Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #76

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
And I think 50+ makes up 99% of deaths so it's brilliant that they should all get a jab by May.

We should at the very least get a normal summer where second doses can be dished out without any restrictions and then once that is done start on any healthy under 50s who want it.
According to whitty it will be months before they’ll even begin to lift any restrictions I can’t see summer being ‘normal’ they’ll still be vaccinating at that stage

• Sad
Reactions: 5
The Morrisons I go to has security at the door who challenge people who aren't wearing masks and are very understanding with people who prove they cant wear one. The issue is when people get through then take the bloody thing off once they're far enough inside. The vast majority don't but I saw at least 3 people who did, usually middle-aged women and men. During that same shopping trip about 30 mins in, the police were patrolling the store and challenging people without masks but I found the male officers only challenged other males. It was so frustrating seeing them walk past this one woman 3x when I heard her talking about "government controlling us" in regards to masks with a store employee.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 11
Well my Mom has symptoms (she works on a covid ward) she's already had the virus, she has antibodies and she's had her first dose of the vaccine. Hopefully her test comes back negative today or I'm going to lose every last bit of faith I have that we'll be out of this situation soon 😞.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 25
Well my Mom has symptoms (she works on a covid ward) she's already had the virus, she has antibodies and she's had her first dose of the vaccine. Hopefully her test comes back negative today or I'm going to lose every last bit of faith I have that we'll be out of this situation soon 😞.
Fingers crossed she’s ok 💜💜

Reactions: 4
Hope its ok. Do let us know🥰🥰🥰

Reactions: 3
For the first time I'm going into panic mode. OH just told me he's going for a routine eye test tomorrow and I don't want him to!

Late last year I had a problem with one of my eyes and needed to see my Optician twice. Both times he asked me to lower my mask below my nose in order for him to check me properly, and when he used his apparatus he lowered his mask too.

But now we have the new variant I can't see why routine eye tests are necessary. Surely if they waited a few weeks it would be better.
Up to date eye tests are a legal requirement for driving for a lot of people though. I thought it was quite dangerous to stop them last time. Not to mention eye tests can pick up some serious medical issues.

Reactions: 15
Up to date eye tests are a legal requirement for driving for a lot of people though. I thought it was quite dangerous to stop them last time. Not to mention eye tests can pick up some serious medical issues.
Absolutely, good point. But I'm still rather worried about it all.

Reactions: 2
But can an average student afford private healthcare? No. And apparently 5 years ago only 10% of the population had private health insurance - unfortunately that is the very rich part of the population (https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/jan/16/private-medical-insurance-sales-surge-health-nhs).
I understand that everyone would like to have free council nursing homes, but as I said, it could be at least partially funded by the patient, probably in proportion to their income. And if we are talking about government payed care, we have a huge disparity between people who are physically vs mentally not able to care about themselves. You can get some funding if you are physically not able, but if you have dementia there is no state support in terms of care. If relatives of people with dementia have to have a full burden ofthe cost of care for their relatives, I am sure there could be some provisions made for people who are just waiting for their home to be altered/care home place to be ready/other arrangements to be put in place rather than just occupying a bed in a hospital.
Thats not correct if you have dementia they will do an assessment and if you can live at home with support them you will get carers in( if family wont do it) and if you have over 23K you have to pay something towards it. You will also get Attendance Allowance higher rate. If you are really, really bad then they will put you in a nursing home eventually. This will be funded by your property if you have one if not the state(local council) will pick up the bill. Relatives in the U.K dont have the financial burden of having to pay for someone with dementia. The council can ask for a contribution but you dont have to give it.

Reactions: 6
I rarely see people without masks, however I live in a small town with low crime rate so I think most people adhere to rules.

The most instance of no mask wearing I have seen was in IKEA in Southampton. All of the people without masks in there I saw did not speak English so wondering if they weren't aware at that point perhaps.

Reactions: 1
Thats not correct if you have dementia they will do an assessment and if you can live at home with support them you will get carers in( if family wont do it) and if you have over 23K you have to pay something towards it. You will also get Attendance Allowance higher rate. If you are really, really bad then they will put you in a nursing home eventually. This will be funded by your property if you have one if not the state(local council) will pick up the bill. Relatives in the U.K dont have the financial burden of having to pay for someone with dementia. The council can ask for a contribution but you dont have to give it.
If you have over £23k you have to fully fund your care. Some councils take into account your home value and will put a charge on the house for the money when it sells.

Most care homes cost between £1200-1600 a week with an attendance allowance and pension contributing to a few £100. £23k isn’t going to keep you in the home very long.

If your care is funded fully by the state you have little choice in which home you go I or what care you get.

• Sad
Reactions: 12
If you have over £23k you have to fully fund your care. Some councils take into account your home value and will put a charge on the house for the money when it sells.

Most care homes cost between £1200-1600 a week with an attendance allowance and pension contributing to a few £100. £23k isn’t going to keep you in the home very long.

