Dealing with Anxiety

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve tried searching for a post on this so apologies if there is one already.

Currently I’m suffering with very bad anxiety. For months I’ve been waking very early with a suffocating feeling, my chest tight and heart rate high. At first it would go once I got up and kept busy but recently it’s through the day. I can’t think straight and it’s having a huge effect on everything.

I’ve suffered with anxiety and deep depression in the past but this is completely different. It makes me feel as though a huge weight is on my chest. I try deep breathing,exercise, stretching etc but it’s not helping much

How do you deal with anxiety please?

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 14
Hello,
Sending you big hugs. I have really bad anxiety (classified as a disabled person due to it). What helps me the most is therapy, but also grounding techniques in between therapy sessions. Breathing doesn’t work well for me for some reason. When I’m really anxious I say affirmations out loud to myself. My favorite one is repeating “I am safe.” I also like having a TV show on the background 24/7 (I was suicidal and anxious for two months straight, bed-ridden in November and December) on days where all I feel is anxiety. Yes, the show is on even when I go to sleep. It gives me added security that someone is there for me. My cat also helped a lot, just having him come up next to me and check in on me kept me alive and calmed me down. I picked up very basic yoga and body scanning. I haven’t done that in a few weeks but I found it helped my heart rate down. Massage therapy if you have access to it. Bubble baths, venting to online friends, getting anti-anxiety medications. They all help. Hope this helps a little. ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 11

Currently I’m suffering with very bad anxiety. For months I’ve been waking very early with a suffocating feeling, my chest tight and heart rate high. At first it would go once I got up and kept busy but recently it’s through the day. I can’t think straight and it’s having a huge effect on everything.

I’ve suffered with anxiety and deep depression in the past but this is completely different. It makes me feel as though a huge weight is on my chest. I try deep breathing,exercise, stretching etc but it’s not helping much

I think I remember you from the Menopause thread? Sorry if I've got that wrong...

It may be the menopause as I read the menopause matters forum and remember some women with this problem but it's also anxiety but the menopause can exacerbate anxiety. Are you on HRT at all? It might be worth trying it or speaking to your GP about this latest problem?

Reactions: 1
I experienced anxiety quite badly a few years ago and propranolol helped me as a short term measure to manage the physical symptoms of anxiety, while I was getting better and learning how to manage the thought based aspect of it. Is medication something you'd be willing to consider as a short term measure?

I also found keeping a brief journal helpful as a mood tracker, as it helped me to identify triggers to my anxiety.

Reactions: 2

It’s horrible isn’t it, that overwhelming feeling of panic. I’m prescribed Propranolol daily and it’s been a huge help for me.

For me, it would often be when I first woke up too - my heart would start racing and I’d be swept away with the panic instantly. I have to tell myself, in my head, to calm down as if I’m speaking to someone else, I’m ok and we’ll get to the bottom of what’s going on. I then run through what’s happening that day and the penny will drop when I hit on what it is - sometimes it’s the gym even though I enjoy it or expecting something at work or something connected to my son.

If there’s nothing specific that you can think, could it be linked to uncertainty? We seem to be coming out the other side of the pandemic to the rising cost of living etc. After all we’ve been through, it’s hard not to feel anxious.

Distraction can help if you feel overwhelmed; think about how it felt to be responsible for Sally Webster’s haircut 😳. Seriously though, the technique of thinking about five things you can see, or five people who will email you at work or the last five songs you heard on Spotify may work.

And if there’s anyone you see frequently - even if it’s a friend from work - do you think you could talk to them about it? The mind is a powerful thing but it can do the dirty on you a bit too. Maybe if you had someone to talk to even for a few minutes until the worst passes, it might help.

I certainly benefited from daily medication but I know that’s not for everyone. Good luck.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I have suffered with anxiety and depression for years and have various therapy and meds to try and help.
1 thing that does sort of help is mindfulness, whether it's listening to guided meditation, the shipping forecast or a piece on BBC sounds/spotify.
I've gotten into a routine of listening to the BBC sounds now when I am feeling overly anxious and have found the classical mindfulness sessions on BBC sounds extremely relaxing and very helpful.

