Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #76

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'd love one of the big papers (prob only the Daily Mail has the clout even tho I hate it) to start a campaign to push for the NHS to be funded properly and for staff to be paid fairly.

I agree. I think as well it should be people from all walks of life. Politics is such an elitist career pathway. We need more people from every place and every religion. People who actually understand what needs improving cause they live it.
We should have a system where successful people (from whatever area) that have experience leave at 55 then work for 10 years in Govt to share their knowledge. What do Oxbridge graduates who have never worked elsewhere know?
I saw a documentary years ago, I think it was presented by Andrew Neil where he looked into how undiverse the govt was. A vast proportion of the cabinet did the same degree in the same University. Staggering.

Anyway, I'm off to watch TV .....

Reactions: 10
Video lessons were a complete tit show today. Half the Kids had their mics on so couldn’t hear what the teacher was saying and then as predicted my laptop froze and crashed halfway through. When we eventually got back online we’d missed the main part of the lesson and everyone was saying goodbye🤦🏻‍♀️😂

Honestly didn’t seem like we’d missed much though, not convinced these live lessons will work with such young kids (although the teachers are doing an amazing job under the circumstances). They managed to do the work anyway, so I think we’ll just be skipping those from now on. Even though it was nice for them to see their friends.
I'm 'that parent' if all the kids have their microphones on and we cant hear the teacher, I loudly announce it 'Mrs X, we can't hear you at all, just lots of other chatter, can you mute everyone please' 🤣 I've done it every single day since Wednesday, my son dies of embarrassment but I don't care. Try it tomorrow, I dare you 😉

• Haha
Reactions: 22
My MIL has just been put on a ventilator due to her covid. I'm now listening to my poor husband telling his dad in hospital the sad news.

I'm so mad and angry right now - if they had just locked down a couple of weeks earlier this wouldn't be happening. She has not broken a single rule - all she did was pop into a corner shop and now she's fighting for her life on a ventilator less than 3 weeks later.

Not sure why im putting this here but I just needed to get that out - im so sad and scared for her. Wishing I was religious so I could pray for her recovery but know so many people in the exact same position. This is a cruel and evil virus.
I’m so sorry. We really need a “care” emoji reaction on here.
I hope she pulls through. Hugs xx

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I said it, I predicted it months back, I said I’d be right.

- highest incidence rate in the world.
- largest increase rate of an country at ANY time in the pandemic.

probably about 20k vaccinated. 🤷‍♀️

On Dec 14, a government ad was published saying people could be "reassured" that restaurants + pubs were safe.

On Dec 17, NPHET advised the government to close restaurants + pubs.

On Dec 20, the CMO said people should "stay away" from restaurants + pubs (which were still open).

the most incompetent government of all time.
Even though the Republic isn't part of the UK like Northern Ireland is it's still a shame to me that the country is struggling. What's the situation like for vaccines?

Reactions: 1
Even though the Republic isn't part of the UK like Northern Ireland is it's still a shame to me that the country is struggling. What's the situation like for vaccines?
oh no no no no, we don’t talk about that, we ask no questions about that, see that mound of sand over there, you will find the head of every Irish resident buried in there 😐

40k a week is the plan, aside from that..

LOOK OVER THERE, ITS A KITTEN IN A BOWLER HAT PLAYING A PIANO!!

Yum....

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 5
This is a bit of a drop on last Monday... (cases wise) though we aren’t following a bank holiday i spose. Hopefully the downward trend continues now as tier 4 then lockdown effect kicks in 🤞🏻
View attachment 384341

Reactions: 6
I swear to god if I have to see Boris Johnson do that stupid elbow bump one more time so help me god.
Perfect example of a pointless breaking of social distancing. Idiot.

• Haha
Reactions: 19
oh no no no no, we don’t talk about that, we ask no questions about that, see that mound of sand over there, you will find the head of every Irish resident buried in there 😐

40k a week is the plan, aside from that..

LOOK OVER THERE, ITS A KITTEN IN A BOWLER HAT PLAYING A PIANO!!

Yum....

Being in the EU with so many different countries squabling over vaccine allocations will be tough. Hopefully your country can get as many of the country done as quickly as possible. The UK have bought enough to vaccinate everyone 5-6 times already so maybe instead of hoarding them we can share some down the line.

Reactions: 2
My worry is that even after all the vaccinations are rolled out and cases drop, there will no doubt still be an increase every winter, like there is with the flu, but the nhs has taken such a hammering it won't be able to cope with even a small increase in admissions. Not to mention the next flu virus that comes along, I mean lets face it, it may be the worst one but it's not as if there haven't been others, look at swine flu on 2009. I think the government need to take away more from this than just 'getting though' covid. The NHS needs so much more funding and support, keeping local hospitals open instead of centralising everything and reducing staff and resources. The number of acute care beds available even without covid is no where near what it should be. The NHS can barely cope at winter even without covid and the effort to play catch up with other illnesses, treatments and operations over the next few years will be immense. Unless more money is invested to create more beds and staff then I fear every winter from now on we will be threatened with a lockdown to save the NHS. It's been struggling for a while and unless serious changes are made I'm afraid lockdowns may become a common occurrence. Anyway that's two cents on the matter.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
For the first time I'm going into panic mode. OH just told me he's going for a routine eye test tomorrow and I don't want him to!

