Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Libbylulu

VIP Member
I’ve tried searching for a post on this so apologies if there is one already.

Currently I’m suffering with very bad anxiety. For months I’ve been waking very early with a suffocating feeling, my chest tight and heart rate high. At first it would go once I got up and kept busy but recently it’s through the day. I can’t think straight and it’s having a huge effect on everything.

I’ve suffered with anxiety and deep depression in the past but this is completely different. It makes me feel as though a huge weight is on my chest. I try deep breathing,exercise, stretching etc but it’s not helping much

How do you deal with anxiety please?

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 14

justmeandmycat

Hello,
Sending you big hugs. I have really bad anxiety (classified as a disabled person due to it). What helps me the most is therapy, but also grounding techniques in between therapy sessions. Breathing doesn’t work well for me for some reason. When I’m really anxious I say affirmations out loud to myself. My favorite one is repeating “I am safe.” I also like having a TV show on the background 24/7 (I was suicidal and anxious for two months straight, bed-ridden in November and December) on days where all I feel is anxiety. Yes, the show is on even when I go to sleep. It gives me added security that someone is there for me. My cat also helped a lot, just having him come up next to me and check in on me kept me alive and calmed me down. I picked up very basic yoga and body scanning. I haven’t done that in a few weeks but I found it helped my heart rate down. Massage therapy if you have access to it. Bubble baths, venting to online friends, getting anti-anxiety medications. They all help. Hope this helps a little. ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 11

LennyBriscoe

VIP Member
I’ve tried searching for a post on this so apologies if there is one already.

Currently I’m suffering with very bad anxiety. For months I’ve been waking very early with a suffocating feeling, my chest tight and heart rate high. At first it would go once I got up and kept busy but recently it’s through the day. I can’t think straight and it’s having a huge effect on everything.

I’ve suffered with anxiety and deep depression in the past but this is completely different. It makes me feel as though a huge weight is on my chest. I try deep breathing,exercise, stretching etc but it’s not helping much

How do you deal with anxiety please?
It’s horrible isn’t it, that overwhelming feeling of panic. I’m prescribed Propranolol daily and it’s been a huge help for me.

For me, it would often be when I first woke up too - my heart would start racing and I’d be swept away with the panic instantly. I have to tell myself, in my head, to calm down as if I’m speaking to someone else, I’m ok and we’ll get to the bottom of what’s going on. I then run through what’s happening that day and the penny will drop when I hit on what it is - sometimes it’s the gym even though I enjoy it or expecting something at work or something connected to my son.

If there’s nothing specific that you can think, could it be linked to uncertainty? We seem to be coming out the other side of the pandemic to the rising cost of living etc. After all we’ve been through, it’s hard not to feel anxious.

Distraction can help if you feel overwhelmed; think about how it felt to be responsible for Sally Webster’s haircut 😳. Seriously though, the technique of thinking about five things you can see, or five people who will email you at work or the last five songs you heard on Spotify may work.

And if there’s anyone you see frequently - even if it’s a friend from work - do you think you could talk to them about it? The mind is a powerful thing but it can do the dirty on you a bit too. Maybe if you had someone to talk to even for a few minutes until the worst passes, it might help.

I certainly benefited from daily medication but I know that’s not for everyone. Good luck.

• Heart
Reactions: 7

Milktray

VIP Member
Does anyone experience bad morning panic attacks? I don't know why, but I've started having panic attacks when I wake up, before I even get out of bed. It feels like an adrenaline rush (the negative kind) with hot+cold flushes, shaking, rapid shallow breathing...all the panic symptoms. It's hard to know what to do when it comes out of nowhere like that.
Me. The minute I wake up, reality hits me like a ton of bricks.
The panic attacks suck. I have health anxiety but not just me, I worry about my family. Like I think I will lose everyone I love. I get intrusive thoughts about symptoms appearing. Its awful.
On my 2nd day of sertraline and waiting for CBT. Its rough.

• Heart
Reactions: 6

btw

How did the graduation go?
It went amazing!! I’m gutted that anxiety clouds so many positive occasions for me and causes so much stress in the run up to events but the day went perfect. I am so glad that I didn’t let my anxiety win and not go because it was a lovely celebration of all our achievements!
Thanks so much for your advice and for checking in again 🥰

• Heart
Reactions: 5

Lord Voldemort

Does anyone else get very loose bowel movements when anxious? Sorry to be graphic but I get diarrhoea or if anxiety is milder, something approaching diarrhoea.
honestly I get this too.
My stomach will feel like a washing machine going round first, then 💩

MrsBsDayOff

VIP Member
Does anyone else get very loose bowel movements when anxious? Sorry to be graphic but I get diarrhoea or if anxiety is milder, something approaching diarrhoea.

lila11

Just wanted to share in case it could help someone, I am currently reading Dare by Barry McDonagh and I find it quite helpful and reassuring. I can’t say if the method will work long term but just reading the first few pages made me feel a bit better. Highly recommend!

