Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #79

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Please can someone tell me if I’m right please. My childs friend wanted to meet to go on a bike ride but she said to her friend we can’t as the rules are you can’t meet anyone indoors or out. During a call to my mother she told my mother her friend keeps asking her to meet up. My mother thinks covid isn’t a big deal thanks to my covid idiot brother, and she said to my daughter ‘yes you can, you can meet one other person outdoors for walks‘. Well she’s been meeting all 3 of her kids and grandchildren, breaking the rules every day so her encouraging my child doesn’t surprise me. It made me angry she was encouraging my child knowing I’ve health conditions, but again no surprise there. My mother and I don’t really have a relationship.

Surely you cannot meet anyone outdoors?
I thought you could meet with 1 other person for socially distanced exercise so your child could go for a bike ride with a friend ( but stopping for a chat would be against the rules) .
I think the interaction with a friend would be beneficial for a lot of children now they aren't seeing others at school.

Reactions: 3
Please can someone tell me if I’m right please. My childs friend wanted to meet to go on a bike ride but she said to her friend we can’t as the rules are you can’t meet anyone indoors or out. During a call to my mother she told my mother her friend keeps asking her to meet up. My mother thinks covid isn’t a big deal thanks to my covid idiot brother, and she said to my daughter ‘yes you can, you can meet one other person outdoors for walks‘. Well she’s been meeting all 3 of her kids and grandchildren, breaking the rules every day so her encouraging my child doesn’t surprise me. It made me angry she was encouraging my child knowing I’ve health conditions, but again no surprise there. My mother and I don’t really have a relationship.

Yes she can, they can’t sit and chat or have a picnic but can exercise.

Reactions: 2

To me its not an issue, if the bike rides at some kind of distance and they arnt getting off and sitting together etc. Guess it depends on how much you trust them both to stay apart.
No idea if the guildlines allow it

Reactions: 1
If i can take my child out for dinner then she can be in school.
While I agree on an educational level. In terms of covid safety eating a meal is much safer than school. They won’t interact with anyone else, cleaning is high and you aren’t in there for long. If kids could sit apart all day and no interact with each other closely schools could open.

Opening pubs for drinking is a completely different ball game.

Reactions: 12
Pubs need to open as soon as possible. They are a far safer place than a school and pay a heck of a lot of tax that helps the country out.
I think when people think of pubs they often thing of rowdy bars with really drunk people. There are local pubs that people ( often elderly men) visited frequently, perhaps for a pint and some food and this may be all the interaction they got.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
controversial but I'm going to agree. Pubs I disagree with in terms of safety but restaurants, gyms and retail could open before schools if they stuck to rigid rules, not like the chaotic eat out to help out, but more meals with your household, only x amount of people in the building at one time etc. Sending the schools back before the vaccination program has had a chance to be successful is reckless and could end up undoing a lot of the work that's been put in. The other option is to vaccinate all school children and everyone that works in a school building. We don't know if that would necessarily stop the spread but everyone would have it milder or no symptoms at all as they'd have antibodies, and we'd probably be able to see if it stops the spread.
How do people go to work in non essential retail etc if schools are closed though?

Reactions: 9
How do people go to work in non essential retail etc if schools are closed though?
Good point! It would push the number of kids up in schools if they are suddenly classed as key workers due to being opened

The level of fucked-uped-dom we’ve reached when we’re worried about letting children meet outside.

nope, kids here mix and play together, not a chance in hell that’s stopping.
None of us are going anywhere anyway 😐 they all live in the same little area and they’re all under 7, about 12 of them play on the road in the same area daily.

I’m happy to be judged for this, not having kids in the system for mental health reasons in 5/10 years time because playing with little Tommy is illegal.

considering nurses are taking unpaid leave because they have no childcare 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: 18
You can't realistically, or if you did it'd be at reduced capacity as only those with childcare (or no kids) could work but then nowhere would be as a busy anyway as there would be limits in the amount of people so that could work. Although even if some of the kids were then classed as key worker children, there would still be a more manageable amount of kids in schools versus normal. It's a catch 22 situation really.

If i can take my child out for dinner then she can be in school.
There is a big difference though. Pub/Restaurant you socially distance at the door with a mask on and get taken to your covid secure table a good distance away from others. At a school you're on a packed bus, in packed classes and in packed corridoors.

There is a big difference though. Pub/Restaurant you socially distance at the door with a mask on and get taken to your covid secure table a good distance away from others. At a school you're on a packed bus, in packed classes and in packed corridoors.
so you’re argument is the economy is more important than education?

controversial but I'm going to agree. Pubs I disagree with in terms of safety but restaurants, gyms and retail could open before schools if they stuck to rigid rules, not like the chaotic eat out to help out, but more meals with your household, only x amount of people in the building at one time etc. Sending the schools back before the vaccination program has had a chance to be successful is reckless and could end up undoing a lot of the work that's been put in. The other option is to vaccinate all school children and everyone that works in a school building. We don't know if that would necessarily stop the spread but everyone would have it milder or no symptoms at all as they'd have antibodies, and we'd probably be able to see if it stops the spread.
I think gyms should be one of the first venues to reopen. I had gotten into a great routine before Christmas about going 3 times a week at least, I was keeping so much weight off and even beginning to build muscle. I’ve tried so hard to eat healthy but when you’re a natural comfort eater, that all goes out of the window. I’ve gained a stone since end of December, which is really upsetting as I had previously lost 2 stone. So I’m halfway to my old weight.

I’m trying now to stagger meal times more, snack less and drink lots of water. It will really ruin my head if I end up back at my old weight (from 2019).:cry:

• Sad
Reactions: 11
They're as important as each other, but ultimately the last few pages of this thread we've had constant posts of people struggling. Kids not wanting to get out of bed! Maybe if everyone could at least do something small like eat in a restaurant or go into a toy shop and look at toys which we know is safe enough providing there are rigid restrictions and sanitising, then MH might not be in the pits of hell at the minute. They also might be able to do a bit better at home learning as they'll have done something different, the parents will be less stressed as they'll have been able to do something fun and normal as well. In turn we give the economy a bit of a boost which will help those struggling.

At this stage we're going to be sending kids back to school who are riddled with anxiety as they've not left the house for months on end and are miserable, which is going to be doing them no favours in terms of education or social skills.

Maybe this is just too simple an answer though idk 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: 10
can I just point out without making this a massive discussion because I don’t think you meant this is a bad way at all. ❤

some children will and do need more than just fresh air and a walk, and that’s ok xx
Sorry yes that was hastily typed. I was just musing over it the other day so felt it was relevant xxx

Reactions: 2
Really interesting “only” (I know it’s still a lot and every death is important of course) just over 7000 deaths in the last year from working age population due to covid.
Not sure if that includes all people in that age bracket or only those that were employed?

I think at some stage this week (bleeping useless) Gavin Williamson will drop the announcement that no return to school until after Easter and that will be it. No more school discussions and what is happening to move it forward. This whole academic year will be over before we know it.

• Sad
Reactions: 16
But what about long term effects? That’s what I worry about. But I also work with vulnerable people so I know it’s the right thing for me to have it now. I sound blunt but all the elderly people that are having this vaccine will be dead by the time the long term side effects come in
This might help with that:

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I think the economy and education go hand in hand.

This is in the simplest way of looking at it, children are educated so they can get a job, be part of the workforce and pay taxes . I know there are other aspects and a child's emotional development is just as important as an academic one.

Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.