Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #90

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm confused, I thought the surge was the south Africa variant or are there other surges - I only saw reports of mass testing in Lambeth and Wandsworth and that's for the SA variant.
The P1 is the Brazilian variant. Maybe he is referring to the wrong one. Below that tweet there was this reply so it seems there aren’t that many cases of it currently. I don’t know how trustworthy these sources are...

70465D44-E81D-4D38-B824-7CC70B6A6D17.jpeg

Last edited:
Torygraph bashing WFH for their beloved chancellor.....

Parts of interest to me are......

It's usually India that gets mentioned. Companies in the past did just this in moving jobs abroad to hire staff cheaper (such as call centres) and it didn't work out and they soon had to reverse it. Can someone from Bulgaria speak the language just as good? Build up knowledge of your local area just as much? Visit a customer in person just as easily? Would a company want to spend time and money hiring new staff abroad and trying to get them trained up when they cannot see them in person?

It's a good impact on the environment if the government care as much as they say about going green. Just because people aren't travelling to work doesn't mean they aren't travelling somewhere else. The money saved might be spent on more commuting on a weekend as a family.

I reckon more mental health gets ruined spending thousands of pounds a year and hundreds of hours a year to do a job you can do at home. They seem to think the money saved on overpriced coffees and unreliable public transport will be missed and the government are in a panic. All that happens is the money gets spent somewhere else. People can afford a better car, better home with more space, better holidays etc. You're just shifting money from some industries and pumping more in to others.
it’s the new Industrial Revolution … or taking a step back to how people worked in the main before the old one.
If you wait long enough, most things come back round again as a new idea.

Reactions: 1
My company outsourced a lot to India and to be honest it's been a disaster. However, they save 20k per employee compared to hiring in the UK so they're ploughing on and don't seem to care so I can see this continuing to happen 🙁
The industry I'm hoping to go into (currently at uni) does this a lot from talking to current peeps already in industry. Its very shocking because its exploitation and greed fuelled.

Still intending to be vaccinating for the next couple of years if this deals anything to go by
Oh yes we will probably have to be vaccinated for the rest of our lives because rich people making billions in industries like pharma won't want to give it up.

After an higher than normal total last week due to a few days catching up from the bank holiday weekend, we are back to our lowest total based on the previous weeks :)

Reactions: 5
The P1 is the Brazilian variant. Maybe he is referring to the wrong one. Below that tweet there was this reply so it seems there aren’t that many cases of it currently. I don’t know how trustworthy these sources are...

View attachment 529096
Hence my remark about how it looks with numbers across the UK rather than something local.

Also he is talking only about a report from 2 weeks ago so it seems not to be by mistake, just a couple of weeks* out of date and looks not to be referncing Lambeth/Wandsworth at all.

Our mistake was to think he was referring to the present.

* 'just a couple of weeks', 'only a flesh wound', 'just a waffair thiiin miiint' etc.

Hence my remark about how it looks with numbers across the UK rather than something local.

Also he is talking only about a report from 2 weeks ago so it seems not to be by mistake, just a couple of weeks* out of date and looks not to be referncing Lambeth/Wandsworth at all.

* 'just a couple of weeks', 'only a flesh wound', 'just a waffair thiiin miiint' etc.
I don’t know how he came to the conclusion that the Brazilian P1 variant is the fastest surging variant in the UK.

Went down for surge testing this morning, test site opens 8am so I turned up at 7:50 after my flatmate was queuing for 2 hrs at another surge site yesterday. Had at least 100 people ahead of me even then, felt bad for the many more people who joined the queue after me as it doubled pretty soon. The queue wasn't really moving as, same as my flatmate's experience yesterday, the "test site" was literally two guys and a van 😂

Thankfully I lucked out, as after 40 minutes in the same place in the queue some sort of manager decided to start also doing surge PCR tests in the hall, where normally they just do pre-booked lateral flow tests. Me, the person in front of me, and a few others got directed there first so tbh the other 100 people ahead of me could still be waiting for the van, by the pace it was going. In this hall they had about 10 manned testing stations, so don't know how they thought they could handle the surge demand with the 2 person van alone.

