Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #79

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
But aren't those decisions for coming out of lockdown?

I really disagree that we are already at a point, not even 3 calendar weeks into a national lockdown with a stay at home order, to be reopening retail. All it does is encourage people to be out and about.

The November lockdown did almost nothing to cases because it was wishy washy. The message was stay at home but when schools and shops were open for you to mooch about it, why would you?
I'm not stating my own opinion here. I don't have the answers and I don't know what's best. I'm just thinking that the government could re-open certain parts if that's the route they wanted to go down. I'm not saying it's a good idea.

I worked in a retail store that should have closed but could stay open due to it being in a supermarket and I said all along that it just encouraged people to make unnecessary journeys. The idea was people pick them up with their weekly shop and some did but many people weren't reading the order confirmation properly so were coming in when not all of their items were available and then coming back. One guy literally came in 3 times in the same week. Some people were buying things they definitely didn't need (nobody needs scatter cushions.). People weren't reading the returns policy so they were bringing things into return when we couldn't take them. It was a bit of a disaster tbh and we were still doing online deliveries so there was no reason for us to be open really.

Reactions: 2
Yes thatā€™s true, does that data include the wider population ? I thought it was just professions they looked at. Interesting that hospitals have put the average age of deaths in their patients at 59
I really donā€™t know, i havenā€™t read the report yet and just going off the video clip. Im assuming if i died even being cev, my profession would still be listed as a nurse? Yes it seems a change in narrative from the 80+ statistic that dominates. But again, i havenā€™t looked into it in any detail.

Reactions: 1
I think non-essential retail should be judged on the type of premises, rather than what it sells. In a retail park the diy , pet shop and cheap bargain shop are allowed to open during lockdown. The carpet and furniture shops in identical units aren't . I don't think there's any more risk in the latter

Reactions: 3
I told myself from the start after Easter but honestly if itā€™s later than that Iā€™m gonna be heartbroken.

My 4 year old is suffering not going to nursery and seeing his new friends. I took him to the park yesterday and itā€™s over the road from his school, he thought I was taking him to the playground in the school grounds šŸ˜” his little face when he realised that wasnā€™t where we were going.
Are you in Scotland?

If england I would move the child to a private nursery if the school one isnā€™t open

I don't know the context but I don't think she's wrong that obesity and health plays a significant part

Pensions minister Therese Coffey TURNS OFF her camera during brutal GMB row with Piers Morgan after she blames 'age and obesity of population for UK having world's worst Covid death rate'

Anecdotally I've encountered lots in the UK who pretty much brag about how awful their diet is and how they do no exercise. How do you address problems like that?

Reactions: 2
The level of fucked-uped-dom weā€™ve reached when weā€™re worried about letting children meet outside.

nope, kids here mix and play together, not a chance in hell thatā€™s stopping.
None of us are going anywhere anyway šŸ˜ they all live in the same little area and theyā€™re all under 7, about 12 of them play on the road in the same area daily.

Iā€™m happy to be judged for this, not having kids in the system for mental health reasons in 5/10 years time because playing with little Tommy is illegal.
We had a bit of snow on Saturday, we never get snow here so it's a big deal.
We were out walking the dog and saw kids out playing, and it really warmed our hearts! To hear them laughing and having fun was just amazing!

We caught ourselves thinking.. omg, they shouldn't be doing that! Then realised that we've spent all year being indoctrinated, and that actually they should be doing that - they're kids!!

If adults can go to work in bubbles then kids can play in them. Playing is as essential as work... it's just generally less fun at work. I'd opt for playing snowballs at work if I could šŸ˜‚

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I don't know the context but I don't think she's wrong that obesity and health plays a significant part

Pensions minister Therese Coffey TURNS OFF her camera during brutal GMB row with Piers Morgan after she blames 'age and obesity of population for UK having world's worst Covid death rate'

Anecdotally I've encountered lots in the UK who pretty much brag about how awful their diet is and how they do no exercise. How do you address problems like that?
The obesity thing I get but what can we really do about age? šŸ˜‚

This is completely true, how can someone try and deny this?

I think they should open both together so we can all celebrate once those "pearly gates " are unlocked šŸ˜ ...šŸ™ŒšŸ«šŸ‘‹šŸ„‚šŸ¾šŸ„“

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I think those most clinically vulnerable in that age bracket are possibly also able to shield more effectively, in the sense that they may not have carers etc visiting in the home. No excess deaths in teachers was also very interesting!
The only thing Iā€™d say about ā€œteachers and educational professionalsā€ is that they form a small percentage of staff in particularly primary schools. We had a run of Covid in school staff in October and only 1 of them was a teacher. All the others were TAs, kitchen staff and 1-2-1s. Luckily not had anyone ill to the point of needing hospital, though.

Hopefully theyā€™ll open schools soon, itā€™s such a pain in the arse for all concerned at the minute.

Yes, we have such a huge problem here with obesity.

