Discontent #7 food, energy, transport, cost of living, society etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Welcome to the new thread.

Quick note this is generally a supportive and informative thread rather than one to argue. If you want to talk more about about politics, migration, covid jabs, Boris Johnson etc then they each have their own separate threads.

Thanks!

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Im seriously hoping there is some ready made mega plan that will be announced next week with the new PM, then they can come in on a blaze of glory and do their PR saving big announcement that the price cap won’t be going up and this will all just be a bad memory
🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞 call me naive or a conspiracy theorist, I’m just holding on to the last shred of hope!

Like lots of people on this thread I’m so worried about people on fixed or very low incomes, who will suffer physical and mental health issues as a result… but even people who can afford the new bills will be diverting money from other ‘luxuries’ to pay it, those ‘luxuries’ usually pay someone else’s wages and every pound we spend pays a good chunk to the tax man in VAT, business rates, employee income tax etc. There’s needs to be some kind of universal solution

Reactions: 29
Ordered myself an Oodie in the sale after the recommendations on the last thread, seriously hoping this will help with not putting the heating on in Winter. I'm also looking for affordable thermal socks if anyone knows any good places to look for these?

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I bought my sister these ones from M&S:

They also have thermal leggings and a top too which are lightweight and wash well.

There’s also Uniqlo too.

Reactions: 2
What does everyone generally have their thermostat set to for their heating to kick in? My bf thinks we should have it set so that if it drops below 15 in the house the heating will kick in, but I generally quite like the cold and would easily let it drop much lower than that before feeling like I need the heating on. We barely even used the heating last year because I just tend to layer up or get a blanket 🤷‍♀️ He's the total opposite though and wants it to be really warm all the time!

• Wow
What does everyone generally have their thermostat set to for their heating to kick in? My bf thinks we should have it set so that if it drops below 15 in the house the heating will kick in, but I generally quite like the cold and would easily let it drop much lower than that before feeling like I need the heating on. We barely even used the heating last year because I just tend to layer up or get a blanket 🤷‍♀️ He's the total opposite though and wants it to be really warm all the time!
We have ours on 12 but even then i prefer it off, It only really on for about an hour at bed time, i dont see the point when im home alone in the day.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I always think we have it bad at the moment, but then I look towards Pakistan and other developing countries suffering from awful natural disasters, then I have to remember things could be so much worse. No doubt it will be bad though, especially for those who don't have much money to feed their families.

Reactions: 19
The prices of thermals etc will go up because sellers know more people will be buying them. Price gouging, like when people were paying 100s for hand gel at the start of the pandemic.

Reactions: 6
It's set to come on if the temp drops below 14 in the day and 9 at night ( but that rarely happens)
On time It's to come on at 17 and goes off at 19, although we might adjust this if we are cold.

My control panel is wireless do I just move it to a cooler/ hotter area as I need it rather than changing the settings.

I like these socks that have a tog rating. I've bought a few pairs from this shop https://www.tofs.com on the high street before.

Amazon product
I've used these with my eldest who goes to forest school. Excellent for keeping cosy although I did find they didn't wash as well as I liked. Although that could be down to my poor housekeeping 🙄

My heating failed in the flat I was renting one year over Christmas. The room temperature got down to roughly 10C and *that* was really cold.

This winter I'm planning to set the thermostat at 18C. If it falls below that then the heating will kick in. However we do have young children with one quite prone to suffering with chest infections as we're finding out 😖 So it may go back up to 19C but will wait and see.

Reactions: 5
16 over night and 20/21 when we're home

Those estimates last week about energy prices of £5k+ are now not true as the gas price is falling from the peak (yet again). But who knows when it'll spike next or how much it'll fall this time

UK Natural Gas (-28.5%)
1661854101158.png

Mine will be set to 15 during the day. Turned up to 17 for an hour in the morning and a couple of hours in the evening. During the night it’s ‘off’ which is think is about 7c. This stays the same regardless as to whether I’m working from home or not. I don’t turn the heating up just to warm myself up sitting in my office. I would rather use a hot water bottle, more clothes.
I hate that central heating thick hot air

Mine will be set to 15 during the day. Turned up to 17 for an hour in the morning and a couple of hours in the evening. During the night it’s ‘off’ which is think is about 7c. This stays the same regardless as to whether I’m working from home or not. I don’t turn the heating up just to warm myself up sitting in my office. I would rather use a hot water bottle, more clothes.
I hate that central heating thick hot air
Me too! I find it so uncomfortable and always feel like I get a scratchy throat and stuffy nose when the heating is on too much!

I've always got a hot water bottle on the go in winter, and a thick cardi or jumper normally does the job for me but like I say, I do much prefer the cold anyway so I understand for people who don't deal well with the cold that wouldn't be enough

I usually have ours set at 18 degrees in the day time but have just bought hive smart valves for the radiators.

It will mean I will have much greater control over the radiators individually and the bedrooms can be off most of the time quick boost in the morning before the kids get up and before they go to bed.

Reactions: 1
Just been to Morrisons for the first time in 5 weeks, my budget did not stretch far! Spent the entire time looking at things and saying how much?! £1.55 now for 4 pints of milk. I have 4 kids so it costs me £9.30 a week just for milk, going to have to cut down there too 😔
There was none of my cats usual food and almost all Morrisons own brand stuff was on the lowest shelf, practically on the floor so now my knackered knees are hurting from constantly crouching down.
I’m sticking to Aldi from now on.

We usually have heating on mid October depending on how soon the cold weather comes. We’ll have it on an hour in morning, and 3 hrs at night then off. We use blankets on bed and when working from home i get by with slippers and lap blanket. I can’t have it on too high or all day as it sets off my asthma. I just need warmth, but if it’s too hot that causes me issues.

Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.