Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

EmilyChambers

VIP Member
Agreed, I have had a good look online (including UKGOV) and I cannot find any mention of having to close down the whole business and letting staff go. That does not sound logical seeing as the whole point of the government paying 80% of wages is to stop companies making people unemployed.

I am sure it will be clarified in the coming days.
Youve misunderstood what I've said.

The companies will close and let their staff go. The government will pay 80% of their wages as long as they take them back on when they reopen. If they don't take them back on, the businesses have to pay back the 80%.

It's not a permant letting go of staff but a temporary one until its safe to reopen fully.

This way, non essential businesses can close without staff worrying about money and have the security of a job when they reopen.

The very same businesses also have help sobtheu can reopen.

I'm baffled as to how you can't understand this?

How can you really think they want people to keep their non essential businesses open when they want people to isolate as much as possible, not still be able to go clothes shopping, or go to a cafe or a pub.

All non essential businesses will be closed soon and people can't seem to understand this and this is why no one is isolating because they don't think its serious.

Abcd123

VIP Member
I think this is something that figures don’t tell us or give us the full picture on. And as we’ve been s**t at testing we can’t possibly know how many people actually have it or have been asymptotic. I’m not saying it’s not serious because it’s very serious and I’m taking the social distancing and self isolation part seriously but I would take all the figures with a pinch of salt because I don’t think it’s anywhere close to the real picture.
As in.... It may be worse? Or better?

Smallpotato

VIP Member
My daughter is self isolating. I’ve not been out since Wednesday and I’m calling work tomorrow and saying I’m not coming in to self isolate. Sod em, my family & health come first. My manager wasn’t understanding at all. I’m a mental health practitioner/counsellor and we help people with other issues like debt and financial which is in dire need right now - really hope they fast track home working. I want to be able to help others and carrying on with my role just safely. X
let me know how it goes. I’m speaking with my manager tomorrow but I doubt she’s going to shift.

Yel

Chatty Member
nice to see my neighbours adhering to social isolation. 2 lots have just had family turn up including babies and children. Dumb fucks like this are why we’ll be in lockdown 🙄😡🤦🏻‍♀️
People keep saying we're lucky this is now and not November. Although if it was November and bitterly cold breaking up for Christmas early and a few weeks quarantine and it could be over by jan.

Brighton beach does look a lot more empty, but not deserted today. There's people on the palace pier, you'd of thought that would be closed.
Screenshot_2020-03-22-14-07-58-747_com.android.chrome.jpg

monga

VIP Member
i thought it already was? whats changed?
I read earlier they were closing all amenities like parks etc where people could go walking ...don't think they can leave their home only for necessities ? the army were patrolling..

Mizzdee

But didn’t that generation grow up before vaccines were available/routine and diseases that are now almost eradicated (at least in this country, like polio) were relatively widespread and deadly?

It wasn’t that long ago where people died all the time of diseases that are now preventable. Maybe because it’s so long ago for them, they’ve forgotten how ruthless these things can be

I do think some of them are happy with the lives they’ve lived and are willing to take the risk, but their choices could harm other people. I’m not personally concerned about the effects of coronavirus on me or the people I’m close to, but I’m still social distancing to protect others who are less fortunate & I think everyone should be practicing this
Yes but I suppose for them, it was before all medical advancements so the possibility of the risk of dying whether it be in childbirth, polio and things like syphilis was just accepted as a fact of life 🤷‍♀️

hrh89

VIP Member
Picture from Twitter today of Victoria Park in London 🤦🤦🤦🤦🤦🤦🤦🤦🤦🤦🤦
I can understand people wanting to go for walks and maybe (just maybe) they thought it would be quiet ? BUT is that a market going on?? Shouldn’t that all be closed anyway?

rainbowlemon

VIP Member
View attachment 98479
This is near me and where I sometimes take mine and my clients dogs. On Thursday it was dead at 9 o’clock and the picture is today.

People who don’t usually/have no need to go for walks are all out in force, when they could simply walk around the road for 15/20 minutes
Stolen from a mumsnet thread I also read! xDD

(as you can see I have clearly been using my lockdown time well)

Last edited:

Jg182

The Government will only pay 80% of wages if the entire business is closed to everyone and no one is being paid.

I'm assuming they are getting paid and no one is painting out of kindness.
they are all salaried staff and we’re all going to be paid fully anyway, before the government said about the 80% pay.
We are in hospitality are we are officially closed.
They just thought it was a good idea to keep people working for their money as long as possible hence the painting.
I agreed to do it as I couldn’t afford to say no to work.

Fmf17

Chatty Member
I’m on my way to the vets by bus so scared but it’s essential so having to do it despite the coronavirus warning to stay in and not travel :( is this ok?
I’m going to the vets tomorrow with my cat he needs his booster injections. I see this as essential because I’m potentially putting him at, a non corona virus related, risk if I don’t