Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #76

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
They also should never have taken their foot off the gas in the summer when they thought cases were dropping, I mean sending schools back as normal, when teachers had begun planning for distance learning and that whole eat out to help out, it's done far more harmer than good to peoples health and lively hoods. Yes there was pressure to ease restrictions but If it was managed better when cases were low, I don't think we would be in this position now. They also need to be honest about the schools, no one wants kids to miss out and I don't know what the answer is but at least be honest with us....the cases started rising drastically when the kids went back to school, there are no two ways about it. It certainly wasn't sandra's cafe round the corner serving two folk at a time that was spreading it like wildfire.

Reactions: 13
So Morrison and Sainsbury’s are going to challenge people without masks now? I think it’s time tbh. I understand some people can’t wear them but I would say 99% can and most are taking the piss. I do wonder how they are going to police it and who will take the brunt of the anger from customers.. most likely poor staff on minimum wage.

we definitely are too soft though there’s none of this exemption stuff in the US is there? People are turned away or asked to leave without a mask
Then Morrisons and Sainsburys will probably find out quite soon that they need proper tough nightclub bouncers on the doors.

I work in a supermarket (neither of those two), the training they give us (and I'm sure it's the same in other supermarkets) is 500% "under no circumstances get into any situation where you would be putting yourself in danger" and they made us watch videos where the staff don't confront or try to stop shoplifters etc, and the message was the bottle of whiskey they want to rob is £30, you being stabbed is a lot more expensive for us, so just let them have it. So it's a bit of a message conflict if they now expect ordinary supermarket staff to get tough with mask avoiders.

There are three people that do the job of standing on the door of my supermarket (they call them queue marshalls now), one is a skinny young guy who probably is quite handy with his martial arts if provoked but the other two are little old ladies in a security guard uniform. I'm never quite sure if it being them that they've employed to mind the door is a reflection on how nice and peaceful my city is, or a deliberate tactic to defuse any confrontation as nobody wants to get angry with a little old dear, do they?

Reactions: 10
Being in the EU with so many different countries squabling over vaccine allocations will be tough. Hopefully your country can get as many of the country done as quickly as possible. The UK have bought enough to vaccinate everyone 5-6 times already so maybe instead of hoarding them we can share some down the line.
The UK is donating billions to give vaccine to developing countries and part of the who scheme covax.
For some reason European medical agency still haven't approved Oxford the cheapest not for profit jab at normal storage temp and manufactured in Belgium.
So do they buy as one big groups then allocate to each eu region or can countries within the eu do their own thing?

Reactions: 4
The problem with NHS (and this comes from someone who grew up in a country with free healthcare too) is that there isn’t another option. I am Russian, and private healthcare there is relatively cheap - as a student I couldn’t afford an insurance but I could afford a visit to a particular doctor with a particular problem. It meant that I didn’t actually use state healthcare since I was 18 years old, which meant that the appointments were used by people who couldn’t afford a visit to a private doctor. Here only really rich people can afford private doctors, not an average middle class person. If it was cheaper, pressure would be relieved from NHS by removing a lot of people who go in to see a doctor with every sneeze they have.
Another problem is that NHS was created in simpler times in terms of medical science. In the 60s and 60s we didn’t do complicated heart surgeries, surgery on transgender people, a lot of neonatal care etc. I am NOT saying that all those things should be privatised. However, there needs to be a review on what exactly NHS is meant to provide in terms of care - for example here on the threads bed blockers have been mentioned - people who shouldn’t be in hospitals, but there is nowhere you can discharge them. There should be other facilities for people like that, possibly partly funded by the patient maybe?
I am foreign and we have to pay for the use of NHS, which we are very happy to do. However I would like to see people on investors visas pay more. On a Tier 1 Investment Visa a person has to invest at least £2 million into UK, and the more you invest, the faster you can get your settlement. Surely these people can spare £500 thousand (or maybe more?) to “give” to NHS? I believe that there were around 300 investor visas issued in 2018, how great would it be if these 300 people also had to invest a £1 million each into public services like NHS, police, schools, etc? Or even better, invest £2 million into the economy and then the more you spend on public services, the faster you get your settlement?

Reactions: 14
Then Morrisons and Sainsburys will probably find out quite soon that they need proper tough nightclub bouncers on the doors.

I work in a supermarket (neither of those two), the training they give us (and I'm sure it's the same in other supermarkets) is 500% "under no circumstances get into any situation where you would be putting yourself in danger" and they made us watch videos where the staff don't confront or try to stop shoplifters etc, and the message was the bottle of whiskey they want to rob is £30, you being stabbed is a lot more expensive for us, so just let them have it. So it's a bit of a message conflict if they now expect ordinary supermarket staff to get tough with mask avoiders.

