Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #79

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My 9 year old is on zooms for 9:15 for maths has a break then back on at 10:30 for English lunch break and then back on at 1- 2 for topic (either art, history or pshe) to be honest her teacher is lovely and the routine is really helping her during the week. And then we usually go for a walk after.

my youngest it’s all work sheet based (she’s in reception) and it’s soooo bloody hard. I’ve said numerous times on here we have a lot of problems with her so her having the attention span to sit down and fill in worksheet without her getting frustrated or distracted is just short of a miracle.
To make matters worse a message on tapestry to parents saying they are judging attendance on the work submitted on there.... these kids are 4 and 5!

thankyou so much! I did not know this. I will mention this to them tomorrow.

my Younger sister still lives at home and mentioned earlier she wishes they could come and stay as she’s really suffering too. So I think they will all be over the moon to hear this I think
Do it! Speaking as an adult who, looking back, has suffered with anxiety since I was a teenage, do it. Your daughter's mental health is far more important. Provided they aren't silly while she's there, they don't mix with other people.

Otherwise encourage structure as much as possible. Discourage her from laying in bed. Get her up, go for a walk every day if you can. Nights are getting lighter! Slowly. I don't have kids, but screw school, a few weeks of relaxed work is not going to have that big an impact on her life at 9.

But a family with 3 kids each bubbled up with a different child from a different family means 4 families already....perhaps a better approach would be as in Scotland where kids under 12 can mix outside?
Can kids not mix outside now?

Reactions: 1
Do it! Speaking as an adult who, looking back, has suffered with anxiety since I was a teenage, do it. Your daughter's mental health is far more important. Provided they aren't silly while she's there, they don't mix with other people.

Otherwise encourage structure as much as possible. Discourage her from laying in bed. Get her up, go for a walk every day if you can. Nights are getting lighter! Slowly. I don't have kids, but screw school, a few weeks of relaxed work is not going to have that big an impact on her life at 9.

No mixing for anyone at the moment

Reactions: 2
Wow that's mad!! Mine get 15 mins on Mon, Tues, Thurs and Fri. Mon and Fri are this is what your doing/what did you enjoy this week. Tues and Thurs they mark 2 or 3 tricky question from their worksheet.
So many school's locally that my friends children attend, are doing 3 days a week. Worksheets 1 hour per day on those 3 days. They can't believe what our kids have to do. The school have said they won't be able to repeat these lessons and I think that's why its so full on, to keep the children up to speed. Its so hard going, apparently these are government expectations!

Reactions: 1

No one in England can mixed outside, you can meet one person for exercise but it has to be exercise not a catch up.

Reactions: 5
Can anyone give me their positive stories about receiving the vaccine? I’m 30 years old and having mine done Tuesday... I just worry about long term side effects & I want more children in the future
I’m also having my first vaccine on Tuesday. I’m in my early 30’s and want to try for another child in the near future, and had the same fears. However, it has been debunked that the vaccine can cause fertility issues and I’m no longer worried about it. People I know who’ve already had their vaccine have reported symptoms from a sore, stiff arm, headache and mild temp but were back to normal within a day or two.

Reactions: 6
So many school's locally that my friends children attend, are doing 3 days a week. Worksheets 1 hour per day on those 3 days. They can't believe what our kids have to do. The school have said they won't be able to repeat these lessons and I think that's why its so full on, to keep the children up to speed. Its so hard going, apparently these are government expectations!
Gov have insisted 3-5 hours a day work depends on the age of the child.

I think there is a balance to be had here, 1 hour 3 days a week isn’t enough, children do need structure but hours of teams calls for a primary pupil is ridiculous. How on Earth are working parents meant to work around that?

Reactions: 7
No one in England can mixed outside, you can meet one person for exercise but it has to be exercise not a catch up.
II assumed kids were allowed to mix cos I see it daily 🙄. I don't have kids, so not something I had looked into.

• Sad
Reactions: 3
No mixing for anyone at the moment
I admire your determination and integrity to follow the rules and keep your family safe. It's not good at the moment, but we do seem to be getting there, numbers are falling and it won't be forever.

