Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Caffeine Fiend

VIP Member
I dunno about anyone else but it makes me really sad when I read about the changes people are being forced to make. I know things like Netflix/Disney+ are considered a luxury, but it just seems absolutely ridiculous to me that people are having to give up a £7.99 subscription just to ensure they have enough to pay for food and energy bills. In 2022 it feels really sad that people literally have so little left at the end of the month they can't even afford themselves small little luxuries :(
Absolutely, its a great stick for the media to bash people with. Used to be smoking/wide screen tvs.

Tv license costs more than say Netflix but thats never mentioned that people should give that up 🙄

Seems to be that if youre struggling to make ends meet you should have no joys in life, nothing enjoyable at all and live a shit basic existance.

I dont want to hear about the 70s and how people lived on nothing but porridge oats and candle light. Its 50 years on, people in work should be able to live life with a few luxuries/home comforts. Especially when most family homes have 2 working adults. Not just one wage coming in.

• Heart
Reactions: 34

chapterthree

Unpopular opinion but this extra payment doesn’t solve anything. We need to fix the crisis full stop rather than giving out money. It is a little plaster over the top of a pouring bucket.

• Heart
Reactions: 33

WilmaHun

VIP Member
I dunno about anyone else but it makes me really sad when I read about the changes people are being forced to make. I know things like Netflix/Disney+ are considered a luxury, but it just seems absolutely ridiculous to me that people are having to give up a £7.99 subscription just to ensure they have enough to pay for food and energy bills. In 2022 it feels really sad that people literally have so little left at the end of the month they can't even afford themselves small little luxuries :(

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 28

teabob

I have cried. When I saw that update I broke down. I cannot stretch any further
I cried when it was confirmed it was going up in April so you’re not alone:(

It all feels like a sick joke. I’ve been a single parent all my sons life and worked hard but have always had to budget very carefully and at times, scrimp and scrape. We’ve had a decent standard of living, I have a mortgage and nice car, we went good holidays but I don’t drink, smoke or eat out a lot so any disposable income went on that. He’s just turned 20 and just when I thought I would have a bit more financial freedom this happens and I’ll literally be working to pay bills with nothing left. I know there are people far worse off but it just makes you think what’s the point.
I work with service users who were entitled to the cost of living payment and squandered it. They don’t have to worry though because when they run out of gas and electricity, they get referred for an energy voucher, same when they run out of food , a referral for the food bank is done. These people are not worrying in my experience- someone else will foot the bill. Those of us who are on lower than the average income or even those who earn a good wage but have related higher outgoings and don’t qualify for support will struggle and it absolutely sucks

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 25

candyland_

VIP Member
I felt sad seeing a couple of old people put some things back on the shelf today as they said the prices had went up too much.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 23

pusheencat00

I don’t know if this post will be of help to anyone but I thought I’d post just in case. I’ve been living in an old static caravan (has single-glazing, is drafty because the door doesn’t hang straight, and has little to no insulation) and I’m just going into my third winter so thought I’d share the things I do during winter to cope with the cold. The van gets terribly cold in - I’m talking below 10 degrees with ice on the windows - it would’ve been extortionate even last year to heat to a comfortable temperature.

I’m not going to lie, it can be awful. But hopefully some of these tips help (ideally no-one would need them).

1. Use a window-vac or squeegee on windows with condensation in the morning. You might need to do it multiple times a day.
  2. Try to ventilate as best as you can (I know it’ll be cold) to prevent mould.
  3. If you can afford it, run a dehumidifier. I have two of the small ones with a 500ml/1l tank and they definitely make a difference in reducing the amount of condensation.
  4. I have an oodie (I didn’t pay full price but I know they’re still very expensive while on offer, I imagine cheaper versions are still good but I can’t vouch for them). This was a lifesaver in winter, it made such a difference. I was actually surprised just how effective it was. Trying to convince my partner to try one too.
  5. Try to only warm one room if possible.
  6. Leave taps dripping overnight to reduce chance of pipes freezing.
  7. Have lots and lots of blankets and warm socks. I swear by the ‘knock off’ heat holder socks, I think they’re sold as ‘thermal socks’ in places like B&M. Warm *and* comfy.
  8. Try fingerless gloves or touchscreen gloves. My hands ache when they’re cold so these really help me.

These may be all self-explanatory but I wanted to share nonetheless. I’m definitely hoping for a mild winter - the first winter I was here it dropped to -16!

• Heart
Reactions: 22

emmer_moans

VIP Member
Something is going to have to change soon surely? It’s disgusting how high the proportion of someones’ paypacket goes towards rent or mortgage, often leaving nothing left for emergencies or basic comforts. I’m thinking during this heatwave, I’ve already bought an extra fan because I can’t sleep in this heat, and have a handbag sized one to take with me to work, and I feel guilty about it. Some will not even be able to afford a fan. People will no doubt need to buy extra cold drinks when going about their day, to cope in this heat. Parents desperately buying water toys to help their kids cope in the heat. All unexpected extra costs, just to manage in difficult weather. It’s disgusting that we can work so many hours just for a massively overinflated chunk to go just on rent. We need disposable income in order to live.

