Discontent #8 food, energy, transport, cost of living, society etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I followed tattlers advice and tried ocado on the £20 off over £60 voucher. Some things were definitely more expensive but as a coeliac some of the gluten free stuff was on offer so cheaper (and access to the M&S free from range on home delivery was a bonus!) Waiting for my delivery tonight before giving my full verdict 😁

• Heart
Reactions: 11

Yel

Those long range weather forecasts that are very inaccurate are apparently saying a degree lower this winter. So expect a record low winter 😬

For households seeing how long they can hold off turning on the central heating, there may finally be some relief. An early forecast for this winter has found that it should be milder than usual, which could save homes and businesses millions of pounds. It would also reduce the cost of the government’s energy price freeze.

Despite the government promising to hold typical annual energy bills to £2,500 and paying households £400 in instalments, winter temperatures will be a key decider in what people pay.

According to Christopher O’Reilly at the University of Reading, a 1C below average winter temperature equates to an extra overall cost of £1 billion, based on the October price cap for gas. Even a fall of 0.5C means energy bills go up by £500 million. “The numbers are pretty big, and the stakes are pretty high,” he said.

Fortunately, his outlook for winter, to be published by the university’s Department of Meteorology, suggests a relatively mild season ahead.

Reactions: 10
thank you everyone who mentioned oodies, mine arrived today and i cant believe how warm it is

• Heart
Reactions: 9
thank you everyone who mentioned oodies, mine arrived today and i cant believe how warm it is
Got ours a few days ago (not proper oodies but amazon cheaper versions) - very warm and fluffy, all thanks to cracking advice on ths thread. Really benefitting from them already. 👍

Reactions: 4
We have been lucky and not had to put the heating on yet. It's a bit chilly first thing but the house soon warms up.
I am really worried about inflation as I think the government are only going to make things worse.
Every time I go out prices have gone up. I paid £9 for a baby jumper from Sainsburys today. £9! Its so small. I think I will take it back and stick to Vinted. But if everyone does that, the economy will tank even more 😩

Reactions: 7
I followed tattlers advice and tried ocado on the £20 off over £60 voucher. Some things were definitely more expensive but as a coeliac some of the gluten free stuff was on offer so cheaper (and access to the M&S free from range on home delivery was a bonus!) Waiting for my delivery tonight before giving my full verdict 😁
I used this voucher and also got another one after, I think it was £15 off a £60 shop

Reactions: 1
We have been lucky and not had to put the heating on yet. It's a bit chilly first thing but the house soon warms up.
I am really worried about inflation as I think the government are only going to make things worse.
Every time I go out prices have gone up. I paid £9 for a baby jumper from Sainsburys today. £9! Its so small. I think I will take it back and stick to Vinted. But if everyone does that, the economy will tank even more 😩
In a way, you actually want the economy to tank. That's the only way to really lower inflation. The less people buy, go out etc, companies will have no choice but to lower prices or close. It's bad but just the way it works. That's why they raise interest rates too, to intentionally cause a recession to try and get prices to drop.

Reactions: 5
When I'm listening to all these pundits the general consensus is that it is going to tank mid January triggering an election.

Reactions: 5
In a way, you actually want the economy to tank. That's the only way to really lower inflation. The less people buy, go out etc, companies will have no choice but to lower prices or close. It's bad but just the way it works. That's why they raise interest rates too, to intentionally cause a recession to try and get prices to drop.
That's interesting, thank you for explaining. I am pretty good with politics but economics is really hard for me to wrap my head around.

When I'm listening to all these pundits the general consensus is that it is going to tank mid January triggering an election.
There has to be one before 2024 surely. This is such a huge departure from the 2019 manifesto.

Reactions: 2

Yel

One really good thing about ocado is you can add stuff on offer to your basket and they seem to honour the offer price even months later.

I find online food orders so tedious that I often give up. But when I need it (Sundays!) It's nice to go back and complete an order with today's deals and the offers from months back.

One really good thing about ocado is you can add stuff on offer to your basket and they seem to honour the offer price even months later.

I find online food orders so tedious that I often give up. But when I need it (Sundays!) It's nice to go back and complete an order with today's deals and the offers from months back.
That is really good and unusual too.
One great thing I noticed is that I can put a flag of gluten free and it flags absolutely everything that contains it so I don't spend forever clicking on each item and checking it's ingredients. (Sorry to keep going on about being gluten free but it makes shopping a bit of a task cause it's in blooming everything 😂)

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Just had my quarterly electricity bill and it’s gone from £190 to £600!

A friend of mine phoned her supplier to complain about her 100% price rise and got it down to 20% so definitely worth a shot.

• Wow
Reactions: 10
That is really good and unusual too.
One great thing I noticed is that I can put a flag of gluten free and it flags absolutely everything that contains it so I don't spend forever clicking on each item and checking it's ingredients. (Sorry to keep going on about being gluten free but it makes shopping a bit of a task cause it's in blooming everything 😂)
You can put a filter on at Sainsbury’s for gluten free and celiac

Okay so a few weeks ago
On here I was singing the new Asda apps praises ! I loved it in 4 weeks I had got like £31 in rewards!!
que now and tbh I’m thinking it was a all a big ploy to get you to register your details and since then 6 weeks or so later I’ve amassed a grand total of £1.50!!!!!!!!!!!!

I’ve noticed the incentives and rewards are next to none now ….. can’t help but feel it was just so they can try & monitor you 😬😬😬😬😬
If I don’t see significant discounts then im
Going to unsubscribe sadly

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
Okay so a few weeks ago
On here I was singing the new Asda apps praises ! I loved it in 4 weeks I had got like £31 in rewards!!
que now and tbh I’m thinking it was a all a big ploy to get you to register your details and since then 6 weeks or so later I’ve amassed a grand total of £1.50!!!!!!!!!!!!

I’ve noticed the incentives and rewards are next to none now ….. can’t help but feel it was just so they can try & monitor you 😬😬😬😬😬
If I don’t see significant discounts then im
Going to unsubscribe sadly
Yeah I feel the same... I think I'm going to cash out and cancel

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.