ETA: Also if anyone starts reading it and wants an accountability buddy, I am here🙋‍♀️

Libbylulu

VIP Member
Thanks everyone for taking the time to support, offer advice and share experiences. I’ve been given medication and I’m tapping and practicing deep breathing. I’m not as bad today so hopefully things are turning around. I’ve suffered with major depression in the past including a breakdown but this anxiety I’ve been feeling has been horrendous. Much love to those of you who are struggling 💗

• Heart

MrsBsDayOff

VIP Member
Sending love, because the physical symptoms are horrendous ❤

I’m in the same boat at the moment. I’m 28 and I reckon I’ve had anxiety since childhood. Over the past few days I’ve had awful insomnia, my mind is constantly racing, there’s an awful pressure and pain in my chest that won’t go. It’s both physically and mentally exhausting.

The usual “mindfulness” and “breathing exercises” and “take a bath and watch a funny movie” just don’t work at all for me. It’s as if the anxiety is too strong for my mind to concentrate on something else and relax.

I self-referred to a talking therapies centre (via NHS) for CBT a couple of years ago. That didn’t help me at all but I know it’s been beneficial for others. Are you in the UK?

I also plucked up the courage last year to speak to my GP about it and was prescribed sertraline. They didn’t agree with me at all and I now take Propranolol (beta-blocker) and Amitriptyline (antidepressant). I’ve not been on them long enough to say that they help. I’m sure with a lot of medication you feel worse before you start to feel better.

I’m sorry if this post isn’t helpful at all because to answer your question, I don’t deal with anxiety, anxiety deals with me🤣 But I just hope that you know you are not alone and there is plenty of help and support out there, I hope you find something that works for you❤
I felt like I was constantly hungover when my anxiety was bad - exhausted, not able to think straight, weak, felt low. Was hard to try and do my job

• Heart

Jadejones9596

Glad to find this thread, I am struggling at the moment with my anxiety…

Things are going so well in my life I have a promotion, I’m saving money, I’m fitter and most importantly am seeing a lovely guy. Here’s the problem, I’ve been single for 11 years and have not found one decent guy in that time. My heart has been chewed out and spat on and let me tell you this guy is too good to be true.

I’m completely wracked with anxiety mainly surrounding him, thinking it’ll all go wrong. I don’t think I could bounce back from that heartache well.

Anyone experienced similar? Xx

• Heart

Pariszai

Glad to find this thread, I am struggling at the moment with my anxiety…

Things are going so well in my life I have a promotion, I’m saving money, I’m fitter and most importantly am seeing a lovely guy. Here’s the problem, I’ve been single for 11 years and have not found one decent guy in that time. My heart has been chewed out and spat on and let me tell you this guy is too good to be true.

I’m completely wracked with anxiety mainly surrounding him, thinking it’ll all go wrong. I don’t think I could bounce back from that heartache well.

Anyone experienced similar? Xx

Sorry to hear that you're feeling like this. I'm in a similar boat to your but haven't been single for quite as long. On one hand I haven't known this guy for that long, so I feel that surely if it does go wrong it shouldn't take long to get over, but I owing he exists it terrifies me that it might not develop.

Feel on top of the world when I'm with him but as soon as he leaves the anxiety hits again and sticks around even if he's given me nothing but reasons to think he likes me.

Sorry, I have no useful advice, but you're not alone in feeling like this. X

• Heart
Reactions: 4

StatusWoe

VIP Member
Me. The minute I wake up, reality hits me like a ton of bricks.
The panic attacks suck. I have health anxiety but not just me, I worry about my family. Like I think I will lose everyone I love. I get intrusive thoughts about symptoms appearing. Its awful.
On my 2nd day of sertraline and waiting for CBT. Its rough.
Sorry you're feeling bad as well @Milktray. ❤ It's hard to cope with that level of anxiety. I relate to the worries about family too, especially since my mother had some health issues a few years ago. I really hope the sertraline & CBT combo helps you. Also hope that the waiting list isn't too long!

• Heart

Carapop

VIP Member
Not coping. :( I need sleep to feel less anxious, but can't sleep because I'm too anxious. :rolleyes: Health anxiety is through the roof as well. Right now I'm having these muscle twitches in my legs (probably tiredness) and I'm thinking omg what's that?
Try taking magnesium before bed, eating a bananas for the potassium and stay hydrated with enough salt in your diet. Great for muscle spasms.

House of Tea

VIP Member
I have mild anxiety compared to some. Just a shit couple of years have left their mark plus perimenopause. Recently work stresses have really got to me, and I have physical symptoms of stress.

