Coronavirus issues - what are you cancelling, changing, buying?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m just carrying on as normal for now. Nothing against anyone who is stocking up on things, it’s personal choice. I’ve just decided to only worry if necessary and right now, I don’t feel it is

Reactions: 13
I haven’t really changed anything yet except I saw something about stockpiling nappies so I bought a couple of spare packs. If worse comes to worst that’s one thing I can’t do without with a toddler. I need some toilet rolls anyway so I’ll buy a pack, aside from that I think I’m good

It’s crazy seeing everyone out stockpiling. I went to Boots and Superdrug today and saw people just buying paracetamol, calpol, tissues, cold medicine, etc. I think there was no hand sanitiser available. It really set off my anxiety

It is 0really making me question society at the moment. Seeing people stock pile and having an "I'm alright jack" attitude, and putting vulnerable groups even more at risk of not being able to purchase essentials. Social media has played a massive role in the whole hysteria going about at the moment. Going back to other 'crisis' swine flu, mad cow etc social media wasn't as widely used. Really do think government needs to release some clear/precise advice/updates before things escalate quickly

Reactions: 16
I’m just carrying on as normal for now. Nothing against anyone who is stocking up on things, it’s personal choice. I’ve just decided to only worry if necessary and right now, I don’t feel it is
I always say if it's meant for you ,it won't pass you...no point worrying over things you can't change..

Reactions: 7
Im not changing anything, if it happens to me then it happens. Antibac won’t kill a virus, and unless my flight to Munich is cancelled then I’m still going😂

Reactions: 5
It’s getting utterly ridiculous that basic things like loo roll and paracetamol are completely selling out. What the actual hell are people playing at! Buy one extra of everything if you like not 4 or 5. Honestly we need to think about everyone here. I would imagine a lot of people stocking up are not in the vulnerable categories either..

Reactions: 11
I’m genuinely baffled as to what people are buying more toilet roll for? Medicines and soap I do understand (although I don’t agree with it), but how the hell is toilet roll going to help coronavirus? Same with pasta/rice?

Reactions: 6
I’m genuinely baffled as to what people are buying more toilet roll for? Medicines and soap I do understand (although I don’t agree with it), but how the hell is toilet roll going to help coronavirus? Same with pasta/rice?
In case they have to quarantine themselves for 2+ weeks, so they have food and toilet paper. I am not sure what is hard to grasp. Haha.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I haven't changed anything. I haven't stock pilled any food or toiletries. I think the only thing that its stopping me from doing is booking our holiday abroad.

Reactions: 5
In case they have to quarantine themselves for 2+ weeks, so they have food and toilet paper. I am not sure what is hard to grasp. Haha.
But there seem to be some people who are going WAY overboard with it- I saw someone walking out of Poundstretcher with 8 packs of 16 toilet rolls yesterday- who needs 128 toilet rolls in 2 weeks?! I also think it was irresponsible of Poundstretcher to let that happen!

• Haha
Reactions: 17
I’ve always been a food/supplies hoarder. I don’t worry about any impending doom but when I had my kitchen extended and cupboards fitted I got about double the amount of cupboards I needed so that I could hoard. I always have at least 20 500g bags of pasta and a few 5kg bags of rice, 30 or 40 tins of beans, 30 tins of soup (bizarre because I do a large pot of fresh soup every week) and tomatoes as well as bags of pulses, tinned kidney beans and chickpeas. In the fridge there are several blocks of cheese and 6 blocks of butter. There would also be in excess of 100, probably nearer 200 tins of fizzy pop. 10 boxes of cereal and six or seven multipacks of crisps.

Soap, toilet roll, washing powder, toiletries....always a few months supply. When I buy deodorant etc I buy 6 at a time.

I don’t panic buy because I always have far too much in anyway.

We do use up the stuff. Last year I tried to let it run down and only did asda about 3 times and Costco once. I’ve also done food bank runs when I’ve gone overboard.

As a child we weren’t poor but my mother kept the cupboards pretty bare and we regularly ran out of basics such as toilet roll or shampoo and it made me worry...so it’s not difficult to see why I do it.

