Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #34

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I am South West and equally confused
We know Gloucestershire had a spike
Maybe due to Cheltenham.
We knew we were few weeks behind London
Not sure numbers Devon Cornwall or Wiltshire.
I do read numbers for banes north Somerset bristol and South glos.
Do they mean the cities as they are very busy last few weeks like lockdown has not happened.
I think southmead is fairly quiet and the nightingale empty.
However there's regular travel between Midlands and wakes which have already had their peak so may be that's why South West now worth.

Our South West primary head has refused open up school next month it's still just keyworkers and the vunerable.
I spoke to my friend who is working in a hospital in the south west. She told me they have been told to expect (and are preparing) for their ‘wave’ in August.

Reactions: 1
I feel this myself o have spent 2 months not going anywhere apart from supermarket and walks and the thought of going back to normal makes me feel so uneasy especially as I know nothing has changed in terms of the virus just the strain on the NHS.

I really worry how my kids are going to react as they have only been on walks and we have spent the last two months telling them to keep their distance from people and not seeing anyone. How do I explain to them when they need to go back to school /life that no the virus is not gone so they still need to wash their hands, stay 2 meters from people but they have to go to school and back to going out. I am worried they will be very anxious and confused !
Of course it’s scary and worrying, but I believe their teachers will do their very best to help our kids adjust to this new normal. We need to have faith in teachers, who are going into this daily, under immense pressure. They care for our kids and will handle this in the very best way they can. I’m confident of that.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
My partner has gone to London today for work. We live in the East Midlands... his work colleague is driving them down directly to the hotel, then they are walking to where they need to be from there. There’s probably more risk in me doing our weekly shop in Asda, yet it’s made me feel uneasy!

I’ve just been out running and it’s like the world has gone back to normal, the amount of cars on the road was crazy! Where is everyone going?!

• Angry
Reactions: 2
Regarding the procedure. It’s absolutely fine. I had it done twice , once to cut the mole to check if it was melanoma, and when it did come back positive, they had to go back in and remove more
Skin and into the deeper layers too. I went in a
Nervous wreck and asked the nurses if I could play my absolute radio and they were happy for me to blast it 🤣🤣 they even sang with me.
I had no pain afterwards, and it healed pretty fast too. Don’t worry, it’s a quick and painless procedure
❤❤❤❤
Thank you so much 💕

Had a letter from the school. They will be reopening but only have space for Nursery/Reception and Year 1, they cant accommodate Year 6, so going forward over the month i dont see how they can 'invite' years 2 upwards in to school.
They have asked you only send your child if you have no other option. All children will be in groups of 8, to allow them to stick to social distancing. Nursery are on a part time basis. Reception and Year 1 4 days a week. Staggered drop off and pick up. They will keep siblings in the same 'bubble'.
Absolutely nothing is to be brought to school, school will provide a packed lunch that must be eaten in the classroom, they are asking children to wear clean uniform each day. Parents must abide by the social distancing rules in the playground and staff will call the children in from the door, parents are not permitted to get closer than 2 meters to the staff.
Children won't be with their own teachers as they've said that isn't possible due to staff sheilding etc.
Keyworker children are being kept seperate and have a different entrance/exit to use from all other children.
Desks in reception and year 1 will be spaced 2 meters apart. All soft furnishings, books, toys, sand, playdoh etc wont be available. They won't be teaching the curriculum, all children attending school will sit at their desk and work through the home learning that has been set for everyone. Teachers will be available to help with it.
They will be cleaning the toilet after every child has used it, in a mask, gloves and apron.

There was so much information, i think they've covered every possible base. They said they wanted parents to be fully informed so they had all the facts when making their decision and also so they could prewarn children about the changes.
They are going to do a video walk through of what the school now looks like as well to help those children who will attend see the changes and not be so frightened.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Youngest son lost a tooth yesterday. Diligently placed it under his pillow only for me and my husband to both forget to exchange it for a coin. Oops.

He comes down this morning and I'm trying to cover our mistake. I say to him well maybe she's busy, pop it back under your pillow again tonight. Also, (trying to keep it topical), maybe toothfairy isn't coming into homes right now because of lockdown? He gives me a withering look, doesn't skip a beat and replies "Mum the toothfairy has got to be a keyworker-that's the kind of thing Boris would have sorted out ages ago."

He's 9....going on 49 this kid.....

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 29
Sorry if this has already been discussed but why is Piers Morgan saying theres been 62k deaths in the UK? Where did he get this figure?
And the drop in testing is shocking. Matt Hancock has a lot to answer for!! But again, WHERE IS BORIS!?
He’s probably adding the excess non-COVID deaths to the official figure. Every Tuesday, the ONS release death figures from all causes during that week (two week lag, and this figure only covers England & Wales, not sure about Scotland/NI stats). For weeks, deaths have been far higher than normal - the latest stats are affected by the bank holiday but the previous week’s excess deaths (not listed as COVID) was 1,977 more than then 5 year average for that week.

The ONS are investigating why this is. On Tuesday a spokesperson stated that some of the causes of death which were higher than normal were respiratory illnesses, old age/frailty, and Alzheimer’s/dementia. The first two are pretty self explanatory as to why they may have been COVID but were not recorded as such. He speculated some Alzheimer’s/dementia cases could have been undetected COVID due to poor communication. He also said that some of these deaths could have been an indirect result of the situation - less support services being available due to restrictions and increased pressure, avoiding seeking medical attention

It’s hard to work out an exact figure but the only conclusion that makes sense to me is that COVID deaths are being underreported (though I do think people are also dying due to lack of support/not accessing the NHS for other reasons too)

Boris did PMQs as usual yesterday but apart from that, no idea 🤷🏻‍♀️

I spoke to my friend who is working in a hospital in the south west. She told me they have been told to expect (and are preparing) for their ‘wave’ in August.
😔 am in the south west so this is scary and sad. I felt we might just be able to keep our cases low in hospital as they have been. Though not the case for the whole SW where i live we don't really have much public transport etc so there's not loads opportunities for community transmission.

