Discontent #8 food, energy, transport, cost of living, society etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
As someone who has asthma and other respiratory problems it's so difficult because I can keep my entire body warm with my blanket hoodie, thermal tops, trousers and socks but the bitter cold air without any heating really plays havoc with my lungs.

It's just not fun...

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 21
My concern going forward is drying big items like towels and bedding and hoping the house doesn’t get damp.
Do an extra spin
I haven’t got the heating on yet as it’s been okay the past couple of days. However, I just washed some hoodies yesterday and they are taking forever to dry, even on a heated airer :unsure: I can’t hang them outside as I have have asthma and people are burning leaves etc in gardens this weekend, the smoke smell gets into the clothes. Think I will have to put the heating on from tomorrow.
If you stick a sheet over the top it helps a bit

Reactions: 3
I haven’t got the heating on yet as it’s been okay the past couple of days. However, I just washed some hoodies yesterday and they are taking forever to dry, even on a heated airer :unsure: I can’t hang them outside as I have have asthma and people are burning leaves etc in gardens this weekend, the smoke smell gets into the clothes. Think I will have to put the heating on from tomorrow.
Do you have a cover for your heated airer? I have the Lakeland one with heated cover and it makes all the difference. I can do a full load and it will all dry on the airer within 7-8 hours max.

• Wow
Reactions: 4
My son still lives at home. Lucky because he is on a zero hour contract and has now had 5 weeks with no work. How someone living away from home is meant to survive on these type of contracts is beyond me.

He has just come ask asked if he needs to pay more rent due to all the stuff going on despite not having earned! I love my baby ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 20
I’m determined to keep the heating off as long as we can manage

I’m pulling plugs from sockets when not in use, using our mini oven and slow cooking the tit out of everything we’re eating.

Did a meter reading today from my last one 28th September and they’ve (Scottish Power) charged me £16 for elec and £4.66 for the gas.

My concern going forward is drying big items like towels and bedding and hoping the house doesn’t get damp.
I was wondering if it would be cheaper to dry my washing at a launderette if they have massive dryers but I haven't used a launderette for years.
p.s. I have seen people posting that they are drying their washing in them plastic greenhouses or under pergolas and using dehumidifiers.
Here it is:-
Mum shares genius way she dries her washing without a tumble dryer & she doesn’t have annoying racks inside either https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/fa...dium=sharebar_native&utm_campaign=sharebaramp

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
I was wondering if it would be cheaper to dry my washing at a launderette if they have massive dryers but I haven't used a launderette for years.
I’ve been looking at this too , I’m guessing it won’t be cheaper but at least we’d know exactly how much we’re spending.

I’ve been looking at this too , I’m guessing it won’t be cheaper but at least we’d know exactly how much we’re spending.
I've changed to winter duvets this weekend and usually wash and dry the summer ones before storing but I've decided to take them to the laundrette and do one big load.
Problem atm is that I've always laundered the kit for the football team my husband captains. I'd feel like an arse asking for money but it often takes more than one wash (stinky 🤢).

I've changed to winter duvets this weekend and usually wash and dry the summer ones before storing but I've decided to take them to the laundrette and do one big load.
Problem atm is that I've always laundered the kit for the football team my husband captains. I'd feel like an arse asking for money but it often takes more than one wash (stinky 🤢).
Nah, you’d not be an arse for requesting some payment. Either that or they start washing their own kit because you are a Saint!

• Heart
Reactions: 8
An example of a ridiculous rise in a house price over the years. This is a 4 bedroom detached house in a nice area of the town it’s in, the town though isn’t particularly nice, you’d need to travel 5-6 miles out of it to be in a posh area. It’s a ridiculous amount of money for what the property is and the postcode of course.

Attachments

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 16
I feel lucky that where I live it's a very dry climate so laundry air dries very quickly. A lot different than where I lived in the Uk where things could take days!

