Discontent #8 food, energy, transport, cost of living, society etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve put mine on tonight. Thankfully and luckily in quite a large credit and still on last years tariff. I’ve seen the news today with Putin and his threats again and thought did it, if I run up a huge bill I’ll call my utility company and do a Liz and just say it was Putins fault.

I have to joke otherwise I’ll cry and have a panic attack.

Reactions: 7
I wouldn't be able to sleep if mine was running downstairs. Although I do love coming back after a full day out and emptying 2 litres of water down the drain. So satisfying.

Reactions: 5
My heating clicked on Mon/Tues/Weds morning but I have changed the settings a bit as it was coming on about 6.30 but Im finding once Im up and moving I dont really need it so Ive changed it for now. Its also went up a few degrees outside today and yesterday so thats probably helped.

I think in the past I have had heating blazing without a second thought as it was affordable 😂 now I am thinking about it.

Its been absolutely miserable all day, pissing down and can feel a real change in the feel of it. If that makes sense.

Reactions: 6
I like mine on as it’s like white noise
We had two which were both bought from car boots and were sooooo loud. Also probably unsafe now I think about it.
I was gleeful to leave them behind when we moved.

I wouldn't be able to sleep if mine was running downstairs. Although I do love coming back after a full day out and emptying 2 litres of water down the drain. So satisfying.
If you have any houseplants use it to water them!

I’ve put mine on tonight. Thankfully and luckily in quite a large credit and still on last years tariff. I’ve seen the news today with Putin and his threats again and thought did it, if I run up a huge bill I’ll call my utility company and do a Liz and just say it was Putins fault.

I have to joke otherwise I’ll cry and have a panic attack.
I have a four month old baby and so will have to keep the house fairly warm for her. I am finding it hard not to use the tumble dryer at the moment as she obviously poops, drools, and sicks on everything. I can't stress about it and just have to say we will pay it all off eventually 😩

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I’ve put mine on tonight. Thankfully and luckily in quite a large credit and still on last years tariff. I’ve seen the news today with Putin
We had two which were both bought from car boots and were sooooo loud. Also probably unsafe now I think about it.
I was gleeful to leave them behind when we moved.

If you have any houseplants use it to water them!

I have a four month old baby and so will have to keep the house fairly warm for her. I am finding it hard not to use the tumble dryer at the moment as she obviously poops, drools, and sicks on everything. I can't stress about it and just have to say we will pay it all off eventually 😩
I have to use the tumble dryer too, my son has bad asthma and I can’t dry his stuff indoors as we already have damp and mould that just keeps coming back. even in the summer I had to use the dryer because the pollen irritates him.

Needed a shower this morning but had no hot water so put the hit water on for 15 mins to enough hot water to wash my hair...that 15 mins is showing as costing 50p on the smart meter.

Struggling to dry my washing without using my tumble dryer already and its literally only the 1st October.

I think we are in for a long hard winter.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 8
Needed a shower this morning but had no hot water so put the hit water on for 15 mins to enough hot water to wash my hair...that 15 mins is showing as costing 50p on the smart meter.

Struggling to dry my washing without using my tumble dryer already and its literally only the 1st October.

I think we are in for a long hard winter.
Getting my washing dried is driving me nuts! I've been putting less in the dryer and using a shorter cycle and trying to get the rest dried on the radiators but it's not easy when the heating is only on for a bit. I really need to buy a new clothes horse, I've been without one cos my daughter broke my mums one so I gave her mine as a replacement.

Reactions: 3
Getting my washing dried is driving me nuts! I've been putting less in the dryer and using a shorter cycle and trying to get the rest dried on the radiators but it's not easy when the heating is only on for a bit. I really need to buy a new clothes horse, I've been without one cos my daughter broke my mums one so I gave her mine as a replacement.
I've been putting it outside untill the rain came the last few days so its on a clothes horse inside now. The washing i did yesterday is only partially dry.

I have two young children so I usually have to do a load of washing a day or it gets out of control. Its going to have to be every other day now so I have time to dry it!! Saving the tumble dryer for bedding and towels once a week.

Its just the amount I'm having to think about it, I used to just do it with no thought at all. Now even just having clean dry clothes is something that I'm having to plan out and waste so much mental energy on. Its exhausting

Reactions: 7
I've been putting it outside untill the rain came the last few days so its on a clothes horse inside now. The washing i did yesterday is only partially dry.

