Dealing with Anxiety

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m back lol my anxiety is round my ex who recently came back into my life about a week. We had frequent communication (I would say fell into bad habits- kinda acting boyfriend and girlfriend) . He’s told me he’s struggling with his mental health and got a lot going on atm- he had a “weird day” on Monday and didn’t respond to any of messages on Monday or Tuesday. I’ve decided to not message over the past 3 days until my anxiety for the better of me.
I’ve rang him- went to voicemail. I’ve texted on WhatsApp ( so I can see the blue ticks!) and all I can think about is what if he’s harmed himself etc. I couldn’t bear the thought if he has…
I’m full of anxiety and I don’t know where he lives to do a wellness check (he’s currently living with a mate!)….my therapist has tried to reassure me that he’s probs just ghosting me/taking time out from life as he’s done this previously in May lol ignoring people and then coming back…

any tips on how to calm my mind? X

Reactions: 3
I’m back lol my anxiety is round my ex who recently came back into my life about a week. We had frequent communication (I would say fell into bad habits- kinda acting boyfriend and girlfriend) . He’s told me he’s struggling with his mental health and got a lot going on atm- he had a “weird day” on Monday and didn’t respond to any of messages on Monday or Tuesday. I’ve decided to not message over the past 3 days until my anxiety for the better of me.
I’ve rang him- went to voicemail. I’ve texted on WhatsApp ( so I can see the blue ticks!) and all I can think about is what if he’s harmed himself etc. I couldn’t bear the thought if he has…
I’m full of anxiety and I don’t know where he lives to do a wellness check (he’s currently living with a mate!)….my therapist has tried to reassure me that he’s probs just ghosting me/taking time out from life as he’s done this previously in May lol ignoring people and then coming back…

any tips on how to calm my mind? X
ignore me. He replied at 3.30am going “I’m ok thank you ☺” so I think he’s dealing with whatever’s going on in his life.

My mantra at the moment is “ the trick is to keep breathing”. But that then leads my mind to start playing tricks of its own, such as “ maybe I would be better off if I wasn’t breathing”. Breathing is by the way difficult and in the last few days I’ve self diagnosed many illnesses (ovarian cancer, heart attack, throat cancer, pancreatic cancer) and yes I know how ridiculous that all sounds. But there you have it. Anxiety isn’t rational.

• Heart
I’m looking for advice for anyone with anxiety. I think I was on the edge of a panic attack or something today, I had to leave a room. This is the first time ever and I’m confused. My chest and throat were tight, my tongue felt too big, I felt like crying and it was hard to speak. Does anyone know what this is? I don’t want to call it a panic/anxiety attack cos I wasn’t sweating/thinking I was going to die or anything like that.

Reactions: 2
I’m looking for advice for anyone with anxiety. I think I was on the edge of a panic attack or something today, I had to leave a room. This is the first time ever and I’m confused. My chest and throat were tight, my tongue felt too big, I felt like crying and it was hard to speak. Does anyone know what this is? I don’t want to call it a panic/anxiety attack cos I wasn’t sweating/thinking I was going to die or anything like that.
Were you anxious at the time?

How do you feel now?

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I get this all the time. Sorry no advice to give. I kind of call them Adrenalin attacks though I know that’s not accurate. I feel like something is taking over. Can’t think straight etc. can’t calm down. Can’t stop shaking. Can’t breathe or talk properly. Legs feel like they’re going to give way.

• Heart
Were you anxious at the time?

How do you feel now?
I was and have been since yesterday (or probably a lot longer but I’ve been squashing it down I think). I feel slightly better now but still short of breath when I think about it.

• Heart
I was and have been since yesterday (or probably a lot longer but I’ve been squashing it down I think). I feel slightly better now but still short of breath when I think about it.
If you were anxious it’s no surprise, you had an anxiety attack. Are you stressed about something at the moment? This may be causing it, if you’ve never previously suffered from them.

Try some deep breaths if it happens again. Breathe in counting to 4 then breathe out through your mouth counting to 7.

• Heart
If you were anxious it’s no surprise, you had an anxiety attack. Are you stressed about something at the moment? This may be causing it, if you’ve never previously suffered from them.

Try some deep breaths if it happens again. Breathe in counting to 4 then breathe out through your mouth counting to 7.
Yeh I think I’m stressed about work stuff and other things but didn’t acknowledge it until today when it came to a head. I had a full on sob fest when I got home for “no reason” which kind of seems like a release of stress 💙 Thanks for your advice

• Heart
Yeh I think I’m stressed about work stuff and other things but didn’t acknowledge it until today when it came to a head. I had a full on sob fest when I got home for “no reason” which kind of seems like a release of stress 💙 Thanks for your advice
Stress is an awful thing. I would say you’re not suddenly going to start having regular panic/attacks and now have anxiety but that your stress culminated in a one off panic attack that has made you realise how stressed you’ve been and now you can try and make changes.

If you do have another one at least you’ll know what it is but I hope you don’t and it was just a one off 🤞

• Heart
Stress is an awful thing. I would say you’re not suddenly going to start having regular panic/attacks and now have anxiety but that your stress culminated in a one off panic attack that has made you realise how stressed you’ve been and now you can try and make changes.

