Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Meh

Chatty Member
Tonight's briefing at 4.30pm.

Amok Sharma will be joined by NHS England medical director Prof Stephen Powis.
Am I the only one who is getting frustrated about just how missing in action Boris is? In my view he should be doing those daily briefings, with support from other experts/cabinet ministers where required. He’s barely been visible at all. Every weekend off, pre recorded messages on Sunday night etc.

She gets a lot of criticism but at least Sturgeon is talking to her country regularly. 🙄

Sorry, rant over. Just very annoying that bojo is no where to be seen.

• Heart
Reactions: 37

Jess269

I have eaten takeaways once a week during lock down. It doesn't worry me at all just wash my hands.

• Heart
Reactions: 34

caitlinbullen

VIP Member
Youngest son lost a tooth yesterday. Diligently placed it under his pillow only for me and my husband to both forget to exchange it for a coin. Oops.

He comes down this morning and I'm trying to cover our mistake. I say to him well maybe she's busy, pop it back under your pillow again tonight. Also, (trying to keep it topical), maybe toothfairy isn't coming into homes right now because of lockdown? He gives me a withering look, doesn't skip a beat and replies "Mum the toothfairy has got to be a keyworker-that's the kind of thing Boris would have sorted out ages ago."

He's 9....going on 49 this kid.....

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 29

Hayles1990

Advice on visiting family.

We have socially isolated since before official lockdown, we both work from home and have followed all lockdown rules (ie. Walks in the park and the odd trip to the supermarket). I had a test last week and it was negative.

We are exhausted and my parents who live several hours away suggested we come to stay so they could help with childcare. One of our kids in particular is not coping well with lockdown and we think it might do good to see other people without the confusion of keeping 2m apart.

My parents are in their 60s, reasonably fit and active with no known health problems. Dad is a smoker though. They are retired and also following all lockdown rules.

Our worry is that now lockdown is easing as people return to work, the infection rates in our city will rise again esp as people take public transport. Then we'll have a 2nd lockdown. And without a vaccine this could continue indefinitely.

So, is this a less risky time to increase our lockdown bubble?

I'm massively conflicted and know the pros and cons. But I'd love other people's perspectives.

Editing to add: our children aren't yet school age, so we don't have to worry about that yet.
If my parents had the room I would 100% move over for a while and have some help. I say do it, you would be there for longer than a short visit and it would do all of your mental healths some good.

I’m so excited for you if you do go ♥

We ended up in A&E tonight because my son threw himself of the couch right onto the fireplace. Baby’s first stitches.

A&E was eerily quiet. Usually it’s so busy. Either people usually go for things they don’t need to go for, or people aren’t going who need to be there. Only had so many chairs available to ensure social distancing and there wasn’t many staff walking around (more police than medical staff) but most of the ones I saw walking around didn’t have masks on. We were asked whether any of us had symptoms, though, despite the fact we weren’t there for anything related.
People are definitely not going who need to be there, short story for you about this for everyone. Two weeks ago a family member of mine was walking dog and fell over and cut his head open, went home his wife cleaned it and put steristrips on and refused to go to the hospital, he took painkillers and went to bed. Next day he collapses, both of them too scared to go, over the next week he collapses SIX times, begins to get a bit ashen, being sick, fainting. They go to the hospital finally to find out that is ‘little’ cut is so deep they can see his skull and it’s infected, the infection spread to his stent in his heart and they couldn’t operate to heal it. The next day he was starting to look a bit better and then he just died. Heartbreaking for all of our family because they were too terrified of catching virus, they didn’t go and he died.

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Wow

SarahGard83

VIP Member
Breaking the rules tonight and going for a very short walk along the greenbelt next to our house. I've done 10 weeks of shielding today and had a bit of a breakdown earlier. Decided I need to do this for my sanity. If covid 19 doesn't kill me then isolation will.

• Heart

KateESJ

VIP Member
my grandma's care home remains covid-19 free 🎉

The staff is all being tested though, so hopefully it stays that way when the results are returned.

• Heart
Reactions: 26

LittleMy

VIP Member
I’d imagine takeaway places will have protective measures in place anyway, even more so now because of the virus. I don’t disinfect my shopping, never have, and we eat our takeaway food on our own plates. We wash our hands before and after.

• Heart
Reactions: 25

prinnygrace

VIP Member
I’ve said it before on these threads and I will say it again, STOP JUDGING PEOPLE’S PARENTING!!