Do you have easy (ish) access to your Dr or to a mental health professional at all?
Maybe try talking to one of those if it's really bad, or look at MIND
I really hope you can get some peace xxx

I have anxiety and mild depression too, and had the symptoms you describe - heart beating 24 hours a day, exhausted with worry, awful sleep, feeling low etc. My anxiety is largely under control these days. I had a very bad bout about 7 years ago and had to take a few weeks off work with anxiety and depression. I went to my GP who wrote me a sick note for work absence, and recommended therapy and medication. I went to a therapist weekly for a few months and it helped me reframe my thinking, I changed my attitude to work and family obligations with practice and reduced my stress levels. I had to stop trying to perfect everything in my life. I was eventually able to stop worrying about everything. I started taking a low dose of anti depressants which I still take to this day to help my mood.

My life has changed - it doesn't seem like it now but I promise you will feel better and anxiety will lift once you get a treatment that is suitable for you.

Have you gone to your GP yet? I think this should be the first port of call, they may be able to direct you to CBT therapist, medication options if that is right for you, etc.

This is a fixable problem if you reach out for help

• Heart
Reactions: 4

Sending love, because the physical symptoms are horrendous ❤

I’m in the same boat at the moment. I’m 28 and I reckon I’ve had anxiety since childhood. Over the past few days I’ve had awful insomnia, my mind is constantly racing, there’s an awful pressure and pain in my chest that won’t go. It’s both physically and mentally exhausting.

The usual “mindfulness” and “breathing exercises” and “take a bath and watch a funny movie” just don’t work at all for me. It’s as if the anxiety is too strong for my mind to concentrate on something else and relax.

I self-referred to a talking therapies centre (via NHS) for CBT a couple of years ago. That didn’t help me at all but I know it’s been beneficial for others. Are you in the UK?

I also plucked up the courage last year to speak to my GP about it and was prescribed sertraline. They didn’t agree with me at all and I now take Propranolol (beta-blocker) and Amitriptyline (antidepressant). I’ve not been on them long enough to say that they help. I’m sure with a lot of medication you feel worse before you start to feel better.

I’m sorry if this post isn’t helpful at all because to answer your question, I don’t deal with anxiety, anxiety deals with me🤣 But I just hope that you know you are not alone and there is plenty of help and support out there, I hope you find something that works for you❤

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Sending love, because the physical symptoms are horrendous ❤

I’m in the same boat at the moment. I’m 28 and I reckon I’ve had anxiety since childhood. Over the past few days I’ve had awful insomnia, my mind is constantly racing, there’s an awful pressure and pain in my chest that won’t go. It’s both physically and mentally exhausting.

The usual “mindfulness” and “breathing exercises” and “take a bath and watch a funny movie” just don’t work at all for me. It’s as if the anxiety is too strong for my mind to concentrate on something else and relax.

I self-referred to a talking therapies centre (via NHS) for CBT a couple of years ago. That didn’t help me at all but I know it’s been beneficial for others. Are you in the UK?

I also plucked up the courage last year to speak to my GP about it and was prescribed sertraline. They didn’t agree with me at all and I now take Propranolol (beta-blocker) and Amitriptyline (antidepressant). I’ve not been on them long enough to say that they help. I’m sure with a lot of medication you feel worse before you start to feel better.

I’m sorry if this post isn’t helpful at all because to answer your question, I don’t deal with anxiety, anxiety deals with me🤣 But I just hope that you know you are not alone and there is plenty of help and support out there, I hope you find something that works for you❤
I felt like I was constantly hungover when my anxiety was bad - exhausted, not able to think straight, weak, felt low. Was hard to try and do my job

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I've always suffered with depression, but being diagnosed with anxiety was tbh a relief, I suffered with tight chest, can't breath, palpitations, actually thought i was having heart problems, until one day I was driving home, I really can't explain the feeling, but just darkness and I thought this is it, how I didn't crash, I don't know, I ended up spending weeks in bed, couldn't physically do anything, maybe it was a breakdown? Anyways, I'm on a low ad, probably be on it for rest of my life, and it's taken me years to drive on my own again.
Sorry @Libbylulu not alot help here, I still get anxiety, I've just had to learn to deal with it.

