Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Miss Havisham

VIP Member
Question, because i see alot on here about how after certain events we expect an increase in a few weeks. Are they now saying it normally takes a few weeks to show? Or do you guys mean an increase in deaths in a few weeks?

I'd have thought we'd start seeing positive tests go up within the next 7 days somewhat if the protests had an effect but not sure what the average incubation period is? I know it can be up to 2 weeks but I'd have thought it's normally within a few days(literally me guessing though)
I think it depends. Transmission starts period of infection - for the initial infected individual, e.g if someone can hold the infection for 7 days - they could be in contact with different people over that period. They may not show symptoms straight away etc, and then be in contact with different folk over their infection period. It could be weeks, rather than days, if infections increase again.

Jc456

VIP Member
Haha! Bit late now... maybe the SW are still expecting their peak. To be honest I think the one here only ever had about 15 patients in it at a time.
They only started it about 3 weeks ago. Makes you wonder if they are expecting it to get bad again

bubbletea123

VIP Member
That video seems to be latching onto things in a very uninformed way. Of course the lockdown measures use behavioural science as a foundation, so does basically everything. They even said at the start when the public were crying out for harsher restrictions to be brought in that they were basing their timing of lockdown on behavioural science because the modelling shows people will only abide by strict lockdowns for so long.

Also seems totally irrelevant to complain there is no humanity or compassion in a scientific document. That isn't what the topic was about, have these people ever read a scientific paper before??

Edit - Just got to the end of the video. So the takeaway is Boris is lying to the public about a mild, winter virus, lying about deaths and using it to control people. Right... so what about Italy? The US? Spain?
Somehow the gov are simultaneously lying about a virus which is actually no big deal but also murdering the elderly? How can both those things be true at the same time? :rolleyes:
A load of shite. What about Canada too? That would mean all of the governments were in on it which is nonsense.

Cocobean

VIP Member
What are people’s thoughts on holidays abroad? A few weeks ago I thought there was 0 chance but I’m seeing Ibiza clubs etc stating that they are opening and people on social media seem convinced they are going!

Despite how quickly our government are relaxing the rules, I can’t see other countries welcoming UK residents when we have the highest death rates in Europe ??
I posted this in the last thread.
Cocobean said:
Friend of mine works for a large travel agent, and she has been taking calls for the FCO to help repatriate, find travel etc, however they told her last week that her contract will be ending tomorrow even though the calls are still relentless, so she thinks the FCO travel ban is about to get lifted, or revised in some way to allow travel, holidays and the tourism economy to start getting back to normal. She also thinks that hotels, and travel companies will be doing everything they can to ensure safety, a fairly normal holiday and the hotels will be making sure everything is top notch to ensure there is no backlash and court cases.

Newcastle airport is open apparently, although no food places or bars are open, and all the duty free is closed. (bang goes the obligatory 5am pint pic!)

Abcd123

VIP Member
I am honestly so fed up of this coronavirus shit and so glad that we are finally opening things up.

I honestly am starting to believe the reaction to the virus was blown completely out of proportion.

Our province has a population of 4.5 million and 6.5 thousand people got the virus. We closed everything in March but never went into full lockdown, we were still allowed outside multiple times and stores such as Home Depot, Staples etc stayed open.

Out of 4.5 million people, only 145 have died and those have mainly been in their 80s and 90s. I am thinking that we should have put a shield on those 65+ but younger people could still go to work, perhaps wearing masks.

I know there is no point dwelling on it now but I'm just frustrated at the state of the economy when the virus has not been that bad. We've only had 50 people in hospital and 8 in the ICU...out of a population of 4.5 million.

Surely if the virus was THAT spreadable, everyone that goes to then grocery store would have got it?

Even going to the stores now is miserable. I wore my mask yesterday and went to one but the stock was low and I almost felt bad for lifting things up to look at them. It was Homesense so a store that you browse.

My fiancé is on the redeployment list for work. Now their goal for him is to be a VP eventually one day so they're doing it to try and expand his skills and because he's adaptable. But he is a team lead right now and is having to think of how to explain it to his team. In a time like this, it sounds bad and he couldn't say: oh cause they see potential in me, when others are being redeployed so they don't have to be laid off. And of course, he could still get laid off and the stress of that is killing me. People need to start going back to work asap.

It is all just such bullshit and I'm ready for it to be over.

Edit to add: Our province has a very young population which is why I think we have faired ok. It seems countries/provinces with high deaths have a higher older population.
Those numbers of 4.5millon Vs 145 are very positive.
I could, but what about the other people in the house? Also cutting hair with gloves on is not easy 😩
Could you ask that they provide anti bac wipes or Dettol to wipe down the surfaces? Sink/taps so you can wash your equipment? (I'm just trying to think about what you could do that and would be doing).

End of the day, you're going to be in demand so customers will and should clean the areas that you'll be using I'd they want you to do their hair.