Think I might have said this before on these threads, but if you have enough space it's so worth getting an extra clothes horse so you can space things out more - hang each item over two of the bars instead of just one and they'll dry so much quicker and not smell of damp.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Think I might have said this before on these threads, but if you have enough space it's so worth getting an extra clothes horse so you can space things out more - hang each item over two of the bars instead of just one and they'll dry so much quicker and not smell of damp.
I did buy an extra one , maybe because of your suggestion 😍 and in the milder weather we’ve recently had my washing dried quickly. I’m a cautious sort and won’t line dry outside in case of rain .

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I've probably asked about this before, so apologies if I'm repeating myself, has anyone heard anything about the warm home discount this year? I'm with eon next and nothing on their website but I'm sure it's usually before now/around now I've applied in previous years

Also, worrying because the second cost of living payment date hasn't been confirmed yet

I've probably asked about this before, so apologies if I'm repeating myself, has anyone heard anything about the warm home discount this year? I'm with eon next and nothing on their website but I'm sure it's usually before now/around now I've applied in previous years

Also, worrying because the second cost of living payment date hasn't been confirmed yet
I asked the other week and they said to check Oct/Nov

Reactions: 3
My son still lives at home. Lucky because he is on a zero hour contract and has now had 5 weeks with no work. How someone living away from home is meant to survive on these type of contracts is beyond me.

He has just come ask asked if he needs to pay more rent due to all the stuff going on despite not having earned! I love my baby ❤
I’m sure they would look for a second job..
Can he not do that?

I know British Gas have said it’s being delayed this year but don’t give theirs out until January - March anyway.

They have also changed who’s eligible.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
p.s. I have seen people posting that they are drying their washing in them plastic greenhouses or under pergolas and using dehumidifiers.
Here it is:-
Mum shares genius way she dries her washing without a tumble dryer & she doesn’t have annoying racks inside either https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/fa...dium=sharebar_native&utm_campaign=sharebaramp
Iv just caved and ordered a tumble dryer. I've been doing this for weeks and its taking over 24hrs to dry my clothes. I did a wash yesterday around 10am. Put the dehumidifier on which was on all day and night till about 10pm. Woke up this morning, clothes were still damp. And that was on a 1600 spin washing machine. It was stressing me out that I was literally doing washing over 2 days whereas with a tumble, i can get them washed, dried, ironed & put away in a day.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
People wondering how so many still eat out or get takeaway, something occurred to me: through my new job I got an Edenred card, which is essentially a meal allowance on a plastic card. Wasn’t familiar with the concept before and checked where they are accepting them and it seems it’s mostly the medium price restaurants and smaller cafés, etc. The type where you probably wouldn’t go everyday just for a meal out. After getting that card thing and seeing that three major employers minimally seem to distribute them here, I think that many customers of those places may in fact just be people with that card, to use their budget. Maybe they wouldn’t have gone at all in the first place without it. I’m admittedly planning to use mine for the occasional nice meal out as well.

I’m sure they would look for a second job..
Can he not do that?
He is. The first couple of weeks he just slacked has he hadn't taken any leave for a year.

His out goings are minimal obviously would be different if he had rent/bills elsewhere. He pays me 20% (most of it goes into an ISA for him if I can ever turf him out) he has no interest in driving and is happy to walk/bus to where he needs to go or if out with mates offer them petrol fare. He doesn't drink much! or smoke. He's not interested in fashion, trainers are trainers and he doesn't care to pay £100s for them when a normal pair will do.

Just thought it was a decent adult thing for him to make sure we were doing OK with all the financial stuff hitting the fan.

Reactions: 18
Not sure if this has been mentioned because I struggle to keep up with this thread but on channel 5 in the UK at 9pm tonight there is a programme on called 'The winter of discontent 1978'. I think it's comparing today's cost of living crisis with that of 1978.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Not sure if this has been mentioned because I struggle to keep up with this thread but on channel 5 in the UK at 9pm tonight there is a programme on called 'The winter of discontent 1978'. I think it's comparing today's cost of living crisis with that of 1978.
I'm watching that now. I was born in the early 90's, so not a time I know loads about.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.