Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #12

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Anybody else finding it’s making you rethink your food usage? Yesterday I did a joint of meat and there was a bit left not enough for a meal but normally I’d have shared it out but I took a bit off each plate and made another meal to freeze it. It’ll certainly make us rethink lots of things! I’m either going to end it super fat (no waste it all needs eating 😂) or skinny because I’ve made my meals smaller
Yes, I get very anxious so I’m finding it hard not to want to save food by eating less, even food that won’t keep (e.g. bread, I’ve no room to freeze it). It’s set off my frugal mindset in other ways too - I’m suddenly feeling more mindful of water/electricity usage even though it’s not impacted by the virus. All these people stockpiling make it seem like the war effort!

Reactions: 9
Does anyone know who is doing the update today ? (Where do people find this info ?)

Anyone got an idea what it might be today ? I have been thinking lockdown since Thursday but I guess they need to take it a step at a time to have the best chance of people complying ? There isn't really anything left to close down now is there ? Are clothes shops etc still open ? Lockdown has to be soon ?
I can categorically state that clothes shops are not open anymore. :LOL: Don't know anything about an update yet....normally its on BBC News, at least that's where I watch it

Reactions: 2
Morning!
A friend's daughter is returning from New Zealand tomorrow, any idea if she needs to isolate on return. Her mum is a NHS key worker and we may have to find her a place to stay if daughter needs to isolate. Any thoughts gratefully received. Cant find any info online

Can I ask you ladies for advice as you’re all level headed on this forum. My husband has asthma, I have ME recently diagnosed, fibro and a few other conditions (not in high risk groups but I know I’d seriously struggle with this virus so I do think I’m at risk). Hubby is working from home now for at least 12 weeks, kids off school but our eldest, her office won’t close. She told her boss about her parents having health issues and being advised to isolate but her boss just said use your holidays if you feel you need to isolate too. Se continued to let her work last week but we hoped they’d close by Friday, they didn’t. Now I’m terrified to send her to work tomorrow, what would you do in our situation? She’s scared to lose her job, she’s only been there 4 months as a junior in an office. She loves her job, and is scared they’ll sack her or let her go if she asks to stay home. They said she can’t work at home.
Not sure what the legal stance is maybe someone else can advise but if they won't agree could she say she or someone in the household has symptoms and needs to self isolate ? It is not right to lie I know but her work seem to be going against the government advice for your family x

Hopefully they won't have a choice in a day or two x

Not sure what the legal stance is maybe someone else can advise but if they won't agree could she say she or someone in the household has symptoms and needs to self isolate ? It is not right to lie I know but her work seem to be going against the government advice for your family x

Hopefully they won't have a choice in a day or too x
Thank you. I just assumed if you had a parents advised to do 12 weeks isolation the whole family has to do the same so assumed her boss would know and understand that.

Reactions: 1
Thank you. I just assumed if you had a parents advised to do 12 weeks isolation the whole family has to do the same so assumed her boss would know and understand that.
Yes I agree and I think most reasonable bosses would obviously hers is not !

I'm not sure that is true, I heard from an employment lawyer on LBC that a company can choose who is on the retention 80% scheme and cycle it around different employees so the buisness could stay open with less people actually working.
We've been advised by our local authority that we can only claim the 80% pay if we close the business down, let all staff go and take them back on after.

We are providing care for children of keyline workers. All staff have been offered hours, they've turned them down and are choosing to not work so they won't be paid. We were told again by the LA if they do this, they can claim universal credit as a stop gap or sick pay if they are isolating with symptoms but they can't take the 80% pay if they have been offered hours and are choosing not to take them.

Maybe it's different because we are providing a service essential and not a non essential business like a cafe?

Our Owner said if the 80% had been offered straight away, she would have kept us closed.

We've now got 20 children a day, all of whom have NHS front line working parents to take care of.

I'm now anxious about catching it through them and bringing it home but then I'm anxious about not having money to get by. My husbands the same as he works in hospitals all over the country but at least his work are providing ppe for him.

Reactions: 3
Feel a bit bored of all these status and posts from people “I AM BEGGING YOU TO STAY INSIDE” I think the message has got to the population and those that are ignoring it aren’t going to stay in because you’ve posted a mask selfie. Maybe I’m just cynical....

Can I ask you ladies for advice as you’re all level headed on this forum. My husband has asthma, I have ME recently diagnosed, fibro and a few other conditions (not in high risk groups but I know I’d seriously struggle with this virus so I do think I’m at risk). Hubby is working from home now for at least 12 weeks, kids off school but our eldest, her office won’t close. She told her boss about her parents having health issues and being advised to isolate but her boss just said use your holidays if you feel you need to isolate too. Se continued to let her work last week but we hoped they’d close by Friday, they didn’t. Now I’m terrified to send her to work tomorrow, what would you do in our situation? She’s scared to lose her job, she’s only been there 4 months as a junior in an office. She loves her job, and is scared they’ll sack her or let her go if she asks to stay home. They said she can’t work at home.
Ask them to put that in writing. Then she uses her holidays to self isolate, by which time fingers crossed, the place will have shut to everyone. If not, then she says you or another family member has symptoms, so she must isolate. At least if she has tried everything by the book, and they essentially force her to continue putting herself (and you) at risk, then I think she has to look out for her family. I'm not for lying in any form, but these are unique circumstances and putting profit before people is just wrong.