I have two young children so I usually have to do a load of washing a day or it gets out of control. Its going to have to be every other day now so I have time to dry it!! Saving the tumble dryer for bedding and towels once a week.

Its just the amount I'm having to think about it, I used to just do it with no thought at all. Now even just having clean dry clothes is something that I'm having to plan out and waste so much mental energy on. Its exhausting
I’ve been putting mine on the line in the late morning when the sun hits it, then moving inside to the dehumidifier in the evening, or earlier if rain starts. I put the heating on for an hour just to kick start the drying indoors.

A bit of light relief
I saw this years ago on a Channel 4 programme (think it was called Home of the Future) which had 3D printers, robots, spray on clothes etc.
Maybe we won't have much washing in the future 🤔

I’ve been putting mine on the line in the late morning when the sun hits it, then moving inside to the dehumidifier in the evening, or earlier if rain starts. I put the heating on for an hour just to kick start the drying indoors.
My garden already has no sun 😔 my towels I washed yesterday are almost dry, forgot to do an extra spin on them. Need to stick them outside as it's looking dry today

• Sad
Reactions: 2
Just incase anyones getting desperate… least with no heating there will be no heating bills #everycloud

C04B6F66-5A2F-48C9-96FA-9A8D5BCE320E.jpeg
9AEA0A6E-8694-4414-B848-B3E952295E84.jpeg

• Haha
  • Sad
Do you put it on a high spin? I find that helps.

I got soaked on way home from work Friday as had pick the 4 year old up from after school club and she wanted hold the umbrella so caved and put heating on..
So glad my new job is weekly pay and husband pay day was end of month bit rather depressing we paid so many bills including childcare very little left.

I guess we must be top earning as hubby's salary gross is approx 48k and my new jobs is around just over 11k.
However during 2021 due to covid and non essential retail being shut meant when ut opened in April 2021after lockdown 3 it inflated demand and sales.
Some if his pay is basic but a lot is commission so montly salary is variable but exceeded 50k so jan tax return have pay some of my child benefit back if we say bitb earned 40k each we wouldn't have pay it back.
Hes getting a pay cut in jan and expect if UK falls into recession he will sell less therefore earn less.
Think retail sectors in for a rocky ride.

The kids school bus fares gone up as they proudly proclaim single and return prices have dropped.
But weekly, monthly and day riders gone up.
No reward for loyalty and using the bus frequently.
They also cutting many bus routes meaning many have get 2 buses so will need a day rider which is £6 now.
The mayor is bringing in clean air zone in November so will cost 9 quid drive into the city centre.

We live in a mid terrace 3 bed with child number 4 in our room and 1 big bedroom split into 2 half's for the teenagers to not kill each other.
We brought for £237k we think its now worth £350k but can't afford a 4 bed same postcode looking at 400k plus.
Mortgage initially was 190k at 2.44% fixed 5 years however worried as we 4 years this Xmas so remortgage Dec 2023 God knows what interest rates be then possible will double.

Really need to do a big food shop and worried tesco have upped prices so much and own brand coco pops disappeared.
Its now cheaper on some items in Sainsbury’s so not sure split October food Budget between tesco/ Sainsbury’s/ Iceland/ aldis/ lilds and home bargains but its finding the time to do them all

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I’m determined to keep the heating off as long as we can manage

I’m pulling plugs from sockets when not in use, using our mini oven and slow cooking the tit out of everything we’re eating.

Did a meter reading today from my last one 28th September and they’ve (Scottish Power) charged me £16 for elec and £4.66 for the gas.

My concern going forward is drying big items like towels and bedding and hoping the house doesn’t get damp.

Reactions: 6
I haven’t got the heating on yet as it’s been okay the past couple of days. However, I just washed some hoodies yesterday and they are taking forever to dry, even on a heated airer :unsure: I can’t hang them outside as I have have asthma and people are burning leaves etc in gardens this weekend, the smoke smell gets into the clothes. Think I will have to put the heating on from tomorrow.

Reactions: 4
I'm managing to stick to £4 for heating atm though it has been coming on while we sleep.
So think I need to choose a diff target temp as dont want to wake up to the £4 already being used

• Sad
Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.