Tublet83

VIP Member
it's very awkward. I know it's not easy to figure out what to do & it's not necessarily anyones fault, but I'm really concerned about it. People will definitely use family, even if it goes against 'guidelines'.
Yup we’ve had too. Had no choice, all my office has had to the same due to lack of childcare 😬

ok I’m confused my school had already risk assessed getting all primary year groups back on the 22nd and had confirmed a phased opening (with limited numbers of pupils). Does this announcement mean the school can’t now deliver this or just schools are given a choice (which most were anyway?)

prinnygrace

VIP Member
Is it the deaths that have occurred outside the NHS
I genuinely have no idea, maybe?? It just makes following it so difficult. Leaves everyone feeling a bit disheartened seeing such a jump. Stupid how many times the way of reporting the figures has been changed

Squarehole

VIP Member
I wouldn't be going abroad but if I did, I'd be nowhere near a club in Ibiza! However I did my best clubbing 20 years ago! Younger people seem to have taken their own risk assessments though and decided they arent at risk. Why has the government made it illegal for people from different households to have sex? It was prohibited in the first place, so there must have been enough of an issue with people maybe living alone but in relationships popping round to their boyfriend/ girlfriend/fwb house for a bit of slap and tickle. I bet poor Matt Hancock was too embarrassed to tell people not to do it so they had to make it illegal 😄
They haven't specifically made sex illegal though they are just making the 6 people outside and no two households inside thing legal I'm guessing because they are expecting people to start taking the piss now things are lifting ?

wizardora

Has anyone’s school/childcare said anything about terminating contracts (if nursery/childminder) or asking child to remain at home for 2 weeks if they are found to not be adhering to social distancing outside of school times?
Our childminder has said she cannot look after any children who aren’t social distancing whilst with us, or if being looked after by someone else at any point and she can terminate the contract with immediate effect if found to be breaching restrictions.

also a school close to us(not my kids’) have said about asking child to remain at home if breaching it (not sure how they’ll police that!)

fireflies

VIP Member
I haven’t been wearing mine, I thought I’d wait until they made it mandatory but I might start to, just to be safe. And that... I’d feel guilty too if I found out I did have it and passed it on.

Now, if I could convince my four year old to wear hers... 🤔😂
Well neither government or the who consistant mask wearing.

Me and my kids wear masks when out.
I try do 1 big aldi shop once every 2 weeks.
Then use corner shop or supermarket where I work as top ups so staying very local.

I don't wear a mask at work and wondering of I should.
I'm ok on till as perspex screens
But maybe on shop floor I should .
Also it's been near impossible 2 metres apart from staff during this time as much as I try and when putting stock out customers get too close.
Not all customers wear masks.
No issues masks in hospitals or public transport that seems wise.

Going to order some nice cloth ones.

monga

VIP Member
this was me, we had a few people picked up as positive through asymptomatic swabbing but when they had the antibody test it came back negative
We were just discussing the WHO they've put out more contrary findings again...

Abcd123

VIP Member
As a hairdresser, I’m not sure other hairdressers can be giving a definite date....we only know as much as everyone else!

I go to people’s houses, I don’t see how it’s going to be possible for me to get back to work, safely, if I worked in a salon I would be in control of infection control and cleaning, but as it is I will be going into multiple peoples houses, not knowing how clean it is.

Also with PPE, would I be expected to provide ppe, there’s already a shortage of PPE, and with every barber and hairdressers needing it, as well as dentists, people using public transport it’s going to be impossible 😩
Could you ask that all clients wear their own mask and gloves and that you'll do the same? (Changing gloves for every household). Just an idea x

Tublet83

VIP Member
I don't think ours will be able to take many more on. There's 5 in the key worker class 2 are siblings so sit at the same table and there's 1 empty desk. The other class and school hall are the same size so can only fit another 10 out of 50/60
Mine can take 12 per class of 30, but it’s a modern school and each classroom has its own toilets etc

Northeast1988

VIP Member
If there is no all inclusive buffet, I am out haha. I messaged my mum last night about buffets - if when restaurants reopen Harvester has no free salad bar and Toby isn't self serve I'm protesting 😂

(Jokes of course before anyone gets their knicks in a twist about how people are dying and all i care about is free salad 🤪)
Haha I’m not a fan of them anyway , not the best when it comes to food standards like

bubbletea123

VIP Member
WTF. This is a complete 180 of what they have been saying for MONTHS while people are in LOCKDOWN. I no longer trust what they say. In January, they tweeted that it couldn't spread from human to human. Then they said "no masks" then "WEAR masks." I don't think they know what they are talking about.

Sooo it seems there is a difference between presymptomatic and asymptomatic.
Presymptomatic: can infect before showing symptoms.
Asymptomatic: never shows symptoms.

Apparently asymptomatic rarely infects people... makes you wonder though.

Pixipoppy

VIP Member
My mum works as a cleaner at a hospital and had her test back to say they have detected antibodies which looks like at some point she has had it. She is not in a good place today shes struggling with the concept that she could have unwittingly given it to someone as has worked throughout (never had any symptoms). Has anyone else had the antibody test yet x
Still waiting to even hear anything about us getting one. No mention at all of it!

JoeBloggs

VIP Member
Doesn’t apply to health care workers in the sense of if you come into contact with someone whose positive , we don’t isolate (we would if we develop symptoms) but not on the basis we come into contact with them
I appreciate that, but in terms of the general public. All I’m trying to say is there is no limit to how many times you may need to isolate, it’s not necessarily a one off thing.

Cocobean

VIP Member
My hotel isn’t too bad , they are in talks of allocating sun loungers to each guest and closing off all the all inclusive restaurants but I’m in a upgraded room with private pool and free mini bar so it’s not too bad x
Howdy fellow North easterner !

When I was speaking to the travel agent this morning she said airlines and hotels are going above and beyond to make sure all is OK and we get the holiday we've paid for but it remains to be seen. Newcastle Airport is open but no shops bars or duty free. Im going to gran canaria (if it goes ahead) so will have to stock up on drink for the room if the all inclusive is a bit limited.

We dont know how bad it is til we go though. We've gotta start somewhere right?