• Heart

Anne1448

VIP Member
Books are the only category where I don't mind treating myself and hoarding.

I grew up dirt poor and books were my friends. It allowed me to escape to another world when everything around me was violent.

• Heart

HeyGuyth

Chatty Member
I thought about it but initial outlay and my council has strict rules on what you can burn 🔥.

Looked at bio ethanol fires but ads say they not suitable as main heat source just occasional use.

Also curious about oil radiators do they cost less than electric heater as they need plugging in and assume oil need refill.

wanted to buy electric blankets this summer.
already brought hot water bottles in the sale.

The issue we have is we use more electricity than gas.
Electricity costs more than gas.
Different areas of country have varying standing charges so electricity standing charge in Wales and South west is higher than London.

This month's been tough I wanted to start uniform shopping early spread the cost.
However I forgot that water bill was due we pay twice a year and prefer that as income variable so on low paid months helps to have less bills.
I did buy £40 2nd hand uniform for child 2 but child 3 and 4 start new schools this September so need go dreaded uniform shop and asda/ matalan find best generic stuff plus 3 new pairs of school shoes could set me back £150.

We just been sent a unexpected tax bill for 2k I don't understand we already paid £1300 tax at start of the year.
We only self assess for travel component millage might have pay accountant to look at it as makes no sense .

Worried about energy we currently pay £266 with octopus but they wanted £350 direct debit in April and we said no thats excessive.
We slowly into credit over summer but Martin Lewis saying we could be paying over 400 shocked me.
We with octopus and they really good company so reluctant to change but can't see a a way to fix with them .

I think 1 tyre needs replacing on car.
Car insurance due this month
Pet insurance next month we have a saving as no buses/ school dinners or breakfast club for the kids .
Not doing well paying down the credit card.

Now youngest starts school September been costing up childcare options as we really need the 2nd income.
Breakfast and after school club is £15 a day and holiday club around £20.

Teenager is moaning we not going on holiday most of her freinds and wealthy and all going abroad.
Shes just got herself a part time job although we still pay for phone, bus pass to school and school related expenses she pays for casual clothes and in 6th form she can wear what she likes.

We only run 1 car and even thats expensive.
Clean air zone being brought in autumn means £9 enter city centre we can't afford change to no newer non diesel car and sons new school is in the zone as are all the hospitals.
Just can't catch a break this year as hard as I try.

I really am shopping around to keep food costs down and do mix reductions/ offers/ magic bags.
I cook from scratch mostly.
Lilds constantly has no stock.
Aldi and morrisions gone up again
The one that shocked me most was Morrisions value pasta.
Value spagetti used be 20p and penne 29p.
Then aldi changed their up to 23p and 32p.
Morrisions hiked up to 30p and 45p.
I was fearful aldi would so same but they haven't.
I looked in big tesco and they reduced range pasta and saw no value pasta at all.
I did get exited to find cheap nooodles as they been missing off the shelves for ages and 12 year old doesn't like super noodles.
They were 29p each so got 2 whole cases.
I missed the tesco big shop in June so had not been since May and so much had gone up.
Only thing can think if that's stayed the same is squash maybe and bourban biscuits.
Also value choc still 30p bar tesco now 33p aldi and 36p morrisions.
I use to male rice krispie cakes as cheap snack.
I do 1 huge shop at tesco this year every month but missed June.
This month we spent £217 just in tesco i wouldn't do my whole entire shop in there but as large family its cheapest for soft drinks/ cheap biscuits/ cereals own brand and some dried pantry items and tins.
Some if frozen quite competitive fresh expensive.
Non foods with club card deals is quite competitive on nonfood example plastic plant pots and windows boxes cheaper than b&m.
The cashier must look at me strange with whole cases of noodles, biscuits/ 30 boxes cereals but I don't care.
My shop in cupboard under stairs is now full and I'm stockpiling some long life grocery and items that keep rising to keep food bills lower in autumn and winter.
The plan was drastically cut back over sept/ oct and nov and use money saved to pay the credit card.
We are overpaying council tax we usually pay over 10months but paying in 7 so by October when energy rise happens thats one less bill as have mot nov xmas then jan another tax bill as have to pay % child benefit back as exceeded earning threshold due to covid and non essential being shut and reopen April 2021 screwed us as sales were up that tax year
Jan and feb also fairly low paid months.
We usually buy as much reduced as we can dec and live in that in jan.

I did pick up a free freezer off market place so now have 4 freezer which sounds excessive but I can fill them all.