In the end I was 5 minutes late for work after a speed walk home, but not too bad. 🤷‍♀️ I feel bad for everyone who ran to the site though, saw so many people freezing cold after the unexpected 45 min+ wait in just leggings & a top

Reactions: 5
Went down for surge testing this morning, test site opens 8am so I turned up at 7:50 after my flatmate was queuing for 2 hrs at another surge site yesterday. Had at least 100 people ahead of me even then, felt bad for the many more people who joined the queue after me as it doubled pretty soon. The queue wasn't really moving as, same as my flatmate's experience yesterday, the "test site" was literally two guys and a van 😂

Thankfully I lucked out, as after 40 minutes in the same place in the queue some sort of manager decided to start also doing surge PCR tests in the hall, where normally they just do pre-booked lateral flow tests. Me, the person in front of me, and a few others got directed there first so tbh the other 100 people ahead of me could still be waiting for the van, by the pace it was going. In this hall they had about 10 manned testing stations, so don't know how they thought they could handle the surge demand with the 2 person van alone.

In the end I was 5 minutes late for work after a speed walk home, but not too bad. 🤷‍♀️ I feel bad for everyone who ran to the site though, saw so many people freezing cold after the unexpected 45 min+ wait in just leggings & a top
What’s the plan for this PCR then? Are you all meant to isolate until you get results?

Reactions: 2
I don’t know how he came to the conclusion that the Brazilian P1 variant is the fastest surging variant in the UK.
Those two graphs, looked at in a particular timeframe, give numbers that technically mean that for that period its frequency of appearance in samples was the fasest growing.
(TBH I didn't check all the numbers but that's basically it)

As for his 'P1 surging' claim that's just definitely overdramatic and I would be silly to disagree with the factcheckers anyway.
The situation is like someone getting pulled up for saying OMG numbers doubled when something went from 1 to 2.

What’s the plan for this PCR then? Are you all meant to isolate until you get results?
You would think they would have to isolate until the results were known I thought the whole point was to keep it contained ? it was an outbreak in a care home that prompted it in the first place the person that originally brought it into the country did isolate but it was their family carried it into the care home.

Those two graphs, looked at in a particular timeframe, give numbers that technically mean that for that period its frequency of appearance in samples was the fasest growing.
(TBH I didn't check all the numbers but that's basically it)

As for his 'P1 surging' claim that's just definitely overdramatic and I would be silly to disagree with the factcheckers anyway.
The situation is like someone getting pulled up for saying OMG numbers doubled when something went from 1 to 2.
I didn’t even bother to have a proper look as it felt a bit dramatic and no need really for it. I tend not to pay too much attention to things that are not fact checked or from trustworthy sources.

At long last they’re to ease the restrictions

More surge testing

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
Totally agree!!

Not related but there is so many things that will now impact people’s lives apart from Covid that mean we can’t just keep being locked up. My husbands nan looks likely to pass this week (not because of Covid) but because of lockdown he hasn’t seen her since Christmas 2019. It’s heartbreaking. There is a bigger picture of life now but I fear we’ve become so fixated on Covid we are in danger of forgetting that.
100% agree with this. As I’ve mentioned before, my papa recently died. I haven’t seen him in a year because of COVID, and now he’s not here. I won’t be so strict anymore - like if my mum asks me to her house for dinner I will go. I’m not living my life like this anymore. Grieving alone has been really difficult too (fully understand I’m not the only person in this position)

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 33
100% agree with this. As I’ve mentioned before, my papa recently died. I haven’t seen him in a year because of COVID, and now he’s not here. I won’t be so strict anymore - like if my mum asks me to her house for dinner I will go. I’m not living my life like this anymore. Grieving alone has been really difficult too (fully understand I’m not the only person in this position)
I’m sorry to hear this - it’s terrible isn’t it. Sadly my husbands Nan had passed now - he missed her by 10 minutes 😭. He is with his dad now and in his house etc which I’m sorry but Covid or not you need family at times like this don’t you.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 16
I’m sorry to hear this - it’s terrible isn’t it. Sadly my husbands Nan had passed now - he missed her by 10 minutes 😭. He is with his dad now and in his house etc which I’m sorry but Covid or not you need family at times like this don’t you.
Sorry to your husband too. It’s really difficult, hope he’s okay. Yes definitely, there’s a real human cost to all of this. I think we are all adults, and able to make our own decisions which balance the risk and our own mental health. I won’t be doing anything silly like going to parties or anything, but if I want to go to my mums house, or my best friends house for dinner or a cuppa then I’ll be going!

Reactions: 6
Sorry to your husband too. It’s really difficult, hope he’s okay. Yes definitely, there’s a real human cost to all of this. I think we are all adults, and able to make our own decisions which balance the risk and our own mental health. I won’t be doing anything silly like going to parties or anything, but if I want to go to my mums house, or my best friends house for dinner or a cuppa then I’ll be going!
That’s it - it comes to a point when we should be able to risk assess ourselves in certain situations - as adults. My husband doesn’t live near his family so it’s not like the can do it often anyway, and needs this time!

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.