Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #81

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
šŸ‘šŸ» I get he did a wonderful thing for the NHS but the NHS is for everyone and everyone should be treated the same. His family didnā€™t care about him when they dragged him to Barbados for their own gains.

If family isnā€™t allowed in, no ones family should be allowed in regardless of who you are.
Also, the amazing thing he did and the money he raised came from all of the public. It was the nation that helped to raise the money. Yes, heā€™s an amazing man and I genuinely wish him well but it has really infuriated me that theyā€™re getting this special treatment (and letā€™s not go into flying a clinically vulnerable person to BarbadosšŸ™„)

I've never commented on Tattle before but I just want a little rant. I can't stop crying about how unfair everything is right now and seeing that Cpt Tom had his "family around him" has just spiralled me.

My husband died 3 months ago today from Covid and he wasn't "allowed" family around him. After alot of begging and pleading, our 7 yr old son was allowed to go in...alone...to say goodbye and hold his dads hand one last time.

I wish so badly I barged my way in and fought everyone who tried to stop me. My husband is just a number to everyone now and it all feels so....heartless and like I'm meant to just get on with life like nothings happened because well SO many people have died obviously šŸ™„šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø.

Why is Tom allowed such a privilege and why are the news flaunting that in peoples faces who are already suffering with depression / grief?!

šŸ˜¬ sorry for my little outburst. I'm coping for anyone wondering, I'm a strong person - but this is a huge kick in my lady balls!
So sorry for your loss. Sending you so much love x

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Sorry for your loss šŸ’” you donā€™t need to apologise for your outburst. Itā€™s so unfair to families like yourself who didnā€™t get to say goodbye. Your husband isnā€™t just a number. Sending love to you and your son xxx
Thankyou for being so kind. It means the world.

On a lighter note, something that made me smile in a dark time of my life - whilst my son was holding hubbys hand he told him "daddy you're squeezing my hand too tight and it's going to make me fart!". My husband managed a chuckle at that.

My son is doing well, he's acting extremely brave and he's taking care of ME! I'm very proud and he's keeping me from getting into a rut. X

• Heart
Reactions: 31
I've never commented on Tattle before but I just want a little rant. I can't stop crying about how unfair everything is right now and seeing that Cpt Tom had his "family around him" has just spiralled me.

My husband died 3 months ago today from Covid and he wasn't "allowed" family around him. After alot of begging and pleading, our 7 yr old son was allowed to go in...alone...to say goodbye and hold his dads hand one last time.

I wish so badly I barged my way in and fought everyone who tried to stop me. My husband is just a number to everyone now and it all feels so....heartless and like I'm meant to just get on with life like nothings happened because well SO many people have died obviously šŸ™„šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø.

Why is Tom allowed such a privilege and why are the news flaunting that in peoples faces who are already suffering with depression / grief?!

šŸ˜¬ sorry for my little outburst. I'm coping for anyone wondering, I'm a strong person - but this is a huge kick in my lady balls!
I am so sorry for your loss what a awful and unfair time you have had.
I don't know its like other things postcode lotteries different nhs trusts have different policies.

Reactions: 8

Boris needs to listen to his experts and his health secretary on a health matter. Variants can come from anywhere and if people are so desperate to fly here during a pandemic they should be put in quarantine no matter where they have come from.

Reactions: 6

Boris needs to listen to his experts and his health secretary on a health matter. Variants can come from anywhere and if people are so desperate to fly here during a pandemic they should be put in quarantine no matter where they have come from.
Yes agree its daft eu is tit at genome sequencing they may have loads south African strain.
I fear in few weeks they be mass panic then close then as testing 8 areas and maybe they will up genome sequencing above 10% they will discover its more prevalent.
The more prevalent it is more chance mutations.

Is anyone else shielding? Has the lockdown been extended until March 8th? Iā€™m so confused by it all! My letter says 21st feb but theyā€™re always so late and sending update letters out for shielding. Donā€™t want to risk returning to work when I shouldnā€™t be
I'm shielding. Schools won't return until March 8th earliest but lockdown hasn't been officially extended yet.

I think lockdown and shielding will officially be extended at the review this month.

Think Wales are shielding until March 31st.

I'm so sorry for your loss and completely agree it's unfair for cap Tom's family to get special treatment

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Itā€™s infuriating to see them mishandling the SA variant. I heard at the briefing that the UK variant is now the most prominent one across the country (after all their ā€œeffortsā€ restricting Xmas gatherings and tier 4 and now lockdown) which just shows they failed in bringing in restrictions that could curb it.

Now theyā€™re doing door to door testing which is better than nothing but what about the next bad variant which could come from anywhere else in the world? That could be here already. Theyā€™re doing such a bad job itā€™s making me think itā€™s deliberate šŸ˜‚ the incompetence is so extrem. Everyone knows we need to shut the border and do mandatory hotel quarantine... these half measures donā€™t work!

Reactions: 5
How can the IOM, NZ etc all go back to normal life when weā€™re in this huge tit storm? If our government had said masks from the start, not in September, and closed the borders in March we would have stood a chance. They were still allowing flights in from Wuhan at the beginning of this, how could they be so stupid. It all feels so unfair šŸ˜Ÿ

Itā€™s infuriating to see them mishandling the SA variant. I heard at the briefing that the UK variant is now the most prominent one across the country (after all their ā€œeffortsā€ restricting Xmas gatherings and tier 4 and now lockdown) which just shows they failed in bringing in restrictions that could curb it.

