Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #108

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
First line of this article

‘Two doses of some vaccines offer almost no protection from an Omicron infection, although they should still greatly reduce the risk of becoming so ill you need hospital care.’

So the first 2 vaccines give you no protection (way to talk the unvaccinated round) and this third dose should reduce risk, still no guarantees there. When is the next variant due that you’ll need the fourth booster for?
It says “from an Omicron infection” - which was expected since it is much more transmissible as well as the mutations that evade vaccine.

Reactions: 1
The vaccines do not reduce transmission. They have said this over and over, after the companies lied about it. Not sure about AZ, but Pfizer and Moderna don't prevent infection whatsoever. Maybe to the tune of 5-10%.

And judging by how we test in the West, well, they keep looking for cases, they'll keep finding them. Are they sick people? No.

It's all to keep this going forever.

Reactions: 15
I couldn’t be friends with someone like that 😂

Requesting face masks at school drop off is going well….5% wearing them and my child’s own teacher isn’t bothering 😂
It’s the same at my school. Most teachers are wearing them but majority of parents aren’t. They can’t possibly police it (and I don’t want them to) and people are realising this. I’ve never seen the point in wearing a mask outside. I see elderly people walking down the street on their own with a mask on regularly and it’s sad to see. They’re on their own with no one around them, what is the point?

Apparently we've now run out of PCRs in England now too at test sites 🙄. Couldn't make it up could you
Maybe we should stop testing people who present no symptoms. Bloody ridiculous this.

Reactions: 14
I’ve linked studies many times but don’t think anyone has ever taken notice. 😆
Unless you’ve got inside info that even the scientists don’t have access to they’re not proof of anything, they’ll never be able to test the world simultaneously so there’s no way of ever knowing that.

Reactions: 3
Unless you’ve got inside info that even the scientists don’t have access to they’re not proof of anything, they’ll never be able to test the world simultaneously so there’s no way of ever knowing that.
We’ve also discussed this before regarding testing on a mass scale. No matter what the study is - testing a whole population is not feasible. However the studies will choose a sample that is large enough to draw a conclusion.

Reactions: 4
We’ve also discussed this before regarding testing on a mass scale. No matter what the study is - testing a whole population is not feasible. However the studies will choose a sample that is large enough to draw a conclusion.
Again not worth the paper it’s written on it’s real world data that’s telling.

Reactions: 7
Could the data from SA saying 2 doses does reduce omicron be because these people have had their second dose more recently? There fore it hasn’t waned as much as here?

Most of us in the UK are at least 3/4 months out from our second dose if not more.

Reactions: 5
Again not worth the paper it’s written on it’s real world data that’s telling.
They use real world data too.

Could the data from SA saying 2 doses does reduce omicron be because these people have had their second dose more recently?

Most of us in the UK are at least 3/4 months out from our second dose of not more.
There could be a lot of factors as to why they came to this conclusion and possibly because of the one you mention since their vaccine uptake has been low compared to ours.

And still decently effective against Delta which is still the predominant strain in the UK.
Exactly. 👍🏻

Reactions: 1
They use real world data too.

There could be a lot of factors as to why they came to this conclusion and possibly because of the one you mention since their vaccine uptake has been low compared to ours.

Exactly. 👍🏻
Which has shown they don’t stop transmission or why are we in this position time and time again!

Reactions: 3
Sorry if this has already been posted but looks better than expected from this tweet:

Reactions: 8
70% against hospitalization esp in elderly cohorts who are those who do get ill and die of the common cold is all good news for sure.

IMO this is nature's way out of this as happens with every pandemic. Let it rip, stop testing people w/o actual symptoms (severe symptoms! as we did with H1N1, as we do with reg flu, etc), get vaccinated, move forward. Restrictions, lockdowns only delay the inevitable and have caused economic destruction on a scale not seen since world wars.

Reactions: 11
Which has shown they don’t stop transmission or why are we in this position time and time again!
I’ve explained as to why. When the vaccines were first trialled - it was against the dominant variant at that point which was the Alpha/Beta and the vaccines were effective in reducing it. Since then, the virus has mutated - Delta came along, as did Omicron = more transmissible, mutations = evade vaccine. The vaccine did not change and magically stop working. The nature of the virus did.

Reactions: 2
Based on the tweet I just posted… I suppose it actually make sense that we want Omicron to become the dominant variant over Delta? If it produces more than 50% less hospitalisations even with the same vaccination level?

I guess the issue is if it does spread that much faster we would still end up with more in hospital at one time than over a longer period so in my mind it does make sense that they want to slow the spread but not stop it.

If all that is true, the plan b measures make sense (except passports) over implementing a full lockdown. As we have all said, it’s endemic so surely we would prefer everyone get this less deadly strain if they are going to get one.

Or we wait for the next one which is hopefully even less deadly!

Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.