Designer Items #6

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I thought designer things were more expensive in America? I’m sure Americans always buy in Europe to save on tax and it’s cheaper. Plus the pound has been really crap against the dollar so I’m not sure it’ll be much cheaper, if at all?

I may be wrong though

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I thought designer things were more expensive in America? I’m sure Americans always buy in Europe to save on tax and it’s cheaper. Plus the pound has been really crap against the dollar so I’m not sure it’ll be much cheaper, if at all?

I may be wrong though
I think you’re right that most things are more expensive, especially designer like LV, Chanel etc. Like a previous poster said, American brands might be cheaper and maybe they have better sales than the UK. I know wherever I’ve travelled to in the USA there’s been no tax refunds but I believe it may differ from state to state, so @harveydean maybe worth checking where you are travelling to 🙂

• Heart
Reactions: 4
The only place I’ve ever found designer items cheaper in the US is at the outlet villages. American designers are cheaper but also depends on the exchange rate. Still worth a trip - I’m going to Woodbury Common in NYC in Sept. You can sign up for discounts and also receive a book of discounts on arrival and there will be offers on in store - they used to let you use them all😂

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Has anyone shopped at Christian Louboutin at Bicester Village? I’ve sent them a WhatsApp message to see their stock but they’ve not got back to me just yet … I’m hoping I can get a few pairs of heels for my building collection 😁🤞🏽 but I feel like it’s always ugly sneakers lol.

I saw a tiktok where a girl got a pair of pink So Kates for £375-ish… 🤞🏽🤞🏽🤞🏽👀👀👀

I’ve got 3 holidays this year so far so I really want some nice designer sandals, since they’ll get good usage! I would love some Dior ones but they look too narrow for my fat little feet! 🤣 and so do the Orans. I’ll have to try some on.

Has anyone shopped at Christian Louboutin at Bicester Village? I’ve sent them a WhatsApp message to see their stock but they’ve not got back to me just yet … I’m hoping I can get a few pairs of heels for my building collection 😁🤞🏽 but I feel like it’s always ugly sneakers lol.

I saw a tiktok where a girl got a pair of pink So Kates for £375-ish… 🤞🏽🤞🏽🤞🏽👀👀👀

I’ve got 3 holidays this year so far so I really want some nice designer sandals, since they’ll get good usage! I would love some Dior ones but they look too narrow for my fat little feet! 🤣 and so do the Orans. I’ll have to try some on.
Yeah I’ve bought a few pairs, they’re really nice in store but I’ve never shopped on WhatsApp with them! Good prices as well, but they barely ever have any sizes in the nice ones 😭

Reactions: 2
Yeah I’ve bought a few pairs, they’re really nice in store but I’ve never shopped on WhatsApp with them! Good prices as well, but they barely ever have any sizes in the nice ones 😭
What size are you, if you don’t mind me asking? I’m a 3.5 so usually get 4s in CL, so I feel like all the 4s will be sold out 😭

Reactions: 1
What size are you, if you don’t mind me asking? I’m a 3.5 so usually get 4s in CL, so I feel like all the 4s will be sold out 😭
I don’t mind, I either go for 3 or 3.5 so very similar to you! I’ve seen them have a lot of size 3’s or 7/8’s. It depends a lot on which style you like too, if you’re near Bicester I’d recommend going in person :)

I don’t mind, I either go for 3 or 3.5 so very similar to you! I’ve seen them have a lot of size 3’s or 7/8’s. It depends a lot on which style you like too, if you’re near Bicester I’d recommend going in person :)
Thanks girl! I’ll see what stock they send me on WhatsApp and hopefully I’ll be taking a trip 🤞🏽

Also - I’ve just seen the new collection by LV, the Nautical - and I actually really like it. I think it’s cute 💘

• Heart
Just to let everybody know we must be being listened to. Was in a store today and mentioned Gucci. I tit you not 20 min later Gucci sent me a text 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Our phones absolutely listen to us! This has happened SO many times to me 👀

Reactions: 6
Not a branding/strategy girly so no idea tbh but imagine they’re trying to claw back some level of (perceived) scarcity in a social media era where their bags are usually positioned next to grim fast fash. They won’t have gone into it blind so imagine revenue wise they’ll be absolutely fine, if not do better for it. They’re not pricing themselves out the market they’re pricing out people who may have bought one or a few bags in their lifetime in favour of v wealthy people who’ll shop more frequently + buy significantly more. But then you have to wonder what’s the point in having so many physical stores if you no longer want to be somewhat accessible to the general public?

