Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #81

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've never commented on Tattle before but I just want a little rant. I can't stop crying about how unfair everything is right now and seeing that Cpt Tom had his "family around him" has just spiralled me.

My husband died 3 months ago today from Covid and he wasn't "allowed" family around him. After alot of begging and pleading, our 7 yr old son was allowed to go in...alone...to say goodbye and hold his dads hand one last time.

I wish so badly I barged my way in and fought everyone who tried to stop me. My husband is just a number to everyone now and it all feels so....heartless and like I'm meant to just get on with life like nothings happened because well SO many people have died obviously 🙄🤷‍♀️.

Why is Tom allowed such a privilege and why are the news flaunting that in peoples faces who are already suffering with depression / grief?!

😬 sorry for my little outburst. I'm coping for anyone wondering, I'm a strong person - but this is a huge kick in my lady balls!
Oh GabCat, I’m so sorry for you and your son on the loss of your husband and daddy. 7 is no age to lose a parent. Well done for fighting for him to get to say his goodbyes but I’m so sorry he had to do it alone and that you couldn’t go with him. Your husband must have been young too, so very sad. I hope you are ok, I think all of us on here completely understand how hard it must be for you to see about Captain Tom’s family. Thinking of you x

Thankyou for being so kind. It means the world.

On a lighter note, something that made me smile in a dark time of my life - whilst my son was holding hubbys hand he told him "daddy you're squeezing my hand too tight and it's going to make me fart!". My husband managed a chuckle at that.

My son is doing well, he's acting extremely brave and he's taking care of ME! I'm very proud and he's keeping me from getting into a rut. X
That’s a lovely memory to cherish in such difficult times.
Children are amazing. My son was 2.5 when my mum died and I don’t know what I’d have done without him, he gave me a reason to continue and made me smile every day. Your son sounds like a wonderful little boy x

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
It may differ between hospitals but I know of two families who have been able to say goodbye to their relatives in person if they are dying from covid. They may only visit the hospital once and they then have to isolate for 10 days after.

Edited to add - these were recent deaths. One passed away last weekend and the family were allowed in last week. And the other in December.
That was our experience. We were told we would be allowed to visit in person but would have to isolate for 14 days afterwards. We decided the isolation aspect wouldn't work for us so chose to say goodbye a different way.
I don't think Capt Tom and his family are getting preferential treatment. It's more likely to be down to hospital trust policy.

Reactions: 1
@GabCat I am so sorry for your loss. This must be absolutely devastating for you and your boy. Sending you lots of love and strength xxxx

From bedford hospital website:

"To families of all our patients, we wanted to give a reminder that sadly, at both Bedford and the Luton and Dunstable University Hospital, we are still unable to allow any visitors on site, unless there are exceptional circumstances, for example in maternity or children’s departments, or for those patients who are receiving palliative treatment at the end of their lives, on a case-by-case basis."

Reactions: 4
I've never commented on Tattle before but I just want a little rant. I can't stop crying about how unfair everything is right now and seeing that Cpt Tom had his "family around him" has just spiralled me.

My husband died 3 months ago today from Covid and he wasn't "allowed" family around him. After alot of begging and pleading, our 7 yr old son was allowed to go in...alone...to say goodbye and hold his dads hand one last time.

I wish so badly I barged my way in and fought everyone who tried to stop me. My husband is just a number to everyone now and it all feels so....heartless and like I'm meant to just get on with life like nothings happened because well SO many people have died obviously 🙄🤷‍♀️.

Why is Tom allowed such a privilege and why are the news flaunting that in peoples faces who are already suffering with depression / grief?!

😬 sorry for my little outburst. I'm coping for anyone wondering, I'm a strong person - but this is a huge kick in my lady balls!
I am truly sorry for your loss. Wishing you, your son and family healing and peace at such a difficult time.

• Heart
It’s infuriating to see them mishandling the SA variant. I heard at the briefing that the UK variant is now the most prominent one across the country (after all their “efforts” restricting Xmas gatherings and tier 4 and now lockdown) which just shows they failed in bringing in restrictions that could curb it.

