Dealing with Anxiety

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi all,
I posted a few weeks back about an “anxiety attack” type thing I had at work. It hasn’t happened to that extent again but the chest pains have continued almost every day I’m at work and I just don’t know what to do.
I thought it was related to a stressful project but that ended a couple of weeks ago. I hoped I would feel better and I did for a few days. But then the tightness resumed. It’s still a busy time at work but it always is at this time of year. I keep thinking it’ll be fine in a couple of weeks when the busy period is over. But now I’m just scared it’ll go on and on. I have amazing colleagues who I like spending time with but I just constantly feel like I need to get out of the office and off my computer. I’m just rambling now. I don’t know how to help myself tbh and just want to cry all the time 😕

Hi all,
I posted a few weeks back about an “anxiety attack” type thing I had at work. It hasn’t happened to that extent again but the chest pains have continued almost every day I’m at work and I just don’t know what to do.
I thought it was related to a stressful project but that ended a couple of weeks ago. I hoped I would feel better and I did for a few days. But then the tightness resumed. It’s still a busy time at work but it always is at this time of year. I keep thinking it’ll be fine in a couple of weeks when the busy period is over. But now I’m just scared it’ll go on and on. I have amazing colleagues who I like spending time with but I just constantly feel like I need to get out of the office and off my computer. I’m just rambling now. I don’t know how to help myself tbh and just want to cry all the time 😕
Sorry you feel crap. How you help yourself is to go to a GP. It’s probably stress related but if it is a physical thing they can advise you either way.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Hi all,
That’s anxiety for you. It’s a powerful beast. It sounds like the first one scared you that much you’re now in fear of it happening again hence being tense and the chest pain is probably imagined. The brain is powerful, it can make you experience pain. Distraction is the key. Some people wear a rubber band on their wrist and pull it so it keeps twanging against the wrist.

You are obviously stressed. There is no easy fix with anxiety but getting enough sleep and eating well and exercise helps. You need to try not to let the thoughts enter your head. When you get the chest pain try to distract yourself by talking to a colleague etc. Being alone with your thoughts makes it worse.

My daughter has anxiety like me but she went through a stage of chest pain everyday. She kept panicking she was having a heart attack. But eventually she stopped getting the chest pain but she moved on to another health problem which was headaches. That’s how anxiety works. You get over one ‘obsession’ but it’s replaced by another. ☹

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 4
Wise words from @Suzesnooze - I had bad anxiety last year. Felt like my throat was constricting and that someone was trying to strangle me. I ended up having an MRI scan because I had a parent with throat cancer. It was scary, debilitating and uncomfortable. I have got rid of it now, took almost a year, but if I have a minor stress, my throat starts to tighten. That is where I process stress. My husband gets stomach issues when he has anxieties. I also suffer from insomnia when I get anxious which exacerbates the issue.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Sorry you feel crap. How you help yourself is to go to a GP. It’s probably stress related but if it is a physical thing they can advise you either way.
Thank you. I’ve never been to a doctor for mental health related issues. What would they actually suggest, do you think? Therapy I guess?

You are obviously stressed.
Thanks Suze 💙 This part really stood out to me because I keep telling myself I’m not stressed now the project is over. And this current period is the the same every year. It’s like I feel like I shouldn’t be stressed right now because I can usually get on with it. There are certain colleagues who make it worse by the volume/tone of their voice which is why I want to get out of there a lot of the time. I’ve spoken to my manager who says I need to see occupational health if it continues. I think I feel silly for making a fuss over “nothing” as the pain isn’t debilitating and I know it’s not a physical issue

• Heart
Mental health issues are just as important as a physical issue. Just because you can’t see it, like a broken leg, doesn’t mean it isn’t debilitating and important to get checked out. It isn’t silly to try and be in the best health as possible and this problem is affecting you. For anxiety they may prescribe CBT. But go and see your GP. There is a stress epidemic in this country at the moment and they are used to seeing patients with stress all the time. Plus they might want to give you a heart check etc. Your occupational health would also be able to help you with coping mechanisms if it is stress. No shame in seeing them. Plus look online as well - but not instead of seeing a GP. See what things you can do in the short term to help you.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Thank you. I’ve never been to a doctor for mental health related issues. What would they actually suggest, do you think? Therapy I guess?

Thanks Suze 💙 This part really stood out to me because I keep telling myself I’m not stressed now the project is over. And this current period is the the same every year. It’s like I feel like I shouldn’t be stressed right now because I can usually get on with it. There are certain colleagues who make it worse by the volume/tone of their voice which is why I want to get out of there a lot of the time. I’ve spoken to my manager who says I need to see occupational health if it continues. I think I feel silly for making a fuss over “nothing” as the pain isn’t debilitating and I know it’s not a physical issue
You can take medication for anxiety eg. Sertraline but it can take 6 weeks to kick in and often makes you feel worse before it makes you feel better. Or you may be offered CBT. I would take up the offer to see Occupational Health. But you are not making a fuss over nothing.

