Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #41

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
They say it’s like 80% of care homes/care home beds that are privately owned. How have some care homes escaped covid completely/controlled it yet some been ravaged? That to me says it’s more the practice within the care home over anything else.

They would be responsible for their own plan of action and their own PPE supply. Yes they needed guidance from the government as it was an unknown but the PPE for most infectious diseases remains very similar.

I don’t think the blame lies all with the government, although what has happened within care homes is despicable. The owners of these homes need to take some accountability as well.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
It's bullshit. These care homes are charging £1000 and up A WEEK, in most cases very much more than that. At those rates I'm sorry but they DO have some responsibility. They are private companies and should have had their own massive stocks of proper PPE and good procedures for dealing with infectious diseases already in place, after all they should already be used to preventing outbreaks of flu, norovirus and worse stuff Every Single Year.

As for testing, what was stopping the care homes doing their own testing of new patients on their way in, as hospitals are religiously doing now if you try going to A&E or before you are admitted to any ward. Any testing the care industry is claiming the NHS could or should have done, they could equally have done before letting any new patients mingle with their existing ones, and employed simple isolation for a day or two until results came back. The reality is that the greedy care companies COULDN'T WAIT to get new patients into their beds and care homes so they could start cashing in on as many as possible of those aforementioned £1000+ a week fees!

They're private companies, why didn't they have PPE stocks already in place?
Totally agree, I work for a small private organisation who deliver support to adults with learning disabilities. Our CEO made sure that all the staff has sufficient PPE from the start, paid out the organisation and we searched the internet high and low for any sources of PPE, luckily we have had no cases of COVID within the vulnerable adults however we had some within the staff, but because they had the right PPE from the start then it wasnt transferred to any of our service users!! Now we get it for free from the government but it has taken us about 3 months before we started getting it for free. So I believe some of these private care homes could have taken some responsibility with PPE and not blamed the government

• Heart

Yel

Is that it? I was expecting more helicopter money than that!

Reactions: 6
Disappointing I thought I was getting a Primark spree 😂

edited for spelling mistake lol

• Haha
I had a call from a London hospital today about a cancelled March non urgent operation. They asked if I wanted to go back in the list and I said yes. I was told that I would be sent a COVID-19 test by a courier two days before the operation and that it would be collected by a courier. This would be after self isolating two weeks beforehand. If it’s positive, the operation would be cancelled. I would have to be driven to the hospital by someone, but not in a taxi and collected by someone. If that’s not possible, then hospital transport would be sent for me. These decisions were taken by this hospital about a month ago. Anyone heard anything similar?

Reactions: 2

Yel

Think so. Only for August as well, I'm happy to get a cheap meal 🤣
I can't believe that was it after the billions spent on furlough. I was expecting more like £200.

Reactions: 1
I like the sound of the food vouchers, but they are only valid from Monday to Wednesday, which is not when most people would go out anyway. I like the idea but I think it is too restrictive.

Also, I noticed that the Government said they will pay a £1000 bonus for each employee who is taken off furlough and earning the minimum wage to pay NICs if they are kept on to work until January. Rishi then followed this by saying that grants of £2000 would be paid to employers for each new hire of a 16-24 year old. Call me cynical, but won’t a lot of businesses just make anyone redundant who is furloughed so that they can get a better cash injection by hiring a young person?

Reactions: 4
I like the sound of the food vouchers, but they are only valid from Monday to Wednesday, which is not when most people would go out anyway. I like the idea but I think it is too restrictive.

Also, I noticed that the Government said they will pay a £1000 bonus for each employee who is taken off furlough and earning the minimum wage to pay NICs if they are kept on to work until January. Rishi then followed this by saying that grants if £2000 would be paid to employers for each new hire of a 16-24 year old. Call me cynical, but won’t a lot of businesses just make anyone redundant who is furloughed so that they can get a better cash injection by hiring a young person?
Totally agree about the bonus for staff!

£1000 mostly hardly covers a months wage wonder if companies will still proceed with redundancies

Reactions: 2
As someone who loves eating out and does it probably way too often, I’m pretty happy I can do it for cheaper 😂😂

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.