Also that it is culturally normal and ā€˜funnyā€™ here to be a borderline alcoholic probably isnā€™t helping general public health or obesity šŸ˜¬

Reactions: 13
I really donā€™t know, i havenā€™t read the report yet and just going off the video clip. Im assuming if i died even being cev, my profession would still be listed as a nurse? Yes it seems a change in narrative from the 80+ statistic that dominates. But again, i havenā€™t looked into it in any detail.
Yeah maybe but what about those that have never worked they wouldn't have a profession to list ? I'm sure they'll be plenty of up to date data being released shortly from all sources .I think the Gov are to release the data on vacc transmission etc shortly according to Hancock.

While I agree on an educational level. In terms of covid safety eating a meal is much safer than school. They wonā€™t interact with anyone else, cleaning is high and you arenā€™t in there for long. If kids could sit apart all day and no interact with each other closely schools could open.

Opening pubs for drinking is a completely different ball game.
Absolutely.

Pubs only allow people from the same household to sit together, and only for ninety minutes.

Schools open all day with hundreds of households mixing.

They are not comparable.

Reactions: 6

It was quite funny to watch. She blamed the public for being overweight and old for the high death count.
Mr I love myself said how it was unfair to blame the public for the government's failings. When he pressed her she said she had another interview to do and turned her zoom off.
Piers wasn't saying that being overweight wasn't an underlying, what he was trying to say was that its unfair to keep blaming the public for the spread and the deaths when government should also take responsibility

Reactions: 5
But what about long term effects? Thatā€™s what I worry about. But I also work with vulnerable people so I know itā€™s the right thing for me to have it now. I sound blunt but all the elderly people that are having this vaccine will be dead by the time the long term side effects come in
My god. My Mil keeps going about "long term" effects and she is in her 70s. It's the last thing she needs to worry about.

Also, in regards to vaccines, long term effects don't show years later. They will show within 8+ weeks or so. They don't just suddenly appear 5 years down the line. Short term will show within a few hours or day (like a fever etc).

Where I am in Canada, we had restrictions come in during November where schools closed, restaurants closed for dine in (takeout only), no social gatherings, personal care services closed (hair salons etc). All retail was allowed to stay open. The government said they made a mistake closing it in the first restrictions last year.

Schools went back around 3 weeks ago and personal care services reopened. Our numbers so far are still trending down.

Reactions: 5
Also, on the obesity front I feel like the press have really tip toed around the fact that being obese means you are more likely to have a negative outcome with covid.

In a few articles I have read where they have discussed a covid death/negative experience of someone younger, they describe them as having ā€˜no underlying health conditionsā€™ and act like their negative experience is a total mystery, then show a picture of them and they are clearly very very obese.

True, they may not have had any underlying conditions due to their obesity but it is a big risk factor, I feel to not mention it is completely dishonest in order to be polite.

I am obviously not saying itā€™s okay because someone is obese or that itā€™s their fault or anything like that, purely that itā€™s not right to ignore that it ups your risk substantially for the sake of politeness.

Reactions: 19
It was quite funny to watch. She blamed the public for being overweight and old for the high death count.
Mr I love myself said how it was unfair to blame the public for the government's failings. When he pressed her she said she had another interview to do and turned her zoom off.
Piers wasn't saying that being overweight wasn't an underlying, what he was trying to say was that its unfair to keep blaming the public for the spread and the deaths when government should also take responsibility
Also, I didn't see it but Theresa Coffey is an absolute piece of work so although objectively we know obesity is a contributing factor to those more affected by covid, she has some pretty crappy points of view and I'm sure there is more to this headline knowing her.

I'm not stating my own opinion here. I don't have the answers and I don't know what's best. I'm just thinking that the government could re-open certain parts if that's the route they wanted to go down. I'm not saying it's a good idea.

I worked in a retail store that should have closed but could stay open due to it being in a supermarket and I said all along that it just encouraged people to make unnecessary journeys. The idea was people pick them up with their weekly shop and some did but many people weren't reading the order confirmation properly so were coming in when not all of their items were available and then coming back. One guy literally came in 3 times in the same week. Some people were buying things they definitely didn't need (nobody needs scatter cushions.). People weren't reading the returns policy so they were bringing things into return when we couldn't take them. It was a bit of a disaster tbh and we were still doing online deliveries so there was no reason for us to be open really.
' Nobody needs scatter cushions ' .

I'm sure at some point during the weeks / months of closure of non-essential retail people may find themselves in situations where they could fo with new scatter cushions.
Examples like household member with covid self - isolating in bedroom using all the existing cushions to prop themselves up while their partner sleeps on the sofa.

I don't think depriving anybody of material comforts is going to improve the situation.

• Haha
Reactions: 4

I have a friend who is a nurse on covid wards and trying to lose weight, during our conversation she said to me all the under 50s who were admitted she had dealt with if they didnt have underlying health issues they were ALL overweight. She is terrified now.

Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.