The grow my own project not super successful.
Must spent least £200 on veg plants as hardly any seeds took.
We have an allotment and we decide do container garden at back and waste of space front yard.
The containers are doing better than allotment veg.
We had good strawberry and redcurrant harvest but raspberries disappointing.
Something ahs ate all my spinach, a few lettuces and sweetcorn / squashes.
But my tomatoes are looking promising not ready yet.
We really have tried this year with growing but debatable see if saved much.
But I was working on possibility of shops being short on veg due to biometrics testing between uk and eu coming in which will slow down ports.

Buying clothes/ books and toys 2nd hand in jumble sales and charity shops
Hardly buy any brand new.

With 2nd income im seriously tempted get is private healthcare as almost impossible access a GP.
Luckily I stockpiled lft tests before they stopped the free ones so we ok in that respect.
Husband really needs some dental work we need to save more but seems impossible right now as we always in our overdraft.
Added it all up we £200 worse off since April per month possibly more with £70 energy rise and £50+national insurance plus rising fuel so probably not including fuel in that.
Struggling get dog the only food he likes at decent price.
I set £600 a month grocery budget for 6 people so £150 per week or 100 per person which works out £3.33 per day each for 3 meals snacks and drinks.
But that £600 also includes bathroom items, cleaning items and pet food so take those away its maybe £80 per person.
Annoyed I dode t stock pile deodorant as that's gone up.
We are eating more pasta and less meat.

Its frustrating try so hard and feel like getting now where.
Also takes so much time shop around and cook to try and get savings ib food how I will balance that with work not sure.
Might have do more regular batch cooking again.
Don't you think it's a bit selfish to buy two cases of noodles in one go? If a few people did that there would be no stock left. I'm all for people buying an extra item or two each week, but taking cases of one product is really selfish and typical of the "fuck you, got mine" and "I'm alright. jack" attitude that is so prevalent these days. Were you also hoarding all the toilet paper during the first lockdown?

I'm on a baking group on facebook, and a lot of the women there who make cake for a living always clear the shelves in aldi/lidl/home bargains of flour, sugar eggs etc and I just think it's really selfish. They would probably sell their nan for a bag of chocolate chips.

• Heart

Caffeine Fiend

VIP Member
I think so many people are living so close to the wire that there is zero they can do to prepare for it 🤷‍♀️

Hate to say it but if youve no cloth to cut what can you do? Worry about it? Whats that going to do.

• Heart
Reactions: 21

Yel

Chatty Member
All roads point towards the cost of housing imo. Labour and conservatives have done nothing to stop this spiralling out of control, if anything they've introducted props to keep it sky high. Leaving millions with no buffer to weather an economic storm while the buy to let parasites and financial services are the only ones to really gain while society is fucked over.

• Heart
Reactions: 21

Yel

Chatty Member
I think everyone thinks the government will have to step in and magic it all away.
I think the pandemic has really contributed to this. Stuff like furlough and bounceback loans was given away way too easily, untargeted and for too long. There's now a perception that the government will step in and give generous handouts again. Of course that can't happen as lots of us will be paying back the covid debt alone for the rest of our working lives.

Reactions: 20

no-no

VIP Member
This 100%!

Another school moan… daughter’s head has sent out a letter stating what can and cannot be put in packed lunches. Basically no crisps, crackers, biscuits, chocolate, sweets, dried fruit. They MUST take fresh fruit or yoghurt for dessert.

mine has 1 pack up this week, the rest of the time it’s school dinner. I’ve just spent nearly £10 for bits for 1 packed lunch (admittedly there’s leftovers, eg more yoghurts, leftover ham etc but I wouldn’t have bought them had she not had that packed lunch). I don’t send her with a unhealthy pack up, but she likes mini cheddars and they’re now banned

School dinners? Well they’re chuffin burgers, “wedges”, creamy pasta, chicken korma, stodgy puddings like chocolate muffin or arctic roll!
Who do these schools think they are, especially when they’re serving up carby crap. Heaven forbid a growing child has a pack of mini cheddars 😱 Do as I say…

Yel

Chatty Member
If people had of fixed when you could have done for 1800 a year they'd have been better off. But the overwhelming advice was don't do this. Which obviously was the wrong advice in hindsight.

Who knows what'll happen next. I'm not going to say it can't get any worse 😬

I want an easy life. All this switching your tarrif each year to not be ripped off, changing car insurance each year so you don't get ripped off etc gets exhausting.

• Sad

coconochanel

VIP Member
Why dont schools sell iron on/stitch on crests for the blazers/ jumpers that would be cheaper for the poor parents.

• Heart
Reactions: 19

Blonde_moment

Chatty Member
I think the biggest increase has to be energy bills for me. Dreading Autumn when they go up again. Other things have increased, but at a more manageable level.
My main concern is will costs ever drop back to the levels we had before? Or will this become the “new normal”? Am I likely to pay no more than £70 a month for energy again? Im just not sure…

Slothgang

Chatty Member
I hate seeing the security tags on the baby milk. Anyone stealing baby milk or buying stolen baby milk is obviously desperate 😔 its just so expensive

• Sad