I’m in my 50’s now. I’ve suffered with anxiety since childhood. As I got older it turned into health anxiety and I hate health anxiety ! I have had good periods and bad but I have never been to the Dr about it. I do have two family members who took medication and had CBT. It didn’t really help.

Last year I started a new job that I absolutely love. It has made a huge difference and touch wood, my anxiety has been SO much better but I hate to say it out loud as I fear I will jinx it! But when I look back over my lifetime of anxiety I have realised that the times my anxiety went away were periods in my life when I was really happy and content. I’m not saying this is the same for everyone but it’s a pattern I’ve noticed. But life is so stressful at the moment i’m not surprised more and more people are suffering with mental health problems.

My daughter has also noticed the same thing that when she’s happy or busy and having a good social life her anxiety is better. But that’s why I talk about distraction.

There is no easy fix and anxiety is a viscous circle. But I hope some day soon you’re going through a good phase 🤞

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Hi everyone, my 7 year old boy has started becoming really anxious about dying lately and I don't know what to do. He's really scared about it and gets terribly upset telling me his worries. Is there something I can do to ease his worries? I'm so upset that he's feeling this way at such a young age

• Sad
Hi everyone, my 7 year old boy has started becoming really anxious about dying lately and I don't know what to do. He's really scared about it and gets terribly upset telling me his worries. Is there something I can do to ease his worries? I'm so upset that he's feeling this way at such a young age
Sorry to hear this. Can sympathize. At his age maybe something like a worry monster can help? It's a little teddy with a zip mouth. He writes down his worries before bed and the worry monster "eats" the worries while he is sleeping. It helped us with our boy at that age. Or a "worry spray"? We used water with lavender drops to spray away his worries before sleeping.
Sending you hugs. It's good that he is telling you too xx

Sorry to hear this. Can sympathize. At his age maybe something like a worry monster can help? It's a little teddy with a zip mouth. He writes down his worries before bed and the worry monster "eats" the worries while he is sleeping. It helped us with our boy at that age. Or a "worry spray"? We used water with lavender drops to spray away his worries before sleeping.
Sending you hugs. It's good that he is telling you too xx
They're great ideas I never would have thought of them. Thank you x

• Heart
Hi all.
Been really struggling recently With some physical symptoms of what I think must be anxiety/stress.

I have an insanely stressful job at times (work in a nursery, with under 2s, that is often under staffed, is in an old building so badly laid out, and with a lot of responsibility) and I think it has just made me so anxious and on edge. I hate the rushing around to pick kids up around a full time job. It is a huge stress for me and I am always anxious about it.

I’ve recently had to be off sick after a breast reduction which honestly has been an amazing change. I hoped it would fix my tension headaches, but it hasn’t… I have had so many headaches since, wake up with them, go to bed with them. They are by no means as bad as they were before the reduction, before they would make me feel sick and I would have to just lay down but now I can move through them at least.

I think I’m anxious about going back to work as I know it’s going to be stressful. I know the whole pick up drop off chaos is going to be stressful too.

I don’t know if it’s worth going to a doctor… I just feel like it can’t be that serious but I am so tired of feeling like this 🫤 anxiety is an absolute witch.

I just really needed to vent this out… thanks for listening.

• Heart
Hi all x

I suffer from anxiety, always have and I've had counselling several times over the years which has help but I've started having panic attacks and my anxiety is all the time, out of control, struggling to concentrate at work / life!

It started badly about 6 weeks ago when I went to a party and bad habits by Ed Sheeran came on and I had a massive panic attack and started crying.. i was in a coma a few years ago due to covid (I've mentioned this a few times on tattle) and it's one of the things I remember from being in icu and since then I've not been ok.

I just feel like I should be over it all and I should be able to listen to a song without feeling extremely triggered by it all and since then I've been struggling every day. I've had trauma counselling for my icu stay etc and I thought I was over it and I was doing well given it's been a few years?!! I just feel like it's a major set back and it's been on my mind.

My therapy is starting again on Wednesday and I've got a gp appt tomorrow to hopefully get some medication for my anxiety - I've heard awful things about sertreline ??? Can anyone recommend anything else. I'm also making sure I go back to the gym as I stopped going for 2 weeks and my head has been in the bin!

Really glad I've found this thread xx ♥

• Heart
Hi all x

I suffer from anxiety, always have and I've had counselling several times over the years which has help but I've started having panic attacks and my anxiety is all the time, out of control, struggling to concentrate at work / life!