There are three people that do the job of standing on the door of my supermarket (they call them queue marshalls now), one is a skinny young guy who probably is quite handy with his martial arts if provoked but the other two are little old ladies in a security guard uniform. I'm never quite sure if it being them that they've employed to mind the door is a reflection on how nice and peaceful my city is, or a deliberate tactic to defuse any confrontation as nobody wants to get angry with a little old dear, do they?
apparent Sainsbury’s are employing more security to be the front of door. Who knows how it’s gonna work

Supermarket workers don’t get paid anywhere near enough to deal with the tit that the Great British Public will dole out to them. They’ll need to get tough security guards or even police to enforce it.

Reactions: 32
I read that Sainsbury’s are employing security to be front door and implement this but whether that will happen is another thing. It does sound impossible. As I said before we shouldn’t have been so soft to start with tbh
Back in March we were given security guards when the queues first came in. The rest of the time it’s just been down to colleagues to sort.

View attachment 384539

Really hope by the time I go back to work in September things are more ‘normal’ 😖

Reactions: 1
Correction to my earlier post.
The number of granted Tier 1 investor visaspeaked in 2014 (1,172). Last year the figure stood at 350, with the highest numbers going to Chinese and Russian investors.
So just in 2018 it was 350, and who knows how many more over the years. Would have been brilliant to make these people spend some money on the NHS.

Reactions: 2
Honestly I never see anyone without masks either, see a fair few penis noses hanging out by the older generation but generally everyone wearing masks.

School is a bigger issue where I think only 60% of parents wear masks, even more obvious now with so few there it’s all the vulnerable kids parents not wearing them.

• Sad
Reactions: 3
Supermarket workers don’t get paid anywhere near enough to deal with the tit that the Great British Public will dole out to them. They’ll need to get tough security guards or even police to enforce it.
Tesco and Aldi will have to turn their fancy traffic lights off and put big beefy bouncers back on the doors.

Did I hear right at the conference that 88% of deaths (or in ITC) are from the the top four groups?

Reactions: 2
Honestly I never see anyone without masks either, see a fair few penis noses hanging out by the older generation but generally everyone wearing masks.

School is a bigger issue where I think only 60% of parents wear masks, even more obvious now with so few there it’s all the vulnerable kids parents not wearing them.
Christ, I'm about to switch off the light and go to sleep and "penis nose" are the last words I read!! 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 13
The problem with NHS (and this comes from someone who grew up in a country with free healthcare too) is that there isn’t another option. I am Russian, and private healthcare there is relatively cheap - as a student I couldn’t afford an insurance but I could afford a visit to a particular doctor with a particular problem. It meant that I didn’t actually use state healthcare since I was 18 years old, which meant that the appointments were used by people who couldn’t afford a visit to a private doctor. Here only really rich people can afford private doctors, not an average middle class person. If it was cheaper, pressure would be relieved from NHS by removing a lot of people who go in to see a doctor with every sneeze they have.
Another problem is that NHS was created in simpler times in terms of medical science. In the 60s and 60s we didn’t do complicated heart surgeries, surgery on transgender people, a lot of neonatal care etc. I am NOT saying that all those things should be privatised. However, there needs to be a review on what exactly NHS is meant to provide in terms of care - for example here on the threads bed blockers have been mentioned - people who shouldn’t be in hospitals, but there is nowhere you can discharge them. There should be other facilities for people like that, possibly partly funded by the patient maybe?
I am foreign and we have to pay for the use of NHS, which we are very happy to do. However I would like to see people on investors visas pay more. On a Tier 1 Investment Visa a person has to invest at least £2 million into UK, and the more you invest, the faster you can get your settlement. Surely these people can spare £500 thousand (or maybe more?) to “give” to NHS? I believe that there were around 300 investor visas issued in 2018, how great would it be if these 300 people also had to invest a £1 million each into public services like NHS, police, schools, etc? Or even better, invest £2 million into the economy and then the more you spend on public services, the faster you get your settlement?
Plenty of people in the U.K pay for private health care, its not just the very rich. Before Covid, the waiting lists for some popular operations were ages like 2 years when its supposed to be 18 weeks etc.Thats when its gets people who are in a lot of pain, if they have savings then many will pay.
Many council nursing homes etc have shut down due to underfunding etc, that's one of the reasons why people end up being stuck in hospitals when they should be in nursing homes. Plus it can cost upwards of a grand per week and no one wants to pay for it.Thats the bottom line.

Did I hear right at the conference that 88% of deaths (or in ITC) are from the the top four groups?
And I think 50+ makes up 99% of deaths so it's brilliant that they should all get a jab by May.