It's also not culturally diverse at all and we don't have many ethnic minorities living here which i also felt may have contributed (as it's been reported that they are worst affected) to the lower hospitalization numbers. On the other hand it can also be referred to as gods waiting room due to the high number of elderly people and care homes so swings and rounabouts i suppose...

Sorry that was just a brain dump of my confusion around SW having the second highest R but the lowest cases in the UK.

Reactions: 4
Unpopular opinion alert.
send the kids back to school.

I had to drop off some packages to a couple of house’s earlier, two separate roads, both are communities with pretty young families.
(Just so nobody gets triggered, it was just some class A drugs, and I observed good social distancing practice 😐)

the amount of kids out playing together was insane,
there were a few different groups of about 10 to 15 kids (all between 6 and 12 years old probably) just hanging around.

send them back to school 😐 makes no difference when they’re all hanging around together anyway.
🤬🤬 This makes me mad

My kids have not been playing out unsupervised or with any other kids . ..but the amount of calls they are getting asking if they can go out is ridiculous ( worse than pre covid ) the sunny weather and some of them treating it like an extended school holiday is ridiculous.

It is causing so many arguments now between me and my 2 older ones, who are insisting they are the only kids not allowed out.

Its making me feel like my kids need new friends as I'm slowing stewing anger towards the parents! Can they bit control their own kids ? Are they just lazy and want a few hours peace ?

Should I contact the parents and tell them I think they are irresponsible arseholes and my kids won't be going to hang out in the park with 20 other teenagers so stop bloody calling and texting .

Or could it be that the parents are key workers trusting their teens to stay home but the teens are going out without them knowing 🤔🤔

😔 am in the south west so this is scary and sad. I felt we might just be able to keep our cases low in hospital as they have been. Though not the case for the whole SW where i live we don't really have much public transport etc so there's not loads opportunities for community transmission.

It's also not culturally diverse at all and we don't have many ethnic minorities living here which i also felt may have contributed (as it's been reported that they are worst affected) to the lower hospitalization numbers. On the other hand it can also be referred to as gods waiting room due to the high number of elderly people and care homes so swings and rounabouts i suppose...

Sorry that was just a brain dump of my confusion around SW having the second highest R but the lowest cases in the UK.
i work in the north west and we were told to expect the peak here the 1st 2 weeks of may, so far that hasn’t happened, very busy in April but since then been okay

If you work in a school in a deprived area where kids where same clothes for days, grubby and unwashed bodies... Constant black dirt under fingernails... You would be worried about kids going bAck to school . We told clothes need to be washed as soon you get home on 60 degree wash as it can live for 72 hrs. I 've seen kids today wearing same clothes two days running... Shower / bath nightly... Likely not😰😵
The letter from our school days the children must have clean clothes ( preferably uniform ) every day . It does say they can return in sensible footwear if they have outgrown school shoes .

I was watching lives from the reopening of Disney Springs and City Walk last night because I was interested to see how it was arranged and how the public were reacting,

All you see are people with masks on touching their face...
adjusting and pulling at said masks 😐

I was watching lives from the reopening of Disney Springs and City Walk last night because I was interested to see how it was arranged and how the public were reacting,

Yes i saw this too and this is why I feel they have been right not to advise around masks here so much.. they are only truly effective if used properly and realistically the majority of people will not be doing that.

It's the illusion of preotection it gives which i guess people like...

The letter from our school days the children must have clean clothes ( preferably uniform ) every day . It does say they can return in sensible footwear if they have outgrown school shoes .
I hope our school don't need us to wear uniform. I really don't want to go and buy summer dresses for Boris to change his mind in a few weeks and close them again.
I know key worker kids don't have to so hopefully they don't make ours for these next few weeks.

I was watching lives from the reopening of Disney springs and City Walk last night because I was interested to see how it was arranged and how the public were reacting,

All you see are people with masks on touching their face adjusting and pulling at said masks 😐
we have been so excited to go back to Orlando but I think we’ll be waiting a year or so!

Yes i saw this too and this is why I feel they have been right not to advise around masks here so much.. they are only truly effective if used properly and realistically the majority of people will not be doing that.

It's the illusion of preotection it gives which i guess people like...
Florida is hot .imagine how many times you will need to adjust the mask just to have a drink !! Also I saw plenty of influencers on insta who had taken the mask down for a selfie. ( Good to see lots of them got slammed in the comments)

🤣 I keep defending myself,
I’ve never even been to Disney! (Well, a trip to Paris 20 years ago I’d rather forget 😐)
I just find the business side fascinating!

I’ve moved on to Trump and then Como 😂
funny my trip to Disneyland Paris 15 years ago was also something id like to forget ! whole trip was a disaster frim start to finish 🤣

• Haha
Ah Beni is amazing!! We went a few years back, would love to go again.
I suppose if Spain extend their state of emergency there’s no way of flying. I thought it would be mid July though.
Our Spanish holiday hasn't been cancelled yet. Even had to go through the process of picking our plane seats just to rub salt in the wound! Couldn't even get our favourite plane seats as the plane was 3/4 full.

Chris Whitty suddenly did a U turn didn't he from a few week's ago?
20200521_104431.jpg

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.