Discontent #5 food, energy, transport, cost of living etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
A fair amount will vary, maybe 5 packets. But taking 2 cases is taking the piss, unless you are collecting for the foodbank. If you want to buy in bulk like that, go to costco, don't wipe out the stock at your local supermarket.
But there 2 cases is 24 packs which isnt that many, not to mention not everyone can get costco memberships.

For me a fair amount would depend on how long it'll last you. Like for example I buy 4 crates of drink at a time but they only last til the next shop, wheras someone else might buy 4 but it'd last a year.
So who has the fair amount, me who drinks more & will buy more in that year. Or the person who's drinks are sat in the house all year waiting to be drunk?

Reactions: 8
But there 2 cases is 24 packs which isnt that many, not to mention not everyone can get costco memberships.

For me a fair amount would depend on how long it'll last you. Like for example I buy 4 crates of drink at a time but they only last til the next shop, wheras someone else might buy 4 but it'd last a year.
So who has the fair amount, me who drinks more & will buy more in that year. Or the person who's drinks are sat in the house all year waiting to be drunk?
The problem is, if you space it out it wouldn't be an issue as supply chains can catch up. But when you take cases of one item in one swoop, it causes a temporary shortage. It is also incredibly selfish as due to that, others will have to go without.

I agree, I should've said that people in First world countries (with access to free education and contraception) should limit their families to no more than 2 children. Of course, there are exceptions due to multiples and rape/abuse etc. But for the majority of women in first world countries who do decide to have more than 2 children, this is a choice.

A fair amount will vary, maybe 5 packets. But taking 2 cases is taking the piss, unless you are collecting for the foodbank. If you want to buy in bulk like that, go to costco, don't wipe out the stock at your local supermarket.
Sigh so much of this is still problematic and a very Eurocentric view. First world 😬 The implication that the choice to have a large family means you’re uneducated is… pretty vile? There are religious and cultural reasons people choose large families, it’s disrespectful to suggest that the minute they meet your arbitrary threshold of educated enough they’ll abandon tradition? Tbh I hate the ~get educated~ line as it’s sneering and oftentimes classist but maybe some reading around this may be beneficial to you? Now finally out xo

• Heart
  • Sick
Reactions: 10
The problem is, if you space it out it wouldn't be an issue as supply chains can catch up. But when you take cases of one item in one swoop, it causes a temporary shortage. It is also incredibly selfish as due to that, others will have to go without.
surely its more selfish to buy food & not eat it at all, than aiming this at people who bulk buy as theres so many reasons why they do it.

Sigh so much of this is still problematic and a very Eurocentric view. First world 😬 The implication that the choice to have a large family means you’re uneducated is… pretty vile? There are religious and cultural reasons people choose large families, it’s disrespectful to suggest that the minute they meet your arbitrary threshold of educated enough they’ll abandon tradition? Tbh I hate the ~get educated~ line as it’s sneering and oftentimes classist but maybe some reading around this may be beneficial to you? Now finally out xo
Generally people who are religious, tend to be less educated, yes. They also tend to have larger families. I know you're very defensive because you don't like my views on overpopulation as you come from a large family, which means you are unable to think rationally and in an objective manner about this, which is why you throw out emotive terms like "eugenics" and classist". You are being defensive and grasping straws and gaslighting because you know everything I have said is right, and it makes you very uncomfortable.

• Sick
  • Wow
Reactions: 6
It's an interesting debate.

When my other half moved in I had 16 tins of baked beans. He was like o_O Basically I just added a tin every time I shopped without thinking about it. Not planned and didn't mean to have that many.

I wouldn't buy 16 tins in one hit.

When lockdown happened we ended up short of everything because we were stupid and tried to shop as usual. We generally make 2 loaves a week. But ended up with no yeast, flour, milk or eggs. In the end i brought dried eggs and milk to get through.

I live with an Italian and there was no pasta either.

The papers ranted about shortages and shops didn't ration until they were out of stock of most stuff.

I won't make that mistake again. If there are shortages people will do exactly the same again. I don't want to be stuck in the same situation as before.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I think its a catch 22. People stocking up in order be ok when the shortages come which it turns adds to shortages.

Reactions: 2
When my other half moved in I had 16 tins of baked beans. He was like o_O Basically I just added a tin every time I shopped without thinking about it. Not planned and didn't mean to have that many.

I wouldn't buy 16 tins in one hit.
this is a really valid point, i think a lot of people stockpile without meaning to because of those items you just naturally pick up when you’re shopping. like you say, you’ll see the beans, wonder if you have any and just throw them into the trolley without any real thought. i used to end up with lots of dried pasta for the same reason! it’s just an item where i’m like oh i suppose i need some of that, every time 🤣

it causes a huge catch 22, as said above, and the media doesn’t help. it was something i never worried about at the start of the pandemic but there was so much news of empty shelves! no bread! etc that i think it made everyone think wait should we be stockpiling too?! it just circles back around.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
I think that particular poster is a prepper.
I come from a family of 7 and my parents never shopped in bulk, and we managed well enough. And this was in the '70s when inflation was rampant. As for having 4 freezers, we only had one tiny one on top of the fridge.
I do wonder if some people are taking this cost of living crisis a little bit too OTT.
I relate to this so much.

