Designer Items #5

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
FML how expensive is Chanel these days?! Considering a pair of 2 tone ballet flats and you’re looking at around £800 which is RIDICULOUS!
I saw a video on insta recently where a leather smith deconstructed a Chanel purse and rated it on the craftsmanship, the quality of the hide and basically said it was worth about £100🫠 😳

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 10
I saw a video on insta recently where a leather smith deconstructed a Chanel purse and rated it on the craftsmanship, the quality of the hide and basically said it was worth about £100🫠 😳
We’ve probably watched the same guy and I disagree a little with him. He doesn’t take into acount the time it takes people to make the bags.
But still I agree they are now overpriced

Reactions: 3
I love his videos! He’s called “tanner_leatherstein” for anyone interested and is on tiktok too. Iirc he rated Loewe quite highly but apart from them pretty much every luxury brand he’s noted you’re paying a premium for branding over quality. Which is pretty known anyway? Similarly with vintage > modern day.

Reactions: 7
Ooooh interesting I’ll check him out, thanks 👍🏻 I mean we all know that quality at Chanel is an issue these days but coupled with the price increases it just feels like such a piss take. I guess though if they keep increasing and people are still buying they’re in a win-win situation. I can’t ever see customer numbers or desirability declining, like it has at say, Mulberry, because, well it’s Chanel 🤷🏼‍♀️

Speaking of Hermes though, my Orans arrived today and the quality is 👌🏼 Far superior to my YSL Nu Pieds which I’m gonna flog.

I’m having a clear out today - only high street stuff, Whistles, TopShop, a bit of Boden cashmere - not sure whether to list on eBay or Vinted 🤔 Any thoughts?

Ooooh interesting I’ll check him out, thanks 👍🏻 I mean we all know that quality at Chanel is an issue these days but coupled with the price increases it just feels like such a piss take. I guess though if they keep increasing and people are still buying they’re in a win-win situation. I can’t ever see customer numbers or desirability declining, like it has at say, Mulberry, because, well it’s Chanel 🤷🏼‍♀️

Speaking of Hermes though, my Orans arrived today and the quality is 👌🏼 Far superior to my YSL Nu Pieds which I’m gonna flog.

I’m having a clear out today - only high street stuff, Whistles, TopShop, a bit of Boden cashmere - not sure whether to list on eBay or Vinted 🤔 Any thoughts?
Don’t want to write a boring essay on this but there’s always going to be HNWIs that keep these brands afloat, a lot of growth/spend will come from newer markets, so I’m not for a minute suggesting they’ll cease to be. But I think for the UK specifically demand over the next 40+ years is inevitably going to decline where current customers die off or age out and aren’t replaced at the same rate due to increased CoL (mainly housing) and once we reach gen z reaching the stage they’d buy - idk if I think they would value a legacy brand with some of the problematic history it has like that. I know they’re investing a lot in customer insights 🔺 which suggests they’re trying to get ahead of it too?

Re resell bits - Vinted sadly but postage can be a bit of a mess with them. I’d select Royal Mail tracked to send it otherwise it is hell. I sold some nice highstreet bits like you described for £40-80 a piece and it was fine, I love eBay but I don’t think it gets the traffic vinted does anymore sadly?

• Heart
Don’t want to write a boring essay on this but there’s always going to be HNWIs that keep these brands afloat, a lot of growth/spend will come from newer markets, so I’m not for a minute suggesting they’ll cease to be. But I think for the UK specifically demand over the next 40+ years is inevitably going to decline where current customers die off or age out and aren’t replaced at the same rate due to increased CoL (mainly housing) and once we reach gen z reaching the stage they’d buy - idk if I think they would value a legacy brand with some of the problematic history it has like that. I know they’re investing a lot in customer insights 🔺 which suggests they’re trying to get ahead of it too?

Re resell bits - Vinted sadly but postage can be a bit of a mess with them. I’d select Royal Mail tracked to send it otherwise it is hell. I sold some nice highstreet bits like you described for £40-80 a piece and it was fine, I love eBay but I don’t think it gets the traffic vinted does anymore sadly?
Without fan girling you, this is not boring at all! 🙌🏻 I love to read intel on the fashion world, both high end and high street - I find it fascinating 🤓

Yeah I was thinking prob Vinted over Depop or eBay. My eldest tells me Depop is problematic and eBay is dire these days - as you say I just dont think it’s as popular as it was. Good tip about the postage - thank you.

