Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #79

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Maybe if everyone could at least do something small like eat in a restaurant or go into a toy shop and look at toys which we know is safe enough providing there are rigid restrictions and sanitising, then MH might not be in the pits of hell at the minute

Or we could, like, get community transmission down low enough to....
Get them back in school?

they economy is important, I’ve never been a fan of lockdowns, I don’t think a plaster works on an amputated leg either 😒
But right now is not the time to put the economy above education.

Reactions: 3
Not sure if that includes all people in that age bracket or only those that were employed?
I think those most clinically vulnerable in that age bracket are possibly also able to shield more effectively, in the sense that they may not have carers etc visiting in the home. No excess deaths in teachers was also very interesting!

Reactions: 1

Or we could, like, get community transmission down low enough to....
Get them back in school?

they economy is important. But right now is not the time to put it above education.

but it'll go back up as soon as they're back in school no? That's what happened last September.

They're as important as each other, but ultimately the last few pages of this thread we've had constant posts of people struggling. Kids not wanting to get out of bed! Maybe if everyone could at least do something small like eat in a restaurant or go into a toy shop and look at toys which we know is safe enough providing there are rigid restrictions and sanitising, then MH might not be in the pits of hell at the minute. They also might be able to do a bit better at home learning as they'll have done something different, the parents will be less stressed as they'll have been able to do something fun and normal as well. In turn we give the economy a bit of a boost which will help those struggling.

At this stage we're going to be sending kids back to school who are riddled with anxiety as they've not left the house for months on end and are miserable, which is going to be doing them no favours in terms of education or social skills.

Maybe this is just too simple an answer though idk 🤷‍♀️
Parents are taking unpaid leave to homeschool children all over the country, respectfully I think toys and eating out is the last thing on their mind.

Reactions: 9
but it'll go back up as soon as they're back in school no? That's what happened last September.
not true, where are the facts behind this?

edit; numbers have risen because of community transmission, I think the government have underplayed the transmission in schools for sure, but that’s not where the danger is, the danger is getting millions of kids to and from school with transmission rates so high.
When that reduces things came slowly start to reopen.

And we are here because of the decision to relax nearly all restrictions at the same time, the attitude from government that Nov/December were party season, and people just not really giving a tit 🤷‍♀️

new variant - excuse

Last edited:
The thing is, you open toy shops (???) but then what about everyone else? Does everyone else get their favourite thing opened? One person wants a toy shop opened because of MH, another wants the gym, another wants to see friends. I don't need toys but if toy shops open for you do hairdressers reopen because I need that more?
If you are going to open some things for the sake of mental health then why have restrictions at all?

It just seems crazy to me to say on the one hand restrictions are needed to control the pandemic so schools are closed, but everyone go out for dinner and then go browse a toy shop. Encouraging browsing for toys literally just seems like it should be at the bottom of the priority pile by anyone's definition.

I'm genuinely shocked so many people think things like pubs, restaurants and shops should reopen before schools.

Reactions: 17
I think those most clinically vulnerable in that age bracket are possibly also able to shield more effectively, in the sense that they may not have carers etc visiting in the home. No excess deaths in teachers was also very interesting!
Yes that’s true, does that data include the wider population ? I thought it was just professions they looked at. Interesting that hospitals have put the average age of deaths in their patients at 59

Parents are taking unpaid leave to homeschool children all over the country, respectfully I think toys and eating out is the last thing on their mind.
They shouldn't have to take unpaid leave and it's quite frankly disgraceful. In Germany, parents get paid leave to be home with their kids.

I agree that kids should be in school and education is important. I'm not saying we should just open everything and let society have a free for all but the keep the kids off. Things could slowly start re-opening if the rate of transmission is low there. I'm not saying it's the right thing to do, I'm saying it could realistically happen if that's what the government wanted.

Reactions: 5
You could argue that no economy means no education budget
That doesn't really change anything though, home schooling still needs teachers, school buildings are still there and open for eligible children.

Schools being closed in the current form doesn't save any money so the argument that pubs and shops needing to reopen in order to fund the education budget doesn't even make sense.