My parents never bought things in bulk (family of 5) and we always had enough at home.

2020 probably scared a lot of people and the fact that life is so unpredictable now isn't helping.

24 packs of noodles could easily be finished within a week if you have teenagers.

Reactions: 3
Anyway best to move on from that topic.

Heinz stuff is back in Tesco after their deal and it's around 10% cheaper than every other supermarket, many of whom are showing that they've price locked it at the higher price.

I wonder what exactly the deal was and if Tesco will keep selling it at a lower price to the others.

Screenshot_20220719-105917_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220719-105813_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220719-105902_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220719-105841_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: 8
Anyone get the free school meal vouchers? Have they halved how much it is? Just had ours through

I know a lot of people say they have dehumidifier.
The weather issued with heatwave in the UK 🇬🇧. Is our weather is more humid.
Does anyone with dehumidifier find their rooms are cooler this week?

I was focused on getting ready for winter but with ever hot summer being part of our future thinking ahead to next summer and items I can pick up black Friday or winter sales such as remote air conditioning unit .

Thats a bonkers price for ketchup.
Haven't brought heinz in years.
Maybe thats why tesco decided to discontinued them although thought they were owned by kraft so if they withdrew other products in craft range like philadephia or Cadbury it could get awquard.
For past few years been buying lilds or aldi I have ketchup but kids get through 2 bottles a month and lidls own brand batts been out of stock for months.
I assume some condiments going up because they contain oil? Which has gone up.
As read about mustard being high priced.

Reactions: 4
Anyone get the free school meal vouchers? Have they halved how much it is? Just had ours through
I got £60 for one of my children. Not sure if thats the same as last year *think its less then last summer

I know a lot of people say they have dehumidifier.
The weather issued with heatwave in the UK 🇬🇧. Is our weather is more humid.
Does anyone with dehumidifier find their rooms are cooler this week?
My dehumidifier generates heat so it hasn’t been on. I think you need an air conditioner to actually cool.

Reactions: 1
assume some condiments going up because they contain oil?
One part is raw ingredients going up in price, definitely, but another one is simply price gouging. They see inflation amd increase prices not to keep in line with that % but by way more.

Reactions: 2
On the news today they mentioned that some in our government proposed to raise the child benefits because of the increase in food costs. Really got me the wrong way, it's once again not seeing that many people without children are already struggling. We are child free by choice, many people are. I'm not saying that they should hand over the money now, we are doing well for now, but I see a tendency that child-free adults get to pay for more and more but get less and less support.

Same news they also mentioned that several energy suppliers report lower gas usage (not the car stuff, natural gas), which would be a good thing if it stayed that way for the winter. They also said that there were reports of people showering warm or hot less often. I do hope that we aren't yet at a point where people have to choose between hygiene and food due to cost. Sure, you can wash cold, but I'm pretty sure that if for some reason an apartment suddenly had no hot running water you can reduce your rent quite significantly. If it's becoming a necessity to no longer use hot water, that's a whole new dimension. Maybe it's also people trying to actually save resources, that would be welcome, sure. Some people use ridiculous amounts of energy and water, might have gotten their wake-up call.

Reactions: 18
77% return in Royal Mail Group strike ballot. 97% yes for striking.

I definitely think more and more employees will go down this route. I think for years employees have not wanted to rock the boat as ultimately with cost of living staying low theyve been able to manage and their lifestyles have stayed the same. Now with inflation shooting up without a decent wage rise people will not be able to pay bills.

My union is PCS and our ballots have a notoriously low turnout, the last one we had I think the return was about 46% but we need 50% of members to return ballots to even think about considering any action

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Child free adults for a long time have been the ones most likely to slip through the net. Unemployment benefits really don't cover enough and are only livable if you have children and can get top ups. Does feel like a kick in the teeth and you're not deemed important enough unless you have children. Benefits should be enough so single people can have an existance and those with children can afford to feed them during school holidays.

I do hope that we aren't yet at a point where people have to choose between hygiene and food due to cost.
I do agree although at the same time people in other countries without the amenities we have in the west seem to have a higher hygiene standard than many over here. Some of my ex flatmates would have 3 long showers a day 🤯

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Child free adults for a long time have been the ones most likely to slip through the net. Unemployment benefits really don't cover enough and are only livable if you have children and can get top ups. Does feel like a kick in the teeth and you're not deemed important enough unless you have children. Benefits should be enough so single people can have an existance and those with children can afford to feed them during school holidays.

I do agree although at the same time people in other countries without the amenities we have in the west seem to have a higher hygiene standard than many over here. Some of my ex flatmates would have 3 long showers a day 🤯
Theyve been able to keep benefits for single young adults even lower by only allowing the single room housing costs for under 35s which is absurd.

Youre right though benefits should be enough for everyone to live regardless of your circumstances :(

Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.