Discontent #5 food, energy, transport, cost of living etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
One part is raw ingredients going up in price, definitely, but another one is simply price gouging. They see inflation amd increase prices not to keep in line with that % but by way more.
I think hard to tell between raised issues due to supply and opportunism.
Although I guess increased diesel costs and energy increases cost of food items across the board as margins are squeezed.

77% return in Royal Mail Group strike ballot. 97% yes for striking
Would people notice much if royal mail went on strike? The only post I get is bills and for parcels people would switch to the handful of other services if there was a strike. I haven't been to a post office to collect anything for years as even stuff that needs a signature tends to get deposited somewhere in the front garden.

Reactions: 6
Would people notice much if royal mail went on strike? The only post I get is bills and for parcels people would switch to the handful of other services if there was a strike. I haven't been to a post office to collect anything for years as even stuff that needs a signature tends to get deposited somewhere in the front garden.
I buy admittedly too much stuff on ebay so my postie delivers something every week, but all my bills etc are now paperless, and actually, I've noticed more ebay sellers using Hermes/Evri. I think people should be paid fairly but I can also see demand for Royal Mail falling.

Reactions: 3
My dehumidifier generates heat so it hasn’t been on. I think you need an air conditioner to actually cool.
Thanks I think I need both but can't afford to buy air con until autumn.
Was hoping air conditioning be cheaper out of season.

My 16 year old is puzzled as her contact says adult min wage i said keep quiet thier mistake.
Always felt it was wrong young workers get paid less and exploited by employers.

Husband had pay meeting today no rises inline with inflation so that in effect is pay cut.
But removal Sunday overtime rates and reduced commission we estimate we £300, worse off from January.
My new job pay a little over minimum wage but will need pay some childcare make it work.
We just can't seem to catch a break as have big tax bill this year and Jan will have pay % child benefit back so kids don't always get you more money.
Child benefit is only thing we get.
We higher rate tax and paying more NI since April.

My earnings combined with husbands reduced earnings mean we no better off its just frustrating but we do what we do and doubtful he ever exceed limit again was only because non essential opened up April and sales were condensed into 1 tax year pretty much.
With recession around corner I'm not sure not essential retail sales will be down.

We will do what we can to prepare for jan and feb as be really low pay months hopefully get lots bargains December although reductions are few and far between these days and competitive.

I know there's plenty worse off and can see why people are striking and worried about winter .
We always pragmatic we have saying it is what it its and we say we will cope and try yo convey positiveness.

quite jealous people off on holiday that's another thing we cut this year.
I thought maybe next year but really not so sure.
Therss just no meat on the bone.
I anticipate interest rates and inflation continuing to rise into 2023 and our fixed 5 years ends in December 2023 and have feeling interest rates could be 3_4% by then and uk officially in recession.
I do hope media are exaggerating over black out risks.

I think Germany is nervous about gas as maintenance on nordsteam 1 pipe line is due to end on Thursday but Russia could change their mind.
Because gas is global it will raise prices for UK too we don't rely much on Russian gas but we get quite a bit from Norway.

Reactions: 1
Well youre probably right cause I get v little through RM but shares would likely fall and as its privately owned I guess the owners might care. Who knows.

77% return in Royal Mail Group strike ballot. 97% yes for striking.

I definitely think more and more employees will go down this route. I think for years employees have not wanted to rock the boat as ultimately with cost of living staying low theyve been able to manage and their lifestyles have stayed the same. Now with inflation shooting up without a decent wage rise people will not be able to pay bills.

My union is PCS and our ballots have a notoriously low turnout, the last one we had I think the return was about 46% but we need 50% of members to return ballots to even think about considering any action
Not surprised. It’s been so, so grim for them over the pandemic and there are constant staffing shortages (at least here, east London) that just mean their workload snowballs as they’re told to prioritise packages over letters, so when they finally deliver mail it’s a week or two at a time so even harder than normal.

I don’t understand why they’re experiencing shortages though, does anyone know please? I always got the impression it was a great job with benefits/probably a decent pension?

Good on workers for striking though!

Reactions: 2
Not surprised. It’s been so, so grim for them over the pandemic and there are constant staffing shortages (at least here, east London) that just mean their workload snowballs as they’re told to prioritise packages over letters, so when they finally deliver mail it’s a week or two at a time so even harder than normal.

I don’t understand why they’re experiencing shortages though, does anyone know please? I always got the impression it was a great job with benefits/probably a decent pension?

Im really not sure. I guess natural attrition and unable to fill the roles? I think previously it was a good job with ok pay. I only found out recently that RM and The Post Office are two completely separate entities.

A facebook acquaintance is a postie and had posted a lot about this. I guess they may be trying to change conditions aswell.

I work for the Civil Service and they offered us a pay deal about 5/6 years ago but it meant being moved to a new contract which didnt matter to me because my contract was recent and had all the conditions in it anyway. However quite a lot of people in my office stuck it out and didnt take it. They didnt want to work beyond 5pm or Saturdays which I guess is fair enough but now have had their wage bumped up anyway as it was too low to meet NMW 🤯

• Wow
Im really not sure. I guess natural attrition and unable to fill the roles? I think previously it was a good job with ok pay. I only found out recently that RM and The Post Office are two completely separate entities.

A facebook acquaintance is a postie and had posted a lot about this. I guess they may be trying to change conditions aswell.