We should at the very least get a normal summer where second doses can be dished out without any restrictions and then once that is done start on any healthy under 50s who want it.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I can’t see people taking to being challenged very well tbh although I can really see why it needs to be put in place and I think people are exploiting the exemption rule, yes a fair few will be exempt but not everyone surely. Waaaayyy back at the beginning of lockdown 1 I swear mask-challenging was a thing on buses, I remember the fuss over needing an exemption letter/proof of exemption if you didn’t have a mask on the bus, if you had no proof and no mask you‘d be refused the journey, and there was someone walking the length of the bus (outside) before the journey could commence to ensure everyone was masked up. Since supermarkets are the only place we’re allowed to congregate legally nowadays 🤣 I don’t see why they shouldn’t challenge people. Although don’t think it will be easy to manage.

Weeks ago when restrictions weren’t as tight I was buying Christmas presents in a jam packed shop and there was a man without a mask on. Cashier challenged him and requested he either leave or put a mask on to enter the store. The man refused, stepped inside, made a point of sneering and laughing with his wife about not wearing a mask. He got closer and closer to the till queue (and myself, stood there waiting to be served) and again the cashier requested he put a mask on. Now this man is getting irate, red, nearly snarling to his wife, ‘no I won’t wear a mask, no I won’t, who does he think he is’. Both laughing and joking about it in the next breath.
Cashier asked a third time and the man whirls around to face the cashier, proper snarling, starts coming out with ‘you aren’t the boss of me, how dare you request I wear a mask, if I want to enter this store without a mask I will, the government have made up this bullshit rule, it isn’t law’, and the poor cashier looked really unnerved, there was little else he could do short of manhandling the guy tbh, he just quietly said it was his job and he had to request people wore masks in Store or he would be sacked, the man just shrugged and said ‘I’m exempt‘. The cashier backed down immediately, that was that - then the man walked out anyway saying he didn’t want to put money in anyone’s pockets who forced him to wear a mask! It was really unnerving for me stood in front of him in the queue so god knows how the cashier felt - I’d HATE to work in retail having to deal with wankstains like this. And I think it was obvious he was flouting the exemption rule as surely you don’t come out with the whole Hokey Cokey you just say I’m exempt and move on. Yes it’s not nice to be challenged and have to explain yourself but it is a necessary thing.

• Sad
Reactions: 14
So Morrison and Sainsbury’s are going to challenge people without masks now? I think it’s time tbh. I understand some people can’t wear them but I would say 99% can and most are taking the piss. I do wonder how they are going to police it and who will take the brunt of the anger from customers.. most likely poor staff on minimum wage.

we definitely are too soft though there’s none of this exemption stuff in the US is there? People are turned away or asked to leave without a mask
Costco here (Canada) started doing that. They stopped allowing exemptions for masks. People have been arrested by police for not complying with rules on private property. Some retail stores also have outsourced security to deal with it.

Reactions: 1
My local Morrison’s has challenged people the whole time. I saw a family/group of over 9 trying to get in at the weekend, multiple adults and they weren’t even young kids, they were all teenagers ffs.

Plenty of people in the U.K pay for private health care, its not just the very rich. Before Covid, the waiting lists for some popular operations were ages like 2 years when its supposed to be 18 weeks etc.Thats when its gets people who are in a lot of pain, if they have savings then many will pay.
Many council nursing homes etc have shut down due to underfunding etc, that's one of the reasons why people end up being stuck in hospitals when they should be in nursing homes. Plus it can cost upwards of a grand per week and no one wants to pay for it.Thats the bottom line.
But can an average student afford private healthcare? No. And apparently 5 years ago only 10% of the population had private health insurance - unfortunately that is the very rich part of the population (https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/jan/16/private-medical-insurance-sales-surge-health-nhs).
I understand that everyone would like to have free council nursing homes, but as I said, it could be at least partially funded by the patient, probably in proportion to their income. And if we are talking about government payed care, we have a huge disparity between people who are physically vs mentally not able to care about themselves. You can get some funding if you are physically not able, but if you have dementia there is no state support in terms of care. If relatives of people with dementia have to have a full burden ofthe cost of care for their relatives, I am sure there could be some provisions made for people who are just waiting for their home to be altered/care home place to be ready/other arrangements to be put in place rather than just occupying a bed in a hospital.

Being in the EU with so many different countries squabling over vaccine allocations will be tough. Hopefully your country can get as many of the country done as quickly as possible. The UK have bought enough to vaccinate everyone 5-6 times already so maybe instead of hoarding them we can share some down the line.
i can’t see the uk sharing anything with the republic 😂😂

We struggle to “share” 6 counties 😂

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.