Discontent #5 food, energy, transport, cost of living etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Ocado sent me this email yesterday, is that supposed to be over £30 of groceries 😱

View attachment 1424507

I know crunchy nut conflakes are expensive thanks to super Hans but as a mainly Aldi shopper I had no idea brands were this expensive
I just put them in my basket & came to just under £23 but we dont get much for that

Reactions: 3
Don't you think it's a bit selfish to buy two cases of noodles in one go? If a few people did that there would be no stock left. I'm all for people buying an extra item or two each week, but taking cases of one product is really selfish and typical of the "duck you, got mine" and "I'm alright. jack" attitude that is so prevalent these days. Were you also hoarding all the toilet paper during the first lockdown?

I'm on a baking group on facebook, and a lot of the women there who make cake for a living always clear the shelves in aldi/lidl/home bargains of flour, sugar eggs etc and I just think it's really selfish. They would probably sell their nan for a bag of chocolate chips.
1 of each flavour. Its a tesco super store plenty left theres 14 in a case .
I only shop there once a month and they been impossible find elsewhere decent price only bachelors elsewhere.
Its summer school holidays my 12 year old loves them .

It’s the 4 freezers I think is bonkers! I’d be more worried about the cost of running them and certainly couldn’t fit them in my house! We have a main fridge/freezer and a small second freezer for batch cooking. (I’m disabled so often need stuff to grab easily when I can’t cook)
We are a family of 6..
I have 1 half chest. 1 tall upright
2 under counters
I batch cook
Buy as many reductions as I can find..
4th freezer was free off Mark place and trying to grow more in pots and allotment plus free blackberry and plums locally so wanted extra freezer space to do freeze tomatoes, make pasta sauces or freeze berries for the kids as frozen berries really shot up in price

Assuming your credit card is interest bearing - it would make more sense to repay that before overpaying council tax which isn’t interest bearing, surely?
Thank you we will try and swop when we paid a bit more off.
For us we struggle with variable income so paying council tax off early makes December which is expensive and jan/ feb low paid months much easier as its £174 less outgoings.
We always try and pay least double the minimum on the credit card.
Due to tax bill and upcoming expenses we not managing to pay massive chunks off it like we had hoped.
Maybe once ct paid off the extra £174 "!, then go credit card on top of minimum plus payment.

Last edited:
1 of each flavour. Its a tesco super store plenty left theres 14 in a case .
I only shop there once a month and they been impossible find elsewhere decent price only bachelors elsewhere.
Its summer school holidays my 12 year old loves them .

We are a family of 6..
I have 1 half chest. 1 tall upright
2 under counters
I batch cook
Buy as many reductions as I can find..
4th freezer was free off Mark place and trying to grow more in pots and allotment plus free blackberry and plums locally so wanted extra freezer space to do freeze tomatoes, make pasta sauces or freeze berries for the kids as frozen berries really shot up in price

Thank you we will try and swop when we paid a bit more off.
For us we struggle with variable income so paying council tax off early makes December which is expensive and jan/ feb low paid months much easier as its £174 less outgoings.
We always try and pay least double the minimum on the credit card.
Due to tax bill and upcoming expenses we not managing to pay massive chunks off it like we had hoped.
Maybe once ct paid off the extra £174 "!, then go credit card on top of minimum plus payment.
I don't think you need to justify, why you buy how ever many noodles etc. You are entitled to buy it.

Reactions: 11
I just put them in my basket & came to just under £23 but we dont get much for that
Even £23 sounds way too much for those 8 items. Apart from the tomatoes and pasta sauce it's all total junk food - just refined whites, sugar and oil.

People I know with good wages and low mortgage costs are starting to not buy certain brands anymore. I wonder if sales are massively declining?

Reactions: 6
Definitely seeing food prices creep up and up. I nipped into Aldi at the weekend for lunch and snacky bits for the kids and was £65. I bought no dinner items at all, purely breakfast, lunch and snacks. £10 of it was oat milk and fabric softener but the rest was fruit, salad bits, bread items, yogurts, mini sausage rolls, sandwich ham, crisps, ice lollies.

In the past I reckon Id have been no more than £40 for what I got.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Even £23 sounds way too much for those 8 items. Apart from the tomatoes and pasta sauce it's all total junk food - just refined whites, sugar and oil.

People I know with good wages and low mortgage costs are starting to not buy certain brands anymore. I wonder if sales are massively declining?
We used to love the little spice tailor kits but effectively they're terrible value. I now go to Grape Tree for the spice pots, they're really good quality, last ages and are often 3 for 2.