Late last year I had a problem with one of my eyes and needed to see my Optician twice. Both times he asked me to lower my mask below my nose in order for him to check me properly, and when he used his apparatus he lowered his mask too.

But now we have the new variant I can't see why routine eye tests are necessary. Surely if they waited a few weeks it would be better.

Reactions: 3
My worry is that even after all the vaccinations are rolled out and cases drop, there will no doubt still be an increase every winter, like there is with the flu, but the nhs has taken such a hammering it won't be able to cope with even a small increase in admissions. Not to mention the next flu virus that comes along, I mean lets face it, it may be the worst one but it's not as if there haven't been others, look at swine flu on 2009. I think the government need to take away more from this than just 'getting though' covid. The NHS needs so much more funding and support, keeping local hospitals open instead of centralising everything and reducing staff and resources. The number of acute care beds available even without covid is no where near what it should be. The NHS can barely cope at winter even without covid and the effort to play catch up with other illnesses, treatments and operations over the next few years will be immense. Unless more money is invested to create more beds and staff then I fear every winter from now on we will be threatened with a lockdown to save the NHS. It's been struggling for a while and unless serious changes are made I'm afraid lockdowns may become a common occurrence. Anyway that's two cents on the matter.
Best get ready to pay more income tax then.

The trouble with the calls for more funding for the NHS, is that that extra money ultimately has to come from one place ... the taxpayer ...

(I mean they could also ask starbucks and amazon to pay a bit more, but I don't think they will)

Reactions: 5
So Morrison and Sainsbury’s are going to challenge people without masks now? I think it’s time tbh. I understand some people can’t wear them but I would say 99% can and most are taking the piss. I do wonder how they are going to police it and who will take the brunt of the anger from customers.. most likely poor staff on minimum wage.

we definitely are too soft though there’s none of this exemption stuff in the US is there? People are turned away or asked to leave without a mask

• Heart
Reactions: 25
I honestly never see anyone not wearing a mask around here.

The rare occasion I have, they are 1 in a group where others are masked and have had a sunflower lanyard on so likely have an exception for medical reasons.

Reactions: 9
So Morrison and Sainsbury’s are going to challenge people without masks now? I think it’s time tbh. I understand some people can’t wear them but I would say 99% can and most are taking the piss. I do wonder how they are going to police it and who will take the brunt of the anger from customers.. most likely poor staff on minimum wage.

we definitely are too soft though there’s none of this exemption stuff in the US is there? People are turned away or asked to leave without a mask
Indeed. I know there will be genuine exceptions to this but mask wearing protects others and they don’t have a right to endanger the health of others. There are other options like click and collect, delivery and having a friend/neighbour drop shopping off.

I see plenty of it in central Manchester. Usually young men, teens or middle aged women

Reactions: 11
I totally agree. They need to fix the root of the problem. Controversial but honestly I think the NHS is no longer fit for purpose, it needs to change drastically at management level and above, or it needs to be replaced. This is coming from someone who works in the NHS.

Reactions: 12
Best get ready to pay more income tax then.

The trouble with the calls for more funding for the NHS, is that that extra money ultimately has to come from one place ... the taxpayer ...

(I mean they could also ask starbucks and amazon to pay a bit more, but I don't think they will)
I'd quite happily pay more income tax if I knew it was going to be used to really improve public services. I imagine there is a great waste in spending of our income tax already, I'd like to see more transparency of how it is actually spent. But back to the issue at hand, the nhs needing more funding one way or another.

Reactions: 12
For the first time I'm going into panic mode. OH just told me he's going for a routine eye test tomorrow and I don't want him to!

Late last year I had a problem with one of my eyes and needed to see my Optician twice. Both times he asked me to lower my mask below my nose in order for him to check me properly, and when he used his apparatus he lowered his mask too.

But now we have the new variant I can't see why routine eye tests are necessary. Surely if they waited a few weeks it would be better.
We've had word that our optician and our dentist are open for routine appointments during this lockdown. I'm desperate for some contacts instead of my glasses, and I need a filling but not sure I actually want to go through with an appointment.

Reactions: 2

As someone who works in retail, I can say this is nigh on impossible to manage. Customers go into "shopping mode" when entering a shop, and woe betide any "wee woman" (ie, me) telling them what to do!
"I can't wear a mask, I have XYZ wrong with me" they say as they breeze on by to buy their 20 fags and a bottle of wine.
"Fair enough" I reply "could you please sanitise your hands?"
"Oooh I just did it before I came in" or "I can't use that stuff, it gives me dermatitis"
So, yeah...good luck with that.

• Sad
Reactions: 17
As someone who works in retail, I can say this is nigh on impossible to manage. Customers go into "shopping mode" when entering a shop, and woe betide any "wee woman" (ie, me) telling them what to do!
"I can't wear a mask, I have XYZ wrong with me" they say as they breeze on by to buy their 20 fags and a bottle of wine.
"Fair enough" I reply "could you please sanitise your hands?"
"Oooh I just did it before I came in" or "I can't use that stuff, it gives me dermatitis"
So, yeah...good luck with that.
I read that Sainsbury’s are employing security to be front door and implement this but whether that will happen is another thing. It does sound impossible. As I said before we shouldn’t have been so soft to start with tbh

Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.