You could argue that no economy means no education budget
so you open up the economy with schools closed,
Who minds the kids?
Who teaches the kids?
Where are you getting the staff for hospitals? 90% female in nursing, many with kids and family.
Where’s the funding for child mental health support coming from in the next 5/10 years?

the NHS buckles under the weight of staff shortages and overwhelmed wards, what’s the solution?

send the kids into work in the hospital 😂

To be honest there is no answer to any of this. It’s a balance, opening things back up as quickly as possible and safely as possible 😐

Reactions: 2
The thing is, you open toy shops (???) but then what about everyone else? Does everyone else get their favourite thing opened? One person wants a toy shop opened because of MH, another wants the gym, another wants to see friends. I don't need toys but if toy shops open for you do hairdressers reopen because I need that more?
If you are going to open some things for the sake of mental health then why have restrictions at all?

It just seems crazy to me to say on the one hand restrictions are needed to control the pandemic so schools are closed, but everyone go out for dinner and then go browse a toy shop. Encouraging browsing for toys literally just seems like it should be at the bottom of the priority pile by anyone's definition.

I'm genuinely shocked so many people think things like pubs, restaurants and shops should reopen before schools.
okay I was using toy shops as an example as I thought that might cheer the kids up considering there are parents on this thread saying their kids won't get out of bed!

I'm not saying we should be opening everything up like a massive party. What I'm saying is, there are aspects of society that could open if that's what the government wanted as there could be more restrictions put in place than other things. For example, weddings where everyone is mixing and hugging etc are obviously going to be more of a risk than a shop where there's limit of people, masks, sanitising, and no one going near each other.

Reactions: 4
In Germany, parents get paid leave to be home with their kids
This the same argument comes up again and again,
“In Sweden”
“In china”
“In........”

we are in none of those places. In the USA they’re paying for health care 🤷‍♀️
Pros and cons all around

This the same argument that comes up again and again,
“In Sweden”
“In china”
“In........”

we are in none of those places. In the USA they’re paying for health care 🤷‍♀️
Pros and cons all around
tbf I live in Germany. I wasn't aware that in the UK people are taking unpaid leave cause I don't live there

Reactions: 7
okay I was using toy shops as an example as I thought that might cheer the kids up considering there are parents on this thread saying their kids won't get out of bed!

I'm not saying we should be opening everything up like a massive party. What I'm saying is, there are aspects of society that could open if that's what the government wanted as there could be more restrictions put in place than other things. For example, weddings where everyone is mixing and hugging etc are obviously going to be more of a risk than a shop where there's limit of people, masks, sanitising, and no one going near each other.
But aren't those decisions for coming out of lockdown?

I really disagree that we are already at a point, not even 3 calendar weeks into a national lockdown with a stay at home order, to be reopening retail. All it does is encourage people to be out and about.

The November lockdown didn't lower cases even nearly enough because it was wishy washy. The message was stay at home but when schools and shops were open for you to mooch about it, why would you?

For all the things this government have made poor decisions on, prioritising reopening education above retail and pubs just seems like a completely reasonable policy. Genuinely surprised it is so controversial.

Reactions: 10
I didn't even think there were many toy shops left.

Gyms and pools should be open before any shops! They've done a lot to make them "covid safe" and the health of the nation is going way down for every day they remain to be shut

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Quite possibly but we can’t all live like this forever more. They could at least go back part time in younger year groups even one day a week to start with and stagger the year groups or even go in for an afternoon a week to do some outdoor sport. The wall of silence this time round about education gives the impression it’s not a priority.

Reactions: 7
I think at some stage this week (bleeping useless) Gavin Williamson will drop the announcement that no return to school until after Easter and that will be it. No more school discussions and what is happening to move it forward. This whole academic year will be over before we know it.
I told myself from the start after Easter but honestly if it’s later than that I’m gonna be heartbroken.

My 4 year old is suffering not going to nursery and seeing his new friends. I took him to the park yesterday and it’s over the road from his school, he thought I was taking him to the playground in the school grounds 😔 his little face when he realised that wasn’t where we were going.

• Sad
Reactions: 8
I didn't even think there were many toy shops left.

Gyms and pools should be open before any shops! They've done a lot to make them "covid safe" and the health of the nation is going way down for every day they remain to be shut
It is one of the weirder MH suggestions because at least gyms and leisure facilities are useful for physical and mental health and are mostly solo activities. Browsing for toys when you can still buy as much as you want online just seems crazy.

I like to browse and smell all the candles in Homesense without buying anything but I'm not demanding that reopens over schools for my mental health because I realise that is terrible logic 😂

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.