• Heart
sorry to hear your going through this , I go through it from time to time myself but not often now.

What worked for me is joining a gym, feeling good , organising things and getting a diary.

I know it goes against anxiety, as I know thats what stops you doing things but pushing your boundaries to do things you normally wouldn't - because after you have done whatever it is, you feel amazing and proud of yourself and helps overcome some anxiety.

The best way is to speak to your GP to find the right medication that works for you, as there is hundreds out there and I found the right one which I have been on for nearly a year now, sort of trial and error but they will help and also provide support ! - not sure how GPs are with current covid but over the years I have just called up to say this isnt working or bad side effects and then I try a new one.

Walks and time off social media also help !

• Heart
Thanks everyone for taking the time to support, offer advice and share experiences. I’ve been given medication and I’m tapping and practicing deep breathing. I’m not as bad today so hopefully things are turning around. I’ve suffered with major depression in the past including a breakdown but this anxiety I’ve been feeling has been horrendous. Much love to those of you who are struggling 💗

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Jumping on here.. Been struggling to catch my breath/ take a deep breath for months. All my observations/ chest xray have come back clear.. got told to go doctors again. They've given me 10mg of propranolol twice a day. ..hoping it helps me and stops my chest hurting and my breathing back to normal. . Anyone gone through this and has tablets helped? I was willing to do anything to stop it.

Jumping on here.. Been struggling to catch my breath/ take a deep breath for months. All my observations/ chest xray have come back clear.. got told to go doctors again. They've given me 10mg of propranolol twice a day. ..hoping it helps me and stops my chest hurting and my breathing back to normal. . Anyone gone through this and has tablets helped? I was willing to do anything to stop it.
Propranolol definitely helped me but I didn't notice much of a difference until I went to 20mg and it was 3 times a day for me as twice wasn't holding off the anxiety. They don't have a build up effect so you should hopefully feel results soon if they are working for you x

I just have to let it pass. I’ve learnt sometimes just taking 10 minutes to myself can help it melt away a little bit. Mine seems to be triggered by being tired so I tell myself I’m just tired blah blah.

Propranolol definitely helped me but I didn't notice much of a difference until I went to 20mg and it was 3 times a day for me as twice wasn't holding off the anxiety. They don't have a build up effect so you should hopefully feel results soon if they are working for you x
Thanks I'm trying 2x 10 to start and can go to 3 . Just if it takes the edge off. Got to go back in 4 weeks.

I just have to let it pass. I’ve learnt sometimes just taking 10 minutes to myself can help it melt away a little bit. Mine seems to be triggered by being tired so I tell myself I’m just tired blah blah.
I'm tired quite often..but my breathing seems to be there when I'm just sat watching TV:(

• Heart
It really did help to take the edge off for me. Fingers crossed it helps you too as it's a horrible feeling ❤

I'm on propranolol and feel it definitely helps
As others have suggested, distraction is a good technique, even if it's just pottering round the house, certainly helped for me,also puzzles online etc helped too

As a fellow anxiety sufferer I know what you're going through.
I also just want you to know that it WILL be okay and like most things THIS TOO SHALL PASS.
May I recommend meditation and perhaps ASMR on YouTube, it really does help but you need to try to be focussed to allow yourself to relax and get into it. If you do so you can really mellow out and be out like a light.

As for meditation Russell Brand's is quite effective.

Best wishes to you

I've had anxiety for the past few years but lately i've noticed my nerves being bad with the slightest little thing that can trigger it I loss control of my temper anything can set my nerves off anyone with a sense of humour around me I can't cope with

I have notice being around calm people lately helps me and have been listening to the sound of rain and waves and peppermint oil really calms me down, along with ambience music is a must to start my day off does anyone know why i'm like this I have a feeling what its down to but rather not say on a forum.