The Government will only pay 80% of wages if the entire business is closed to everyone and no one is being paid.

I'm assuming they are getting paid and no one is painting out of kindness.
they are all salaried staff and we’re all going to be paid fully anyway, before the government said about the 80% pay.
We are in hospitality are we are officially closed.
They just thought it was a good idea to keep people working for their money as long as possible hence the painting.
I agreed to do it as I couldn’t afford to say no to work.

We've been advised by our local authority that we can only claim the 80% pay if we close the business down, let all staff go and take them back on after.

We are providing care for children of keyline workers. All staff have been offered hours, they've turned them down and are choosing to not work so they won't be paid. We were told again by the LA if they do this, they can claim universal credit as a stop gap or sick pay if they are isolating with symptoms but they can't take the 80% pay if they have been offered hours and are choosing not to take them.

Maybe it's different because we are providing a service essential and not a non essential business like a cafe?

Our Owner said if the 80% had been offered straight away, she would have kept us closed.

We've now got 20 children a day, all of whom have NHS front line working parents to take care of.

I'm now anxious about catching it through them and bringing it home but then I'm anxious about not having money to get by. My husbands the same as he works in hospitals all over the country but at least his work are providing ppe for him.
I'd wait for the details to be released, I would be very surprised if they're incentivising closing the whole business over keeping it open with skeleton staff.

• Heart
I can categorically state that clothes shops are not open anymore. :LOL: Don't know anything about an update yet....normally its on BBC News, at least that's where I watch it
Looking at my two local shopping centers on Facebook they both seem to be open but have closed the food courts. That seems madness !

• Wow
Anybody else finding it’s making you rethink your food usage? Yesterday I did a joint of meat and there was a bit left not enough for a meal but normally I’d have shared it out but I took a bit off each plate and made another meal to freeze it. It’ll certainly make us rethink lots of things! I’m either going to end it super fat (no waste it all needs eating 😂) or skinny because I’ve made my meals smaller
Yes. It has hit home to me just how lucky we are. War time rations were so much less and I wish I could go back in time and tell my grandparent’s how remarkable they were to have lived on rations for years. They also didn’t have the advantage of freezers that we have.

Last night, as I was dishing up my family’s dinner, I realised I wasn’t particularly hungry. Usually I would have eaten it anyway. Instead I put mine in a freezer bag and, once it had cooled down, I popped it in the freezer.
A few hours later I had crackers and a little bit of cheese which was enough for me.

It’s also made me realise how much I do eat when I’m not really hungry. That in itself is a waste and I want to rectify that.

Also, yesterday I saw online that if you freeze milk in ice cube trays, each cube is enough for one cup of tea so I’ve frozen some just in case we can’t get milk next week. At least my husband will still be able to have his morning cuppa.
B453CAF6-5B1C-4640-A7DA-D2DDB7387BDC.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Feel a bit bored of all these status and posts from people “I AM BEGGING YOU TO STAY INSIDE” I think the message has got to the population and those that are ignoring it aren’t going to stay in because you’ve posted a mask selfie. Maybe I’m just cynical....
God Facebook in general is too much this week.

It's either share after share of info from the front line.

People being twats and saying it's nothing, going out or trying to say they had it at Christmas and are immune to it 🙈

Or sharing 50,000 home schooling ideas,workout videos, French lessons.

It's information overload ! I wish people could just post the government advice and bloody follow it !

Reactions: 9
Just on the topic to people "escaping to the country" to avoid the virus - PLEASE DON'T.

I live in a rural area with a lot of islands, and residents are having to petition our MSP to get the gov to step in with the number of people heading our way. We already struggle with infrastructure and access to medical aid and food in normal times, and extra numbers are just going to make this worse. Services are a supply and demand thing, so STAY AT HOME where your local infrastructure is based on the population rather than putting others in less populated areas (and yourself) at risk.

< / rant >

Reactions: 14
7902B661-58DE-42DD-913C-DAC96B227134.jpeg

Everyone acting like the government have given us a 12 month summer holiday for the laugh...

• Haha
Reactions: 17

I saw a instagram story from the_onlycookiemonster (someone who lives in the Cotswolds) the number of people walking outside is nuts.

I liked greywolf's wankpuffin. Maybe coviwank ? xDD

For FODsake what a coviwank!

• Haha
Looking at my two local shopping centers on Facebook they both seem to be open but have closed the food courts. That seems madness !
My local shopping centre has also closed the food court, reduced hours and several of the shops are now closed. I have a friend that works at a travel agents in the shopping centre and she’s said it was so quiet yesterday and there were also armed police. I’ve not seen armed police in a shopping centre since the Manchester bombing.

Attachments

• Wow
Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.