If your care is funded fully by the state you have little choice in which home you go I or what care you get.
If you go into a self funded care home placement the state will fund it once your assets drop below the threshold. At least that’s what happens here. They don’t move people somewhere else or kick them out once they’ve run out of money.

I rarely see people without masks, however I live in a small town with low crime rate so I think most people adhere to rules.

The most instance of no mask wearing I have seen was in IKEA in Southampton. All of the people without masks in there I saw did not speak English so wondering if they weren't aware at that point perhaps.
I dunno, they’d have to be blind to not see they maybe should have a mask on.

Reactions: 4
If you go into a self funded care home placement the state will fund it once your assets drop below the threshold. At least that’s what happens here. They don’t move people somewhere else or kick them out once they’ve run out of money.
Were in the SE and you have to proof you can self fund for at least three years, once the money runs out you get kicked out and have to find state funded. Very stressful and costly. My grandparents were in theirs for about 3 months plus you had to put a deposit down of a months costs.

• Sad
In theory yes. In practice it is a LOT harder than this. My dad ended up bed blocking for 5 months before eventually being sectioned because it wasn't safe for him to go home without a care package and they couldn't get a care package sorted. After 3 months sectioned to a secure psychiatric unit he was discharged to nursing home, thankfully paid for by continuing health care. But that was a battle in itself. If CHC hadn't been awarded it would have been down to my mum to pay whatever the council wouldn't of his £1200pw care package, and it isn't voluntary to pay what the council charge you. She is 73 working in asda and can't afford to heat her own home. Dad only had state pension and attendance allowance but that stops while you are in hospital.

Dementia is the "wrong disease". With cancer treatment is expensive and given freely in most cases. And then at end of life you can get hospices etc. All with no cost to the individual. But unfortunately with dementia yes you do have to pay in a lot of cases.

• Sad
Reactions: 7
I know people used to sign over their assets to their kids so they could avoid care fees but I don't think you can do that now.

• Angry
I know people used to sign over their assets to their kids so they could avoid care fees but I don't think you can do that now.
You can still do it, but is has to been done well in advance so it’s not a direct link to avoid fees (care/inherence etc) there is a lot more red tape than there used to be.

Deprivation of assets, there's a time limit on it nowadays. I used to deal with all this as a civil servant in my youth but I've forgotten most of it or the rules have changed. Currently trying to get help for my mum, 67 with dementia but it's hard to get anything at the moment even when she's escaping out of cars and running into shops screaming my dad's going to kill her. Police wouldn't section. Managed to get emergency respite last week but no psychiatrist will go to see her so she'll just end up dumped at home again and we'll be ringing the police/ambulance every night again. She has no capital so they just take her SRP and ATA to pay for the respite. If you have a spouse or other qualifying person in the family home, they don't take that into account either.

• Sad
Reactions: 10
In theory yes. In practice it is a LOT harder than this. My dad ended up bed blocking for 5 months before eventually being sectioned because it wasn't safe for him to go home without a care package and they couldn't get a care package sorted. After 3 months sectioned to a secure psychiatric unit he was discharged to nursing home, thankfully paid for by continuing health care. But that was a battle in itself. If CHC hadn't been awarded it would have been down to my mum to pay whatever the council wouldn't of his £1200pw care package, and it isn't voluntary to pay what the council charge you. She is 73 working in asda and can't afford to heat her own home. Dad only had state pension and attendance allowance but that stops while you are in hospital.

Dementia is the "wrong disease". With cancer treatment is expensive and given freely in most cases. And then at end of life you can get hospices etc. All with no cost to the individual. But unfortunately with dementia yes you do have to pay in a lot of cases.
I'm sorry you and your Mum have had to go through all that. If anyone is getting pressured by the council to pay anything then they need to get proper legal advice. I honestly don't think your Mum could have been forced to make up the care package if she was low waged. They would have put a tie on the house but if she was over 60 then it couldn't have been sold from under her.

You can still do it, but is has to been done well in advance so it’s not a direct link to avoid fees (care/inherence etc) there is a lot more red tape than there used to be.
Deprivation of assets, there's a time limit on it nowadays. I used to deal with all this as a civil servant in my youth but I've forgotten most of it or the rules have changed. Currently trying to get help for my mum, 67 with dementia but it's hard to get anything at the moment even when she's escaping out of cars and running into shops screaming my dad's going to kill her. Police wouldn't section. Managed to get emergency respite last week but no psychiatrist will go to see her so she'll just end up dumped at home again and we'll be ringing the police/ambulance every night again. She has no capital so they just take her SRP and ATA to pay for the respite. If you have a spouse or other qualifying person in the family home, they don't take that into account either.
It used to be 7 years for deprivation of assets but now they will go further back. No one will get away with this these days, they will check with the land registry etc. I'm sorry for your problems as well. Opposite us had all this with their Mum and a good friend of mine with her Dad.x

Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.