If you do have another one at least you’ll know what it is but I hope you don’t and it was just a one off 🤞
Thank you, my stress usually manifests in digestive issues so this was a new experience and slightly scary. I don’t think it was a full on panic attack from what I read because I wasn’t panicking or in pain/spiralling. I think it was anxiety manifesting in a shortness of breath, feeling on the bring of tears/on edge. Thanks for the reassurance, I need to slow down I think 🙏

• Heart
Does anyone else get very loose bowel movements when anxious? Sorry to be graphic but I get diarrhoea or if anxiety is milder, something approaching diarrhoea.

Reactions: 5
Does anyone else get very loose bowel movements when anxious? Sorry to be graphic but I get diarrhoea or if anxiety is milder, something approaching diarrhoea.
honestly I get this too.
My stomach will feel like a washing machine going round first, then 💩

Reactions: 5
It is definitely one of my first symptoms when my anxiety start getting out of control. It’s pretty common I think.

I’ve got a dr’s appointment for anxiety cos it’s starting to affect me a lot more than usual. When it was hot a few weeks I went to get a beauty treatment and I got so anxious about sweating that I ended up literally dripping and got so embarrassed. I’m due back at work after a long holiday and I’m lying awake at night already anxious about it cos I don’t like my job and feel awkward around my colleagues cos I’m not confident like them. I haven’t seen friends in weeks cos I’m too nervous and think they’ll notice I’ve put weight on. Oh yeah I’ve piled weight on because I’ve been comfort eating.

How do I start a convo with my doctor about it when they ask what’s wrong? Even anxious about that lol. And will they offer to sign me off or do I have to ask?

I think it’s related to peri menopause so not sure if i can even be fixed.

Edited to add I don’t have actual panic attacks but some days I can feel my heart beating, it’s very much in my head anxiety rather than physical

• Heart
I’ve got a dr’s appointment for anxiety cos it’s starting to affect me a lot more than usual. When it was hot a few weeks I went to get a beauty treatment and I got so anxious about sweating that I ended up literally dripping and got so embarrassed. I’m due back at work after a long holiday and I’m lying awake at night already anxious about it cos I don’t like my job and feel awkward around my colleagues cos I’m not confident like them. I haven’t seen friends in weeks cos I’m too nervous and think they’ll notice I’ve put weight on. Oh yeah I’ve piled weight on because I’ve been comfort eating.

How do I start a convo with my doctor about it when they ask what’s wrong? Even anxious about that lol. And will they offer to sign me off or do I have to ask?

I think it’s related to peri menopause so not sure if i can even be fixed.

Edited to add I don’t have actual panic attacks but some days I can feel my heart beating, it’s very much in my head anxiety rather than physical
I think it’s great that you decided to go and talk to your doctor about it! Just tell him everything you said here. So many people experience anxiety, you don’t have to feel awkward about it 💙 I’d say he might want to run a blood test, as the anxiety could be a symptom of something else (hormones, iron levels, etc).

If you feel like things are too much right now, I wouldn’t hesitate to ask for some time off. But with that said, it is scary to go back to work but it has to be done at some point. You’re the only one who knows, is it a lot of nerves or is it too much for now? You don’t want to burn out of course but sadly I do think anxiety is something you have to work through and that can’t be done from the comfort of your home.

Also I know it’s cliche but consider starting meditation, exercising or walking, and be mindful of what you’re eating (I am a comfort eater myself so absolutely no judgment here). It does really help.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Eating related - Does anyone experience this with anxiety?

Does anyone experience the following?

I sometimes get severe anxiety to the point where my whole body is shaking for days on end and I become so engrossed in my fear that I lose my appetite entirely and I wind up not eating for 1 or 2 weeks (mainly surviving on coffee and biscuits).

It happened to me last week and despite being hungry and wanting to eat, my mind would not allow me because if I ate it meant my fear would materialize. It’s as though my mind was forcing me to starve myself.

It’s super odd as I’m 32 and never had an eating disorder or body image issues.

• Heart
Eating related - Does anyone experience this with anxiety?

Does anyone experience the following?

I sometimes get severe anxiety to the point where my whole body is shaking for days on end and I become so engrossed in my fear that I lose my appetite entirely and I wind up not eating for 1 or 2 weeks (mainly surviving on coffee and biscuits).

It happened to me last week and despite being hungry and wanting to eat, my mind would not allow me because if I ate it meant my fear would materialize. It’s as though my mind was forcing me to starve myself.

It’s super odd as I’m 32 and never had an eating disorder or body image issues.

Yup! I have this ☺ my whole appetite goes and I can’t eat or if i have a break from the anxiety, i’ll eat when I can!

I think it’s due to anxiety is the unknown and you’re struggling to control the future, so you’re “focusing” (maybe the wrong word to use but can’t think of another one to use to get my point across!) on one thing you can control which is food! Your body is going into fight, fawn or flight mode & your eating habits are being effected.