Discontent #5 food, energy, transport, cost of living etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Fair share, who decides what's fair. I don't eat noodles often, so she can have my share.

Also I don't drink, so I will give up my share of drink, for someone's share of pizza.

We are talking about a few packs of noodles not someone's oxygen supply.
not sure how we decide whats fair, as depends how often you shop & also what other foods they eat.
For example I know some people who are autistic etc might only eat a few different foods. So there 'fair share' of say bread rolls would be higher than mine?

Best not say my shopping list has a 30pack of crisps just for me lol

• Haha
Reactions: 11
You know nothing about their circumstances. Ever heard of multiple births? Also, it’s none of your business.
Overpopulation is everyone's business. Multiple births are an exception, but I thought that would've been obvious.

I will say that, because I'm alright I'll have stocked up enough noodles and water to last me a lifetime.
Thought you didn't like noodles

• Angry
Reactions: 3
Overpopulation is everyone's business. Multiple births are an exception, but I thought that would've been obvious.

Thought you didn't like noodles
I don't, but noodles have a long shelf life, and if I'm starving I can't afford to be choosy.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
I bet the OP wishes she hadn't mentioned her two cases of noodles.
I might have missed it but where did she say she bought them all at once though? Does that also count at stores like Costco where everything is in larger quantities of 6, 12 etc anyway?

3-4 packets each shop over every time will still build up or you could just buy them direct from brands like Indome noodles which come in boxes of 40 packets. Free delivery when you spend something like £60.

How many noodle packets would the Radford family be allowed to buy?

Reactions: 5
We’ve gone from two cases of noodles to the peripheries of eugenics
That's a big leap. Don't throw out accusations of eugenics just because a certain topic makes you uncomfortable. Overpopulation and overconsumption is a serious issue. With what we know about climate change, not to mention finite resources, having more than 2 children is reckless and irresponsible.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 7
I might have missed it but where did she say she bought them all at once though? Does that also count at stores like Costco where everything is in larger quantities of 6, 12 etc anyway?

3-4 packets over every time will still build up or you could just buy them direct from brands like Indome noodles which come in boxes of for 40 packets.

How many noodle packets would the Radford family be allowed to buy?
I think she said that they were on offer, and something her kids liked, so she bought two cases.

Another poster said it was inconsiderate.

I think that particular poster is a prepper.
I come from a family of 7 and my parents never shopped in bulk, and we managed well enough. And this was in the '70s when inflation was rampant. As for having 4 freezers, we only had one tiny one on top of the fridge.
I do wonder if some people are taking this cost of living crisis a little bit too OTT.

Reactions: 9
I personally cant get worked up about someone buying food for their own family. If they were a reseller then maybe yes.

It makes sense to have extra food in for your family, especially the way things are going. It provides a buffer. It might sound selfish but no one is going to put your family over theirs- especially if they have kids crying at home. How many could really afford the food increases of 480% Lebanon has seen? Even in venezuela there was still food just that not everyone could afford to eat.

Think it was M&S’s boss who said we would have even higher prices after the summer.

Not to toot my own horn but I/ we have bought multiple items before to give them away.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11
I personally cant get worked up about someone buying food for their own family. If they were a reseller then maybe yes.

It makes sense to have extra food in for your family, especially the way things are going. It provides a buffer. How many could really afford the food increases of 480% Lebanon has seen? . Even in venezuela there was still food just that not everyone could afford to eat.

Think it M&S’s boss who said we would have even higher prices after the summer.
But people buying so much of one item will cause food shortages.

That's a big leap. Don't throw out accusations of eugenics just because a certain topic makes you uncomfortable. Overpopulation and overconsumption is a serious issue. With what we know about climate change, not to mention finite resources, having more than 2 children is reckless and irresponsible.
It doesn’t make me remotely uncomfortable, I’ve made the “one and done” thread on here so you’ll be glad to know I’ve exceeded your target :)

I just think you have to be incredibly sensitive when throwing around blanket statements like that. Big families are the norm in some cultures/religions/nationalities, including mine, for various reasons. It’s grotesque to point the finger at these families rather than the fact capitalism itself being at direct odds with environmental interests.

Tbh I don’t really want to continue this convo so this’ll be me out ✌

• Heart
  • Sick
Reactions: 17
It doesn’t make me remotely uncomfortable, I’ve made the “one and done” thread on here so you’ll be glad to know I’ve exceeded your target :)

I just think you have to be incredibly sensitive when throwing around blanket statements like that. Big families are the norm in some cultures/religions/nationalities, including mine, for various reasons. It’s grotesque to point the finger at these families rather than the fact capitalism itself being at direct odds with environmental interests.

Nail, head.

We've to use paper straws whilst huge companies and corporations are not held to account. FWIW I do as much as I can with recycling, buying second hand, buying ethically, reducing food waste etc but much more needs to be done.

• Heart
Reactions: 13

I agree, I should've said that people in First world countries (with access to free education and contraception) should limit their families to no more than 2 children. Of course, there are exceptions due to multiples and rape/abuse etc. But for the majority of women in first world countries who do decide to have more than 2 children, this is a choice.

You still arent letting us know what a fair amount is though?
A fair amount will vary, maybe 5 packets. But taking 2 cases is taking the piss, unless you are collecting for the foodbank. If you want to buy in bulk like that, go to costco, don't wipe out the stock at your local supermarket.

Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.