It started badly about 6 weeks ago when I went to a party and bad habits by Ed Sheeran came on and I had a massive panic attack and started crying.. i was in a coma a few years ago due to covid (I've mentioned this a few times on tattle) and it's one of the things I remember from being in icu and since then I've not been ok.

I just feel like I should be over it all and I should be able to listen to a song without feeling extremely triggered by it all and since then I've been struggling every day. I've had trauma counselling for my icu stay etc and I thought I was over it and I was doing well given it's been a few years?!! I just feel like it's a major set back and it's been on my mind.

My therapy is starting again on Wednesday and I've got a gp appt tomorrow to hopefully get some medication for my anxiety - I've heard awful things about sertreline ??? Can anyone recommend anything else. I'm also making sure I go back to the gym as I stopped going for 2 weeks and my head has been in the bin!

Really glad I've found this thread xx ♥
Sending you lots of love!

I was prescribed antidepressants after having a massive burn-out two years ago but *shocking* was very anxious to go down the medication road. My GP suggested saffron and it really helped. November last year I had really though time again and felt much better after a few weeks of taking saffron again. Maybe ask your GP about it?

Sending you lots of love!

I was prescribed antidepressants after having a massive burn-out two years ago but *shocking* was very anxious to go down the medication road. My GP suggested saffron and it really helped. November last year I had really though time again and felt much better after a few weeks of taking saffron again. Maybe ask your GP about it?
Oh wow - thank you. I really didn't want to go down medication and I'm all for natural remedies!!!! How much do you take? Where do you buy it from! Thank you xx

Oh wow - thank you. I really didn't want to go down medication and I'm all for natural remedies!!!! How much do you take? Where do you buy it from! Thank you xx
I would take 30mg every day. I bought it online but it’s also available in store in my country. The brand I used is called Zafranpure. Hope it can help you!

I would take 30mg every day. I bought it online but it’s also available in store in my country. The brand I used is called Zafranpure. Hope it can help you!
Thank you ♥ I've ordered some and picking it up from town tomorrow!! I'd rather take a natural product than anything else and see how I get on. I had the worse night sleep ever, I was up every hour and I can't carry on like this, hope the gp can give me something short term for my insomnia 🙃

• Sad
How do I stop over thinking. I’m in a fairly common for me overthinking cycle. I have a message from someone and feel the tone is ‘off’. I’m not close to them. Objectively I know I have done nothing wrong and if they don’t like or have issue with me regardless, it should not really matter to me. Yet here I am wondering what I could’ve done, thinking possible ways to change plans to avoid them etc. how I get past this?

• Heart
Thank you ♥ I've ordered some and picking it up from town tomorrow!! I'd rather take a natural product than anything else and see how I get on. I had the worse night sleep ever, I was up every hour and I can't carry on like this, hope the gp can give me something short term for my insomnia 🙃
Keep us updated!🙂

Any advice would be appreciated. I've been really struggling with anxiety and catastrophising about the future. I'm single and moved abroad a few years ago. Barely have a pension, have some money saved but no property, no investments etc and am just so worried that I'm going to have to do life alone and have to look after myself and that I don't have the means. It's sent me into a depression and I just don't know how to get out. I'm on medication now and my third counsellor but I just have no strategies or ways to stop this thinking and get out of this cycle. It's so overwhelming and I just don't enjoy life anymore as I'm worried of what will happen to me 😞

Thinking of everyone else who is struggling. Wish we could feel happy and carefree like others seem to

Any advice would be appreciated. I've been really struggling with anxiety and catastrophising about the future. I'm single and moved abroad a few years ago. Barely have a pension, have some money saved but no property, no investments etc and am just so worried that I'm going to have to do life alone and have to look after myself and that I don't have the means. It's sent me into a depression and I just don't know how to get out. I'm on medication now and my third counsellor but I just have no strategies or ways to stop this thinking and get out of this cycle. It's so overwhelming and I just don't enjoy life anymore as I'm worried of what will happen to me 😞

Thinking of everyone else who is struggling. Wish we could feel happy and carefree like others seem to
Sending you love❤

Firstly I would say, 'happy and carefree like others seem to' - please never compare your life to anyone else's as you don't know how they really feel behind closed doors. I know it's easier said than done, but remember if you're comparing yourself to social media, people only post their highlights! It can make you feel like you're doing life wrong, but I promise everyone has their ups and downs.

I wish I could give you some advice, or there was an easy solution to how you're feeling. You could maybe set yourself small targets (financial, social etc) so that you start to feel a sense of achievement. I think you're looking at the future under a dark cloud at the moment, but just remember that some of our best days haven't even happened yet. Nobody knows what the future holds, but I do know that usually whatever we worry about never happens. I think start doing some fun activities to take your mind off the worry and start enjoying your present, rather than worrying about your future.

• Heart