Now they’re doing door to door testing which is better than nothing but what about the next bad variant which could come from anywhere else in the world? That could be here already. They’re doing such a bad job it’s making me think it’s deliberate 😂 the incompetence is so extrem. Everyone knows we need to shut the border and do mandatory hotel quarantine... these half measures don’t work!
You know when they say In media they doing it for the optics seen to be seen to be doing something ie anything.
The nightingale hospital felt like huge pr expensive exercise that didn't help much.
However maybe this random small scale testing is so they can say when it goes wrong well we tried.
Not sure 80k tests if everyone in those postcodes agrees.
My worry is some of them postcodes are quote far apart.
No idea how much travel between South Africa and UK.
Beats me why they want holiday here so if they coming back then thye went South Africa on holiday or they are UK residents who moved here.
I knew a few South African when I lived in Cardiff.
I expect London and South East has bigger South African community than most areas.
Not sure how many we have locally so South east was always slightly more high risk and with international airports nearby.

Reactions: 1
These mutant variants are a concern, especially if those to be found to have it have not travelled. Probably people who have come into the country asymptomatic. It is very frustrating. The talk of vaccines maybe not being as effective on these new strains is worrying. How long until we actually close the borders? What an effing shambles it still is.

Reactions: 5
Oh GabCat, I’m so sorry for you and your son on the loss of your husband and daddy. 7 is no age to lose a parent. Well done for fighting for him to get to say his goodbyes but I’m so sorry he had to do it alone and that you couldn’t go with him. Your husband must have been young too, so very sad. I hope you are ok, I think all of us on here completely understand how hard it must be for you to see about Captain Tom’s family. Thinking of you x

That’s a lovely memory to cherish in such difficult times.
Children are amazing. My son was 2.5 when my mum died and I don’t know what I’d have done without him, he gave me a reason to continue and made me smile every day. Your son sounds like a wonderful little boy x
Thankyou, that made me cry.

Your boy is also lucky to have you, you sound like a wonderful person and I hope you are continuing to smile every day. X

• Heart
Hope everyone is doing ok ♥ I've kept away from the past few threads as it wasn't doing me any good reading on here every day but just popped on to tell u all about my exciting day tomorrow 😂 off to the doctors for my cervical screening and then calling to Maccys Ds on the way back 😂 Probs the most exciting thing I've done all year 😂😂
Well thats my big day out cancelled because of snow 😂🙄

• Sad
  • Haha
  • Wow
Thankyou, that made me cry.

Your boy is also lucky to have you, you sound like a wonderful person and I hope you are continuing to smile every day. X
Oh I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to make you cry! I just wanted to send support in what must be an even more heartbreaking than normal situation.
Thank you so much, he still makes me smile every day, I’m sure your son will do the same for you, thinking of you both x

• Heart
@GabCat

It must be infuriating to see the family of sir Tom around him.

The rules should apply regardless.

Sorry for your pain xxx

• Heart
Reactions: 6

So all adults could be vaccinated by the end of May. That really would be the great British summer that Matt Hancock was hinting at the other day and then we can get to helping out our neighbours quicker :) By the start of June hopefully the UK is sorted back to normal and we are able to send tens of millions of spare vaccines to Europe and get air travel safely back up and running so people can book a foreign holiday if they want to.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 12
Even more of a reason to not ease any of the current lockdown measures anytime soon until cases are really low.
How are they ever going to relax them if the vaccines only control your symptoms it will just go on mutating and evading them .

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
Hopefully the science can shed some light into transmission patterns in those who have been vaccinated.
I can't see how that will even work they'll always be playing catch up maybe this is doing what they were afraid of and escaping the one dose vaccine .

I can't see how that will even work they'll always be playing catch up maybe this is doing what they were afraid of and escaping the one dose vaccine .
The scientists can tweak the current vaccines to deal with mutations and new variants as that is the nature of the virus - to evolve and mutate. We have amazing scientists around the world who have worked so hard to develop vaccines in the past year and learn so much about this virus, I like to believe we will be okay.

Reactions: 6
Hopefully it will mutate its way into a much weaker version of itself and not be a concern to us eventually.

Reactions: 13

My heart goes out to you it's desperately unfair ♥

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.