• Heart
Without fan girling you, this is not boring at all! 🙌🏻 I love to read intel on the fashion world, both high end and high street - I find it fascinating 🤓

Yeah I was thinking prob Vinted over Depop or eBay. My eldest tells me Depop is problematic and eBay is dire these days - as you say I just dont think it’s as popular as it was. Good tip about the postage - thank you.
Not at all suggesting what I’ve said is right btw and it’s 50/50 on discussing this with ppl at work who either agree or think that actually ppl will treat themselves more (as if it’s just éclairs from M&S on the commute home lol) - maybe it’s wrong but I can’t imagine in an economy where a first term purchase in any city centre is nearly if not already over half a mil and fixed overheads make up over 50% of most ppl’s income that demand can be sustained in this country at all.

But with that said had a brief convo on the Sophie Shohet thread about luxury collectors… and it’s chicken/egg cos those lot largely can’t dress for tit but the average person will largely see luxury on them or reality huns in the mail so the idea of spending £6k+ on a Chanel bag versus a mortgage overpayment or holiday becomes even less appealing. I know they’re rising prices to price those huns out but I don’t think they’ll ever be able to get rid 😬 unless they went cashless 🤭 but then ppl said this about Daniella Westbrook and Burberry and they’re fine so who knows! Also with most brands at least trying to gain some environmental credentials I still find luxury fashion’s complete lack of fucks given for the price point and claimed scarcity v wild, maybe gen z will kick back on that in 10, 20+ years 🤷🏻‍♀️

Good luck selling your bits though, I found vinted surprisingly okay and most things went within days. I’ve got an IKEA bag of bits I need to donate/sell so pls lmk how you get on 🙏🏻❤

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I use vinted! Not sold anything too high end because I’m a bit scared to haha, but for clothes and high street stuff it’s fine 🙂 I don’t sell anything that I would be upset about losing

Reactions: 2
@Dizzy @panini It was mulberry. I don’t know if they were trying to stitch me up (no pun intended) but I only ending up paying half of what they reckoned was outstanding (£150 instead of £300) which is what I was only expecting to pay….

• Wow
Reactions: 4
@Dizzy @panini It was mulberry. I don’t know if they were trying to stitch me up (no pun intended) but I only ending up paying half of what they reckoned was outstanding (£150 instead of £300) which is what I was only expecting to pay….
I’d like to say I’m surprised but I’m really not. Heard such tit things about Mulberry…. Glad you only paid what you were expecting.

Get on the Vinted thread😂 I have had some luck on there but find people want things cheap cheap. I’m going to start listing on both Vinted and eBay and just see who goes first. Depop is a no no from me, just don’t really understand it🫠

Has anyone noticed any Marc jacob totes on tk maxx recently? I got one due to someone posting it on here but now my friends trying to get one but hasn’t had any luck

Get on the Vinted thread😂 I have had some luck on there but find people want things cheap cheap. I’m going to start listing on both Vinted and eBay and just see who goes first. Depop is a no no from me, just don’t really understand it🫠
I had no idea there was one! Excellent - see you there 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Haha
Reactions: 1
Has anyone noticed any Marc jacob totes on tk maxx recently? I got one due to someone posting it on here but now my friends trying to get one but hasn’t had any luck
Might’ve been me but I haven’t seen any for a while. There are some MJ camera bags on there atm. I’ll keep an eye out and let you know x

Has anyone ever bought from Axel Arigato? Are they worth it or nah?

I fancy some new trainers and kinda over Vejas now 😬 these are cute but could potentially be uncomfortable!

Reactions: 2

I fancy some new trainers and kinda over Vejas now 😬 these are cute but could potentially be uncomfortable!

I’ve personally never heard of them, but they’re opening a store at Bicester.

They are a family fave for us. I find them really comfortable and they keep a great shape/don’t mark easy

I find mine really comfortable and love the way they look. I’ve had them for quite a while and still going strong.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.