However I read somewhere that a supplement called L-theanine can help. So I bought some a week ago. And I have to report, it’s working. Never expected it to, but I feel calmer than I have done in years. It works immediately and the dose is 200mg, it’s cheapish, it’s non habit forming, and you can take it in the morning or night - I take it at night (8pm ish) so that I am calm when I go to bed. I still have worries but they are manageable and they feel a bit removed. They don’t make you spaced out or drowsy, just on a more even keel. The only drawback is if you have blood pressure issues - can’t remember if it’s low or high blood pressure, but you might want to look that up if you are minded to investigate. I am happy to recommend these. Surprised, but pleased!

Suzesnooze

VIP Member
Hi all,
I posted a few weeks back about an “anxiety attack” type thing I had at work. It hasn’t happened to that extent again but the chest pains have continued almost every day I’m at work and I just don’t know what to do.
I thought it was related to a stressful project but that ended a couple of weeks ago. I hoped I would feel better and I did for a few days. But then the tightness resumed. It’s still a busy time at work but it always is at this time of year. I keep thinking it’ll be fine in a couple of weeks when the busy period is over. But now I’m just scared it’ll go on and on. I have amazing colleagues who I like spending time with but I just constantly feel like I need to get out of the office and off my computer. I’m just rambling now. I don’t know how to help myself tbh and just want to cry all the time 😕
That’s anxiety for you. It’s a powerful beast. It sounds like the first one scared you that much you’re now in fear of it happening again hence being tense and the chest pain is probably imagined. The brain is powerful, it can make you experience pain. Distraction is the key. Some people wear a rubber band on their wrist and pull it so it keeps twanging against the wrist.

You are obviously stressed. There is no easy fix with anxiety but getting enough sleep and eating well and exercise helps. You need to try not to let the thoughts enter your head. When you get the chest pain try to distract yourself by talking to a colleague etc. Being alone with your thoughts makes it worse.

My daughter has anxiety like me but she went through a stage of chest pain everyday. She kept panicking she was having a heart attack. But eventually she stopped getting the chest pain but she moved on to another health problem which was headaches. That’s how anxiety works. You get over one ‘obsession’ but it’s replaced by another. ☹

• Heart
  • Sad

aidil

VIP Member
I second what @Ingognito.Queen says! I often find that I get so consumed with my anxiety that the time runs away from me and then I get even more anxious because I’m rushing! So as silly as it sounds, I write down a step by step plan to the day with what I’m doing at each time. And focus on what time I will be able to relax again so I always have it in my head to look forward to.

That moment when you graduate is literally a few seconds, it will be over before you know it.

I think it may be worth you speaking to your doctor beforehand if you can? They can prescribe things like Propranolol for occasions like this to take the edge off. I use it regularly for acute anxiety flare ups and it just keeps the physical symptoms in check so you don’t feel so flustered! You want to be able to enjoy some of this moment because it sounds like you’ve worked so hard for it! 💜

• Heart

btw

Interviews can be very difficult even when you are in a good place mentally. Ask yourself why it went terribly without beating yourself up. Be objective, and look for ways you can better prepare next time.

Sometimes it’s just not your fault and the lack of connection with the interviewer or the vibe they put out can make you needlessly feel badly about yourself. Try to put a bit of a wall up to that, it’s not personal! Some interviewers are power tripping and enjoy making people squirm. See past that. You are qualified and a great potential employee otherwise you wouldn’t be sitting there.

A few things that may help in the future…

* practice answering sample questions, there is a lot of guidance online on how to answer well. Repeat until the answers come easily

* remind yourself that yes you are being interviewed but you’re also there to see if they are a good fit for you. Takes some pressure off as the focus isn’t just on your performance. Have some questions you can ask the interviewer at the end (again, there are examples online of what is appropriate to ask, such as “what’s your favourite thing about working here?” Or “what is the work dynamic here, is it more independent or collaborative?” )

*when you first meet and if you’re feeling visibly nervous, let them know. Don’t dwell, but just say I apologize if I sound nervous. I am excited for this opportunity so thank you for having me.

*it can feel demoralizing to have rejection after an interview, but remember that many people get interviewed and more people get rejected than accepted. It’s not personal and it’s not just you who feels nervous or upset by the process. It’s hard but the more interviews you have, the better you become at them.
Thankyou, these are really helpful pieces of advice.
However, after crying all afternoon thinking it was a terrible interview. I GOT THE JOB😀
I’m more happy about the fact I won’t need to attend any interviews anytime soon rather then the fact I got the job 😂

• Heart

Pinhead Larry

Chatty Member
Has anyone ever had something happen months ago but it brews to the surface every single time anything happens and makes you want to cry uncontrollably for about a week? Even tho you’ve already sorted the issue out with the person?

Something happened during an argument with my bf months ago which knocked my self esteem to rock bottom. We’ve since made up and got a lot stronger as a couple, but if something happens now that causes an argument, all the feelings of self hate and anxiety brew to the surface and I feel really low.

How do you get over things?

• Sad