Discontent #8 food, energy, transport, cost of living, society etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
We have a liberal government in Canada and Trudeau is absolutely shite. We are in a similar state to the Uk albeit not quite as dire yet.
I don't think it matters what party you have. We've had almost a decade of Trudeau and in a shambles. I think and hope the Conservatives get in next election. They are gaining popularity as people are bleeping fed up with all of the taxes Trudeau has added. We have a carbon tax so we are taxed for heating our home or cooking with gas. It's a joke.

Reactions: 9
We have a liberal government in Canada and Trudeau is absolutely shite. We are in a similar state to the Uk albeit not quite as dire yet.
I don't think it matters what party you have. We've had almost a decade of Trudeau and in a shambles. I think and hope the Conservatives get in next election. They are gaining popularity as people are bleeping fed up with all of the taxes Trudeau has added. We have a carbon tax so we are taxed for heating our home or cooking with gas. It's a joke.
Thanks for this, although I’m obviously sad for Canada I’m feeling a little better as my ex who is Canadian keeps on that we will have a better life in Canada and everything is wonderful.

• Haha
Reactions: 1
I finally got through the video, it's interesting. Mortgages and rent hoover up everything, it must affect the economy as everyone has less for everything else.
Less and less people have any disposable income and it is killing small businesses. Some simply cannot afford to give a raise to their employees but a LOT of them refuse to give the profit back to the same loyal employees during the good days.

I work with small businesses on a daily and the difference in terms of profit between last year and this one is night and day. The money given during 2020 really helped a lot of businesses to stay afloat. However, many raised their prices instead of giving some of it back to their employees.

You'd be shocked to see the amount of business who made record profits in 2020-2021 but decided to fire their employees. One lady was complaining about her shipping costs (less than 5k) even though she makes over 250k per month. The greed of a few is causing major consequences to majority of the population globally.

Reactions: 12
I’m sorry if this is a dumb question but is the warm home discount only going to be available to those on certain pensions?
I see you also have to be deemed a high usage household. Wtf are they playing at?

Less and less people have any disposable income and it is killing small businesses. Some simply cannot afford to give a raise to their employees but a LOT of them refuse to give the profit back to the same loyal employees during the good days.

I work with small businesses on a daily and the difference in terms of profit between last year and this one is night and day. The money given during 2020 really helped a lot of businesses to stay afloat. However, many raised their prices instead of giving some of it back to their employees.

You'd be shocked to see the amount of business who made record profits in 2020-2021 but decided to fire their employees. One lady was complaining about her shipping costs (less than 5k) even though she makes over 250k per month. The greed of a few is causing major consequences to majority of the population globally.
I work for a small business and the pandemics were the best years they ever had. It's dropped massively since - but you are correct, they fired some staff during the pandemic!

Reactions: 7
Some of the small businesses near me really got on my tits in the past few years.

There was one that asked for unpaid volunteers to deliver orders to customers. They also set up a go fund me to expand their store. It's a business not a charity! Act like one! Really put me off shopping there.

• Wow
Reactions: 15
A lot of companies received grants for their businesses during covid when they weren’t entitled to them! We are now paying for all those grants now 🙄 you can guarantee it will be those that received £10,000 in error that will still be complaining now 🙄

Don't get me started on all the companies who got loans at almost 0% interest rates and got rid of their older workers.

Now, they are refusing to hire new workers for higher wages because "they have to make a profit too". I love helping small businesses but sometimes it drives me crazy when I see how much they make in comparison to their workers' wages.

Reactions: 7
I’m sorry if this is a dumb question but is the warm home discount only going to be available to those on certain pensions?
I see you also have to be deemed a high usage household. Wtf are they playing at?
It's if you get the guarantee element of pension credit, it's automatically given out for the core group.
For the broader group it looks like it's on sqm and age of your house as well as being on tax credits, uc, jsa etc

For UC eligibility dates:
  • To be eligible for the second payment, families must have been entitled to a payment (or later found to be entitled to a payment) of either:
    • Universal Credit for an assessment period that ended in the period 26 August to 25 September
    • income-based JSA, income-related ESA, Income Support or Pension Credit for any day in the period 26 August 2022 to 25 September 2022.

I had an asda delivery yesterday evening, out of 42 items there was 20 substitutions/out of stocks. I ordered strawberries and Raspberries for my kids, didn't even substitute them didn't have any fruit at all!!!

Went down to morrisons today to get the fruit I didn't get delivered and it was extortionate!!!! Last week it was two punnets of rapberries or strawberries for 3.50 today it was £4!!!! My kids eat that in about 2 days!

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
I think all governments and all parties are just run by the elites …try and give the illusion of voting when in reality they’re all the same , nothing good ever happens to the country , austerity cuts are always always worse every party that comes in, common sense actions never happen …it’s comical how bad the decision making has been in the last 40 years ….things seem to get worse never better!!! Which to me screams a bigger longer agenda and plan …nothing happens by chance !!!! And this is not me with a tin foil hat ….no denying that the tit show of the world right now has not all been predicted by “critical thinkers” 🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️

Reactions: 11
Finally found something for my perpetually cold feet:
I have cozy slippers, but even with them I have cold feet from sitting at a desk. The solution are two very small grain pillows (wheat pillows) that I microwave and can put in with the shoes. Toasty warm feet!

Generally I love grain pillows, they can easily be made for basically no money at all and retain heat a long time. I like them a lot better than hot water bottles, they seem to be more common around here as well. Either grains or cherry pits (clean of course).

I had an asda delivery yesterday evening, out of 42 items there was 20 substitutions/out of stocks. I ordered strawberries and Raspberries for my kids, didn't even substitute them didn't have any fruit at all!!!

Went down to morrisons today to get the fruit I didn't get delivered and it was extortionate!!!! Last week it was two punnets of rapberries or strawberries for 3.50 today it was £4!!!! My kids eat that in about 2 days!
I've stopped shopping at Morrisons because of the prices and moved to Aldi/Lidl. I know there have been wholesale price rises on everything but Morrisons do seem to have taken them to the extreme end. I've got a suspicion that their take over by a private equity firm has something to do with it, as when one of those get involved the first thing they do is shift their debt onto the taken-over comapniy's books, so Morrisons are probably looking at huge interest payments plus returns to their owners.

I've stopped shopping at Morrisons because of the prices and moved to Aldi/Lidl. I know there have been wholesale price rises on everything but Morrisons do seem to have taken them to the extreme end. I've got a suspicion that their take over by a private equity firm has something to do with it, as when one of those get involved the first thing they do is shift their debt onto the taken-over comapniy's books, so Morrisons are probably looking at huge interest payments plus returns to their owners.
I only go in morrisons now if I really need something and its the closest option! I noticed alot of things has gone up in prices when I was in there today, not for the first time. Every time I go in I seem to walk around in a bit of shock at what I'm seeing 😂

Reactions: 4
You are correct.

Reactions: 2
Seasonal produce is cheaper. So this month the seasonal fruits are apples, blackberries and pears

Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.