Discontent #5 food, energy, transport, cost of living etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Theyve been able to keep benefits for single young adults even lower by only allowing the single room housing costs for under 35s which is absurd.

Youre right though benefits should be enough for everyone to live regardless of your circumstances :(
We are nearly at the end of our Electric, as we are on prepay meter so added before price change to keep old rates.
So i'm interested to see what the new rate works out as.
I'm on a electric key meter, I haven't noticed any change from this time last year.
Of course winter is always much more expensive, depending on how cold it is. I am expecting the £400 to cover the rise, but we are just a family of 2. Obviously bigger households will use more than we do.

Reactions: 3
I went to farm foods yesterday for the first time in around 6 months and the price increase there seems to be the highest of all the supermarkets I’ve been to. We used to get the 3 bags of chicken nugget/goujons for £10 and something like £3.50 separately, they’re now £4.99 a bag and 3 for £13. Birdseye dippers were (I think) £4.50, don’t think I’ve ever paid more than £3 in Morrisons.
I did however get 4 packs of Boursin at 19p each so it’s not all bad 😄

• Heart
Reactions: 5
So got my renewal through for energy
Currently £1900 a year for both
Variable will be £4500
Fixed will be £6500

I don’t know what to do , Martin Lewis on this morning yesterday said will be going up 65% in October and then again next April so variable will go up anyway …just confuses the hell out of me!
Any advice welcome xx

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 17
So got my renewal through for energy
Currently £1900 a year for both
Variable will be £4500
Fixed will be £6500

I don’t know what to do , Martin Lewis on this morning yesterday said will be going up 65% in October and then again next April so variable will go up anyway …just confuses the hell out of me!
Any advice welcome xx
You need to look at price per unit and then work out on your current usage what itl be at 65% increase and then what itl be for the predicted increase in April.

For now I dont think there any many fixed rates out there which are looking to be a better deal but you really need to get into the nitty gritty of it.

Reactions: 2
My postman claims to have delivered an item (ebay tracking says delivered) but it's not here, not over the gate, no sorry you were out card, nothing!

I think Royal Mail really need to see that they are not keeping up with demand.

My postman claims to have delivered an item (ebay tracking says delivered) but it's not here, not over the gate, no sorry you were out card, nothing!

If you put the tracking number into the RM website or app sometimes there’s a geolocation so you can tell which neighbour has it

Reactions: 1

Have you tried your bins? Evri are always leaving things in our bins. I don't mind if it's the recycling ones so much but the black one...just why? 😒

• Wow
Have you tried your bins? Evri are always leaving things in our bins. I don't mind if it's the recycling ones so much but the black one...just why? 😒
I checked green bin, nothing. It was something that should have come in a tiny jiffy bag so should have gone through the letter box.

If you put the tracking number into the RM website or app sometimes there’s a geolocation so you can tell which neighbour has it
Ah, I'll take a look, thanks

On another note, I went food shopping today, I saw another item that was 50p more than it was last week. 😮

• Wow
I checked green bin, nothing. It was something that should have come in a tiny jiffy bag so should have gone through the letter box.

Ah, I'll take a look, thanks

On another note, I went food shopping today, I saw another item that was 50p more than it was last week. 😮
Check all bins. I’ve just moved house and it’s annoying but I guess good if I’m not in - they put them in any bin, behind the bins or throw them over the fence! One time I only knew something got delivered as I got an email with a picture of where it was, I was in my house and never heard anyone knock!

Inside the barbecue or tucked amongst plants.? Some posties are imaginative with their hiding places.

• Haha
  • Wow
I think I'm going to speak too soon... But my gas and electricity has somehow gone down. Was paying £80 (+ £19.50 for debt) and last week, they wanted £220. I then asked for it to go back to what it was because I can't afford that increase.

I've got a bit of spare cash so paid £100 off my bill. Got an email this morning and it's £64 a month.

I think I'm going to speak too soon... But my gas and electricity has somehow gone down. Was paying £80 (+ £19.50 for debt) and last week, they wanted £220. I then asked for it to go back to what it was because I can't afford that increase.

I've got a bit of spare cash so paid £100 off my bill. Got an email this morning and it's £64 a month.
I’ve done my meter readings this morning (I make sure I input them monthly for accurate bills) and my DD gone down too.

this happened to my daughter, it was delivered to a completely different address in a completely different city! Thankfully they retrieved it by courier and she got it the next day!

• Wow
This is how bad inflation is in Ireland. For almost 5€ you only get 2 chicken skewers and a tiny bit of sauce on the side:
16585031823603463559492117282030.jpg

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 6
There was a money saving person on the radio saying yo sushi is good because children can eat for free 🤦‍♀️. That hardly computes because an adult has to spend to get that "freebie"

And unless you're one of the competitive under eaters (like on Mumsnet that claims the portions are huge and they're absolutely stuffed after 3 plates and 6 bits of sushi) an adult needs to spend at least £25 on the cheapest stuff for even a small meal.

• Wow
Reactions: 15
Diesel down to 188.9 in my remote corner of Scotland, from a high of 200.9, and I just heard on the news as I was driving into town that Russia and Ukraine have signed a deal to get wheat exports restarted, which is fantastic news.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Diesel down to 188.9 in my remote corner of Scotland, from a high of 200.9, and I just heard on the news as I was driving into town that Russia and Ukraine have signed a deal to get wheat exports restarted, which is fantastic news.
Yes thats such a relief for the whole world 🌎.
I don't thick uk gets that much wheat from Ukraine just oil.

Managed to do end term teachers gifts quite cheaply.
So glad its a bit cooler today we even had some rain.
Those queues at Dover and national emergency lol horrific those poor hgv drivers wonder if this cause delay in supermarket deliveries.

A few shops locally had to waste melted chocolate this week .
We on grocery shop run down until pay day.
So maybe few creative meals on the weekend.
Spent small fortune on soft drinks this week.

I'm wondering what to do about August food shop
Last 3months I only been buying reduced meat to try and lower fresh cost so can spend more on long life grocery.
Also with fruit and veg been willing shop every other day and find reduced or offers knowing we can use it quickly as find the full price fruit and veg not lasting as long as it used to.
A few months ago I would bulk buy meat aldi and batch cook like 20 meals.
As I'm returning to work possibly in August really I need to decide if next week taking a hit on meat and mass batch cook for August into Sept.

Have the dreaded school uniform shopping to do too.
Have quite a few big bills coming up August and thought ok less outgoings but now I have £60 dbs check fund myself before start job and childcare membership fees for holiday provision and after school.

My shop changes completely for the school hols. I'm not sure yet if its more or less, tend to have jacket pots, tortilla pizza or soup for lunch. I think I may spend less as its the pre portioned things for lunch boxes that usually push up the bill.

Have pre booked the clarks outlet for school shoes (even though it's hell on earth). Today at school huge trestle table full of lost property, school said claim what's yours or it goes in the clothing bank. I don't know why they don't sell it on for a nominal fee, the branded jackets are so dear, but then I do like them to look neat as a pin for the new school year (lasts approx a day😄).

Luckily both me and hub are hybrid working now so no outlay for holiday clubs. Have some annual leave booked, quite a few animal rescues close that charge a nominal fee, free museums etc so lucky in that respect.

What did you get the teachers @fireflies ?. I was quite pleased to get some swanky note books less than half price 💁‍♀️.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.