I work for the Civil Service and they offered us a pay deal about 5/6 years ago but it meant being moved to a new contract which didnt matter to me because my contract was recent and had all the conditions in it anyway. However quite a lot of people in my office stuck it out and didnt take it. They didnt want to work beyond 5pm or Saturdays which I guess is fair enough but now have had their wage bumped up anyway as it was too low to meet NMW 🤯
It feels ridiculous considering the ecomm boom they’ve not changed shift patterns, or even vehicles… they’re still driving those tiny vans around, I can’t imagine they’re getting more than a few streets’ parcels in them at a time?

+ yeah, that’s what I can’t understand why they’re not attracting new people to the role? I know there was some level of online assessment with applications cos years ago a friend did it for his older brother, not sure if it’s still like that now, but surely with so many courier services and a whole Amazon there must be tons of willing and capable people?!

ETA - most of my parcels come via the royal mail! And hospital appt bookings are via Royal Mail too so v important they continue imo!

I think they mostly rely on agency temps now, don't they? We've got no postie vacancies advertised in Northamptonshire and the depot in Northampton mainly seem to be looking for cleaners or temp sorters.

During 2020 and 2021 they worked hard with covid tests.
Seldom have regular postman these days I think most must be agency.
The always have xmas temps jobs going.
In the past I used to deliver a local community magazine for extra money it was quite hard work being out in all weathers.
I have love hate with private couriers some are truly awful for daughter's birthday gifts got delivered to local corner shop as was cheaper.

Its nearly exam results time gsces and a levels and all of school mail is sent via royal mail .
Also do dvla and passport office send via rm too as lots of people moaning huge delays with those

I guess half the industry in uk will all be striking
Don't know where the government think all these agency staff will come from .
Schools really struggle her supply and the NHS dangerously under staffed.

I have a friend who is a postie, I think the issue is that bosses want them to work Sundays/evenings. If most are like my friend she took the job as the hours worked around family commitments.

Its a double headed coin really, I agree they worked hard in lockdown and it must be galling to be told RM can't afford a raise when shareholders get decent payouts. But then with out the share holders they're ripe for a take over, assets stripped, zero hours contracts 😕.

People are so used to the Amazon model of get it almost instantly now, so I guess they need to change to compete. RM deliver for Amazon too I'm told, also all the postal voting etc.

Reactions: 7
Not surprised. It’s been so, so grim for them over the pandemic and there are constant staffing shortages (at least here, east London) that just mean their workload snowballs as they’re told to prioritise packages over letters, so when they finally deliver mail it’s a week or two at a time so even harder than normal. There’s lots of overtime if you want it.

My father says it’s changed from when he first started working for them. They absorbed a lot of the old walks and added them on to your normal route so you do have overtime which is not included. It’s 5+ hours in the heat at the moment which is tough. Problems stem with the “fire and rehire” plan, an investigation into missing postal deadlines and staff shortages as usual.

My father does one day a week now and has done so for the past 8 or 9 years. They had issues with lots of people taking time off with covid. Stamp fraud was a huge issue but they’ve got the barcodes now. They’re still in profit. Think it was £600 million + the last time I checked .

They have a share scheme. My father bought lots at reduced prices and just kept buying each week. They get two dividends twice a year. They also paid a special this year too. Opting in was optional though.

The pension is relatively okay - my father just got his first lump payment.

You also get two free sheets of 1st class stamps every christmas. Clothing which includes shoes, water bottles, hats for summer, winter fleeces and rain coats.

I think it’s a company everyone will always need and they are updating even if it’s slowly, such as parcel collect and sunday delivery.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6
I think it’s a company everyone will always need and they are updating even if it’s slowly.
I really value RM to be honest, my parents are nearly 80, never been on the Internet let alone banked online.

Having their bills through the mail gives them a bit of independence. A bit of purpose (you can set your watch by my dad going in to town to pay his bills.)

There's a whole section of society being pushed to the fringes because they're not tech savvy (paying an extra £5 on their phone bill because not DD).

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Well youre probably right cause I get v little through RM but shares would likely fall and as its privately owned I guess the owners might care. Who knows.
The price has fallen from their peak of £5.90 this year and they’re currently around £2.80 each, since being downgrade by J.p. morgan. They’ve upped the divided payout to 7.8%. Their largest shareholder is the same billionaire who also has the largest stake in Sainsbury’s.

I'm surprised there's still postal deliveries 6 days a week. That must be at risk of being reduced?

I'm surprised there's still postal deliveries 6 days a week. That must be at risk of being reduced?
Atm it’s every week or two here 😳

Idk how they could afford to rejig their service as they must only see any real margin on the first class parcels / guaranteed by x delivery stuff..? But I’d be happy with letters twice a week & parcels once a week, really. Nothing is *that* urgent? Even with buying a house the tightest deadline to return signed forms we’ve had has been two weeks! But appreciate there will always be instances where it’s more urgently needed.

I think it's still 6 days a week here, my home workspace has a great view of some bushes that the postman often has a piss in 😵💫

A strike feels like it'll cause even more people that use their services to go elsewhere. It's been so expensive to post parcels and wastes time queueing. When you can print off a label and use many of the other services for way less money and effort.

I'd be happy with letters twice a week. I only don't have online billing because I've had issues in the past needing bills and the online ones not being acceptable.

• Wow
Reactions: 8
We are nearly at the end of our Electric, as we are on prepay meter so added before price change to keep old rates.
So i'm interested to see what the new rate works out as.

• Heart
Royal mail are also giving a special rate to workers on overtime at the moment. Not sure if it's just office specific .

Insider info lol 🤪 .

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.