But with that said I cannot understand how they can justify the prices for the quality - but suppose that isn’t a huge concern for the genuinely wealthy. It’ll be interesting to see how Hermès respond to the same issue, every time I use TikTok there’s something Birkin related 🤯
Thank you for your v informative breakdown here - I meant to come back to this sooner. Yeah I guess the key is as you say, pricing out the people who may have bought one or a few bags. That does make sense. I'd love to know what their demographic of shoppers is. Like, what percentage are the truly wealthy and what percentage are people who buy just once or twice.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Thank you for your v informative breakdown here - I meant to come back to this sooner. Yeah I guess the key is as you say, pricing out the people who may have bought one or a few bags. That does make sense. I'd love to know what their demographic of shoppers is. Like, what percentage are the truly wealthy and what percentage are people who buy just once or twice.
This was a huge part of my last job but obviously can’t disclose specifics obvs but feel like it’s p common knowledge if not just the obvious that the wealthiest customers shop more often, buy more, and buy more expensive and oftentimes higher margin products. They are the bread and butter of the business and if retaining or developing them means culling the low frequency/spend masses to appease them then clearly Chanel are ok with that. Personally for me I think it’s ick and would never shop there as a non high value customer but I’m v disillusioned with the industry anyway tbh lol.

Idk if this is common knowledge but brands can (and do!) buy third party datasets for a variety of reasons but it wouldn’t be difficult to model the potential impact of such a decision - customers/revenue lost based upon household disposable/income or credit profiles and then budget for the growth needed in certain centile(s) to offset that. But 🤐

I do wonder what this means for the 5, 10+ year outlook for physical stores tho. Like on top of all the industry wide issues impacting retail. They need geographical coverage cos despite common misconceptions/prejudices there’s a lot of money/spend ex-London, but I don’t see how sustaining so many physical premises will make sense with them tightening up on who can access shopping with them? I feel this more for LV than Chanel who are comparatively lighter on stores, but they’re still somewhat accessibly priced I suppose 🤷🏻‍♀️

Sorry for essay. It’s interesting and I do wonder how priced out customers will react? Emma Anders put out a video yesterday that was like idc which was not surprising but I also have to wonder what some of these brands have to do to deter stans? Like she described shocking (imo) quality issues and still doesn’t care, like does Chanel have to sell you dogshit in a bag before you have questions about their intentions? 🫠

Reactions: 10
I honestly cannot get enough of this chat - I find it fascinating how the markets work and how each demographic of customer is targetted (or not). Over on The Purse Forums, there are a lot of very well informed posters and buyers. Some of them have an encyclopaedic knowledge of products, price points, stock levels, history of the brand etc. With regards to quality, the general feeling is that it has dropped considerably over the last 5 years.

Reactions: 10
Has anyone got a Celine Luggage bag? I’m on the fence about getting one but I need a new summer bag and can’t find any other that I like.
i have a nano in kohl. absolutely love it! i also wrap scarf on handles.
it might look small but with 10cm width, it could fit a lot!

• Heart
If anyone cares, the Christian louboutin stock at Bicester village is pretty good rn! I told them my size via WhatsApp and that I was looking for heels and she sent me 5 pages worth of stock. I ordered the pinup hot chicks, the collab with Dr Bored 😍

Reactions: 2
I honestly cannot get enough of this chat - I find it fascinating how the markets work and how each demographic of customer is targetted (or not). Over on The Purse Forums, there are a lot of very well informed posters and buyers. Some of them have an encyclopaedic knowledge of products, price points, stock levels, history of the brand etc. With regards to quality, the general feeling is that it has dropped considerably over the last 5 years.
I love my luxury brands and one of the reasons has always been that the quality is far better than most. However it might also just be that the UK doesn't have enough independent shops making luxury leather items and that is something I really miss.
I grew up abroad and we had a lot of independent shops and crafters making the most amazing things and really good quality. So you don't feel like you're missing out if you can't afford luxury brands

Reactions: 8
i have a nano in kohl. absolutely love it! i also wrap scarf on handles.
it might look small but with 10cm width, it could fit a lot!
The Kohl is a lovely colour, I’m looking at either the chalk or the rice I can’t decide between the two. I don’t want them to start getting popular and River Island doing copies.

I love my luxury brands and one of the reasons has always been that the quality is far better than most. However it might also just be that the UK doesn't have enough independent shops making luxury leather items and that is something I really miss.
I grew up abroad and we had a lot of independent shops and crafters making the most amazing things and really good quality. So you don't feel like you're missing out if you can't afford luxury brands
Agreed re UK not having a strong offering in this space, any time I’ve seen nice quality leather goods it’s been very…. National trust gift shop? Like it’d be a frumpy patchwork leather cross body bag merchandised next to a bright purple wool felted scarf with inexplicable star burst detail. Very Nutty and Giles.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.