I'm happy to buy basics for most things but never toothpaste. I suppose we are lucky that we have no allergies etc. My friend can only buy Fairy wash powder at eye watering prices.

(As you can see I'm not fussed by expiry dates😆).

20220718_090952.jpg

This from the eye made me laugh, especially the just browsing. Not that the situation is funny, but if you don't laugh you'll cry.
20220717_190732.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 17
We used to love the little spice tailor kits but effectively they're terrible value. I now go to Grape Tree for the spice pots, they're really good quality, last ages and are often 3 for 2.

I'm happy to buy basics for most things but never toothpaste. I suppose we are lucky that we have no allergies etc. My friend can only buy Fairy wash powder at eye watering prices.

(As you can see I'm not fussed by expiry dates😆).

View attachment 1425958
If you have any Asian stores near you, you can also get spices cheaper.

Also if you search the Indian name too. Eg Onion seeds is Kalonji .

Granted not everyone wants 1kg of the stuff. :LOL:

Reactions: 5
Buying your food at your local Indian, African or Arab stores is an amazing trick.

My mother lives in France and she buys her meat at the Arab store because the prices are wayyyyy cheaper and it comes with seasonings. Which makes her life easier. The local Indian has so many spices that you can buy for next to nothing and the African store has so many vegetables and fish for a bargain.

In such economy it is important to take a look at all stores because depending on the culture affiliated you may find some gems.

If you have any Asian stores near you, you can also get spices cheaper.

Also if you search the Indian name too. Eg Onion seeds is Kalonji .

Granted not everyone wants 1kg of the stuff. :LOL:

You can buy those big ones in the world section, not quite 1kg but cheaper than the usual spices

Attachments

Reactions: 2
I don't think you need to justify, why you buy how ever many noodles etc. You are entitled to buy it.
If you want to live in a civilised society, then you don't take more than your fair share. Nobody is entitled to take ridiculous amounts of food off the shelves, even if they are paying for it. That's a very primitive, dog eat dog mentality and it has no place in a civilised society.

But as long as you are alright, innit?

Reactions: 16
If you want to live in a civilised society, then you don't take more than your fair share. Nobody is entitled to take ridiculous amounts of food off the shelves, even if they are paying for it. That's a very primitive, dog eat dog mentality and it has no place in a civilised society.

If someone has 4 kids I think they should be able to buy noodles without being judged 🙄

Reactions: 12

but how do we decide what this 'fair amount' is as we are encouraged to bulk buy with prices being cheaper/packs being bigger.

For me I dont mind how much anyone buys aslong as it'll get eaten/drunk/used. For me food waste is the thing that annoys me.
I'd much rather someone buy 24 packs of noodles & eat them, than buying 5 & throwing 3 away etc

Reactions: 8
If someone has 4 kids I think they should be able to buy noodles without being judged 🙄
I will judge people who take more than their fair share, yes. Taking 2 cases of an item is greedy and selfish behaviour and should not be encouraged in a civilised society. Can you imagine if everyone did that? It would be a free for all and it would be a horrible society to live in where people only care about themselves and their own. It's exactly what happened during the first lockdown, where selfish people who didn't give a damn about anyone else cleared the shelves.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
How many is 2 cases? 24? Kids never stop bloody eating especially teenagers. 24 packs of noodles could last a week with 4 teenagers in the house. 🤯

My kids arent teens yet and the amount of food we go through especially in the school holidays is crazy.

Before anyone piles on, both my kids are healthy weights and if they say theyre hungry theyre encouraged to have something in our household 😌

• Heart
Reactions: 15
How many is 2 cases? 24? Kids never stop bloody eating especially teenagers. 24 packs of noodles could last a week with 4 teenagers in the house. 🤯

My kids arent teens yet and the amount of food we go through especially in the school holidays is crazy.

Before anyone piles on, both my kids are healthy weights and if they say theyre hungry theyre encouraged to have something in our household 😌
That's why most sensible people don't have 4 kids;)

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 14
That's why most sensible people don't have 4 kids;)
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, and assume you were joking, otherwise you have no right to judge someone on the number of kids they have. It's totally uncalled for.

• Heart
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, and assume you were joking, otherwise you have no right to judge someone on the number of kids they have. It's totally uncalled for.
Come back and say that when people are fighting over food and water in the UK, John.

Fair share, who decides what's fair. I don't eat noodles often, so she can have my share.

Also I don't drink, so I will give up my share of drink, for someone's share of pizza.

We are talking about a few packs of noodles not someone's oxygen supply.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.