though as far as I know
I remember them being in the news years ago. Maybe i thought thet had scrapped them altogether.

For agency / casual work they are needed but still rubbish

They were complaining here on the radio that the energy providers said people need to take more effort to save gas, and that we are currently using pinto 15% more than on average during end of September and early October.
Well, it was chilly here the last two weeks! We haven’t yet put the heating on, as we have still over 20 degrees in all rooms, but if it dips lower than that, it goes on as it isn’t comfortable. I can’t blame people putting it on, we are just lucky to have very good insulation and triple-glazed windows that trap the heat. Luckily they say the temperature will go up to 21 degrees with loads of sunshine in the next week, which should mean less heating necessary and a free warming up of the house. In our last flat, we’d have been freezing already and damp as well. That place had zero insulation and we had water running down windows during autumn and winter. I’m really grateful we moved here.

Yel

That's the pound back to the pre "mini-budget" levels vs the Euro, only down 1 cent vs USD (which is strong against every currency in europe), but that's with the BoE printing money gilt buying

1664795078947.png

Reactions: 8
I think they'll be sold on with tenants. I know people who have got really involved in buy to let - all on interest only and they've kept remortgaging to buy more. One "owns" 14 properties, but all they hold is debt that they've added to and not paid off during such low interest rates. I think most will be fine apart from the really greedy ones. They'll say what big fans of capitalism they are, but failure is part of capitalism.

Also tax changes with stamp duty and how much interest can be used to offset started coming in years ago. So not many would have bought at the peak.

The whole buy to let thing should have never been allowed to get this out of control. A ponzi scheme that's caused so many issues.

It's on the most part not wealthy people buying up properly, it's people who were lucky enough to buy a house at the right time. They then remortgage this to buy another. Repeat repeat repeat. It's the definition of a pyramid scheme. Borrowing money to gamble. All while thinking they're savvy investors.

They'll bemoan that stocks are too risky 🤪, so they literally expect an investment that is guaranteed to make money. Homes under the hammer and Phil&Kirsty have a lot to answer for. No wonder the UK is so unproductive with house prices affecting everything.
I finally got through the video, it's interesting. Mortgages and rent hoover up everything, it must affect the economy as everyone has less for everything else.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.