Discontent #7 food, energy, transport, cost of living, society etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have fingerless gloves in my drawer at work for typing in the winter and lots of the girls in the office have a pashmina on the back of their chair that they wrap around themselves when it's cold. Love looking like a victorian woman at my desk 🙄
That's my standard work attire 🤣

Found out today the boilers broken at work, can't get anyone in until they paid the trades for last time so timewarp hobo it is!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 8
Overhead in lidl they are bringing in limits on all items. No date but the area manager had told the staff at our local store

Overhead in lidl they are bringing in limits on all items. No date but the area manager had told the staff at our local store
Whilst some people do take the mic there are those genuinely shopping for larger or multiple families and this makes it harder. During lockdown I was often shopping for two households and grabbing extras for a third which meant multiple cartons of milk or loaves of bread wasn't as excessive as it looked at first glance. There are also people I know that do one big shop at the start of the month and then just grab fresh bits during the month like milk and bread.

Reactions: 13
At an old workplace of mine some colleagues would use space heaters under their desks to warm up! Felt like a minor fire risk if you left one on while on a lunch break 😬
This was an issue at our place last winter. I even had a heater on my lap at times😅

• Haha
Reactions: 1
Whilst some people do take the mic there are those genuinely shopping for larger or multiple families and this makes it harder. During lockdown I was often shopping for two households and grabbing extras for a third which meant multiple cartons of milk or loaves of bread wasn't as excessive as it looked at first glance. There are also people I know that do one big shop at the start of the month and then just grab fresh bits during the month like milk and bread.
Similar issue when tesco introduced a cap on items for online shops during lockdown. We are only a two person household but we would often get close to the limit because individual veg counted so 3 carrots was 3 items!

I felt really sorry for families as it would have been impossible to do a big shop

• Wow
Reactions: 9
Similar issue when tesco introduced a cap on items for online shops during lockdown. We are only a two person household but we would often get close to the limit because individual veg counted so 3 carrots was 3 items!

I felt really sorry for families as it would have been impossible to do a big shop
It’s stupid aswell because all that happens is it makes the lives of genuine people harder. People who take the piss will still do that (go around again, multiple shops, second shopper etc) but now big families or just someone who fancies god forbid more than 2 or something 🙃 will have to unfairly do the same. The minority spoiling it for the majority as per.

Reactions: 10
Yea I just thought I'd let people know. I can't remember if she said 3 or 6 of each item. She was saying they are really struggling with stock

That was silly wasn't it, we just went for prepacked instead

Reactions: 4
That was silly wasn't it, we just went for prepacked instead
That's what we did too. But I refused with onions as a prepacked 3pack is so much more expensive than 3 loose onions.

Reactions: 2
I’ve not seen any item caps online yet, in yesterday’s shop we got 2 of those 4 packs of beans fine.

I feel bad reading this as we’re only a house of 3 (well 4 atm but that’s temporary!) - but also from an environmental PoV I’d rather have some essentials in stock than have to drive to do a top up shop now we’re no longer in walking distance of one…? Like what would the environmental impact be of every large household doing an additional car journey to do big shop phase 2 be…

Reactions: 5

Family of 5 and it was a nightmare with the limits. Obviously we were all at home so needed everything plus I was vulnerable so going to the shops just wasn't an option and my H was working full time as normal (he works from home anyway) so we were relying on our deliveries. Add in that they took away lots of multipacks or larger packs that I'd normally have bought and it soon added up. Plus it was a struggle even to get the slots every week so sometimes we were going 10 days between deliveries. Scraping the barrel of the freezer those last few days 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I’ve not seen any item caps online yet, in yesterday’s shop we got 2 of those 4 packs of beans fine.

I feel bad reading this as we’re only a house of 3 (well 4 atm but that’s temporary!) - but also from an environmental PoV I’d rather have some essentials in stock than have to drive to do a top up shop now we’re no longer in walking distance of one…? Like what would the environmental impact be of every large household doing an additional car journey to do big shop phase 2 be…
I don't think it's for all shops. Unsure if it's all lidl or just in my local area.

Reactions: 1
Could someone please tell my body to stop acting as if it's sub-zero? I've been cold for days, but we have about 21°C everywhere, so there's no reason at all to feel cold, it's a perfectly good room temperature. I'm sitting here with tea and an extra cardigan, which is normally winter attire for me and I still can't seem to get warm. I don't want to switch on the heating if it's clearly my body being stupid rather than actually cold.

Reactions: 13
I mentioned before that i'd bought some cheap Bamboo Socks to try as heard there good to keep feet warm.
And now its been chilly i've had chance to try them, and they are good I was surprised as they are so thin but i'm a fan.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Could someone please tell my body to stop acting as if it's sub-zero? I've been cold for days, but we have about 21°C everywhere, so there's no reason at all to feel cold, it's a perfectly good room temperature. I'm sitting here with tea and an extra cardigan, which is normally winter attire for me and I still can't seem to get warm. I don't want to switch on the heating if it's clearly my body being stupid rather than actually cold.
I'm the same, I think we just need to get used to it as the temperature dropped rather quickly this year

• Heart
It happens with some medical conditions and it's due to the core being prioritized over the peripheries.

I would suggest fuzzy socks. a thick blanket, fingerless gloves and thermal clothing if you don't want to put the heating on.

I bought my sister these ones:

• Heart
I’ve been to countries like Spain in September and have been wearing summer clothes while the Spanish are wearing hoodies and jeans. I think that’s what is happening here, we have been used to such a lovely summer that the slight dip in temperatures is a bit of a shock

Reactions: 9
The primark fleece lined leggings are absolutely amazing - I buy a few pairs every winter and they are literally the warmest things ever.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.