Now theyā€™re doing door to door testing which is better than nothing but what about the next bad variant which could come from anywhere else in the world? That could be here already. Theyā€™re doing such a bad job itā€™s making me think itā€™s deliberate šŸ˜‚ the incompetence is so extrem. Everyone knows we need to shut the border and do mandatory hotel quarantine... these half measures donā€™t work!
I agree. The fact theyā€™ve let you meet one person for exercise outdoors is ridiculous, You can exercise alone! Boris and his half measures are the reason weā€™re in this mess.

Reactions: 6
How can the IOM, NZ etc all go back to normal life when weā€™re in this huge tit storm? If our government had said masks from the start, not in September, and closed the borders in March we would have stood a chance. They were still allowing flights in from Wuhan at the beginning of this, how could they be so stupid. It all feels so unfair šŸ˜Ÿ
IOM and NZ completely different to us in so many ways. Very isolated countries/island with low amounts of people ā€œtravelling throughā€. No road connections etc. Not worth comparing. They also havenā€™t solved the problem as at some point they will have to allow the borders to reopen and then they will be in the same position we all are again.

Reactions: 15
IOM and NZ completely different to us in so many ways. Very isolated countries/island with low amounts of people ā€œtravelling throughā€. No road connections etc. Not worth comparing. They also havenā€™t solved the problem as at some point they will have to allow the borders to reopen and then they will be in the same position we all are again.
Fair point.

I am so sorry for your loss. My heart hurts reading that. Sending love ā¤

• Heart

I agree. The fact theyā€™ve let you meet one person for exercise outdoors is ridiculous, You can exercise alone! Boris and his half measures are the reason weā€™re in this mess.
I donā€™t think itā€™s ridiculous allowing exercise with one person outside. The risk outside is tiny, and allowing meeting one person is a small thing that may keep a lot of people going

Reactions: 12
People seem to forget this. Unless they stay shut for an incredibly long amount of time they will face issues when they reopen borders. Also theyā€™re incomparable to us with the through traffic - for example Heathrow is a major airport hub not just for travel but for goods etc which means people are constantly coming and going. Plus here everywhere is more or less drivable so without road blocking every road itā€™s impossible to contain us whereas some states over there are so vast people would only fly which is easier to prohibit. I think we should be compared to other European countries as thatā€™s the most reflective of our way of lives.

I donā€™t think itā€™s ridiculous allowing exercise with one person outside. The risk outside is tiny, and allowing meeting one person is a small thing that may keep a lot of people going
I agree it helps many mentally but in the first lockdown we couldnā€™t meet anyone. His rules are always so mixed up and people donā€™t often understand what they can and canā€™t do. Also as a mother if I allowed my children to meet a friend outdoors theyā€™d probably stand close by, do selfieā€™s together etc.,

I agree it helps many mentally but in the first lockdown we couldnā€™t meet anyone. His rules are always so mixed up and people donā€™t often understand what they can and canā€™t do.
But in the first lockdown a lot of things couldnā€™t be done but can now. Itā€™s been clear this lockdown you can meet one person outside socially distanced for a walk. Itā€™s not confusing. Do it if you want, donā€™t if you donā€™t feel safe but it is not confusing in this case what is allowed.

It may differ between hospitals but I know of two families who have been able to say goodbye to their relatives in person if they are dying from covid. They may only visit the hospital once and they then have to isolate for 10 days after.

Edited to add - these were recent deaths. One passed away last weekend and the family were allowed in last week. And the other in December.
yes my hospital also let families in to visit but only at end of life and usually only 1 or 2. Quite a few choose not too as they then need to self isolate which means missing the funeral or unable to provide support to other family members

very few relatives came in through the1st waves due to fear in the media I think but deffo more coming in now

Reactions: 2
But in the first lockdown a lot of things couldnā€™t be done but can now. Itā€™s been clear this lockdown you can meet one person outside socially distanced for a walk. Itā€™s not confusing. Do it if you want, donā€™t if you donā€™t feel safe but it is not confusing in this case what is allowed.
I meant it wasnā€™t safe last lockdown, so why now?thatā€™s what is confusing. People stand too close outdoors on walks, even if outdoors Iā€™m sure thereā€™s a risk.

Reactions: 1
I agree it helps many mentally but in the first lockdown we couldnā€™t meet anyone. His rules are always so mixed up and people donā€™t often understand what they can and canā€™t do.
Cases are falling very quickly though so I donā€™t think itā€™s really contributing? Itā€™s a lifeline for some people and if it really caused a lot of spread, they wouldnā€™t allow it.

In lockdown 1 they knew much less about the virus so things were a bit tougher.

Reactions: 12
I meant it wasnā€™t safe last lockdown, so why now?thatā€™s what is confusing. People stand too close outdoors on walks, even if outdoors Iā€™m sure thereā€™s a risk.
We knew so little first time around so it was a blanket ban on everything. They didnā€™t know it was unsafe or safe. We know more now so itā€™s obviously been proven that it is safe / very minimal risk.

Reactions: 9
Cases are falling very quickly though so I donā€™t think itā€™s really contributing? Itā€™s a lifeline for some people and if it really caused a lot of spread, they wouldnā€™t allow it.

In lockdown 1 they knew much less about the virus so things were a bit tougher.
I agree it helps so many mentally. I just havenā€™t done it because walking with someone for exercise we would stand too close, or my teens would stand too close to their friends so weā€™ve found it easier as parents to not do it at all right now.

I just wasnā€™t sure why they allow it this lockdown, but not the first time. Thank you for explaining šŸ˜Š

Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.