You are a very caring and loving mother, and when this is all over you can hold your head high knowing that you have supported your kids throughout and not succumbed to breaking any rules. 💖

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I know it's not much but for kids who are struggling, things like filling in a 'big little journal' or mindful meditation for kids on the calm app have helped some kids I know. ❤

Our primary have issued enough work for a full school day, each day but are not doing teams as they say the kids will need too much support and live lessons can't be paused.
I do understand the rationale now it has been explained.
Last week I was explaining something to my child and I got a completely blank look and the worksheet took hours.
I ended up on teams with my manager getting them to help me explain it.
My husband had been doing the homeschooling the week before and I thought he must be googling. So asked him about it and he swore blind they knew what to do.
There was absolutely no recall, so I started to consider we might have a real issue with retention of info.
Almost emailed school to share the worry & they released a statement that, in class almost all children would do questions 1-4 and 25% of children would be able to work on questions 5-10 but with intensive teacher or TA support.
We've been doing 5-10 on every sheet, every day. No wonder we got blank looks, it is far beyond what has been studied before!
A heads up on 5th Jan would have been nice. I thought we'd got an unrecognised SEN on on our hands!
As an aside, I have started to allow them to have a walk with a friend which is within the rules, even though its -1 here.
They are becoming isolated and look pale, dark circles round their eyes and the youngest has put weight on.
Our Y8 was late to science on Thursday as they were skating on the front drive and forgot the time, but interestingly it was the only lesson they completed the work for in a quick time frame and the only night they slept before midnight.
So, I'm with you all on prioritising exercise more.
The kids don't look well so I feel we need to balance things a little more in favour of being outdoors and not working all day and night.

• Sad
If there is a delay returning to school until after Easter, which is what is being reported but I hope is wrong, there needs to be some kind of allowance for children to meet outdoors with at least one friend. We’ve been locked down since 25th Dec and I know lots more places have for longer. If it’s after Easter that will be close to four months, that is not acceptable for our children or anyone to be isolated for that long. The ongoing acceptance that schools are closed to the majority with no re opening or even a target date, is appalling.

Reactions: 5
People says pubs to open before schools is ridiculous.

You may not have children, but they will be the ones to look after us when we are older.

Would they dare allow Gavin Williamson to do a briefing, he would be ripped to shreds

• Sad
Can anyone give me their positive stories about receiving the vaccine? I’m 30 years old and having mine done Tuesday... I just worry about long term side effects & I want more children in the future
My sister (20s) and best friend (30s) have both had theirs as front line medical staff and no issues. My other friends parents and aunt all in their 80s have also had with no issues.

Reactions: 2
People says pubs to open before schools is ridiculous.

You may not have children, but they will be the ones to look after us when we are older.

Would they dare allow Gavin Williamson to do a briefing, he would be ripped to shreds
I really can’t see that happening, but I guess with this government never say never. The lack of info about anything but vaccinations is disturbing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
My two are 12 and 14 and struggling massively with not seeing their friends. I dread to think what their mental state will be by the end of this. I don't know what the answer is but we can't carry on like this for much longer.
I completely understand that, my son is an only child so has no interaction with other kids at all at the moment apart from online.
It’s such a difficult time.

Nope, for everyone over the age of 5, you can only mix in your household or with one other person as part of your daily exercise, but that literally means 2 people in total, 1+1 and socially distanced. So my dad could come and go for a walk with me or my son but not both of us together.

Reactions: 3
I believe that in every respect he has acted responsibly and legally and with integrity and with the overwhelming aim of stopping the spread of the virus and saving lives. The British Prime Minister went on to say that it was a situation that “any father, any parent” would understand.
Anyone struggling with guilt if they need to adjust some rules this week........

• Heart
Reactions: 16
I found this on another forum:

Covid vaccination and fertility - reassuring evidence
There's been some concern by some people that the covid vaccines may affect fertility.

On all the trials, women were asked to avoid pregnancy. We all know that accidental pregnancies do, in fact happen.

Some did on the trials (53 to be exact), and on each of the three trials. That is: some women who had been given the Pfizer, Moderna, and Oxford vaccines in trials got accidentally pregnant.

Details here: drive.google/file/d/1_wH...PR4PTTCDm/view

Accidental pregnancies occurred in very similar ratios between the placebo group (no vaccine given) and the vaccinated group; there was no indication of any differential effect.

The pregnancies have been followed carefully, there are no indications of any problems or issues caused (There were a total of 7 miscarriages, sadly: 5 in the non-vaccinated groups and 2 in the vaccinated groups, so there does not seem to be any elevated risk of that from vaccination).

There is also no plausible method by which fertility might be impacted in any case that has been suggested.

I know some people have been concerned and I hope this helps to relieve any such concerns.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.