There is no overall right or wrong thing to do. Only what suits your family and your needs and those of your children. PLEASE don’t feel guilty for any decisions you are making. You’re the only one that knows what is the best thing to do.

Nobody posting on here is in any position to criticise parenting at any time, let alone in the unknown situation we are finding ourselves in. These decisions are hard, and everyone should feel supported in the choices they make.

It really angers me seeing some of the judgemental, rude people on here!!

• Heart

JoeBloggs

VIP Member
Can we move on for the shopping washing chat now? Some people do and some people don’t. There is no wrong or right so do as you see fit.

I’ve realised that really my life hasn’t changed much in lockdown, I’m pretty shy and an introvert and spend a lot of time at home.I was never brought up in a hugging overly affectionate home. I tried to reconnect with some old friends at the beginning of lockdown, but I think my shyness puts people off, I find social interaction quite overwhelming so I think I come across badly. When I first started dating my husband people thought I was rude and he always had to explain I was painfully shy.

• Sad

Fudgecakes

Off topic of schools but is anyone else having the most crazy and vivid dreams in lock down? I am in a happy committed relationship and am dreaming in detail about my ex bf about 3 times a week! Gahhhhhh!
My boyfriend had a dream he had five willies last night. If only. 🤣🤣

• Haha

Ciechoslava

food for thought ❤

If they cancel the rest of the school year, students would miss approx 13 weeks of education. Many people are concerned about students falling behind because of this. Yes, they may fall behind when it comes to classroom education...but fall behind who ?

BUT WHAT IF ....

What if instead of falling “behind", this group of kids are ADVANCED because of this? Hear me out.

What if they have more empathy, they enjoy family connection, they can be more creative and entertain themselves, they love to read, they love to express themselves in writing.

What if they enjoy the simple things, like their own garden and sitting near a window in the quiet.

What if they notice the birds and the dates the different flowers emerge, and the calming renewal of a gentle rain shower?

What if this generation are the ones to learn to cook, organize their space, do their laundry, and keep a well run home?

What is they learn to ride a bike, play a board game, do simple crafts, learn to bake, climb a tree, play without a screen?

What if they learn to Understand the value of money, what’s important and to live with less?

What if they learn to plan shopping trips and meals at home.

What if they learn the value of eating together as a family and finding the good to share in the small delights of the everyday?

What if they learn to just be, to be more resilient, to be content ?

What if they are the ones to place great value on our teachers and educational professionals, librarians, public servants and the previously invisible essential support workers like truck drivers, grocers, logistics, and health care workers and their supporting staff, just to name a few of the millions taking care of us right now while we are sheltered in place?

What if among these children, a great leader emerges who had the benefit of a slower pace and a simpler life to truly learn what really matters in this life?

What if they are AHEAD? 🙏🏼🏡♥🏫

• Heart
Reactions: 23

JoeBloggs

VIP Member
Bloody hell I couldn’t be arsed with all that faff as much as I’m dying for a dominos 😩
We’re not doing any of that. We just received it normally and washed our hands. I’m also not doing anything different with my shopping either.

If I did I think I’d rather go without 🤣

• Heart

SarahGard83

VIP Member
Finally heard from the hospital after 10 weeks. I'm back at oncology on the 3rd July and they've given me permission to have short daily walks. I'm over the moon

• Heart

SassyRiv77

I live in a very backward small minded town. Every other weekend I allow my kids dad (we have 4 kids) come and stay in my house so he can see his children... one of my neighbours has let my tyres down twice now because of it and left nasty notes. Is this really what’s become of people? No common sense and letting down tyres of a single mum with 4 kids trying my best for everyone
I just feel so done with ignorance

• Wow
  • Angry
  • Sad

Titntat

VIP Member
*Ice cream van tune playing*
"Mum can I have an ice cream"
"NO. The are choc ices in the freezer"

• Haha
Reactions: 22

Bobbleowl90

VIP Member
I think I’ve come venting a few times on this thread about my partner not qualifying for furlough and I’m on stat maternity pay so it’s been a worrying time. We were told last week that he would be back in August so I worked all our money out to the last penny.
Anyway, for anybody who cares, he is officially back as from tomorrow! Such a relief.
I can afford extra cocktails on our would have been wedding day next week now ;)

Deaths have gone down compared to last week again too. Let’s keep this trend going 🙏🏼

• Heart
Reactions: 22