I only have a single small hand sanitiser though. I don’t use it because I regularly wash my hands with soap and hot water. I only have the one I have because they were handed out at work.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 9

Yel

I'm having a nightmare, my freezer is so stuffed it wasn't closed properly last night, and is a cheap one without an alert thing 😬 it's all covered in condensation and things are squishy

All that yummy food for the lockdown is a bit defrosted. I'm going to eat the bits by the door then top it all up and try to pretend all my burritos are fine to eat and try my best to enjoy it 😂

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 8
I’ve got an extra tub of formula, 2 children’s cough medicine, 2 calpols and 2 boxes of teething granules. I feel a lot better now that I’ve got these few extra bits and it’s stuff that we do use anyway and I think people will go mad buying things for children (medicine, nappies, formula) then think about getting adult ones so I wanted to make sure I had it covered. I get WGAC toilet roll so I’ve got that in bulk anyway. Morrison’s was well stocked and I haven’t looked at the Tesco but there hasn’t been any cases near me yet so I don’t think people are panicking yet

Reactions: 1
What’s hard to grasp is why people are buying lots of the big multiple packs? For only a few weeks quarantine? It’s ridiculous and selfish lmao.

But there seem to be some people who are going WAY overboard with it- I saw someone walking out of Poundstretcher with 8 packs of 16 toilet rolls yesterday- who needs 128 toilet rolls in 2 weeks?! I also think it was irresponsible of Poundstretcher to let that happen!
Yep thank you!! Didn’t really appreciate being made to feel like an idiot and laughed at when being in quarantine for two weeks doesn’t justify the amount individuals are buying! People buying so much extra are just selfish

Reactions: 12
It is 0really making me question society at the moment. Seeing people stock pile and having an "I'm alright jack" attitude, and putting vulnerable groups even more at risk of not being able to purchase essentials. Social media has played a massive role in the whole hysteria going about at the moment. Going back to other 'crisis' swine flu, mad cow etc social media wasn't as widely used. Really do think government needs to release some clear/precise advice/updates before things escalate quickly
I hope food banks aren't affected with people panic buying and not donating/empty shelflves so nothing to donate

Reactions: 9
I’ve always been a food/supplies hoarder. I don’t worry about any impending doom but when I had my kitchen extended and cupboards fitted I got about double the amount of cupboards I needed so that I could hoard. I always have at least 20 500g bags of pasta and a few 5kg bags of rice, 30 or 40 tins of beans, 30 tins of soup (bizarre because I do a large pot of fresh soup every week) and tomatoes as well as bags of pulses, tinned kidney beans and chickpeas. In the fridge there are several blocks of cheese and 6 blocks of butter. There would also be in excess of 100, probably nearer 200 tins of fizzy pop. 10 boxes of cereal and six or seven multipacks of crisps.

Soap, toilet roll, washing powder, toiletries....always a few months supply. When I buy deodorant etc I buy 6 at a time.

I don’t panic buy because I always have far too much in anyway.

We do use up the stuff. Last year I tried to let it run down and only did asda about 3 times and Costco once. I’ve also done food bank runs when I’ve gone overboard.

As a child we weren’t poor but my mother kept the cupboards pretty bare and we regularly ran out of basics such as toilet roll or shampoo and it made me worry...so it’s not difficult to see why I do it.

I only have a single small hand sanitiser though. I don’t use it because I regularly wash my hands with soap and hot water. I only have the one I have because they were handed out at work.
Where are you located? In a few weeks you might have to open as a shop! ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Where are you located? In a few weeks you might have to open as a shop! ;)
The empty shelves would give me nightmares.

I go really weird when I’m filling bags from my cupboards for the food bank. I’d better off going to the supermarket and doing a trolley for the fb.

Last time I did it for the food bank after a radio appeal I filled 6 bags and could not see a difference in my cupboards but felt really strange about it. It was only guilt that stopped me putting all the stuff back.

It’s getting utterly ridiculous that basic things like loo roll and paracetamol are completely selling out. What the actual hell are people playing at! Buy one extra of everything if you like not 4 or 5. Honestly we need to think about everyone here. I would imagine a lot of people stocking up are not in the vulnerable categories either..
Totally! Some people, like those of us with a bowel condition, really need plenty of loo roll on hand. These people stockpiling stuff are making problems for other people. They don't even need it, coronavirus does not cause torrential diarrhoea!! I wish people would calm down and just buy what they actually need, as they would in normal circumstances - stop creating problems for other people.

Reactions: 10